Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Claude Puel lays out his vision for Leicester City

3 hours ago, turtmcfly said:

I believe he resigned from Nice to go to Southampton. The club and fans being glad to see the back of a manager tends to go hand-in-hand with his sacking - you seem to be trying to make it doubly relevant. As for the media, I'm sure there were some commentators raising eyebrows about his sacking from Southampton.

He's has had 6 managerial jobs (including us) in 19 years, during which time he's been sacked twice, poached twice and not had his contract renewed once. Those numbers are positively epochal compared to our recent managerial history.

He didn't want a new contract at Nice, and the club's president was happy to let him go after four years. There had been too much damage done in the second half of his stay there, the relationship had become very strained. Whether there was contact with Southampton already, who knows? He signed for the Saints a month after his end at Nice.

From what I can tell, he was only poached once in his career, after his six-year spell at Lille, when he joined Lyon. He was out of a job for a year following his time at Monaco, another year after the sacking at OL and out of a job for four months before he continued his journey de chez nous.

No matter how positive you see his record in France, there's still a common theme there regarding his hunger for control and the issues regarding his contract negotiations and the inclusion of his sons in professional football. He works well with younger players, and not so much with the older ones. Sadly, you can't win a football match with greenhorns only, the right mix is decisive. And with his "stubborn" persona (and I quote French football fans from Lyon, Lille and Nice here), he's always caused a ruckus at his previous clubs so far.

I don't think the club or the fans always rejoice the sacking of a manager, especially given the achievements (under the circumstances), his persona and once a large part of the fanbase have warmed up to the man over a prolonged period of time. I think Ranieri will always be remembered fondly and there will few bad words said about his time at LCFC. Same could be said about Pearson. Or O'Neill.

Edited by MC Prussian
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, The Doctor said:

It's not relegation form though, relegation form is form that would see you go down...

Lose tomorrow and 17 points from 17 games is as near as dammit relegation form as you can get. I understand people defending Puel in that he deserves more time but  with the squad he has that record is a disgrace and indefensible in a p*** poor league.

• Like 1

Just now, F1_AN said:

With all this talk of possession. Why does he still allow the ridiculous kick off routine where we hoof it into touch or to their defence?  Hardly sets the tone...

Agreed. Annoys me so why wouldn't it annoy the players to do that. Odd.

Edited by Max Wall

Just now, StriderHiryu said:

We did the same thing in the title winning season and a number of other teams do it too. Actually we look to hoof it out somewhere in the final third. 

The reason is that it allows the whole team to push up 20 yards whilst retaining shape, making it harder for the opposition to play out and more likely we intercept the ball in a dangerous area. Statistically it’s been proven that teams starting this way are significantly less likely to concede during the first 3 minutes and more likely to score despite being counter intuitive. It’s a real “moneyball” style tactic. This was explained to me by a FIFA level A coach no less. 

By the way I personally think the tactic is shite! But that’s the reason it’s so commonly used. 

Well. I had no idea, so thanks. Explains it at least. 

We both agree it's a shite tactic aswell.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

We did the same thing in the title winning season and a number of other teams do it too. Actually we look to hoof it out somewhere in the final third. 

The reason is that it allows the whole team to push up 20 yards whilst retaining shape, making it harder for the opposition to play out and more likely we intercept the ball in a dangerous area. Statistically it’s been proven that teams starting this way are significantly less likely to concede during the first 3 minutes and more likely to score despite being counter intuitive. It’s a real “moneyball” style tactic. This was explained to me by a FIFA level A coach no less. 

By the way I personally think the tactic is shite! But that’s the reason it’s so commonly used. 

The Rugby tactic

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The owners need to either bide their time to next October and sack Puel if the start to next season is like the end of this one or give him the undertaking they made to Ranierri when he came in that it wouldn't affect his position if LC got relegated (instead of going on to win the league). I've lost track of how many managers since O'Neil but its a lot, only Person has done a decent shift(s) since.

I'd like to see a manager given a 5 year plan and lots of rope to run with or go hang themselves.

1 hour ago, MC Prussian said:

He didn't want a new contract at Nice, and the club's president was happy to let him go after four years. There had been too much damage done in the second half of his stay there, the relationship had become very strained. Whether there was contact with Southampton already, who knows? He signed for the Saints a month after his end at Nice.

From what I can tell, he was only poached once in his career, after his six-year spell at Lille, when he joined Lyon. He was out of a job for a year following his time at Monaco, another year after the sacking at OL and out of a job for four months before he continued his journey de chez nous.

No matter how positive you see his record in France, there's still a common theme there regarding his hunger for control and the issues regarding his contract negotiations and the inclusion of his sons in professional football. He works well with younger players, and not so much with the older ones. Sadly, you can't win a football match with greenhorns only, the right mix is decisive. And with his "stubborn" persona (and I quote French football fans from Lyon, Lille and Nice here), he's always caused a ruckus at his previous clubs so far.

I don't think the club or the fans always rejoice the sacking of a manager, especially given the achievements (under the circumstances), his persona and once a large part of the fanbase have warmed up to the man over a prolonged period of time. I think Ranieri will always be remembered fondly and there will few bad words said about his time at LCFC. Same could be said about Pearson. Or O'Neill.

Honestly, i think we need a bit of that stubborn persona to compete with the so called player power. Your boss isn't always your friend, he's there to get the best out of you; and his record shows he can until relationships deteriorate too far. What will be key to see is who goes in the summer, a reshuffle of the dressing room could do us some good.

It will be interesting to see how he deals with the egos and strained relationships and if he's altered his style at all

Brilliant to hear, I can see the bigger picture going on shame some of our fans cant.

If you think its boring, watching us at the minute then the best is yet to come. Were having possession and creating loads of chances.

Simpson is a class defender probably doesn't get enough credit than is deserved however he cant support our attacks to great effect, give Puel time and let him get his players in.

IF we keep Mahrez which I do think we have a very good chance of and strengthen then we will be a force.

Schmeichel

NEW RB NEW CB Maguire NEW LB/Chilwell

Ndidi Iborra/Silva

Mahrez Ben Arfa NEW LW*

Vardy

I would like us to go for Shaqiri.*

Edited by Ashley

On 4/17/2018 at 16:35, StanSP said:

seen some in here (and other threads) say he's 'Peter Taylor mark II'

if ever you needed a definition of exaggeration, that would be it. absolutely laughable that Puel gets compared to him. especially when we've had so much dross that took us down to the Championship/League One since that failure. Yet when Puel takes us on the brink of Europe away from relegation within 6-7 months, he's compared to a guy that took us from top of the league to 13th in the last couple of months of the season. Great logic.

Astounding what the title win has done to our fanbase. Never heard anything like it.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

I wonder why they ask tall players like iborra to kick the kick off rather than chase the long ball from the kick off

Tall ones like him are more likely to win that long ball rather than shorter vardy okazaki gray etc

2 hours ago, Hanan96 said:

I wonder why they ask tall players like iborra to kick the kick off rather than chase the long ball from the kick off

Tall ones like him are more likely to win that long ball rather than shorter vardy okazaki gray etc

It is actually supposed to go out of play or drop near the corner flag but remaining in. 

During 15/16 it was much more effective because Vardy, Okazaki and Kante amongst others would hound the opposition from the start. 

It is weird to see us do it now given we want to control the game. 

7 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

It is actually supposed to go out of play or drop near the corner flag but remaining in. 

During 15/16 it was much more effective because Vardy, Okazaki and Kante amongst others would hound the opposition from the start. 

It is weird to see us do it now given we want to control the game. 

How could such long ball remaining in without anybody reach it? Surely it got some speed

On 17 April 2018 at 19:45, StanSP said:

i mentioned this earlier to someone else who thought we were in relegation form. I didn't get a reply from them either...

Let's do 5 games' form...

5games.PNG.15df3322cdc526a0c3c7818e4237e79e.PNG

Let's do 10 games...

5ad63fd13bec7_10games.PNG.521fe97bf02fe1f6df35a5632454cd04.PNG

Let's do 15 games...

15games.PNG.4219da74c9b9eaef000143896a201462.PNG

Let's do since Puel took over...

oct.PNG.559a6d437cb0b5ca2240049a9b842620.PNG

9 hours ago, Bunyip said:

As I said let's see the last 5 games then.

See the form tables Stan posted a couple of pages ago. See how on the last 5 games our form has been midtable? I'm not surprised you don't understand this, i seem to remember you insisting we'd get relegated after the draw with Stoke at the end of Feb, frankly you've got no sense of perspective at all.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Ian S said:

Lose tomorrow and 17 points from 17 games is as near as dammit relegation form as you can get. I understand people defending Puel in that he deserves more time but  with the squad he has that record is a disgrace and indefensible in a p*** poor league.

It's not really though is it - it's mediocre form, but past seasons 18th has finished on:

34, 37, 35, 33, 36, 36, 39, 30, 34, 36

So, if you're looking at how low the team that finished 17th could have finished on, 38 would have been enough in 9 of the last 10.

Also, frankly results don't tell the full story: https://understat.com/team/Leicester/2017

Look how many games we've dropped points in where on xG we should have won. Just looking since the new year we've had 4 draws and 3 defeats where we've had a better xG and one win where it was worse. Convert that to points and it's an extra 14 points which on performances we should have had but lost through individual errors and bad finishing - an extra 14 points that would see us 3 behind chelsea and talking of a battle for 5th. Has it been frustrating? Yes, so many basic errors from experienced players, and how we seem to play brilliantly for a half and lose it in the other half, but performances are overall encouraging for challenging even higher if he can fix those two things

Edited by The Doctor
  • Like 1

On 17/04/2018 at 10:10, Hugo Sanchez said:

I don't agree, 4 wins in 16 isn't good enough. When the players have stopped playing for the manager it's time we acted. He will be sacked when the season ends.

And halfway through next season when these same players refuse to play for out next manager, then what? 

I'm fed up with several members of this squad. They need to moved on. I'm tired of players downing tools everytime a manager comes in with new ideas. It's not like Puel is playing a radical formation with players out of position.

Only 1-2 of the title winning team are actually performing now. If we don't back Puel now we will have this exact conversation in December with the new manager i.e. "players not playing for him", "sack him" etc

Edited by Koke
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

People who kick off about players not playing for the next manager and getting him sacked and going through this all again there’s a simple solution. Bring in Nige.

half the squad are different - I expect the new half would bugger off if nige came back! 

Remind me how leuven are doing with the extra few players and ‘Alf Ramsey’ at the helm 

21 minutes ago, Koke said:

And halfway through next season when these same players refuse to play for out next manager, then what? 

I'm fed up with several members of this squad. They need to moved on. I'm tired of players downing tools everytime a manager comes in with new ideas. It's not like Puel is playing a radical formation with players out of position.

Only 1-2 of the title winning team are actually performing now. If we don't back Puel now we will have this exact conversation in December with the new manager i.e. "players not playing for him", "sack him" etc

Why do you even bother? There are people who come with decent points with, but the "not good enough, boring, relegation form and yadda yadda" aren't worth a reply.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

People who kick off about players not playing for the next manager and getting him sacked and going through this all again there’s a simple solution. Bring in Nige.

Bore off.

'I'm a builder not a firefighter': Claude Puel plans future for Leicester City

The Frenchman reveals how he can make the club consistent contenders for Europe

By

James SharpeSports Writer

22:30, 18 APR 2018

SPORT

Claude Puel has urged Leicester City to give him the time and transfer funds he needs to build the club for the future.

The Frenchman insists he is “a builder, not a firefighter” and says he needs the summer transfer window as well as next season to turn Leicester into a team that can battle consistently for Europe – which is the desire of the club’s owners.

When Puel arrived at Leicester in October, the club were just a point outside the Premier League relegation zone, having been inside the bottom three when previous manager Craig Shakespeare was sacked.

Puel has taken City up to eighth, but there is still a feeling that the team have missed a huge opportunity to secure a higher finish and a possible return to European football.

Claude Puel has outlined his plan for the future at Leicester City (Image: Plumb Images/Leicester City FC via Getty Images)

There are also concerns surrounding Puel’s style of play, as there were at Southampton, with frustrations among some sections of supporters as well as reports in the national press of unrest among the squad at the manager’s desire to turn the team into a more possession-based side.

Puel stated when he arrived that the team’s reliance on the counter-attack was not enough and their play would need to evolve if they were to compete consistently for European football.

“I am not a firefighter, I am a builder,” said Puel. “And I need a little time.

“I like to build and we have all the possibility here to build with calm and consistency to give Leicester stability in results.

“We need to find a good stability and consistency with the club and I think this is a young club in the Premier League and now we need to continue to work and to build this project.

“In football, a long time is difficult, but it is important to have time to put in place the plans and the details and to put in place the project. If I can help during my contract with Leicester I will be happy.”

It is fitting that Puel, who signed a three-year contract at Leicester, should be welcoming Southampton this evening, a club at which he was not afforded the chance continue his work after he was sacked last summer despite leading Saints to an eighth-placed finish and a League Cup final.

Puel says he is not only keen to develop the style of play of the first-team, but also to help with the club’s plans for a new training ground, as well as bringing through more academy players.

Leicester City manager Claude Puel on the bench at Burnley's Turf Moor (Image: Matthew Lewis/Getty Images)

He says all this is crucial if the owners wish to expand the King Power Stadium, as the club’s vice-chairman revealed this month.

To do so, though, Puel insists he needs to be backed in the summer transfer window so he can bring in the extra players he wants who can best adapt to his style.

“It will be a project with the bigger stadium and the training ground, a new project on the pitch and with the quality of the players to play this game,” said Puel. “All of this is important and we can’t put in place the things quickly sometimes.

“We need to have good results but it’s important to bring good stability and have good consistency, to find and to make progress each season in the top half of the table.

“It’s a long way but very exciting and a good challenge. We begin in the summer transfer window to bring good additions for the squad.

“All will be important in this project but we need to work together. To have good stability in results we need to work together with the academy for example. It’s a young club but a very interesting project.”

Claude Puel reveals transfer plans for Leicester City title-winning stars

It is set to be a huge summer as the Frenchman builds the squad in his image for the future

By

James SharpeSports Writer

22:30, 18 APR 2018

Leicester City’s title-winning stars will be given the chance to prove they should remain in Claude Puel’s plans for next season.

It is two years since City lifted the Premier League trophy with their cavalier style of counter-attacking football.

Since then, Puel has come in and is trying to evolve the team’s style of play to make them more comfortable on the ball, less one-dimensional and more equipped to consistently battle it out in the top half of the table.

While Puel is expected to bring in his own players this summer, it could prove a decisive transfer window for those members of the title-winning squad who might not find the Frenchman’s style of play all that natural.

Puel has said in recent weeks that he has been impressed with how Danny Simpson has worked hard to evolve his play, with the traditional defensive full-back now required to get forward, while captain Wes Morgan has had to adapt to a manager who wants his centre-backs to play with the ball at their feet.

Claude Puel talks with Danny Simpson and Wes Morgan during the Premier League match between Leicester City and Newcastle at the King Power Stadium (Image: GEOFF CADDICK/AFP/Getty Images)

Robert Huth, meanwhile, is out of contract this summer and has not played a single minute for the first team this season.

Puel admits there are likely to be departures but says the established players will remain in his plans if they can show him that they can continue to improve.

“I think a lot of players have improved, the ones that won the title two years ago continue to improve,” said Puel. “The Premier League changes also, a lot of teams change their style, and manage their team with solidity.“It’s important to teams develop options to play against any opponent. It’s interesting, if they can make progress and continue in this way, then why not (stay), of course.”

'I'm a builder not a firefighter': Claude Puel plans future for Leicester City

Riyad Mahrez will be the centre of speculation again amid the question of whether he will finally get his move away from the club, following a rejected offer from Manchester City in January.

City are also braced for offers for Harry Maguire, with Man City and United both linked, while Wilfred Ndidi could also attract attention although Leicester have shown in recent windows they will not be bullied into selling their best players.

Meanwhile, Puel is expected to strenghten his squad with new signings and he revealed that the recruitment department are already working at unearthing potential targets.

Harry Maguire could be targeted by several clubs this summer. (Photo by Plumb Images/Leicester City FC via Getty Images)

“We work not just in the transfer window but all the season together with the directors and the recruiters and the owners to prepare for next season,” said Puel. “To replace some players, to bring good options and good additions in the squad.

“It is important not just to work in the summer, it is work since October for me and it is important to try to develop the squad and to try to develop the project with the training ground and stadium.

“We can improve the team and we work all months for this possibility, I hope we can develop the players and give good additions. It’s to put in place a good formation for the future.”

• Thanks 2

@davieG Thanks for posting that.

Once again I think Puel says all the right thinks and it makes you excited for what comes next. It is the right approach and way of thinking from the owners for the club to improve us long term.

But I think he still needs to win the fans over with more exciting displays or it could become toxic.