Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Larry_LCFC

**New** Puel In or Out - A simple Poll Mk 2

Puel In or Out? MK2  

597 members have voted

1. 1. Puel In or Out?

• In
    • Out

5 hours ago, lgfualol said:

Pearson got a lot of love in much worse form.

Pearson also had Konchesky, De Laet, Liam Moore, Nugent and Gary Taylor-Fletcher. I mean, Dean Hammond made 14 apps, ffs.

Even though there were lows, there's a difference between the squad that Pearson had, and the position we were in as a club, then their are now. And that's discounting the fact that Pearson earned us two promotions, and showed he could build a decent squad on a shoe-string budget.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

I'm still behind him, results haven't been good enough recently but I want to see what he can do with a summer window and a full pre-season. We need a bit of a clear out here and dropping Wes and Simpson last night was a big, brave call for me and one that needed making (you could argue that he persisted with both for too long, of course).

He has an eye on youth which is refreshing and I think his record in management is good enough for us to trust him to identify what we need to improve on in the market. I desperately don't want to become another club on the Proper Football Man merry go round signing Jake Livermore and Ryan Shawcross with a squad average age of 33.

Yeah basically this.

I don’t know if it will work out or not but his record is good enough to be given a proper go. Since when were managers judged so quickly here?

I honestly don't know at the minute.

I like the idealogy of using the youths, integrating them in the first team. Shows signs of a long term appointment with (hopefully) positive outcome.

Also, the balls to drop your captain for once. (I know Wes has been an integral part for us, but you can't go on that basis forever. No player is key for a lifetime)

But on the other hand, some of his decisions (i.e. late subs) and his tactics that bore us, and the lack ambition in matches, want us to replace him with someone who can bring excitement.

One part of me ones him to succeed in the hope he can bring a good core of youth players, playing a decent possession smart way of football, but the other half who goes to watch, wants my money's worth of attractive, adrenaline fueled football.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, l444ry said:

Player power is a cheap argument to put up, You'll always get strong minded players at any club with a point to make. Managers need leaders to help win games and you ignore the Steve Walsh, Gerry Taggart and Ali Mauchlen's of the world at your peril. It's not player power, it's common sense to keep these players onside.     

I think it's certainly healthy to have players asking questions and helping managers make improvements, and having leaders is obviously a good thing, but there comes a point when these players have too much influence and it begins to create the feeling that they are actively undermining the manager. As far as I'm concerned it should be less about keeping them onside and more about the players applying themselves fully in support of their manager as far as possible - which does not seem to be the case presently.

It maybe is a cheap argument to pull up and, crucially, it's a difficult one to provide proof for. No sane player is going to actively come out and criticise the manager or his methods, and it's more difficult to believe reports of unrest when it's nebulous "sources in the changing room" being quoted. However, those reports aren't anything new with this group of players and I don't think it's unfair to suggest they don't currently give the impression of trying their hardest.

Like many others I refused to think that the players might have had anything to do with Ranieri going, but it's a bit easier to believe when the rumours come around the second time.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Guest said:

I think it's certainly healthy to have players asking questions and helping managers make improvements, and having leaders is obviously a good thing, but there comes a point when these players have too much influence and it begins to create the feeling that they are actively undermining the manager. As far as I'm concerned it should be less about keeping them onside and more about the players applying themselves fully in support of their manager as far as possible - which does not seem to be the case presently.

It maybe is a cheap argument to pull up and, crucially, it's a difficult one to provide proof for. No sane player is going to actively come out and criticise the manager or his methods, and it's more difficult to believe reports of unrest when it's nebulous "sources in the changing room" being quoted. However, those reports aren't anything new with this group of players and I don't think it's unfair to suggest they don't presently give the impression of trying their hardest.

Well said. You make the point far better than I did.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

In but if we're playing like we are now a few games into next season, he's gone. 

This.

I hope it doesn't come to that, because it effectively means a summer of recruitment and pre-season down the sh*tter.

With are remaining fixtures, he could easily by looking at 5 wins from 21 by the end of the season. Can't see us getting anything against Arsenal, Spurs, Palace, can only see us beating W Ham.

He will be under massive pressure at the start of next season! 

Momentum is only going one way at the moment! 

People should look at his Southampton signings hardy set the league on fire last season or this! 

Edited by coolhandfox

13 minutes ago, Larry_LCFC said:

I REALLY do not understand why people think giving him a big transfer budget and the summer to buy his own players is going to suddenly make us play well. Puel has a very obvious style of play. We saw it at Southampton and we now see a mirror of that here. He is a possession manager and he is content with 3 shots in a game. He could buy the Barcelona team and get them playing backwards. I really don't see what we are trying to achieve. The fact stands, we are underperforming with the players and resources we have available.

I trust him to buy players we need. If it turns out he can’t make it work then we have the right players for a manager who can. 

16 minutes ago, Larry_LCFC said:

I REALLY do not understand why people think giving him a big transfer budget and the summer to buy his own players is going to suddenly make us play well. Puel has a very obvious style of play. We saw it at Southampton and we now see a mirror of that here. He is a possession manager and he is content with 3 shots in a game. He could buy the Barcelona team and get them playing backwards. I really don't see what we are trying to achieve. The fact stands, we are underperforming with the players and resources we have available.

Isnt it an equal gamble to fire him and sign someone else, giving them a big budget without even managing the team before?

There is no rush for Europe. I trust Puel and I think he needs a bit of time to to build up the foundations for the club and play the style he wants us to play. I much rather go for Europe next season when Puel has built a team that suits his style of play. We all just need to be patient, you can’t build a team in half a season ffs

2 hours ago, ttfn said:

We were playing to our “best style” when we finished 12th last season and were 18th when Shakespeare left.

Absolutely no chance we’d have even been in with a sniff of Europa League had we carried on with the “best style”.  We wouldn’t even have been talking about Europa League had it not been for the start he made, just look at the “am I mad for thinking we’ll finish 8th” thread where everybody laughed at the OP.

Puel is trying to totally revolutionise the playing style of the entire football club. This does not happen overnight, it’s never happened overnight anywhere. That he’s managed to implement some level of transition without us ever having even flirted with the relegation zone is to his credit. Realistically our most optimistic fans would have been pleased with 7th when he took over and there’s every chance we will miss that by one place. Is that really a good case for changing the manager?

The last five home games have produced a collection of desperately poor results but on the balance of play we really ought to be sat on 4-8 more points from those fixtures in which case we’d still be looking at a promising end to the season. These things happen in football - it’s not cost us anything significant. 

People are absolutely within their rights to criticise the style of play and what we’ve become and argue that we’re being led by the wrong man (although critique of his personality is absolutely crackers, Ian Holloway had a good personality it didn’t make him a good football manager). I think he’s made some big mistakes, notably persevering with Morgan and Simpson and (though I was certainly in the minority at the time) loaning out Slimani. But as far as I’m concerned he’s put us on the right path. For that alone I’m willing to give him next season.

Stylistically were in a really difficult spot. You only need to look at Burnley’s success this season (and indeed ours from November 2015-April 2016) to see how difficult it is to score against a deep set defence. Because of our almost unique threat behind the defensive line literally every single team we play outside the top 6 sets up with a deep lying back 4 and an aggressive press on our midfield. Look at Southampton yesterday - set up looking to contain our threat behind first and foremost despite the fact that they desperately needed a win. Man City aside every team in the league struggles to break this down;we’re not unique in that sense. Yes, it’s Puel’s job to work it out but far more celebrated minds with far better players have struggled to figure it out elsewhere. 

Whatever happens now the board need to be decisive. My preference is that they back Puel in the transfer market, bring in 3-5 new players to support the style he wants to play and give him at least until Christmas to get us in the top half and playing good football. But if they don’t do that they need to be looking for a new manager now and have them ready to come in at the start of June with a clear plan as to how they evolve this team.

The main reason why we've never flirted with relegation, and it's plain to see, isn't solely down to Puel or only thanks to him. We're witness to a Premier League season where the top clubs are pulling away, leaving a wasteland behind, with mediocre teams fighting for scraps.

We're incredibly lucky to be one of the best of a rather bad and bland bunch. If it weren't for the failings of the teams behind us, the situation would be much, much worse. Plus the amount of points we've dropped at home and against poorer opposition... Yes, if we had picked up four to eight more points from Bournemouth (h), Stoke (h), Swansea (h), Burnley (a), Newcastle (h), we'd probably be above Burnley now... But we didn't, because we played like shit!

For all the criticism aimed at Shakespeare, the four losses at the beginning of the season were against Arsenal (now 6th), Manchester United (2nd), Chelsea (5th) and Liverpool (3rd). Which manager would've done better with that whopping program to the start of the new campaign?

You can whitewash the "but we're 8th" story as much as you want to, we're not giving it the fight that so many fans are craving for, instead let it slip away. Everton and Newcastle in particular are on our heels. Heck, I don't need us to play in the Europa League, but at least have a go, try to catch Burnley, make for an exciting season finale! Instead, we're treated to utterly drab possession-based football. We've scored more than two goals in a match only once in the past twelve outings. Four wins out of 17. No home win since late January. Terrible, turgid, tragic.

And why the transition DURING an ongoing season? It's bonkers. Bringing on youth players with two, three minutes to play just for the sake of it (but then being praised by some fans for "putting an emphasis on youth players" on matchday 34 out of 38 :blink:). Not being able to rectify our First Half Syndrome for weeks. Forcing a 31-year old right-back to play right wing-back (although Simpson could've maybe made a better meal out of it). Making funny observations after games, (totally) contrary to what most fans saw. Needing a translator for some of the most basic questions in English. Bedazzling his own players. Favouring out-of-form players (Mahrez) for too long and a captain in dire search of his shape and composure. Loaning out our two tallest strikers, then forcing our wingers to put crosses into the box for Vardy to pick them up. Where will it end?

How on earth can you come to the conclusion now that he's "put us on the right path" with all these misgivings in place?

Why excusing our own shortcomings by praising the opposition instead? That's a classic example of deflecting the blame. Southampton tried to play for a win, more than we did after the first 20 or so minutes. They had more shots on goal and - in all honesty - the better goalscoring chances. In the second half, they took the foot off the gas, knowing we wouldn't really threaten them, they were simply keen on snatching a point. Which serves them potentially more than it does us right now. The same Southampton team that had shipped an average of three goals in their past four matches prior to yesterday's encounter...

We're looking at four more matches to go, with two games against teams fighting against relegation (Crystal Palace, West Ham) and two Top Six teams (Spurs, Arsenal) on the up. It's not looking good at the moment, and we could potentially be stuck on four wins in 21 comes the end of the season, also because this team and this manager have never made it clear that they're up for the challenge or are motivated enough to end the season in style. I do hope Puel and the players turn it around, or else it would be highly unforgivable in my eyes, given all the golden opportunities we've wasted. But that's just me.

However, right now, it's not looking good for Puel, I'm afraid.

Edited by MC Prussian
  • Like 3

I want puel to stay but I don't think hell see the start of next season. I can see it being the same as southampton last season - looking for someone better in the summer. I just hope our judgement is better than Southamptons was. The 4 games and the points we get will imo decide whose in charge next season. 

9 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

Isnt it an equal gamble to fire him and sign someone else, giving them a big budget without even managing the team before?

Only if you don't do any research.

Look, the owners are basically playing Russian Roullette with managers. We could get a Ranieri or we could get a Sven. Nobody at the club knows what they are doing.

But the fact is there is not a thing to like about this manager and I don't believe there aren't better managers out there if we looked hard enough. We can't just accept crap because we might get someone worse, this is a competitive sport and a club without ambition may as well just fold.

• Like 3

Sending Slimani out on loan looks like a major error. Yes he's been injured but he's helped Newcastle recently and we've struggled without a target man for crosses and he showed up well against Huddersfield.

He could have been useful for a couple of goals. Vardys had to carry the scoring threat by himself.

Other teams are predicting the slow methodical play.They are marking vardy and mahrez  tight and leaving chillwell spare to receive the ball then showing him the line.They know then they can start again as there is no end product.If we keep puel we will be bored shitless and in a relegstion fight.

1 hour ago, Kitchandro said:

Only if you don't do any research.

Look, the owners are basically playing Russian Roullette with managers. We could get a Ranieri or we could get a Sven. Nobody at the club knows what they are doing.

But the fact is there is not a thing to like about this manager and I don't believe there aren't better managers out there if we looked hard enough. We can't just accept crap because we might get someone worse, this is a competitive sport and a club without ambition may as well just fold.

Cant wait to see who Rudkin gets. My money would be on another sacking within 3 months!

1 hour ago, Kitchandro said:

This is one of those comments that has just been borrowed from someone else. Copied from the apologists who are too cowardly to deal with brave decisions. You have not put any thought into this yourself.

We won't get into Europe (not even the 2nd rate version even Arsenal do well in) under this manager, because he is not a good manager. His style of play is poor, and letting him bring in players to suit this terrible style (if he even has control over that sort of thing) will only make us worse.

People aren't annoyed because we're not in Europe, they're annoyed because we are playing dreadful football that has no potential. We cannot bring in the best players because we aren't one of the richer clubs, and therefore possession football will not work with us. Anyone who plays pressing football successfully (see Leicester 2015/16) will beat sides like us and any club bigger or richer than us will have better players with a similar style and will therefore will beat sides like us.

The evidence so far suggests that teams under managers like Puel will regress the longer he is in charge, because that's what has happened since he's been in charge - we have regressed the longer time has gone on.

We don't want him to build a team because he has shown no sign he can do that to a positive effect. You feel sorry for him because you are weak and don't understand football. Not because you actually believe we will be a good team if he's allowed to stamp his authority on this club.

I haven’t read any of the other comments as I’ve only just came on to this thread so it’s good to see that some people have a similar view... what are you expecting from a manager who has only been at the club for a short amount of time. He is a good manager and has proved that in his previous clubs. We are one of the richer clubs as we are in something like the top 20 richest teams in Europe. Look at Sean dyche or even Nigel Pearson when he was at Leicester they’ve been given time at a club to gradually build a team that is competitive enought to play at a high standard... Puel bringing us to the top 8 is a fairly successful season as far as I’m concerned, I’m sure many people would’ve took that at the start of the season. Do NOT accuse me of being ‘weak’ and ‘do not understand football’ because I’ve been a season ticket holder since a young age at Leicester city. You obviously think that any manager can walk into a team like Leicester and get them to play good football and get a load of wins, not really realistic is it?????

Edited by Wolfboy
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Wolfboy said:

I haven’t read any of the other comments as I’ve only just came on to this thread so it’s good to see that some people have a similar view... what are you expecting from a manager who has only been at the club for a short amount of time. He is a good manager and has proved that in his previous clubs. We are one of the richer clubs as we are in something like the top 20 richest teams in Europe. Look at Sean dyche or even Nigel Pearson when he was at Leicester they’ve been given time at a club to gradually build a team that is competitive enought to play at a high standard... Puel bringing us to the top 8 is a fairly successful season as far as I’m concerned, I’m sure many people would’ve took that at the start of the season. 

There was a different set of circumstances with Pearson and his endless supply of Reebok Classics.

He got time that few others would have been given and thats mainly down to lifting us from the club's nadir. Since Martin O'Neill left the term for a manager has generally been very short. I would expect that to be the case with Claude.

3 hours ago, ttfn said:

We were playing to our “best style” when we finished 12th last season and were 18th when Shakespeare left.

Absolutely no chance we’d have even been in with a sniff of Europa League had we carried on with the “best style”.  We wouldn’t even have been talking about Europa League had it not been for the start he made, just look at the “am I mad for thinking we’ll finish 8th” thread where everybody laughed at the OP.

Puel is trying to totally revolutionise the playing style of the entire football club. This does not happen overnight, it’s never happened overnight anywhere. That he’s managed to implement some level of transition without us ever having even flirted with the relegation zone is to his credit. Realistically our most optimistic fans would have been pleased with 7th when he took over and there’s every chance we will miss that by one place. Is that really a good case for changing the manager?

The last five home games have produced a collection of desperately poor results but on the balance of play we really ought to be sat on 4-8 more points from those fixtures in which case we’d still be looking at a promising end to the season. These things happen in football - it’s not cost us anything significant. 

People are absolutely within their rights to criticise the style of play and what we’ve become and argue that we’re being led by the wrong man (although critique of his personality is absolutely crackers, Ian Holloway had a good personality it didn’t make him a good football manager). I think he’s made some big mistakes, notably persevering with Morgan and Simpson and (though I was certainly in the minority at the time) loaning out Slimani. But as far as I’m concerned he’s put us on the right path. For that alone I’m willing to give him next season.

Stylistically were in a really difficult spot. You only need to look at Burnley’s success this season (and indeed ours from November 2015-April 2016) to see how difficult it is to score against a deep set defence. Because of our almost unique threat behind the defensive line literally every single team we play outside the top 6 sets up with a deep lying back 4 and an aggressive press on our midfield. Look at Southampton yesterday - set up looking to contain our threat behind first and foremost despite the fact that they desperately needed a win. Man City aside every team in the league struggles to break this down;we’re not unique in that sense. Yes, it’s Puel’s job to work it out but far more celebrated minds with far better players have struggled to figure it out elsewhere. 

Whatever happens now the board need to be decisive. My preference is that they back Puel in the transfer market, bring in 3-5 new players to support the style he wants to play and give him at least until Christmas to get us in the top half and playing good football. But if they don’t do that they need to be looking for a new manager now and have them ready to come in at the start of June with a clear plan as to how they evolve this team.

Why do people completely miss the point, at the start of the season we had a very tough set of fixtures, the moment we sacked Shakespeare we won both the following games, still playing largely the same style as Shakespeare when Puel took full control of the side he allowed them to play the style that suited them best and had a good run of results, Europa football was on the cards then he changed the way we played, as a result we have now drawn the last five home games and blown our europa place to me thats bad management, if the current side cant play his way its a pointless exercise, if you running a team you should get the best results playing the way the team plays best, not trying to change mid season, he has effectively cost us millions and that is a fact, to coin NP words if you cant see that your an ostrich. You tell me what Puels going to achieve previous managers haven't, maybe you should compare Shakespeares Leicester stats to Puels Leicester stats, then maybe youll realise Shakespeare did a pretty good job for us in the main. 

• Like 2