Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Claude Puel lays out his vision for Leicester City

2 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

@davieG Thanks for posting that.

Once again I think Puel says all the right thinks and it makes you excited for what comes next. It is the right approach and way of thinking from the owners for the club to improve us long term.

But I think he still needs to win the fans over with more exciting displays or it could become toxic.

What he needs to do is to get them out of the starting blocks a bit quicker as the poor start rather than the finish is what people are remembering.

As I said in a previous post it seems like the players are concentrating so hard on their passing, which doesn't come naturally or hasn't been part of their game for so long that they're losing site of why they're on the pitch which is to score goals until they go behind.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

Sounds like a dead man walking imo, looks like Top has had a word in his ear. He needs results.

Well he's in a no win situation, if  he explains what he's doing he's trying to save his job, if he's says nothing fans get on his back claiming he doesn't know what he's doing or what his best team is. 

Depends which side of the coin you want to see.

2 hours ago, Gerard said:

Puel has done more than enough to be allowed to see this through. We were relegation threatened when he took over and soon pulled away from the relegation zone and we threatened to get Europa Cup football for most of that time. He's done what was required of him this season.

He is a builder, almost any fool can see that. He could have spent a fortune in January but was patient and kept his tinder dry as he didn't want to enter the January market when it's either pay vastly inflated prices or rummage through the jumble sale of players discarded by their clubs. Puel bided his time and allowed the current squad another half a season to prove their worth. 

I expect us to have a busy summer as he discards players who aren't suitable and buys in players that are. It says something when people think the club is in crisis as we're 8th in the PL in April.

One thing worries me a lot these days - fans using the "but we're 8th" as an argument in favour of Puel. As it stands, we're letting Burnley slip away and coupled with Newcastle and Everton on a run of good results, in danger of dropping down in the table. We are looking to get closer to 17th than we are to 7th!

And although it's highly unlikely, we are not completely out of the relegation troubles as of yet. Tonight's game against Southampton will be decisive, because with at least one point, they can no longer catch us.

What would your assessment be if we were to be found in 10th to 12th place, for instance? Still that *ahem* enthusiastic? (Sorry for putting words in your mouth)

Edited by MC Prussian

The Puel vs Shakespeare record is misleading, because the vast majority of points CS gained were from last season. I really wanted him to do well, but we were ****ing abysmal at the start of this year. He didn't lose his job because we lost to Arsenal, United and Liverpool. He lost it because we were absolutely pathetic against Huddersfield, Bournemouth and West Brom, lying in 18th.

Somehow we didn't lose any of them. We actually stepped it up against the bigger teams. No matter who we played, we were always the team on the back foot, only we didn't look dangerous going forward either.

He did a fantastic job as caretaker, but for whatever reason we looked awful under him as the full-time manager. I felt really sad for him when he got sacked, because he deserved a better farewell. Although had he stayed, we really could've gone down.

Edited by RonnieTodger
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

One thing worries me a lot these days - fans using the "but we're 8th" as an argument in favour of Puel. As it stands, we're letting Burnley slip away and coupled with Newcastle and Everton on a run of good results, in danger of dropping down in the table. We are closer to 17th than we are to 7th!

And although it's highly unlikely, we are not completely out of the relegation troubles as of yet. Tonight's game against Southampton will be decisive, because with at least one point, they can no longer catch us.

What would your assessment be if we were to be found in 10th to 12th place, for instance? Still that *ahem* enthusiastic? (Sorry for putting words in your mouth)

The only teams who have done better than us this season are the big six and Burnley. We have performed better than every other club and Burnley have had a once in a generation type season as they sit two points behind Arsenal. I'm hoping we win another two or three games this season just to keep the wolves from Puel's door more than anything else.

I believe in Puel. I think he a strong minded man who knows exactly what he wants and I think if we sacked him in the summer it's back to square one. Let him evolve the team as he sees fit. He already has my approval for his philosophy on young players being nurtured. He soon assessed those of little value to the squad and tried to get rid of them in January whilst bringing in one young player for buttons and allowing the current squad to prove themselves. A lesser manager would have spent a lot of money in January trying to make small gains straight the way at the expense of long term gains. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

One thing worries me a lot these days - fans using the "but we're 8th" as an argument in favour of Puel. As it stands, we're letting Burnley slip away and coupled with Newcastle and Everton on a run of good results, in danger of dropping down in the table. We are closer to 17th than we are to 7th!

10 clear of 17th, 9 behind 7th. Definitely not closer to 17th, marginally closer to 7th...

And we are out of relegation troubles. Stoke and WBA can't catch us no matter what, Southampton and Swansea need to win all remaining games to catch us, but still have to play each other.

Edited by The Doctor

I don’t care where we finish this season now

i care where we finish next season 

however, as we saw a few years ago, momentum built at the back end of one season can be carried forward to the following campaign and together with a decent fixture list ..........

tonight we are playing a side fighting for their lives. We really shouldn’t win this. Look at previous seasons where relegation threatened clubs have gone to Chelsea, yanited, Man City and got unexpected victories. A win tonight would be a shock to me. 

Within that context, I just want to see progress re the way we are playing. A bit more urgency, tempo and quality. 

On 16/04/2018 at 19:56, davieG said:

Puel wants to see the academy sides adopt the same approach as his senior players as City evolves.

1COMMENT

By

Rob TannerFootball Writer

19:00, 16 APR 2018

“We try to give the same possibilities for the under-23s and the academy,” said Puel.

“I am enjoying the work of Steve Beaglehole and Ben Petty and the under-23s because they have done a fantastic job.

“We have tried also to give the same habits and system of play for these players.

“If Choudhury can play in the first at this moment it is because at under-23s he can play the same way with the same habits as the first team.

“For example we watched the under-23s play against Liverpool and Arsenal with fantastic play and fantastic goals.

“It is a good evolution for the whole club because we want to give direction to give a good philosophy of play for the academy and for the first team.

“For the future it is very important. We have to work in all parts of the club to develop the club.

Puel is trying to implement a possession based footballing philosophy and yet the primary source of goals for the U23s this season is set-piece goals from centre-halves Knight and Hughes.

Cant help wondering if this is just another Media PR spin as these two philosophies do not seem to be very clearly aligned...?

For the record, I hope Puel does get the chance to try and implement the changes he is advoacting as a joined up footballing philosophy from top-to-bottom would appear to be the way to develope players suited to the style of play the first team will play. 

The only teams who have done better than us this season are the big six and Burnley. We have performed better than every other club and Burnley have had a once in a generation type season as they sit two points behind Arsenal. I'm hoping we win another two or three games this season just to keep the wolves from Puel's door more than anything else.

I believe in Puel. I think he a strong minded man who knows exactly what he wants and I think if we sacked him in the summer it's back to square one. Let him evolve the team as he sees fit. He already has my approval for his philosophy on young players being nurtured. He soon assessed those of little value to the squad and tried to get rid of them in January whilst bringing in one young player for buttons and allowing the current squad to prove themselves. A lesser manager would have spent a lot of money in January trying to make small gains straight the way at the expense of long term gains. 

"Once in a generation" season. Yes...just like Leicester.:)

1 hour ago, MC Prussian said:

Whether you like it or not, we are currently 8th in the league in April. So people have every right to say it and use it as an argument for Puel.

Relegation... FFS... we're an absolute mile from that.

Screen Shot 2018-04-19 at 12.11.47.png

7 minutes ago, lancyclaret said:

"Once in a generation" season. Yes...just like Leicester.:)

Correct... just because we did well that one season doesn't mean every other manager should be judged against it and sacked. Just as they shouldn't be when you're having a brilliant season.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

People who kick off about players not playing for the next manager and getting him sacked and going through this all again there’s a simple solution. Bring in Nige.

It's a great advert for the sheer usability of this forum that someone like you can post on it.

1 hour ago, Ian Nacho said:

We've had dodgy spells under 3 different managers within the last 13 months, when do the players start to take responsibility? 

When they start getting dropped.

Whilst they are still starting a ‘player power’ argument doesn’t stand up.

18 minutes ago, Matt said:

When they start getting dropped.

Whilst they are still starting a ‘player power’ argument doesn’t stand up.

Eh? Surely not being dropped no matter what lends more credence to player power, as in they almost have control over team selection 

2 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

in a separete forum at start of season when Shakespear's appointment was being questioned after our 'difficult' start to the season, i predicted we would finish somewhere between 8th-12th position, irrespective of whether or not we changed the manager, simply because our early season results were not a true reflection of our squad stregth.

My assumption was that Everton would finish in 7th so with the excpetion of Burnely changing places with Everton (hand up who predicted that one...?) it would appear that all the "wailing and groaning" was simply the noise from either those with  "unrealistic expectations" (we should always be top 6!!) or the doom-mongers who simply failed to realise that relegation was never really a serious threat with the strength of our squad.

Sometimes, folk would do well to just step back for a change, take a deep breath and relax.....and try and show a little faith in a manager who is trying to positively change the culture of our club!

I have the same hopes for the last few matches this season, because in all honesty, it's hard to top our lacklustre performances since mid-December 2017 and play even worse. Still, do I see it as being realistic? On current form, no. The hope is close to killing me again... We have an "easy" run-in, yet face a Southampton side fighting against relegation tonight... Which side will be more up for it, I wonder...

Or else there'll be a much bigger uproar with regards to the managerial position at LCFC. And I have to say, both the manager and the players, Mahrez in particular, but also to a lesser extent Simpson, Gray or Morgan, have brought it onto themselves with a sloppy attitude that has killed a lot of our initial enthusiasm. Puel and the players have it in their own hands/feet to at least give us a positive finish to an otherwise rather flawed season.

The time is now.

Edited by MC Prussian

2 hours ago, The Doctor said:

10 clear of 17th, 9 behind 7th. Definitely not closer to 17th, marginally closer to 7th...

And we are out of relegation troubles. Stoke and WBA can't catch us no matter what, Southampton and Swansea need to win all remaining games to catch us, but still have to play each other.

Amended my original post. Don't want to paint the devil on the wall, as we tend to say over here, but tonight's game will be a huge indicator. Because we are on a bit of a freefall as of late and only managed to cling onto 8th spot by sheer luck thanks to other results. Not any longer, with Everton and Newcastle breathing down our necks now.

Could get closer to 17th by tonight, though.

Lose against a struggling Southampton side... More people will question the manager, and the ones who have questioned him before will do so even more ferociously.

Draw against Southampton... The struggle continues.

Win against Southampton... A lifeline, a sign our team isn't fully dead yet (apart from a few shining lights).

Edited by MC Prussian
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

Whether you like it or not, we are currently 8th in the league in April. So people have every right to say it and use it as an argument for Puel.

Relegation... FFS... we're an absolute mile from that.

Screen Shot 2018-04-19 at 12.11.47.png

That's why I said "highly unlikely", but it's a fact we're not completely out of it yet. We could be by tonight, though.

You can bring up stats from the past few games as much as you want to, it's what ahead that counts now.

Imagine if we only managed two, three points out of the last five games. It'll disappoint me personally no end, because well have wasted such a big chance of playing in Europe next season, just letting it slip away in recent weeks. Look at what's ahead still:

Southampton (h) tonight: An opposition fighting against relegation

Crystal Palace (a): Another team not out of the relegation battle yet

West Ham (h): Another team not out of the relegation battle yet

Arsenal (h): Doing better again, potentially still aiming at pipping Chelsea for 5th place

Tottenham (a): Playing very good football, tough match, I can imagine them googling 2nd spot, no gifts there

Edited by MC Prussian

15 minutes ago, Foxy-Lady said:

in a separete forum at start of season when Shakespear's appointment was being questioned after our 'difficult' start to the season, i predicted we would finish somewhere between 8th-12th position, irrespective of whether or not we changed the manager, simply because our early season results were not a true reflection of our squad stregth.

My assumption was that Everton would finish in 7th so with the excpetion of Burnely changing places with Everton (hand up who predicted that one...?) it would appear that all the "wailing and groaning" was simply the noise from either those with  "unrealistic expectations" (we should always be top 6!!) or the doom-mongers who simply failed to realise that relegation was never really a serious threat with the strength of our squad.

Sometimes, folk would do well to just step back for a change, take a deep breath and relax.....and try and show a little faith in a manager who is trying to positively change the culture of our club!

From the outside and looking ahead to the ongoing season at the start of it, hey, I would've taken 8th to 10th, given our squad and our experience on the pitch.

No sensible fan would expect us to finish in the Top Six - and that on a regular basis. That'd be a huge delusion.

But there's no denying we've blown a big chance to finish 7th and another European adventure after a bright start under Puel where he seemed to play to our current strengths, in a season where other bigger clubs are fighting their own demons, and that due to various reasons, and I can only speculate. We have, however, failed at profiting from other club's results in the past few weeks, seemingly trying to throw the season away, petering it out.

Lately, what I'm seeing week in, week out, doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence and the lacklustre attitude by a growing number of our players, coupled with Puel's persona make for a very bland matchday experience these days.

I want Puel to succeed and fulfill his vision here at Leicester, but he's making a very good case against him the longer this slump goes on. At present, I don't see a lot of positive signs, unfortunately.

• Like 1