Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
woznotwos

Mahrez to Man City shock

27 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Didn't we get the Roma bid a good month after Mo Salah had signed for Liverpool?

And then they offered much less for him than they had received for Salah. We'd have expected to get Salah and cash for Mahrez.

2 hours ago, AKCJ said:

The major reason our season went anywhere is down to him. How anyone would want a player like Riyad to "clear off" is beyond me.

'Fans' like you deserve Josh Low.

No it's not. He's had 5 good games this season and most of them were during the transfer period, our season went south when he made February all about himself and we've never recovered.

I understand why you and others love him - I used to too - he's a good player, who was great for us for a season and part of the team of legends but you're acting like an ostrich now. He doesn't want to be here, he hasn't been one of the top 40 players in the prem this year, we need him to leave so that we can progress as a team.

49 minutes ago, FIF said:

And then they offered much less for him than they had received for Salah. We'd have expected to get Salah and cash for Mahrez.

No it's not. He's had 5 good games this season and most of them were during the transfer period, our season went south when he made February all about himself and we've never recovered.

I understand why you and others love him - I used to too - he's a good player, who was great for us for a season and part of the team of legends but you're acting like an ostrich now. He doesn't want to be here, he hasn't been one of the top 40 players in the prem this year, we need him to leave so that we can progress as a team.

Sure, that is the reason why ManCity wanted to sign him on deadline day.

He would be good enough to join the squad that just pissed the League, but not that good to remain here ? Utter nonsense.

17 minutes ago, DelBoy73 said:

He would be good enough to join the squad that just pissed the League, but not that good to remain here ? Utter nonsense.

He isn't saying he isn't good enough, he is saying he doesn't want to be here, so doesn't give 100%, as much as he says he does. 

And yes, he would be better for Man City, since you can't double up on any of their players, they have threats all over the park, we have 2.

3 hours ago, AKCJ said:

The major reason our season went anywhere is down to him. How anyone would want a player like Riyad to "clear off" is beyond me.

'Fans' like you deserve Josh Low.

Josh Low might have been one of the worst players I've ever seen play for the club but at least he didn't throw a strop when he didn't get his own way.

Just because Mahrez was part of past success and PFA Player of the Year does not excuse his behaviour.  Noone is bigger than the club and his antics in January were completely unacceptable. 

'Fans' like you need to remember this.  Short memories and all that.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Josh Low might have been one of the worst players I've ever seen play for the club but at least he didn't throw a strop when he didn't get his own way.

Just because Mahrez was part of past success and PFA Player of the Year does not excuse his behaviour.  Noone is bigger than the club and his antics in January were completely unacceptable. 

'Fans' like you need to remember this.  Short memories and all that.

While I completely understand your point I do think you may have misconstrued the person quoted. It's fairly safe to say that Riyad's magic formed a significant aspect of our recent successes. I think the post you quoted referred to the considerable negativity aimed towards him and the seeming desire of some for him to leave. I wholly agree that his alleged strike (and, let's be honest nobody seemed to know what was going on exactly) was absolutely unacceptable and it did demonstrate a degree of arrogance that is unfortunately common in some modern footballers. I also stand with you on the implication that we shouldn't have to let our best players go for less than we value them. However, when he's at his best I think we all can see that he may have outgrown us in terms of immediate potential. Bare in mind that if we allowed him to move he'd already have another Premier League medal and a chance to show his worth in the Champions League again next year as he reaches his peak age. Moreover, the chance to play for arguably the most gifted manager in the modern footballing era would take him to the next level in my opinion. 

The likelihood is that we'll receive a bid in the 70 million pound region - that's more or less 70 million pounds of profit, alongside the countless memories he's provided for all of us. With heavy hearts and huge thank you's, I think it's time we let him see how far he can climb. 

56 minutes ago, DelBoy73 said:

He is good enough to join any squad, not sure why you're accusing me of that. 

Man city "wanted" to sign him on deadline day, not the week before, because they had a player injury "crisis" and they had limited players looking to jump from their clubs on the last day.

He may even have started a game before Sané came back in before he Danny benchwarmed. He isn't as good as Sané (nor as young) or as good as De Bruyne or as good as Aguero or as good as Jesus, nor as good as Sterling, nor as good as Silva, do I need to go on? He wouldn't have been starting at Man city and he wouldn't have got a winner's medal without making enough appearances. Maybe he'd have played in the FA Cup next season though.

I hope he goes to Man City or Liverpool or Arsenal or Barcelona or Real Madrid. I don't mind where he goes but he doesn't want to be at the only club that matters to me so I want him to go. And seeing as he is I want Diabaté to start in his place for the last 4 games of the season.

I heard that Chelsea or one of the top 5 were after Slimani (or any tall guy) on deadline day too. That must mean he's a superstar given your criteria above.

2 minutes ago, FIF said:

He is good enough to join any squad, not sure why you're accusing me of that. 

Man city "wanted" to sign him on deadline day, not the week before, because they had a player injury "crisis" and they had limited players looking to jump from their clubs on the last day.

He may even have started a game before Sané came back in before he Danny benchwarmed. He isn't as good as Sané (nor as young) or as good as De Bruyne or as good as Aguero or as good as Jesus, nor as good as Sterling, nor as good as Silva, do I need to go on? He wouldn't have been starting at Man city and he wouldn't have got a winner's medal without making enough appearances. Maybe he'd have played in the FA Cup next season though.

I hope he goes to Man City or Liverpool or Arsenal or Barcelona or Real Madrid. I don't mind where he goes but he doesn't want to be at the only club that matters to me so I want him to go. And seeing as he is I want Diabaté to start in his place for the last 4 games of the season.

I heard that Chelsea or one of the top 5 were after Slimani (or any tall guy) on deadline day too. That must mean he's a superstar given your criteria above.

Pointless holding onto a player that doesn't want to be here FIF i agree.

He's made that pretty clear. But i'm not convinced we will get an acceptable offer. I still think he'll be here till he can move on a free.

I think he should just go. Fantastically talented as he is, when you sum up what he's done for us - by that I mean balance off the moments of brilliance against the times when he couldn't be arsed to put in a shift (or even actually turn up to play!) I think many other less naturally talented players have at the end of the day contributed more.

• Like 1

Went right off him with his last sulk. Yes he is the most gifted player the clubs had but he hasn't wanted to play for our club since we won the title and going on strike is inexcusable. His behaviour has affected the team and cost us points. People seem to forget the title winning season is the only one where he has stood out. I hope we get rid early, even if we don't get as much as we would like. Players like that are poison, gifted or not.

I still think he's a fantastic player but if he's already agreed to go then I really can't see the point of playing him anymore.

No real romantic end either, it's all just fizzled out into nothing really.

Like Leicester City... he will never match up to 2015/16

Most highly skilled exciting player ive ever seen at Leicester but has (understandably) fallen away along with the team since 15/16

Related image

The poor Lad is surrounded by the likes of rapidly declining Morgan and Simpson so give him a break, We will only see him at his very best again with better players around him.

It is equally as hard as he is constantly double/triple marked by the time he gets the ball because most oppositions are literally not worried about an attack threat by any else in our team really.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

I still think he's a fantastic player but if he's already agreed to go then I really can't see the point of playing him anymore.

No real romantic end either, it's all just fizzled out into nothing really.

If it's a "done deal" we should really be trying Gray or Diabate in the last four games to see if they are up to the task of making his position their own. Play Albrighton at right back to see if he can flourish there and the three behind Vardy should be Gray, Diabate and Iheanacho.

The only caveat to that is we should still be doing enough for 8th spot for the £2m+ per place prize money but now is a good time to see what life without ~Mahrez should be like.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AKCJ said:

What? lol

He has 10 goals and 9 assists ffs.

So what? 

There are more than 40 better players in the prem than him - probably 10 in the Man City squad alone.

2 hours ago, suffolk fox said:

A lot of people on this forum never saw Frank Worthington play for us.  Mahrez good player yes, most gifted, no feckin way.

True and many others. Mahrez wouldn't be able to play on the pitches that they showed silky skills on. I can't picture Mahrez playing in a match on a muddy pitch with the aggressive defenders that used to be allowed to actually defend.

1 hour ago, FIF said:

So what? 

There are more than 40 better players in the prem than him - probably 10 in the Man City squad alone.

NOt sure how you've come to that opinion.

There quite clearly aren't 40 better players in the league. He's joint 14th in the goals table and joint 9th in assists.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

NOt sure how you've come to that opinion.

There quite clearly aren't 40 better players in the league. He's joint 14th in the goals table and joint 9th in assists.

I think I understand your problem.

You read stats and think that the way to judge the best players in the league is on number of goals and assists.

FYI Rooney is joint 14th for goals, Glenn ****ing Murray is 9th! 

FYI Pascal Gross is joint 9th for assists, Delli Alli is 4th, Marc Albrighton has 1 ONE less assist than Mahrez.

FYI Mahrez is NOT in the top 20 for passes.

FYI Mahrez is joint 20th for number of dispossessions

De Gea has no goals nor assists yet he's a far better player than Mahrez. Or do you disagree with that?

Mahrez has no saves, his defensive stats are terrible, his tackles and interceptions are low, his won headers are negligible or do you disagree with that?

Looking at this logically in a top 40 players there'll be about 3/4 goalies, 9 defenders, 9 midfielders and 9 attackers.

If you can sit there with a straight face and tell me that you can't name 9 better attackers in the prem this season (we're not talking about 2015 now) than Mahrez then I'll call the ambulance for you. 

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, FIF said:

Looking at this logically in a top 40 players there'll be about 3/4 goalies, 9 defenders, 9 midfielders and 9 attackers.

If you can sit there with a straight face and tell me that you can't name 9 better attackers in the prem this season (we're not talking about 2015 now) than Mahrez then I'll call the ambulance for you. 

Your problem is that you're sitting there with a straight face trying to compare goalkeepers to attackers.

Mahrez has comfortably been one of the 40 best performing players in the Premier League this season. I don't think you can sit there with a straight face and name 40 players that have had a better season than Mahrez.

Don't back track.

Mahrez is the best player outside the top 6. that much is clear. edit: Some think it's Zaha or Vardy and for Vards, it's a valid opinion. so, at worst he's the 2nd best.

That leaves 6 teams, so, I will list what I think are clearly better players.

Liverpool: Salah.

Man city: Aguero, Silva, KDB (Kompany depending on how you see his play after the injuries)

Spurs: Kane, Eriksen. Alderweireld

Man United: DDG,

Arsenal:......?

Chelsea: Hazard. Kante

Those are 11 players.

Those (IMO) are tier 1. The cream of the crop and there is little room for debate so Mahrez isn't cracking the top 10.

Now tier 2. Here is where I think he (Mahrez) belongs. 

Those are the players that you can debate if he's better or worse than.

Liverpool: Mane, Firmino.

Man city: Raheem, Sane, Jesus, Ederson, Bernardo Silva, Fernandinho, Walker, Otamendi.

Spurs: Son, Dele, Dembele, Lloris.

Man United: Sanchez, Pogba, Lukaku, Valencia, Matic, Mata.

Arsenal: Auba, Ozil, Lacazette, Mkhi, Koscielny.

Chelsea: Morata, willian, luiz, Alonso, Courtois, Cesc, Pedro, Azpilicueta

That's 34 players from tier 2, add 11 from tier 1, + Vardy and it's 46 players in total.

At worst, he's the 47th best player in the league and at an absolute, overhyped best, he's 12th. 

But hey, that(s just my opinion

Edited by the fox
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Your problem is that you're sitting there with a straight face trying to compare goalkeepers to attackers.

Mahrez has comfortably been one of the 40 best performing players in the Premier League this season. I don't think you can sit there with a straight face and name 40 players that have had a better season than Mahrez.

Don't back track.

A goalkeeper IS a footballer you know.

I could name 10 Man City players alone who have had a better season than Mahrez. 

I could name at least 7 Manure players who have had a better season than Mahez.

I could name at least 6 Liverpool players who have had a better season than Mahrez.

I could name at least 10 Spurs players ...

I could name at least 7 Chelsea players...

I could name at least 4 arse players...

I could name at least 2 Burnley players (which isn't bad because I only know the names of 3 Bumley players)

I could name at least 3 Leicester players ....

And that's without even looking at the other 12 clubs in the league who will have at least 1 better player than Mahrez this season.

So that's an easy 61 players IMO.