Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Webbo

Leics 0- Soton 0 post match thread.

It seems like we're just lacking a little bit of invention and quality. The final few percent.

Reminds me of a period of time under Pearson in the prem when we were creating chances but just not putting then away then he tweaked it and we started winning games and the following season we won the league.

Even though it's frustrating to watch at the minute I think we need to persevere till next season because if this clicks and we start scoring our chances we'll be awesome.

We're lucky we can afford the transition time.

Puel has given the old guard enough time to prove themselves now time for a new era!

• Like 3

Chillwell needs to improve on his crossing or final decision making that's for sure, he seems to find himself in good positions but is currently lacking the final ball, plenty of time to improve.

Due to the above Gray found it hard to get into the game, same with Mahrez and Albrighton yesterday, the two wingers seemed to have less ball in the opponents half than our RB and LB.

It wasn't a bad display last night but it wasn't exactly great either, no conviction up front.

Defence looked pretty solid, Drago looks a lot more reassured than Morgan and Albrighton was playing some balls Simpson can't but its still not convincing due to the chances or lack of created. 

Edited by whoareyaaa
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

Chilwell sees a lot of the ball..but he needs to cross early and diagonally while defenders are retrrating.  He is killing off the chances.

Problem a lot of people have spotted is that we give the ball to Chilwell and then there is no movement. It wasnt until Diabate came on that we had someone running beyond him. Gray gave him the ball and just waited with everyone else on the edge of the box. I rate Chilwell but without support he usually loses the ball. 

Speaking of being on the edge of the box, why do we not just let Ndidi get in the box. Same with Iborra when he plays. We leave 2 in the box and have like 4 on the edge. 

14 minutes ago, Babylon said:

West Brom lost 9 of their last 12 and drew 2 amassing 5 points., we've got 14 points from our last 12...  so no it's not the same no matter how bitterly disappointing it currently feels.

That really isn't the point though is it? Teams tend to take end of season form into the following season, look what happened after the Great Escape.

5 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

Problem a lot of people have spotted is that we give the ball to Chilwell and then there is no movement. It wasnt until Diabate came on that we had someone running beyond him. Gray gave him the ball and just waited with everyone else on the edge of the box. I rate Chilwell but without support he usually loses the ball. 

Speaking of being on the edge of the box, why do we not just let Ndidi get in the box. Same with Iborra when he plays. We leave 2 in the box and have like 4 on the edge. 

I like chillwell too... your analysis is correct.  But Chilwell should just put it in fir the otger to chase. .. heading towards the flag is a dead end.  This is just one small way we can make things happen 

I dont understand how anyone can say Puel has improved the side, to draw 5 home matches we should be winning is diabolical and  cost us Europa place, nothing would make me happier to see him gone and Appleton put in charge till the end of the season. Maybe we'll see some positive football instead of this negative, slow, boring shite Puel plays. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, southfox66 said:

I dont understand how anyone can say Puel has improved the side, to draw 5 home matches we should be winning is diabolical and  cost us Europa place, nothing would make me happier to see him gone and Appleton put in charge till the end of the season. Maybe we'll see some positive football instead of this negative, slow, boring shite Puel plays. 

We have been woeful.... and puel says its quality and intensity.  He needs a checkup from the neck up

• Like 1

Did anyone hear Puel's post match ramble on Radio Leicester?

Stringer, as always, asked bland questions but Puel's first response was a 2 minute ramble about how pleased he was with the performance, and how pleased he was with the aggressiveness, intensity and quality in our play....seriously, he must be watching something different to me as I thought our 90 minute performance lacked all of those.

We played pretty well for the first 20 mins without creating anything,  final ball into the box and hesitation to get the ball into the box caused many decent moves to break down, but as the game wore on the pace slowed, the passing slowed down and it began going backwards again for the sake of it...we now seem to be a team scared to shoot or put a ball into the box...and when we do the quality is really poor.

I thought we did ok for 20 mins, but after that it was the same old rubbish weve seen for the last 3 months or so...and put aside all the rhetoric and arguments amongst the fans the results do not lie...If I am correct we've not won at home since January, and our last 5 home league games have brought 4 points from Swansea, Stoke, B'mth, Newcastle and Saints...4 points from 15...and overall we've now won four games in 18...both of which would suggest relegation form.

As a previous poster said, we're fortunate to have had enough points in the bag to let Puel "transition" our style of play....but like many others have already pointed out we simply don't have the players to play that style...so he is culpable for trying to do so.

Compare and contrast Benitez at Newcastle, he and Puel have a completely different approach...Puel has tried to change a style of play with players who aren't used to it/cant do it, and has shattered confidence and by the looks of it enthusiasm...Benitez realises his players have limited skill and ability and sets them up to play to the players individual/collective strength...I know which I prefer and I suspect I know which the players would respond to best.

simpson is a classic example of why Puel has been a failure at City...simpson is a solid defender who has to work hard at his game to get the best out of his limited technical ability, he rarely let us down over the last 2-3 seasons...since Puel came in he tried to get him playing differently at the cost of continuing to work hard on the basic fundamental skills he had/has.

All of which suggests to me that we have a manager who cant get the best out of his players, has a rigid style of play which he wont/can't vary from and who simply cannot be trusted with the major squad overhaul that is undoubtedly coming in the summer 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

It seems like we're just lacking a little bit of invention and quality. The final few percent.

Reminds me of a period of time under Pearson in the prem when we were creating chances but just not putting then away then he tweaked it and we started winning games and the following season we won the league.

Even though it's frustrating to watch at the minute I think we need to persevere till next season because if this clicks and we start scoring our chances we'll be awesome.

Puel has given the old guard enough time to prove themselves now time for a new era!

This ^

The football isn’t that bad but we seem totally clueless as to how to break teams down in the final third. We go side to side and back again or just put in a cross on the off chance someone will get on the end of it. I didn’t think Silva was awful last night but he seemed to be getting a lot of abuse born out of general frustration than anything. 

It just needs something to make it click.

Well if he's "happy" with that and it was a "good performance" full of "quality", he should go straight away!! What was he watching??.....not the same as everyone else! Hence the booing. Same old boring rubbish for months now. Can't beat any of these bottom teams, so who are we going to beat??! Can't see another win this season tbh, given the matches. Relegation form taken into next season.

• Like 1

Quite excited when I saw team line-up 

Hugely disappointed with performance

For once I don't blame the players who were trying to play Puel style 

Its ok having a vision but when you can't motivate and organise against dire opponents the future looks very grey indeed 

I listened to the match on Talksport and I believe the guest commentator had connections with the Foxes so you would expect a bit of bias, but he continually described "Leicester City are just embarrassing and loyal fans have paid hard earned money to watch this rubbish". This was a game against a team the Foxes should have destroyed, what on earth is going on at the club? 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Domsdad said:

That really isn't the point though is it? Teams tend to take end of season form into the following season, look what happened after the Great Escape.

Well it is the point, because our form no matter what people think is midtable form and not rock bottom form like West Brom. They went off a cliff.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Livid said:

This ^

The football isn’t that bad but we seem totally clueless as to how to break teams down in the final third. We go side to side and back again or just put in a cross on the off chance someone will get on the end of it. I didn’t think Silva was awful last night but he seemed to be getting a lot of abuse born out of general frustration than anything. 

It just needs something to make it click.

Our main source of creating seemed to be going down the left and giving it to Chilwell to cross, that's concerning. Because he puts about 1 good ball in for every 50 attempts.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Call me an optimist, but I honestly expected a reaction last night. Maybe because the pressure was off. Maybe because the fans have reached a point of frustration. Maybe because we haven't won at home since January. Maybe because we were facing a dreadful team.

I didn't see that reaction. Yes, the first 20 minutes were decent, but I think how well we started has been greatly exaggerated, perhaps because we've been so poor at starting games for weeks.

It was another showing from a team that is not being motivated. They looked looked like they weren't bothered about winning the match. How many times did we have a corner or throw and it took us an age to take it.

People are pinning too much on this magic transfer window where we will sign a new squad of players that can play Puel's system and that totally buy into him as a manager. The reality is, as proven by past windows, we'll end up with 2/3 players at best that prove good enough to be regulars in the first team. The rest of the squad will be much the same and he is currently failing miserably at organising, motivating and getting anywhere near the best out of this squad.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Fox1norfolk said:

I listened to the match on Talksport and I believe the guest commentator had connections with the Foxes so you would expect a bit of bias, but he continually described "Leicester City are just embarrassing and loyal fans have paid hard earned money to watch this rubbish". This was a game against a team the Foxes should have destroyed, what on earth is going on at the club? 

Man United could be saying the same after their home match against West Brom. It happens but we didn't lose, they did.

53 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Are we creating that much though? I mean, there is a lot of pressure at times, but clear cut chances seem few and far between. If we were creating that much, why is our lone striker non-existent for the vast majority of every match?

37 minutes ago, southfox66 said:

Well, lets put it this way. I would rather dominate teams and get a draw,  just being short of creating some chances. Over getting dominated by other teams and being lucky to escape with a point as we were at the start of the season against the lower teams. I feel we're closer to getting it right than I did after the Huddersfield and Bournemouth games early in the season. It's not good enough still, but I'm not feeling as bad as I was after seeing a newly promoted team batter us.

• Like 3

Did he actually say he was Happy with the performance? lol maybe Puel watches games in Virtual reality mode.

Well at least we are now safe!! Thank Puel for leading us to safety but come the end of the season bring in someone better, hope Top keeps Rudkin on his leash. 

2 minutes ago, Ricey said:

Are we creating that much though? I mean, there is a lot of pressure at times, but clear cut chances seem few and far between. If we were creating that much, why is our lone striker non-existent for the vast majority of every match?

Until we sort out our movement in the final third we're going to struggle. Passing the ball is fine, but passing teams rely on movement to create the space for the killer pass. We're often stood like statues up top when we have the ball, so it's no surprise it's all sideways stuff and we just end up with the full back crossing it. I've seen no improvement in that side of it at all.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nod.E said:

Positives:

- Better defensively. Look so much better with Drag and Albrighton than Simpson and Wes.

Negatives:

- Terrible from attacking set plays. Do we not work on them?

- Gray is not good enough. I say it after every game. Why isn't Diabate starting ahead of him?

Agreed on all fronts. Some of our corners were atrocious. We're just too slow in midfield as well. 

The subs at the end pissed me off, if you want to give the kids a chance then bring them on with 20 minutes to go, don't give them three minutes. Those substitutions stank of a manager knowing he's under pressure, so he made the substitutions to play the "I'm a long term manager, look at me bringing through the kids" card.

• Like 3