Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MC Prussian

Russia 2018 - The World Cup thread

Guest MattP
10 hours ago, Blue ROI said:

Last good one from start to finish for me was France 98.

The last few have started off great but then the good games get few and far between from the quarter final stage onwards. 

The 2010 World Cup was appalling. Worst one I can ever remember. 

The quality has been diluted too much now, far too many places for Africa, North America and Asia.

2014 was pretty good though I thought.

Nothing will top 1994 though, almost every last 16 and last 8 match was a classic.

34 minutes ago, MattP said:

The quality has been diluted too much now, far too many places for Africa, North America and Asia.

2014 was pretty good though I thought.

Nothing will top 1994 though, almost every last 16 and last 8 match was a classic.

Really? The final was one of the most turgid games of football ever (alongside the 1990 final). A player got assassinated for scoring an own goal in the group stages. And the majority of the host country barely knew, or cared, the tournament was being staged in their country (apologies to our handful of fine American posters).

Mexico '86 was my favourite. The thin air led to some absolute netbusters. We had the most technically gifted footballer that has so far ever lived cheating, and then confirming his genius within the space of 5 minutes. Plus a dramatic final. Oh, and a boy from Leicester won the golden boot. '94 my arse.

Edited by SouthStandUpperTier
  • Like 1

Livermore what is the point, I get Wilshere probably hasn't gone because of his attitude more than his footballing capabilities.

Welbeck done anything of note this season either?

Drinkwater has missed the boat as well due to his transfer debacle, if he had stayed with us I'm pretty sure he would be in the squad

11 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Jake ****ing Livermore has no place whatsoever in an England squad.

11 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

How the fcuk is Wilshere not going over the likes of Livermore? I'm genuinely astounded, he's stayed fit for the majority of the season for the first time in years and yet he's being ignored for absolute dross. 

11 hours ago, Osavo said:

Absolutely ****ing criminal taking Livermore and Lallana and leaving Wilshere and Shelvey at home, if that is indeed the case. Livermore was a regular in a relegated team ffs, and didn't play well at all, how on earth can you justify picking him?!

Southgate looking at the stats:

"Hmm... Jack, 20 league matches played - one goal, two assists."

"Hmm. Jake, 34 league matches played - two goals, two assists."

"Jake, you're in. Relegated with West Brom, that's good enough for England."

Guest MattP
56 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Really? The final was one of the most turgid games of football ever (alongside the 1990 final). A player got assassinated for scoring an own goal in the group stages. And the majority of the host country barely knew, or cared, the tournament was being staged in their country (apologies to our handful of fine American posters).

Mexico '86 was my favourite. The thin air led to some absolute netbusters. We had the most technically gifted footballer that has so far ever lived cheating, and then confirming his genius within the space of 5 minutes. Plus a dramatic final. Oh, and a boy from Leicester won the golden boot. '94 my arse. 

It broke the World Cup average attendance record with nearly 69,000 spectators per game (highest goals per match as well in the modern era), a mark that still stands today so enough people did care.The final was shite though, I'll give you that.

The Romania v Argentina, Bulgaria v Germany, Holland v Brazil games though, three all time World Cup classics in one tournament, I still remember being about 12 years old goading all the Germans as Letchkov knocked them out, it was probably the last time all these superstars burst onto the World Cup with few of us having heard of them as well, Hagi, Stoichkov, Bergkamp etc - we only knew of players like Baggio and Batistuta because of Golazzo. We know everyone know as they are all at the top clubs.

Off the field stuff was spectacular as well, Escobar, Maradona drugs test, I'm sure I'd have loved Mexico 86' as well had I been old enough to remember it though, every time a World Cup goes to America it seems to be a good one.

Edited by MattP

45 minutes ago, MattP said:

It broke the World Cup average attendance record with nearly 69,000 spectators per game (highest goals per match as well in the modern era), a mark that still stands today so enough people did care.The final was shite though, I'll give you that.

The Romania v Argentina, Bulgaria v Germany, Holland v Brazil games though, three all time World Cup classics in one tournament, I still remember being about 12 years old goading all the Germans as Letchkov knocked them out, it was probably the last time all these superstars burst onto the World Cup with few of us having heard of them as well, Hagi, Stoichkov, Bergkamp etc - we only knew of players like Baggio and Batistuta because of Golazzo. We know everyone know as they are all at the top clubs.

Off the field stuff was spectacular as well, Escobar, Maradona drugs test, I'm sure I'd have loved Mexico 86' as well had I been old enough to remember it though, every time a World Cup goes to America it seems to be a good one.

WC94 is still the only tournament to begin and end with a missed penalty (Diana Ross & Roberto Baggio). So it's got that going for it.

• Haha 1

I'm going to make the argument for Livermore. 

Realistically, the last two-three picks for the squad won't play a game and will be tourists. So you want someone who will be a good passenger. A player who won't rock the boat, will add to the atmosphere and will be professional in training to help prepare the first team. 

By all accounts, Livermore cancelled a holiday to join an England squad under Southgate, even though he didn't play, so that shows he puts the England squad first.

Compare to Wilshere. He can't be relied upon fitness wise and needs to be managed. So he can't train as intensively as Southgate will want and will need more managing than perhaps any other player, when he will be a squad player, not a first teamer.

Similarly with Shelvey. Whilst he has matured, can Southgate trust him properly not to get bored and do something silly when he is spending three weeks cooped up in the England camp, with next to zero chance of playing?

So I can understand picking Livermore, although it probably says more about the current quality we have in midfield than it does Southgate.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, breadandcheese said:

I'm going to make the argument for Livermore. 

Realistically, the last two-three picks for the squad won't play a game and will be tourists. So you want someone who will be a good passenger. A player who won't rock the boat, will add to the atmosphere and will be professional in training to help prepare the first team. 

By all accounts, Livermore cancelled a holiday to join an England squad under Southgate, even though he didn't play, so that shows he puts the England squad first.

Compare to Wilshere. He can't be relied upon fitness wise and needs to be managed. So he can't train as intensively as Southgate will want and will need more managing than perhaps any other player, when he will be a squad player, not a first teamer.

Similarly with Shelvey. Whilst he has matured, can Southgate trust him properly not to get bored and do something silly when he is spending three weeks cooped up in the England camp, with next to zero chance of playing?

So I can understand picking Livermore, although it probably says more about the current quality we have in midfield than it does Southgate.

Wasn't Livermore involved in the West Brom taxi incident? Hardly professional, good passenger behaviour.

• Like 1

Squad announced at 1pm. There is bound to be some inclusions that make next to no sense. Livermore being one of them if he is picked.

If Livermore does go then Drinkwater will be kicking himself, it wouldn't have taken much game time for him to have been ahead of Livermore in Southgate's head.

Just goes to show the grass isn't always greener.

Southgate has tried to incorporate a club like feeling around the England squad, and I think he sees team spirit and personalities as important. He has called up people over the last few years to get them used to being with England and I'd be surprised if he picks anyone outside of this group of players, which probably rules Shelvey out.

Wilshere hasn't played for England since the Iceland game and through away his chance by pulling out of the last squad and then being fine to play for Arsenal's next game.

Rightly or wrongly, Southgate has decided a way he wants to manage England and he will stick to it. That said, Jake Livermore isn't good enough to play for England but that just highlights the problems England have, hopefully this changes over the next couple of years with some of the talented youngsters coming through.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

Leaving Wilshere would be fine if we took the likes of Shelvey and Loftus-Cheek, but if he takes ****ing Livermore I give up. 

yeah, we are going to take a lot of centre backs cos we’re going to play a back 3, and on top of that we’re going to take at least 3 defensive, incredibly uncreative centre mids in henderson, dier and livermore. 

god this is gonna be fun.