Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Claude Puel lays out his vision for Leicester City

21 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

OK, I'll rise....

Firstly what is your definition of "cowards" in this sentence?

Also, what evidence do you have that Puel and his Southampton players fit this definition?

Finally, didn't quite a few Southampton players tell the media and hence kinda ruin your argument?

Sorry, I just like to get facts straight in my head.

Thanks so much.

X

Sorry but if you're trying to make sense out of this pile of shit, to stay polite, then you're even crazier than the one who posted it.

• Haha 1

Change isn't always easy.  And often after change things get worse before they get better.  Have you ever tried to follow a coach's advice such as changing your stance when batting at cricket or making adjustments to your golf swing.  I have, and found that it took a while to get things right again.  In the meantime I lost my wicket a few times and hit a load of bad golf shots.

I suspect that several of our squad are uncomfortable with what is now being asked of them and the result is underperformance.  That doesn't mean that what is being asked is wrong, just that it doesn't suit some and they may not be able to adapt.

In an ideal world the owners would give CP time to build the team he wants and get the maximum out of them, but if we're in the relegation zone by December that won't happen.  

58 minutes ago, Babylon said:

That's not what he's trying to do, he says week in week out what we're seeing isn't really what he wants.

What he's doing is no different to what someone like Pearson did to start with. Pearson would start by focusing on getting the team working hard, working as a unit and keeping defensively tight, giving the team a platform to build and expand from.

Puel is trying to give the team a passing "baseline", from where we can expand. But you need to get that part right first and foremost to ever build the rest of it. How anyone can actually believe what we're seeing now is what he wants or is aiming for I don't know. The question is whether he can implement what he wants.

This is a really good post. Puel has mentioned this is the first time he's come in at the halfway stage (well a bit before, but without a pre-season) and it's hard to establish and perfect a style without having one.

I think Puel says all the right things and clearly does have a vision for the club and style of play he wants us to establish. It's also obvious it's going to take time to get it right. Will the owners give him that time? That we will have to see. His biggest problem for me is that the baseline he's established is not going down with the fans, and the crowd booing the team after / during games will be heard by the owners. And the fans aren't booing (IMO) because of the results, but because of the style of play. Had we lost the last two games but been aggressive / dynamic from the off then the reaction would be very different. People would rather lose going for it, than tamely losing because we never had a go.

I think the owners will give him the summer barring a spectacular collapse (e.g. hammered every game). I will watch our preseason with interest because we will either improve our play or it just won't work with our players. To be fair to Puel, when he first started at Southampton, they actually started the season quite well and only really went to pot after the league cup final where morale dropped, Fonte left and Van Dijk got injured (by our own Vardy no less!). But that said, the Southampton players had been coached for a number of seasons by Koeman and Pochetino to play a more possession based game, whereas our team hasn't. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, EnglishOxide said:

We have been top half since he come in.

He's not even had a pre season.

Even the Burnley match we were the better team.

After a good start whereby he left the side to play as they normally do. That's why we got mid-table. The minute he started messing with his own tactics and selections it's been relegation form ever since. the last ten games have been turgid lacklustre affairs with the players obviously as bewildered as the fans. He's had plenty of time to put things right but he simply doesn't know how. 

7 hours ago, davieG said:

If I knew that I'd be having a go on the lottery which is what football is.

A lot will depend on how he changes the team in the summer we all know new signings can be hit or miss despite the players pedigree. But if he isn't I'm sure based on previous managerial changes the owners will react.

Davie will it be him saying what players he needs in the summer though? I think part of the clubs problem is this split from the manager looking for players as against having to play players brought in by the club by someone like Rudkin. We have seen over the last few seasons the standard of recruitment and let's face it bar one or two it's been awful. In my opinion, if the buck stops with the manager it should be him who choose what players to go for not some recruiting team.

1 minute ago, Bunyip said:

Davie will it be him saying what players he needs in the summer though? I think part of the clubs problem is this split from the manager looking for players as against having to play players brought in by the club by someone like Rudkin. We have seen over the last few seasons the standard of recruitment and let's face it bar one or two it's been awful. In my opinion, if the buck stops with the manager it should be him who choose what players to go for not some recruiting team.

I don't know as for Rudkin it's only speculation, because it's not been very successful that he's the one picking players I don't really believe that.

I do think that Puel was recruited with the knowledge that he would change our approach bearing in mind he had a full dossier of every player that he went through during the recruitment, well that's what was reported at the time. With that in mind I don't believe he would have done all that and taken the job if he hadn't received the full backing of the board and that would need to involve a full hand on recruitment.

I don't believe all this he's a weak man stuff, he's shown previously that he has the balls to change teams.

I'm inclined to believe that once he thought we were relatively safe he started the change to the team play so he could prepare and assess for next season rather than waiting for the close season. There's an article today about him saying next season's preparations start now.

I'm not blinkered about this we've been terrible getting out of the starting blocks as it seems the team is concentrating so much on adopting the new approach that it's distracting their impetus in games until we go behind and Puel really must deal with that.

Of course it could all got wrong but then so could any managerial change as we have seen so often.

Leicester City boss Claude Puel already looking to next season

City boss says the visit of Southampton is the beginning of next season.

Rob TannerFootball Writer

16:00, 17 APR 2018

Puel says the visit of Southampton on Thursday will signify the start of next season as he plans for the future of Leicester City.

City still have five games remaining of the current campaign but after their hopes of snatching a Europa League qualification place were dashed at Burnley on Saturday Puel said he would use the remaining games to begin planning for a busy summer ahead of his first full season on charge.

Puel has already begun to draw up his plans and he said the pre-season was going to be crucial as he works on City’s strategy for next season, and he is using the remaining games to take a look at different options.

“This game will be the beginning of next season I think,” he said.

“It is important for us to finish strongly and top prepare also for next season. It will be important to see the situation because we have some strong work to do in the summer to prepare the squad for next season.”

Kelechi Iheanacho has impressed Claude Puel. (Photo by Clive Mason/Getty Images)

One of the areas Puel said he would be assessing was the support striker role behind Jamie Vardy. Shinji Okazaki has started the last two away games, but he is injured for the visit of the Saints.

Demarai Gray and Fousseni Diabate, but Kelechi Iheanacho could get the nod to face the Saints.

“I think until the end of the season it will be an opportunity for different players to play and take some habits, perhaps to give a good solution,” he said.

“We know all the hard work from Okazaki, for example in the last game Kelechi came on with good intensity and quality. He gave a good assist to Jamie.

“Yes, Kelechi is a young player. He can have game time, he can improve and give a good option for the future. We will see.

“We have different options and it is interesting to try.”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bunyip said:

After a good start whereby he left the side to play as they normally do. That's why we got mid-table. The minute he started messing with his own tactics and selections it's been relegation form ever since. the last ten games have been turgid lacklustre affairs with the players obviously as bewildered as the fans. He's had plenty of time to put things right but he simply doesn't know how. 

FFS do people not realise that teams and styles have to evolve? Do people want us to be one trick ponies for the foreseeable? After the title winning season we clearly got found out trying to carry on with the hitting on the break and diagonal ball over the top to Vardy. 

To progress at this stage, with our finances and the owners ambitions it's pretty clear we need to adapt our all round game, especially the possession and passing side. 

Puel is 100% trying to do the right thing, it's just a shame these players we are currently chucking endless pound notes at seem incapable of actually playing anything other than long ball/hit and hope. Decent players should be able to adapt, clearly now some of ours are being found out. How this is Puel's fault I have absolutely no idea. 

Better that Puel sees what his players weak spots are at this point in time so that he can invest in the right players and training over the summer. 

People constantly hankering for the 'old way' need to get a grip. Wasn't exactly working under Shakey or Ranieri last season was it? 

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

he’s the weakest manager I’ve ever seen mate. Established players in the dressing room tell the media how he’s making the atmosphere at the club worse, few days later he invites the Daily Mail and his best mate Glenn Hoddle around to tell him how great he is. Pathetic. Ranieri would never have done that.

Ranieri has ****ed up at every club he’s ever been at... he’s a one hit wonder and pre the title win seen as a bit of a joke. So how you can assume Puel is weak is beyond me. 

43 minutes ago, SecretPro said:

FFS do people not realise that teams and styles have to evolve? Do people want us to be one trick ponies for the foreseeable? After the title winning season we clearly got found out trying to carry on with the hitting on the break and diagonal ball over the top to Vardy. 

To progress at this stage, with our finances and the owners ambitions it's pretty clear we need to adapt our all round game, especially the possession and passing side. 

Puel is 100% trying to do the right thing, it's just a shame these players we are currently chucking endless pound notes at seem incapable of actually playing anything other than long ball/hit and hope. Decent players should be able to adapt, clearly now some of ours are being found out. How this is Puel's fault I have absolutely no idea. 

Better that Puel sees what his players weak spots are at this point in time so that he can invest in the right players and training over the summer. 

People constantly hankering for the 'old way' need to get a grip. Wasn't exactly working under Shakey or Ranieri last season was it? 

I'm not hankering for the old way I just don't see how relegation form is in some way progression.

8 minutes ago, Bunyip said:

I'm not hankering for the old way I just don't see how relegation form is in some way progression.

We see 90 minutes a week and thats our indicator of how we're progressing. We see none of the behind the scenes action. Changing our style was always going to make us worse in the short term for long term gain and progress.

10 minutes ago, Gerard said:

"Relegation form" for the pessimists and "transition" for the optimists.

You have to have your balls exposed at some point when you decide to change your underpants or you can keep the skid mark ridden, piss stained stinking ones on forever through fear of change. Confucius (502 BC)

Crude but profound.

11 minutes ago, Gerard said:

You have to have your balls exposed at some point when you decide to change your underpants or you can keep the skid mark ridden, piss stained stinking ones on forever through fear of change. Confucius (502 BC)

Very well put! 

4 minutes ago, StanSP said:

i mentioned this earlier to someone else who thought we were in relegation form. I didn't get a reply from them either...

Let's do 5 games' form...

Let's do 10 games...

Let's do 15 games...

Let's do since Puel took over...

But don't you think our form is relegation standard?

Edited by Beechey

11 hours ago, Abrasive fox said:

'Leicester were one dimensional before Claude came in' said by Hoddle and not corrected by Puel either, whether that's right or wrong that one dimensional side won the league and got to the champions league quarter final.....

And then got found out and was way more horrific and boring to watch than anything we play under Puel.

Its embarrassing that professionals within the game actually want to try and play that way.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Gerard said:

when my undercrackers get like that, I know it's time to wear them inside out for  another month or 2.

22 hours ago, The Doctor said:

Can't see it. Top and vichai have been remarkably patient when they can see long term progression plans in place, even if it's not going brilliantly, and quick to act when things are just regressing. Look how quickly they binned off sven, then gave pearson half a season to just assess, another season to build, sticking with him even through 3 wins in 16 was it?, then sticking with him through the first season back up - even then he left for non-football reasons. Puel clearly has long-term progression in mind, the owners aren't as stupid as our fanbase, he'll last

I will quote that back to you October time.Personally I am in the very much undecided camp, I am not over keen on a revolving door for managers but at the same time if you make a mistake in recruitment sometimes you have to make quick decisions and accept the mistake.I can just about cope with the relegation form we have showed for a considerable part of the season but it is the performances that are so worrying as well a quite frankly bizarre team selections on occasions.

I predicted a couple of weeks ago we would not get 50 points and I stand by that, and if that happens I think he is toast.

Another defeat on Thursday which is quite likely could well lead to fans unrest in the ground.

I would add that for those that keep pointing out we are 8th due to Puel.This is a dreadful Premier League bar 4/5 teams and any decent manager should have got us to 7th or at the worst 8th so it is hardly an achievement.

As said I am undecided but as fickle as most fans and if Southampton turn us over it may tip me over the edge.

37 minutes ago, filbertway said:

And then got found out and was way more horrific and boring to watch than anything we play under Puel.

Its embarrassing that professionals within the game actually want to try and play that way.

At its peak it was truly fantastic football, you cannot deny that we absolutely played with high tempo, give me that football in our title win over anything we have now. Yes we had Kante but we had the drive and stamina.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, StanSP said:

i mentioned this earlier to someone else who thought we were in relegation form. I didn't get a reply from them either...

Let's do 5 games' form...

5games.PNG.15df3322cdc526a0c3c7818e4237e79e.PNG

Let's do 10 games...

5ad63fd13bec7_10games.PNG.521fe97bf02fe1f6df35a5632454cd04.PNG

Let's do 15 games...

15games.PNG.4219da74c9b9eaef000143896a201462.PNG

Let's do since Puel took over...

oct.PNG.559a6d437cb0b5ca2240049a9b842620.PNG

So after 15 games we are 5 points off the drop zone which is relegation form lol 

Edited by chapero82