Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Webbo

Leics 0- Soton 0 post match thread.

Just now, daddylonglegs said:

Agreed on all fronts. Some of our corners were atrocious. We're just too slow in midfield as well. 

Not even sure we were better defensively. They barely even attempted to attack, but they still waltzed through the defence and missed the two best chances of the entire match.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Until we sort out our movement in the final third we're going to struggle. Passing the ball is fine, but passing teams rely on movement to create the space for the killer pass. We're often stood like statues up top when we have the ball, so it's no surprise it's all sideways stuff and we just end up with the full back crossing it. I've seen no improvement in that side of it at all.

Totally agree, which backs up my point that at the minute we aren't really creating enough clear cut chances.

We have one of the most in-form strikers in the league at the minute, but despite all the 'pressure', he's living of scraps for the most part.

• Thanks 1

I don't know what people expect, we're in TRANSITION. That's going to take time.

He hasn't even has a chance to bring in some players.  I've seen positives already, even last night.

The team that takes to the pitch next season will be a lot different to the current squad.

We could have as many as 14 players leave. That's over half the current squad.

Success takes time. You don't get a degree in your first year, it takes 4 minimum.

Spurs, liverpool, have taken 3 years to get where they are. We're going to have to do the same.

Relax and be patient, then the success will be all the sweeter.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Beechey said:

Yeah, every time Gray passed to Chilwell who was marauding forwards, instead of overlapping, he just sits behind Chilwell, so inevitably the ball goes backwards. Happened every single time.

Been saying this for a long time. His movement really is among the worst I've ever seen, he makes the wrong run pretty much every time in every game he plays. Braindead.

• Like 1

Both Chilwell and Gray are hyped up by the media and such like because of the fact they are young and English.  However, both frustrate the hell out of me.  It is obvious that Gray does have bundles of talent but for some unknown reason he rarely shows it.  He had one good run last night where he did use his speed other than that to me he was wandering around the pitch and also slowing it down regularly.  As for Chilwell whats the point of bombing forward as a full back if you cant cross for shite.  His positional sense also leaves a lot to be desired.  I am praying we invest in two new fullbacks in the summer because if we don't we will struggle next season.

Predictable, boring. Same play over & over again. Goal-kick out wide to Chilwell (who imo is going backwards in ability) charge down the line cut back & cross a ball in to a striker that isn't 6ft 4. If Puel wanted to play like that why loan out Ulloa? The 2 decent chances we had was when we played Vardy over the top & running at them through the middle. I don't get this constant reason to play the ball out wide when our current strikers play on the shoulder of the last man. Puel is clueless. What on earth was those 2 subs about @ 90 mins 

10 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

I don't know what people expect, we're in TRANSITION. That's going to take time.

He hasn't even has a chance to bring in some players.  I've seen positives already, even last night.

The team that takes to the pitch next season will be a lot different to the current squad.

Success takes time. You don't get a degree in your first year, it takes 4 minimum.

Spurs, liverpool, have taken 3 years to get where they are. We're going to have to do the same.

We are in transition, but I think everyone agrees that we need a transition.

I'm just not sure a lot of people want Puel to be the man to transition us.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

I highly doubt we are going to move on 14 players nearly a whole squad for one man's vision, which lets be honest is nothing new or exciting.

25 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

Did he actually say he was Happy with the performance? lol maybe Puel watches games in Virtual reality mode.

Well at least we are now safe!! Thank Puel for leading us to safety but come the end of the season bring in someone better, hope Top keeps Rudkin on his leash. 

I personally would like to see the twat sacked he is supposed to be the Director of Football and while he is here we are not going to attract a decent manager.

• Haha 1

I am generally happy with the match - not the score. I'm surprised that so many had such negative comments about it.

Our defensive weakness of the last few months changed to a conceeded none and for the first time in a while I wasn't frightened that we'd concede from every corner. I think every replacement was an upgrade on recent games. Quite amazing considering if they have  played together for more than 2 practice sessions ever I'll be surprised.

Hamer - wasn't expecting too much of him but he did more than Kasper has done in a while, don't want him as my first or second  choice keeper next season but reconfirms my thought that we can get a better first choice keeper.

Albrighton - was far better than simpson has been all season. I'd go with him for the last 4 games and then get a real RWB in the summer.

Dragovic - great to see him back and the upgrade on Morgan was vaste. So much more confident and can pass the ball forward without the hoof.

Maguire - more confident with Drago as a partner

Chilwell - first half he was on average further up the field than Vardy - had a middling game but I'm happy with the experience he's getting.

Ndidi - nice to have him back.

Silva - Wasn't a great game for him but he put in a lot of effort, looked very tired at the end and should have been subbed earlier.

Mahrez - played like he has for most of the season, some great one touches and a couple of decent long passes without lighting up the world. I was happy with his performance but as he's going I wish that Puel had started Diabaté in his place. Apart from 4 or 5 games this season, last night was the true Mahrez.

Gray - Like Mahrez and chilwell he had a normal game, a couple of good runs, a couple of good passes and a lot of nothing. Again this is the time to give him the experience and make a decision whether to keep him or take one of the offers we are sure to get for him in the summer.

Iheanacho - my man of the match. Looked great and linked up so well with his one touch play. This is the future that Puel is promising and I like it. If that clever shot had gone in everyone would be on cloud nine today

Vardy - had a few chances, linked up well with Iheanacho, latched onto difficult passes from Albrighton and nearly with good passes from Mahrez. Not quite on his game last night but still could have had a goal.

Diabaté - has more ball skills than Mahrez, if he can just find the final ball he'll be a top 5 player in the league.

choudhury, Barnes - nice to see the youth on the bench.

It was a nearly night which with such little prep had good signs for the future

37 minutes ago, Babylon said:

The subs at the end pissed me off, if you want to give the kids a chance then bring them on with 20 minutes to go, don't give them three minutes. Those substitutions stank of a manager knowing he's under pressure, so he made the substitutions to play the "I'm a long term manager, look at me bringing through the kids" card.

He fell asleep himself! it was only when the tannoy man shouted “3minutes” it woke him up and he thought “**** I better add more in the middle to protect the 0-0” ?

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

I think people appreciate that, but you'd hope by now there would be a glimmer of hope or at least one good performance. Chelsea away is probably the last time I thought we played really well.

• Like 2

Attacking wise, I was a bit baffled last night by our persistence with crosses into the box. We don't have a target man and with the best will in the world, it's going to have to be pin point delivery (not to mention a **** up in the opposition's defence) to find one of our 2 men in the box (if that many) when they were crowded out. Likewise corners; we pretty much only brought Maguire up, a 'threat' easily nullified by the masses of Southampton defenders. We have to be trying something different. The diagonal, or long balls, that Albrighton sometimes put it were more of a threat than Chilwell trying to get to the byline to put a cross in. 

We're trying to get players in with incisive passing/running around the penalty area, and we did that quite well on occasions last night. Silva will get better as he gets up to pace, and I look forward to seeing him in full flow next season. In Mahrez, Iheanahco, Gray and Diabate (and maybe Musa should he come back and stay) we have similar players and I think the understandable temptation (because they can make things happen) to field 3 or 4 of them at the same time potentially weakens us. We have too many attacking midfielders (if one includes Silva) to the detriment of the defensive midfield.

I think Ndidi has too much to do and as a consequence our midfield can be overrun. Even defensively minded Southampton were easily finding space against us. This will be partly sorted with the return of Iborra (whenever) but I do feel we do need to be playing 2 defensive midfielders. If we're planning to play Silva as an attacking midfielder/no. 10 then we are going to lose one of our tricky-type players mentioned above. But I don't see that as a bad thing, it's a matter of balance.

In some respects Mahrez's probable/possible departure - and the enforced change that results - could well make life a little easier for us. I hope so anway, and I'm feeling quite positive about Puel's changes and what next season may bring,

Edited by CarbonVirtine
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, FIF said:

I am generally happy with the match - not the score. I'm surprised that so many had such negative comments about it.

Our defensive weakness of the last few months changed to a conceeded none and for the first time in a while I wasn't frightened that we'd concede from every corner. I think every replacement was an upgrade on recent games. Quite amazing considering if they have  played together for more than 2 practice sessions ever I'll be surprised.

Hamer - wasn't expecting too much of him but he did more than Kasper has done in a while, don't want him as my first or second  choice keeper next season but reconfirms my thought that we can get a better first choice keeper.

Albrighton - was far better than simpson has been all season. I'd go with him for the last 4 games and then get a real RWB in the summer.

Dragovic - great to see him back and the upgrade on Morgan was vaste. So much more confident and can pass the ball forward without the hoof.

Maguire - more confident with Drago as a partner

Chilwell - first half he was on average further up the field than Vardy - had a middling game but I'm happy with the experience he's getting.

Ndidi - nice to have him back.

Silva - Wasn't a great game for him but he put in a lot of effort, looked very tired at the end and should have been subbed earlier.

Mahrez - played like he has for most of the season, some great one touches and a couple of decent long passes without lighting up the world. I was happy with his performance but as he's going I wish that Puel had started Diabaté in his place. Apart from 4 or 5 games this season, last night was the true Mahrez.

Gray - Like Mahrez and chilwell he had a normal game, a couple of good runs, a couple of good passes and a lot of nothing. Again this is the time to give him the experience and make a decision whether to keep him or take one of the offers we are sure to get for him in the summer.

Iheanacho - my man of the match. Looked great and linked up so well with his one touch play. This is the future that Puel is promising and I like it. If that clever shot had gone in everyone would be on cloud nine today

Vardy - had a few chances, linked up well with Iheanacho, latched onto difficult passes from Albrighton and nearly with good passes from Mahrez. Not quite on his game last night but still could have had a goal.

Diabaté - has more ball skills than Mahrez, if he can just find the final ball he'll be a top 5 player in the league.

choudhury, Barnes - nice to see the youth on the bench.

It was a nearly night which with such little prep had good signs for the future

Hang on, what?! 

Why on earth do you not want to see big Danny Simpson pick the ball up, take a touch, take another one, then another one, and lump it into the channels?! 

This post is way too sensible and positive mods pls delete. 

17 minutes ago, Gerbold said:

As do you.

I notice your previous post recommended that the owner "bench him". Srivaddhanaprabha thought enough of him to give him the job and, in all likelihood, is committed to giving Puel enough time to effect a transition. I see a team replete with talented individuals who need time playing together to gel. What I'm seeing is the team only coming to life maybe twenty minutes from the end of each match they've recently played. I only caught the last twenty-five minutes last night - and, for me, it was exciting stuff. Puel's job is to get them to gradually build up that "quality and intensity", as you put it.

Since he became owner of the club Srivaddhanaprabha has fired one effective manager (unavoidably - given the situation) and hired three. Two of those ran into a dead end - we can only conjecture why Claudio failed to get the players to galvanise themselves. Shakespeare was given the chance to effect a recovery campaign - which he did well. Then the wheels came off again. Most observers judged it to be his lack of managerial nouse. Then Puel turned the situation around - again.

Is the picture becoming clearer? They responded to Pearson - moved mountains for him and I suspect the squad was very unhappy that he was sacked. I suspect that winning the Prem was, partly, done for him and once it was done, then a kind of disorientation set in.

Maybe Sri and Puel both realise that this resistant mentality has to be broken down. Maybe they both foresee a different group of players playing a different brand of football. Fergie, as I repeat, ad nauseam, would have ruthlessly ejected any one of his squad who wasn't prepared to conform to his requirements. Puel has to be cannier than that - he hasn't the resources that Fergie had (or Guardiola, Mourinho etc)

It's impatient, unrealistic and unreasonable to expect this very necessary transition to take place overnight. What's the alternative - try to attract Joachim Löw  to the KP?

We need a period of stability before we begin to challenge for significant trophies again. Puel might be the man to provide it - in a subtle, gradual process. We're not going to alight on players like Vardy, Kante or Mahrez every season. There are twelve other teams, effectively, in the same boat as us - all their fans want the same as we do - some form of success. With the top seven sides monopolising recruitment and income (vice-versa that) that leaves precious little pickings for the other twelve.

The only difference between CIty and the rest is... what? Answer that and then you can make judgements about the relative levels of performance and achievement Puel and his players and Leicester City might make.

My remark about puel was a comment on the weird summary he gave after the match... if he had said.. look we're in transition.. we need to do this or that i would think fine....but to sugest that this was a performance of intensity was dilussional.

Imo Puel's performance has been poor... and it is reasonable to wonder at what point he could be benched...if ever.... my worry is that i expect the owners to back him and that this is a mistake... let's hope i am wrong coz we'r goning to find out. 

Edited by foxinsocks

The team is not innocent either as a glance at a list of "lost balls" and "bad passes" shows - first half 30 - second half 39 - without words

Chilwell 14 / Maguire 11 / Albrighton 10 / Ndidi 8 / Mahrez 8 / Silva 6 / Gray 4 / Dragovic 3 / Nacho 2 / Hamer 1 / Diabate 1 / Vardy 1

In the first half, Jamie Vardy had 9 ball contacts and in the second half 12. He is completely isolated and Puel has not done anything for months. Poor Jamie. But in the new season with a new coach we will be fearless again.

In a few weeks we will say: "Puel, who or what was that exactly?"

Ironically, our best chance still came from long ball to Vardy out of all the efforts made in and around the penalty area.

I would like Puel to bring his players in the summer and transition our play like some on here have kept saying, but I just cannot see

us getting no more than 2 to 3 players getting into our first 11 from summer.

I prefer manager who can get best out of our current squad and add some quality over the summer.

I think it's too optimistic to assume we can overhaul the squad with 1 transfer window.

We could well be in trouble before Puel can bring all the players he wants.

17 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I think people appreciate that, but you'd hope by now there would be a glimmer of hope or at least one good performance. Chelsea away is probably the last time I thought we played really well.

Also, the very definition of a transition is slowly moving from one thing to another. The 'another' in this instance seems to be ineffective, dull football.

You would expect it to the other way round. For Puel to struggle at the beginning and then to start showing some positive signs towards the end of the season. Instead things are getting worse and showing no signs of positivity.

Edited by Ricey

10 hours ago, Blue Ed said:

Well here's the thing. We've got to many players who'se roles are not defined in the team at the moment and for me it's effecting their game and the ultimately how we are playing on the pitch. They look short of confidence but this looks like it stems from the fact that they are not clear on what they are doing on the pitch. 

This creates the debate here. Do we say he's not good enough because he should play to the strengths of the players that we have or do we say, this could be the start of a new era at Leicester and give him the chance to get in the payers that can carry out the game plan he wants it could really build an exciting team and style of play.

Mahrez, is he coming in deep and playing a creative midfielder or is he suposed to be sticking out wide to play an attacking winger role. at the moment he's trying to do both. Some games it pays off but not enough anymore and when it doesn't work for him we look bad. He obviously wants away from the club so lets shift him and move on.

Silva, Currently I don't know what his suposed to be bringing to the team. I'm not convinced at the moment he's as creative or has the vision of Iborra, or the passing and positional skill that Dinkwater had.

Nacho, I think I was a bit harsh in saying he should be sold but I would like to see him linking the play up and linking up better between with Vardy plus scoring more. Slimani I thought did well in that role and Sinji does.

Gray. Gray is crap

These are good players (apart from Gray) but they are not fitting into Puels style of play that he wants, selling them will give Puel the opportunity to bring in or develop key players in these positions to fit his game plan, Obviously could be wrong in the long run with what he is trying to do but the teams he has built have had quick and direct wingers who can double up as strikers and the first player he has bought Diabate I guess fits into that mould and looks good. Have a look at Govou that he had at Lyon. Ben Arfa at Nice, massive players similar in style to Diabate

The other notable absence from our team that Puel teams have all had at the moment is an attacking central midfielder or Centre Forward at both clubs he bought in players who had fierce shots and shooting ability Juninho Pernambucano at Lyon and Eduardo at Nice. If he spots players like that for Leicester in the summer we'll be entertained for sure.

I'm a fan of his style, it's not working out yet, obviously, but I'm excited by the teams and players he had in France to say lets give him the space and funds to go out and get the team he wants.

A well considered, articulated and helpful post - thanks for coming :D

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

Well, lets put it this way. I would rather dominate teams and get a draw,  just being short of creating some chances. Over getting dominated by other teams and being lucky to escape with a point as we were at the start of the season against the lower teams. I feel we're closer to getting it right than I did after the Huddersfield and Bournemouth games early in the season. It's not good enough still, but I'm not feeling as bad as I was after seeing a newly promoted team batter us.

But that at the start of the season new promoted sides mostly get off to good starts losing at Huddersfield wouldn't be that unexpected or drawing at Bournemouth, but drawing the last 5 games at home that form that will have you round the bottom of the table, prey tell me when can we can expect this massive turn around by Puel? There is no logic to Puel style of playing for draws, if we won only 2 of the last five home games and lose 3 we still have achieved more. I dont buy into this need to change, we had a team that was capable of winning the last five home games and under Shakespeare or Appleton im sure the outcome would have had been better.

Edited by southfox66

4 minutes ago, southfox66 said:

But that at the start of the season new promoted sides mostly get off to good starts losing at Huddersfield wouldn't be that unexpected or drawing at Bournemouth, but drawing the last 5 games at home that form that will have you round the bottom of the table, prey tell me when can we can expect this massive turn around by Puel? There is no logic to Puel style of playing for draws, if we won only 2 of the last five home games and lose 3 we still have achieved more. I dont buy into this need to change, we had a team that was capable of winning the last five home games and under Shakespeare or Appleton im sure the outcome would have had been better.

We may have picked up some points but we would have also been in the relegation zone. 

We had tough starting fixtures, after Shakespeare left we won, when Puel arrived we won, but largely still a Shakespeare set up, the run Puel we basically still played in our usual style and then suddenly he decided to start his football experiment on us and its been awful, he comes out with the same old clap trap every match how well they played when just throw away 2 points a game in the last five home games