Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Webbo

Leics 0- Soton 0 post match thread.

10 minutes ago, southfox66 said:

We had tough starting fixtures, after Shakespeare left we won, when Puel arrived we won, but largely still a Shakespeare set up, the run Puel we basically still played in our usual style and then suddenly he decided to start his football experiment on us and its been awful, he comes out with the same old clap trap every match how well they played when just throw away 2 points a game in the last five home games

Shakespeare barely had a set up. His tactics were "copy Ranieri's failed season and hope for the best". 

We won because the players upped their game to avoid critisism as per usual. Same will happen when Puel goes.

1 hour ago, Ricey said:

We are in transition, but I think everyone agrees that we need a transition.

I'm just not sure a lot of people want Puel to be the man to transition us.

The dispiriting thing is I don’t think everyone agrees we need a transition at all.

There’s still a lot of people on here who think that we could carry on playing a disorganised deep defence and bypassing midfield by whacking long balls forward to Vardy because it’s (extremely) vaguely reminiscent of the title winning season. 

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

I think people appreciate that, but you'd hope by now there would be a glimmer of hope or at least one good performance. Chelsea away is probably the last time I thought we played really well.

Our defence looked more confident and solid than it has in weeks - and that only on a practice or two together. That's more than a glimmer of hope.

55 minutes ago, mucfox said:

The team is not innocent either as a glance at a list of "lost balls" and "bad passes" shows - first half 30 - second half 39 - without words

Chilwell 14 / Maguire 11 / Albrighton 10 / Ndidi 8 / Mahrez 8 / Silva 6 / Gray 4 / Dragovic 3 / Nacho 2 / Hamer 1 / Diabate 1 / Vardy 1

In the first half, Jamie Vardy had 9 ball contacts and in the second half 12. He is completely isolated and Puel has not done anything for months. Poor Jamie. But in the new season with a new coach we will be fearless again.

In a few weeks we will say: "Puel, who or what was that exactly?"

Jamie had far more service than he has had much of the season. It's going to take time but I thought Iheanacho especially and the other ball skill players looked good considering how little this style has been worked on. I'm hoping that'll continue.

Im all for change because long ball wont always work.  I appreciate possesion football but it also needs to be at a fast pace. 

I can see puel making change and although its painful as fook to watch right now could be for the better. If we are going to stick with puel then we need at least 2 seasons after this one to show any major sign of improvement.  That could be 2 seasons of mediocre football. The reason why i say this is that its clear we need to get rid of some dead weight. Bringing in another 10 players and then getting to them to "gel" wont be easy. Heck we have trouble signing any player lately lol so to think of a major overhaul in the summer is overkill. Realistically i suspect we can bring in 3 good players but with teams hovering around maguire and mahrez we will need more than 3.

I really hope that if the owners back this guy that puel and co have already identified targets and hit the ground running with signings the moment the window opens. Im all for bringing in lots of players but its got to start day 1 of transfer window. 

15 minutes ago, ttfn said:

The dispiriting thing is I don’t think everyone agrees we need a transition at all.

There’s still a lot of people on here who think that we could carry on playing a disorganised deep defence and bypassing midfield by whacking long balls forward to Vardy because it’s (extremely) vaguely reminiscent of the title winning season. 

I think we need more of a balance than we do now. There were so many opportunities last night when Vardy or Mahrez started to make a run in behind and instead of being played in, we took 2 or 3 extra touches and it all broke down to nothing.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Blue Ed said:

someone who can do the basics. Redmond if Southampton go down.

You'd prefer a guy who's scored no goals this season over Mahrez? I get that Mahrez will probably be off come next season but if staying was an option I'd take him over any winger in the league bar the top 6 and even then he'd still be up there.

what the hell was this, Monsieur Puel? This performance was slower than slowmotion. I have never seen such a boring match of the Foxes against a such weak opponent before. I really hope that all Puel-followers have seen there is no other choice than sack him not after the season but now. The unbelievable double substitution in minute 90 was laughable or did he want to save the draw against Southhampton? Or is this one of his educational measures for his preferred young players. A manager who stands or sits only silently at the playing field edge cannot motivate any team in the world. Puel wants to build up young players, but he lets exactly these young players completely alone during the match and all the other players, too, because he has neither a plan A nor a plan B in his mind. The worst for me is the body language of most players. There is no more fire, no more speed, no more revolt. It's really hard to watch the slowly played passes. When I read what Monsieur Puel said after the match, I did not understand football anymore. As a Leicester fan, I'm totally speechless and angry about what Puel has made out of this team in a short time. It is not only a step backwards, it is a step into nothing. Very sad.

• Like 1

Shocked with how negative Southampton were, surely they need to go for wins at this stage, they came and stuck 11 behind the ball against a team not in great form and with nothing to play for, and apart from 10 mins at the end of the first half showed no real intention of trying to score. Apart from the time in the second half when the ball deflected into Shane Long's path and Hamer had to make a smart save did they have a shot on target?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, trabuch said:

We disagree. We could, I suppose, become a club that is known for sacking managers - like Watford. Not a good tactic in my opinion.

So just so we don’t become one of those clubs we stick with a manager with whom all the evidence suggests will take us backwards?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Foxxed said:

Does anyone want to write off at least 15 matches to find out?

This

It’s been clear to me for two months this guy is not for us, and it’s not going to work; something I’ve been getting stick for. There’s a surprise.

No way on earth this bloke should be given a transfer kitty. 

Find a dynamic manager with modern tactics (not this slow passing game ala 1990s Europe) and let’s see where that takes us. 

2 hours ago, southfox66 said:

We had tough starting fixtures, after Shakespeare left we won, when Puel arrived we won, but largely still a Shakespeare set up, the run Puel we basically still played in our usual style and then suddenly he decided to start his football experiment on us and its been awful, he comes out with the same old clap trap every match how well they played when just throw away 2 points a game in the last five home games

What does that tell you about our players then? 

28 minutes ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

This

It’s been clear to me for two months this guy is not for us, and it’s not going to work; something I’ve been getting stick for. There’s a surprise.

No way on earth this bloke should be given a transfer kitty. 

Find a dynamic manager with modern tactics (not this slow passing game ala 1990s Europe) and let’s see where that takes us. 

I'd prefer to give him until Christmas. But the thought of failure and 25 games of drudgery is difficult to stomach. He could shore us up defensively and eventually improve our attack.

I think most don't want to take that chance because it probably involves watching shed loads of dull games.

4 hours ago, Babylon said:

The subs at the end pissed me off, if you want to give the kids a chance then bring them on with 20 minutes to go, don't give them three minutes. Those substitutions stank of a manager knowing he's under pressure, so he made the substitutions to play the "I'm a long term manager, look at me bringing through the kids" card.

Thought exactly that as well. That reeked of desperation I'm afraid.

3 hours ago, lgfualol said:

Shakespeare barely had a set up. His tactics were "copy Ranieri's failed season and hope for the best". 

We won because the players upped their game to avoid critisism as per usual. Same will happen when Puel goes.

I suggest you look at Shakespeare stats at Leicester and then look at Puels, then you might realise your statement doesn't stand up!