Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
the messenger

Puel

I think we just really need to get behind Puel and the team from the off this season because another early sacking could be pretty disastrous. Bring back the same level of unwavering support we had when we were first promoted and the following season where we only went and won the league! 

At least give it a go for the first couple of games? 

• Like 1

I'm quite sure Puel has a few players he'd like to bring in but his hands are tied. We simply have too many players not up to requirements.

Puel didn't sign them yet he's expected to work with them and try and forge a successful team.

He's not the problem but he may be the victim of the problem.

2 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

Absolutely spot on. Never known a pre season like it for negativity 

If people are basing negatively on pre season, well that’s plain daft given the circumstances.

However, I do think the feelings stem from seasons bullshit from the last 20 games or whatever it was. It certainly does from me anyway. 

Im trying to conceive how he can turn that ‘style’ into something near entertaining / or enabling positive results and I just can’t see it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

If people are basing negatively on pre season, well that’s plain daft given the circumstances.

However, I do think the feelings stem from seasons bullshit from the last 20 games or whatever it was. It certainly does from me anyway. 

Im trying to conceive how he can turn that ‘style’ into something near entertaining / or enabling positive results and I just can’t see it.

Yeah I do understand the reasoning for it but I just think we should at least get behind him and the team going into the season. If there’s no change he’ll be replaced I’m pretty sure of that

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, seenitall said:

18th on the day Shakey was sacked, slight rebound once he left (beating a relegation destined side) but essentially we were relegation fodder with Shakey and finished 9th under Puel - it's a bit hair splitty to say 'spouting a myth' but OK we were 14th a week later when he came in.

Funny how the mass of followers on here can be all negative about a manager and that is the right thing to do yet anyone daring to criticise some of the others in the past for way worse crimes against football than finishing in the top half of the Prem and they are not true supporters of the club - get behind the team and all that - by all means predict a poor start, but a lot of the abuse on here is sad and unwarranted.

A good run from October to December put us into the top half, the rest of the season was us, Everton and Burnley trying their absolute hardest to not finish 7th.

Edited by AKCJ
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

We also ended the 1999-2000 season under ‘St. Martin’ in 8th. 

He won’t let the truth get in the way of his agenda. 

I see this place is still as toxic as ever - no agenda - since when has suggesting getting behind the current manager been an agenda? Fair point on 8th, although O'Neil did lose more games than Puel in that season.

To be fair, to come back with a response like that suggests an agenda on your part, still pining for Nigel Pearson are we?

I'm excited for the new season and the future under Puel. 

He is focusing on youth, and seems to be planning for the future rather than immediate results. 

When he came in, you could see the difference in our football. Nice passing etc. It went off the boil, yes, but hopefully when the window closes he will have the players to fit his style and prove everyone wrong.

We have an exciting young squad, new training facilities coming up and an ambitious board. 

Shame some fans see this and want him out so strongly so we can inevitably replace him with Allardyce or Pardew.

• Like 2

Never been a fan of the ‘who else are we going to bring’ argument but in this case I think it’s relevant. I’ve not seen any realistic shouts that would fill me with anymore confidence than Puel does. Well except for :pearson:

• Like 1

For every body not happy with Puel there are 15 people complaining about the negativity. This is a Leicester City forum,discussing the manager is part of what this forum is about.

• Like 2

Just now, That_Dude said:

There is discussing the manager and there is a witch hunt.

The season didn't even start, we just had a couple of friendlies, still don't know how many new players we will bring in nor how much will be shipped, yet people are calling for his head.

How about waiting for a couple of (real) games, see how things pan out and then eventually start moaning?

Witch hunt? How many people are we talking about? Maybe half a dozen? How many people are complaining about negativity? 50 or 60? It's just another thing to moan about. At least the anti Puel crew,who haven't been moaning half as much as is being pretended, have last season's woeful displays to base their complaints on.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, seenitall said:

I see this place is still as toxic as ever - no agenda - since when has suggesting getting behind the current manager been an agenda? Fair point on 8th, although O'Neil did lose more games than Puel in that season.

To be fair, to come back with a response like that suggests an agenda on your part, still pining for Nigel Pearson are we?

I wasn’t really being serious mate. 

Who doesn’t pine for big nige?:wub:

Although I hope for success more, which isn’t going to happen hounding Puel. 

Edited by ARTY_FOX

11 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Witch hunt? How many people are we talking about? Maybe half a dozen? How many people are complaining about negativity? 50 or 60? It's just another thing to moan about. At least the anti Puel crew,who haven't been moaning half as much as is being pretended, have last season's woeful displays to base their complaints on.

Lol, yeah right.

Not his team, Mahrez drama. Try to keep up. Last season was always was going to be a hit and miss but you lot never liked him from the very beginning and have an axe to grind. 

It's only this season where he can be properly judged.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, That_Dude said:

There is discussing the manager and there is a witch hunt.

The season didn't even start, we just had a couple of friendlies, still don't know how many new players we will bring in nor how much will be shipped, yet people are calling for his head.

How about waiting for a couple of (real) games, see how things pan out and then eventually start moaning?

You have a tendency of greatly exaggerating fans' view of players (well, one player in particular) and the manager.

Nobody's been calling for Puel's head after the most recent pre-season friendlies, from what I can tell, it's more a case of people being concerned about our team's future success under Puel. He still has some credit, but what he can't allow is for the team to perform the way it did for most part during the second half of last season.

Rest of the transfer window and the start to the new season will be very telling.

Edited by MC Prussian

6 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

You have a tendency of greatly exaggerating fans' view of players (well, one player in particular) and the manager.

Nobody's been calling for Puel's head after the most recent pre-season friendlies, from what I can tell, it's more a case of people being concerned about our team's future success under Puel. He still has some credit, but what he can't allow is for the team to perform the way it did for most part during the second half of last season.

Rest of the transfer window and the start to the new season will be very telling.

And you a tendancy at splitting hairs. Or playing with words.

Read the match previous match threads again or this one for that matter.  A notable part of this forum just can't wait to see him sacked.

Edited by That_Dude

20 hours ago, mozartfox said:

The real concern I have is, surely Puel told the Board back in May that we need to replace Morgan. Evans is a very slight upgrade and at best a very short-term fix. 

The same Evans that West Brom wanted £30m for last season?

The same Evans that Man City and Arsenal tried to buy in the last 12 months?

The same Evans that has been West Brom's best player in two of the last three seasons?

The same Evan that Alex Ferguson was stunned when Man Utd sold him and thought it was a huge mistake?

1 hour ago, Webbo said:

Something, I suspect, they'll continue to base their complaints on ad infinitum regardless of how we actually do under him from now on. We were fvcking rubbish in some games, no doubt about it, but the hysteria created as a result of that is utterly ridiculous and now won't stop until he does leave the club - whenever that may be.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, That_Dude said:

And you a tendancy at splitting hairs. Or playing with words.

Read the match previous match threads again or this one for that matter.  A notable part of this forum just can't wait to see him sacked.

Just because a notable part of this forum (which only represents a fraction the fanbase as a whole) "can't wait to see him sacked" doesn't mean there's a witch hunt going on.

Exaggeration muchly?

Managers usually always walk first in times of crisis, and based on the overall performance on the pitch last season, I can understand why some people are very concerned about this upcoming campaign.

Not that they aren't willing to be more patient and see how he does with a full pre-season and new players at his disposal.

12 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Something, I suspect, they'll continue to base their complaints on ad infinitum regardless of how we actually do under him from now on. We were fvcking rubbish in some games, no doubt about it, but the hysteria created as a result of that is utterly ridiculous and now won't stop until he does leave the club - whenever that may be.

Then he'll have to prove us wrong. Until he does,doubts about his ability are entirely justified.

When we inevitably lose to United this place will be toxic. I have my doubts about Puel (who doesn't) but the witch hunt will gather pace quickly. Have we chanted Puel's name once, even during the winning run when he first got here? Can't remember at all.

His English has definitely improved, mind.

Just now, Frost said:

When we inevitably lose to United this place will be toxic. I have my doubts about Puel (who doesn't) but the witch hunt will gather pace quickly. Have we chanted Puel's name once, even during the winning run when he first got here? Can't remember at all.

His English has definitely improved, mind.

Depends on the performance. Losing away to Man U wouldn't be a shock, if we give a good account of ourselves,don't get thrashed,manage a few attempts on goal ( not a blocked shot after a painfully slow build up means they have every defender back) and generally look competent then I won't complain.

• Like 1

Those crying foul of those showing negativity should perhaps consider where this has stemmed from - and accept that it is Puel and the teams performances under him that have allowed that to breed. 

I can understand some wishing to give him a clean slate, a chance to prove their faith that a pre-season and a further transfer window will bring a change and positive results; and that’s fine if that’s the route you wish to take, but for others and myself included I just don’t see these factors changing much.

Personally, I just can’t shake the feeling that he’s not the right man in terms of feel for the club and in his general ethos and decision making. His values and direction don’t match the ones i’ve come to signify with Leicester City - which is why I’m disappointed the club didn’t take action to change course after last season ended. 

And perhaps the big pointer to why so many don’t see much future with Puel in charge is because he lacks any sort of strong personality. The quiet, thoughtful manager may work at some clubs, but if you look at our history of managers, both good, great and awful, they all had something about them, an eccentricity and boldness, that helped carry people with their ideas to a point.

Only time will tell whether my own doubts in Puel will be proved right - but such is my conviction in my footballing knowledge here, I fear I am and many will come to feel this summer was yet another opportunity wasted.

• Like 1