Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Larry_LCFC

**New** Puel In or Out - A simple Poll Mk 2

Puel In or Out? MK2  

597 members have voted

1. 1. Puel In or Out?

• In
    • Out

3 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

I knew i'd get called out for that, should have stated within the phony time span of premier league history

What i meant about comfortable is that we were shooting for 7th and expecting to get there for a large portion of the season.

I do agree with you we havent looked comfortable on the pitch for a while and it is concerning.  And I agree with you about possibly benching Mahrez (although many of us think without him we are an average team at times, so that could have gone either way) and definitely Puel should have benched other players. Thats my one real criticism of him and I dont understand why he hasnt benched some.

I suppose its ultimately a stick or twist situation and we'll see what happens

However, if we get rid of Puel before next season and next season we flop under a new manager, the Puel in crowd will never be discredited.

Wouldnt you rather we give him a bit of a go so we can definitively dismiss him?

Look, I'm not against Puel and I'm all for giving a manager time, but right now, he's not making it very hard not to like him.

After an initially promising spell with five wins in eight matches, we've just let it slide, come up with half-hearted displays and my biggest concern is that our season right now bears eerie parallels to Puel's time at Southampton. The current trend/form is scary.

To his credit, I'd say the Mahrez January transfer window saga has played a part in our results ever since. Mahrez himself is a shadow of his former self and him not being able to influence games like he used to has certainly added to a general sense of apathy within the squad.

15 minutes ago, cityfanlee23 said:

Agree with all apart from the clear out bit. 

Even if puel stays I think we need one. 

Wes (past it)

Huth (finished)

Fuchs (head Is in usa)

Mendy (not good enough)

King (not good enough)

James (not good enough) 

Ulloa 

Slimani 

Jakupovic or hamer (replace with actual competition) 

Amartey (isn't A right back and won't get a chance) 

Okazaki (not suited to puel) 

These players either won't make impact off the bench or won't get a game. Pointless wages for most of them. 

Not that I'm advocating we get rid of them all in 1 window as it would be too much change. But atleast 6 of them need to be replaced in the summer if we are to progress. 

Alright Lee, nice to see you emerge again when things aren't going well :thumbup:

Majority of those players you mentioned will likely leave but most are already fringe players, only 2-3 of those can be classed as starters.

It's our starting 11 and the way they are playing under him which is the worrying factor, they just don't suit his methods. Mahrez has become inconsistent again and Vardy looks isolated more than normal.

Edited by kingfox

14 hours ago, Larry_LCFC said:

I REALLY do not understand why people think giving him a big transfer budget and the summer to buy his own players is going to suddenly make us play well. Puel has a very obvious style of play. We saw it at Southampton and we now see a mirror of that here. He is a possession manager and he is content with 3 shots in a game. He could buy the Barcelona team and get them playing backwards. I really don't see what we are trying to achieve. The fact stands, we are underperforming with the players and resources we have available.

Exactly Larry i dont know why others can't see that 

You can't really compare Taylor and Puel, Taylor had a pre- season after taking over a good side from O'Neill and brought his own shight players in and upset most of our big players at the time. Puel took over a side that was heading for relegation under Shakespeare and playing crap long ball football. He got us playing some nice football at first and got us safe fairly quickly. I honestly think some of the big characters in the dressing room know there time is up and they are undermining him.

8 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Look, I'm not against Puel and I'm all for giving a manager time, but right now, he's not making it very hard not to like him.

After an initially promising spell with five wins in eight matches, we've just let it slide, come up with half-hearted displays and my biggest concern is that our season right now bears eerie parallels to Puel's time at Southampton. The current trend/form is scary.

To his credit, I'd say the Mahrez January transfer window saga has played a part in our results ever since. Mahrez himself is a shadow of his former self and him not being able to influence games like he used to has certainly added to a general sense of apathy within the squad.

My doubts have been growing in recent games.  Its just difficult to know what to attribute the form to when as you say the Mahrez thing had a large effect

I think a new era of bringing young players in and developing new players like Diabate, who looks great, is just what the club needs and we may as well try that with Puel.

But then again, it depends on how dire one's predictions are. I think some believe Puel could relegate us. Fair enough if anyone thinks that, but i dont.

I mean, in the most simple stat possible he's had 2 seasons in the prem with 2 teams with holes in the squad and he's had 2 top half finishes

Are we really in any danger?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, m4DD0gg said:

Exactly this. He is the worst manager i have seen at Leicester since Taylor.

Would be criminal to give him our summer transfer kitty.

Eh? He's probably 3rd or 4th best since taylor. Better than Bassett, Levien, Kelly, Allen, Megson, Holloway and Sousa for certain - anyone who argues otherwise must have been in a coma '04-'08. Pretty sure he's better than Sven, I'd argue he's better than Shakespeare as well. Obviously Claudio and Pearson ahead of him. Toss up between puel and adams to be behind those two.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

However, if we get rid of Puel before next season and next season we flop under a new manager, the Puel in crowd will never be discredited.

Wouldnt you rather we give him a bit of a go so we can definitively dismiss him?

No!

Early summer is the best time to get a manger in - for one you have more of a selection, managers at clubs are more open to moves, especially given the exciting opportunity we have for any manager. 

Secondly, getting a manger in before pre-season enables them to set pre-season, drill the team on what they want tactically, properly assess squad and address signing and departure issues, etc, etc - which gives them the best chance of being successful.

Now I was one of a few that said they weren’t sure about Shakes towards the end of his caretaker season. I saw signs that he struggled making the correct decisions under pressure and just felt he wasn’t suited to the managers job. Was this hunch proved right?

You could say so - when I saw the fixtures released, I knew he was all but doomed given the tough away games he faced, yet it’s amazing to think that some alternative decisions in that opening Arsenal game where we’d played better than I had expected and actually completed could have brought us an opening day win and things might have turned out differently.

But they didn’t... Appleton then showed what can be achieved through slight managerial tweaks (he’s much more of a manager figure than Shakey ever was) and a buzz was established that when appointed, Puel was able to carry for a while.

But the owners will have witnessed all this and I imagine learned from the Shakey situation - if it doesn’t feel right, don’t persist blindly hoping something will miraculously change - especially given the risk that with a bad start any comfortable mid table side in the division can suddenly see themselves starring at relegation (think West Brom, Southampton, Stoke, West Ham, Swansea, Everton). 

Edited by DJ Barry Hammond
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Eh? He's probably 3rd or 4th best since taylor. Better than Bassett, Levien, Kelly, Allen, Megson, Holloway and Sousa for certain - anyone who argues otherwise must have been in a coma '04-'08. Pretty sure he's better than Sven, I'd argue he's better than Shakespeare as well. Obviously Claudio and Pearson ahead of him. Toss up between puel and adams to be behind those two.

Shakes ranks above Puel purely for the Liverpool and Seville home games.

6 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Shakes ranks above Puel purely for the Liverpool and Seville home games.

Two good games but lets be clear, Shakespeare was an expert in making us look slightly worse than whoever we were playing. Post the first five games as caretaker he was well and truly out of his depth

51 minutes ago, cityfanlee23 said:

Agree with all apart from the clear out bit. 

Even if puel stays I think we need one. 

Wes (past it)

Huth (finished)

Fuchs (head Is in usa)

Mendy (not good enough)

King (not good enough)

James (not good enough) 

Ulloa 

Slimani 

Jakupovic or hamer (replace with actual competition) 

Amartey (isn't A right back and won't get a chance) 

Okazaki (not suited to puel) 

These players either won't make impact off the bench or won't get a game. Pointless wages for most of them. 

Not that I'm advocating we get rid of them all in 1 window as it would be too much change. But atleast 6 of them need to be replaced in the summer if we are to progress. 

I agree with most of this, except I would definitely not get rid of Amartey. He's young and versatile, and was doing a good job at RB before he got injured. I think there's a good chance he'd be happy as a squad player, and I think he's got potential.

We'd probably want to keep one of King, James or Mendy as a backup if we can, as well.

Not sure about Okazaki, really. He might be useful for one more season.

Apart from the ones I mentioned, I agree - the rest should be moved on sooner rather than later.

It will probably be a very busy transfer window. Let's hope we get it right this time.

15 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Two good games but lets be clear, Shakespeare was an expert in making us look slightly worse than whoever we were playing. Post the first five games as caretaker he was well and truly out of his depth

I don't think anyone is disputing that.

When people compare Shakespeare and Puel I don't think anyone is sticking up for Shakespeare they are purely comparing that Shakespeare is a poor manager, out his depth yet Puel's reckon is on a par (Slightly worse?)

However Shakespeare gave me more joy, excitment and pride in those two games than I have at any point under Puel.

In Puel's defence he's not had the opportunity to play against Sevilla (Or equal opposition) in the Champions League. I don't see him having the opportunity any time soon either.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Matt said:

I don't think anyone is disputing that.

When people compare Shakespeare and Puel I don't think anyone is sticking up for Shakespeare they are purely comparing that Shakespeare is a poor manager, out his depth yet Puel's reckon is on a par (Slightly worse?)

However Shakespeare gave me more joy, excitment and pride in those two games than I have at any point under Puel.

In Puel's defence he's not had the opportunity to play against Sevilla (Or equal opposition) in the Champions League. I don't see him having the opportunity any time soon either.

Not having that though. Puel has been far better than Shakespeare. Even the disappointing results under Puel have been better than the games under Shakespeare - take Bournemouth. Both drew, under Shakespeare we should have lost heavily, under Puel we created a lot and should have won. But beyond that Puel is clearly not the worst manager we've had since Taylor like some absolute goober claimed - he's not even in the bottom 50% because we've had a lot of absolute guff since Taylor 

1 hour ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

No!

Early summer is the best time to get a manger in - for one you have more of a selection, managers at clubs are more open to moves, especially given the exciting opportunity we have for any manager. 

Secondly, getting a manger in before pre-season enables them to set pre-season, drill the team on what they want tactically, properly assess squad and address signing and departure issues, etc, etc - which gives them the best chance of being successful.

Now I was one of a few that said they weren’t sure about Shakes towards the end of his caretaker season. I saw signs that he struggled making the correct decisions under pressure and just felt he wasn’t suited to the managers job. Was this hunch proved right?

You could say so - when I saw the fixtures released, I knew he was all but doomed given the tough away games he faced, yet it’s amazing to think that some alternative decisions in that opening Arsenal game where we’d played better than I had expected and actually completed could have brought us an opening day win and things might have turned out differently.

But they didn’t... Appleton then showed what can be achieved through slight managerial tweaks (he’s much more of a manager figure than Shakey ever was) and a buzz was established that when appointed, Puel was able to carry for a while.

But the owners will have witnessed all this and I imagine learned from the Shakey situation - if it doesn’t feel right, don’t persist blindly hoping something will miraculously change - especially given the risk that with a bad start any comfortable mid table side in the division can suddenly see themselves starring at relegation (think West Brom, Southampton, Stoke, West Ham, Swansea, Everton). 

The highlighted advantages are what Puel has not had.

So he hasnt had the best chance of being successful right?

We had all the time last summer to get someone in, and it wasnt world cup year. I'm sure the owners didnt have Shakey as top priority

1 hour ago, nettle said:

You can't really compare Taylor and Puel, Taylor had a pre- season after taking over a good side from O'Neill and brought his own shight players in and upset most of our big players at the time. Puel took over a side that was heading for relegation under Shakespeare and playing crap long ball football. He got us playing some nice football at first and got us safe fairly quickly. I honestly think some of the big characters in the dressing room know there time is up and they are undermining him.

No.

But keep telling yourself that.

We were 18th after losses against Arsenal, Manchester United, Chelsea and Liverpool, FFS! The season had barely begun and how you can claim „we were heading for relegation“ at that stage of the season is beyond me.

• Like 1

The rise of ‘Puel out’ surprises me for many reasons.

He came to us when we were 18th. We are now 8th. Yes, current form is alarming, but at least give him a pre season...

Not being a ‘sacking club’ (like Watford) has got us where we are today - I’m thinking NP when we were winless in 16 in the Championship or whatever. NP build the club into the team/ethos we know today. And before anyone says Ranieri/Shakey sackings show we are a sacking club, we were in the relegation zone with each, so arguably justifiable.

If anything needs to change, for me it’s this insidious atmosphere from the dressing room - leaking to press, trying to undermine management etc. These players need to change their ways or be hoofed out. No single or small group of players is bigger than the club. If they don’t like the style of play then they should go.

Makes me think the strong dressing room created by NP, and the responsibility he gave them, is a monster out of control.

Puel was brought here to transition to a new way of playing. Counter attack is a valuable component, but it was our plan A, B & C... if players don’t like this new direction they should be shown the door.

I’d love to know who these players are. I suspect one of them is Morgan. I’m very grateful to them for what they have done, but every dog has its day.

• Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

No.

But keep telling yourself that.

We were 18th after losses against Arsenal, Manchester United, Chelsea and Liverpool, FFS! The season had barely begun and how you can claim „we were heading for relegation“ at that stage of the season is beyond me.

Do you think Shakespeare would have kept us up then? The football was shocking under him this season maybe you enjoyed it though.

Edited by nettle

8 minutes ago, bmouth_fox said:

The rise of ‘Puel out’ surprises me for many reasons.

He came to us when we were 18th. We are now 8th. Yes, current form is alarming, but at least give him a pre season...

Not being a ‘sacking club’ (like Watford) has got us where we are today - I’m thinking NP when we were winless in 16 in the Championship or whatever. NP build the club into the team/ethos we know today. And before anyone says Ranieri/Shakey sackings show we are a sacking club, we were in the relegation zone with each, so arguably justifiable.

If anything needs to change, for me it’s this insidious atmosphere from the dressing room - leaking to press, trying to undermine management etc. These players need to change their ways or be hoofed out. No single or small group of players is bigger than the club. If they don’t like the style of play then they should go.

Makes me think the strong dressing room created by NP, and the responsibility he gave them, is a monster out of control.

Puel was brought here to transition to a new way of playing. Counter attack is a valuable component, but it was our plan A, B & C... if players don’t like this new direction they should be shown the door.

I’d love to know who these players are. I suspect one of them is Morgan. I’m very grateful to them for what they have done, but every dog has its day.

Urgh, do I have to do this again?!

:frusty: :frusty::frusty:

No, no we weren't.

We we're 18th when Shakespeare got sacked, Appleton took over for the game v Swansea, we won, that single win took us to 14th, Puel came in, won his first games, another single win took us up to 11th, it took another 6 weeks to get us 8th, we've stayed there since

So that tells you what a myth it is about the 'mess' we were in that some would like you to believe but also tells you how poor the league is.

Edited by Matt

Just now, Matt said:

No, no we weren't.

We we're 18th when Shakespeare got sacked, Appleton took over for the game v Swansea, we won, that single win took us to 14th, Puel came in, won his first games, another single win took us up to 11th, it took another 6 weeks to get us 8th, we've stayed there since

So that tells you what a myth it is about the 'mess' we were in that some would like you to believe but also tells you how poor the league is.

Fair play. Over the season though it has been upward trajectory is the key point, albeit that has faltered recently.

7 minutes ago, Matt said:

:frusty: :frusty::frusty:

No, no we weren't.

Simply saying "we were 14th" doesn't quite put it into perspective. That one win under Appleton only put us 1 point above 18th.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UPinCarolina said:

Some seem hellbent on us going from Southampton 2016-2017 to Southampton 2017-2018. 

I assume that comment is supporting Puel, you're one of a few people saying 'Be careul what you wish for, look at Southampton this season' e.t.c.

Just playing devils advocate.

IF we had brought Pulis in when we brought Puel in would you still have the same opinion?

Bearing in mind WBA look done?

Bearing in mind WBA finished 10th on 45 points last season - which isn't outrageous to suggest we'll finish the same this season, Ironically they were 8th very point last season.

Just making the comparison, I mean it makes as much sense (As in no sense whatsoever) as the people saying 'we could be in Southampton's position next season if we sack him'.