Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
the messenger

Puel

25 minutes ago, Babylon said:

What was that style of football that suited us? Because the defend all game, try and counter with 30% possession had seen us in the relegation zones twice in two seasons. That was rumbled long ago and with teams sitting deeper, giving us respect and presenting us with possession quite often we were awful as we had no idea what to do with it.

Puel's idea of moving us into a team far more comfortable with possession was the right one in terms of trying to progress us as a team and deal with teams now playing us differenrly. We can argue about the finer details of that style, but IMO it was the right move.

We didn't play possession football against Arsenal and we didn't do too bad. The idea of possession is that the opposition can't score if you've got the ball but the goals we conceded in the second half of the season prove that didn't work either.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Webbo said:

We didn't play possession football against Arsenal and we didn't do too bad. The idea of possession is that the opposition can't score if you've got the ball but the goals we conceded in the second half of the season prove that didn't work either.

Arsenal didn't sit deep against us, it's no shock that style still has some success against teams that attack us is it. In fact I think Puel predicted it. Just like how Vardy gets success against the top teams as he has space to run into. Rather than coming up against 4 defenders and two DCM's who don't move all game.

The possession game we were playing isn't the finished article, I'd have thought that was obvious. Hence us buying totally different types of players this summer at CB, RB and 10 to help with the transition.

Edited by Babylon
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Yes and with this in mind I think most teams will know how to beat us. Sit back and watch us pass the ball around their box for a few minutes then when we make a mistake out run our slow centre backs who have edged further and further forward and slot home past our keeper.

That would have been the case for the last 4 seasons anyway, not just under puel.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

Had we won just less than half of those games we would be in Europe this season. It wasn’t an unrealistic ask if the manager had played a style of football that suited the personnel available at that time.

Whilst that is correct, what the hell would Puel wanted to have done that for? (I'm sort of joking).

Some on here are absolutely hysterical about our prospects this season anyway. Someone actually posted the other day that with Puel in charge there would be zero entertainment and zero goals. I think they were referring to the first 10 games but nevertheless, that was a pretty ridiculous statement to post. It just shows the level of utter panic people seem to get into even before a competitive ball has been kicked. Imagine the despair from those posters if we had to contend with the Europa league on top of our domestic fixtures this season?

Personally, I'm in agreement with you, I would have liked to have qualified for Europe. Even with the extra strain it would have placed on the squad, it should always be our aim. Puel has still to fully convince me and his teams did produce turgid football at times last season but they also produced some good stuff (though not always with the end product in terms of result).

I get that people were disappointed with some of the performances, we all were. We all want them to play scintillating football and win every game. I still can't get why so many concentrate on last season one week away from our first match of this season. It just seems such a waste of time as we can't change past performances and results. If we are boring, ponderous and show no improvements after 10 games this season, I'd expect Puel to be relieved of his duties but ,wishing for that to happen, as some seem to (not suggesting you btw), should result in a ban from FT, the KP and Leicestershire in my opinion.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dr The Singh said:

I'm not sure he is going to survive, we lack real creativity and end product, he needs a couple of signings.....where's GTF these days?

I have a feeling our full backs will play a much, much larger role in our creativity.

His faith in Chilwell last season was incredible. And his first and only big purchase was Richardo.

Our goal against Udinese looked like it may be a blueprint: get possession, launch a full back down the wing, and get it onto the end of Vardy or Iheanacho.

But this requires quick passing possession football. And with Wes's short, slow, laborious passes we're going to find that difficult.

If Evans stays injured, we don't buy a new centre half or Wes finds his way into the team anyway I worry how well we'll fair.

• Like 2

An interesting discussion. It seems a number of people have written Puel off after a questionable last 15 games or more. I've been willing to give Puel time to adjust the team to his style with his players, even through a number of turgid games last season.  As I have stated before, I've seen enough promising signs to think he has half a chance of succeeding. 

I would suggest that nobody can be completely confident with Puel and the jury must still be out but surely we go in to the season with optimism until we have it knocked out of us by poor performances and results. 

You never know. It might not be that bad!

Edited by The Prince
  • Like 2

On 30/07/2018 at 09:25, That_Dude said:

There is discussing the manager and there is a witch hunt.

The season didn't even start, we just had a couple of friendlies, still don't know how many new players we will bring in nor how much will be shipped, yet people are calling for his head.

How about waiting for a couple of (real) games, see how things pan out and then eventually start moaning?

On 30/07/2018 at 09:33, Webbo said:

Witch hunt? How many people are we talking about? Maybe half a dozen? How many people are complaining about negativity? 50 or 60? It's just another thing to moan about.

People moaning about people moaning about people moaning.

The new staple of FoxesTalk.

FTMirrors.JPG.4cd9335786a2a826d87ab2ed06b8cc76.JPG

Bookies can clearly get things wrong...but not too often. They don’t usually like losing their money.

If they have Puel as fave in the sack race, it will be based on them assessing our playing staff, vis a vis our level of expectation and would have concluded we don’t have the players or the manager to be where the owners think we should be.

Whether this is true or not..time will tell.

• Thanks 1

Guest MattP

"The book-err-makkerrrs they said Ranieri is first for sackkkk"

Seriously though, he's up there but different bookies have different favourites, Benitez is the shortest with most of them, one of them has Mourinho. 

4 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Bookies can clearly get things wrong...but not too often. They don’t usually like losing their money.

If they have Puel as fave in the sack race, it will be based on them assessing our playing staff, vis a vis our level of expectation and would have concluded we don’t have the players or the manager to be where the owners think we should be.

It'll mainly be based on the fact punters are putting their money on it and reducing the odds!!.... like when Klopp was favourite to be our new manager.

2 minutes ago, tetly said:

Are the owners looking to bring in Rafa Benitez? I just read something on sky sports transfer gossip. Any of the people with inside information know anything?

Benitez has one year left on his contract & comes with an expensive buyout figure. 

He is an excellent manager but is very defensive minded so I'm not sure he would suit the Leicester philosophy.

I am a big fan of him but still feel that Puel needs a solid chance  first

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Col city fan said:

They get plenty wrong, there's just no way they'll possibly lose on a 21 horse race market.