Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

2018/19 U23s, Development, U19s etc

23 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

The guys half his side and got under his feet making elder trip into him. Soft.

Will let others make their mind up. Can't see many takers for no penalty. Anyway 1-1 now so hopefully not be a fatal error. 

3 hours ago, EnderbyFox said:

Soyuncu looks a bit dodgy doesn’t he? From what I’ve seen of him in the u23s and for Turkey I think we’ve loaned the wrong CB out lol

Give him a chance for God sake.   At least he is mobile and quicker than a Yak with a broken leg.

Just to add a little perspective to this result before the LCFC media put their spin on this result...

-  LCFC U23s with an avg starting age of 22.4 years old and 209 PL appearances between them managed to secure a 1-1 draw Vs Chelsea U23s with an avg starting age of 18.4 years  old (4 PL appearances)

-  7 of the Chelsea starting X1 were still young enough to be playing for their U18s team (LCFC youngest player = 19)

In essence, a vastly older (+4 years avg age difference) and more experienced Leicester U23s team managed to secure a draw against the core of Chelsea's U18 team.

Development football at its finest...although I suspect that at least Chelsea's youngsters will have gained valuable experience from playing against much older players...!

Edited by Foxy-Lady
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Foxy-Lady said:

Just to add a little perspective to this result before the LCFC media put their spin on this result...

-  LCFC U23s with an avg starting age of 22.4 years old and 209 PL appearances between them managed to secure a 1-1 draw Vs Chelsea U23s with an avg starting age of 18.4 years  old (4 PL appearances)

-  7 of the Chelsea starting X1 were still young enough to be playing for their U18s team (LCFC youngest player = 19)

In essence, a vastly older (+4 years avg age difference) and more experienced Leicester U23s team managed to secure a draw against the core of Chelsea's U18 team.

Development football at its finest...although I suspect that at least Chelsea's youngsters will have gained valuable experience from playing against much older players...!

.....and this is why the whole concept is rubbish and just a marketing scheme for the PL.

These players should either still be at their home town lower league clubs playing 1st team football, assuming they're good enough and if not why at that age are they in our academy or in a restore proper run 'reserve' league pushing for a realistic spot in the 1st team. The 25 man squads should be available for the 1st and reserve teams plus the option to call on the U21s to fill any gaps and to develop them.

I believe U23  is too old to be playing academy/development football. If they've not learnt the basics by then you have to wonder why we still have them being developed they should be playing proper, not contrived competitive professional football in the lower leagues here or abroad, preferably as permanent employees not loans to hone their skills, toughen them up, to learn the nuances of competitive football if they've not convinced that they are ready to be at least be on the bench of a PL team.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Foxy-Lady said:

I agree with you but then again, not everyone is using the U23s 'development' league the way LCFC are.  Clearly Chelsea are using the system in the way the way the PL intended by playing U20s to give them experience and those that are good enough are moved up or loaned out and those that are not going to make it are released to clear a pathway for more promising younger players to come through.

It was same last season when most sides LCFC U23s played against had a much lower avg age and we were rolling them over as a result....but the LCFC media portrayed the impression that we were excelling above others. AT Leicester the emphasis appears to be on results rather than development so Rudkin/Beaglehole can point to the league table and tell people what a great job they are doing  

The U23 development concept is ok in principle but when WINNING and results are seemingly put ahead of player development, the competition becomes an illusion that we are doing better than we actually are 

I'm not convinced that's what the PL had in mind if it was why is it 'sold' as U23? If it's aim is for U20s with a proviso of up to 2/3 overage players then I could understand it but it doesn't seem like that was the intention.

44 minutes ago, davieG said:

I'm not convinced that's what the PL had in mind if it was why is it 'sold' as U23? If it's aim is for U20s with a proviso of up to 2/3 overage players then I could understand it but it doesn't seem like that was the intention.

I believe one of the key the intentions of PL extending U21 league to U23 was to reduce the number of players who were being lost to the game age 21-23 as they had nowhere to play and to provide them with a "safety-net" so they could stay in the game longer. Not entirely sure the logic is perfect as you are potentially just keeping players in the game who may never make it at the expenses of others

The intention was well intended but unfortuanetly, it now merely serves to clog up the system for younger players as the number of players available for U23 selection and competton for places has now increased....thereby having the adverse counter-effect of reducing opportunities for players age 19-20 who are no longer eligible for U18s football.

Unless, of course, you take the forward thinking approach of a club like Chelsea who simply promote youngsters who are good enough to play at whatever level will "stretch" them the most and they will gain the most benefit from....hence the reason most of their best U18 players are now playing in their U23s team....and no doubt, most of their best U16 players are also playing in their U18 team as a result.    I think its called a "progressive pathway..."

(By comparison, LCFC had NONE of their 1st year pros involved in yesterdays squad...but we had 6 players with 1st team experience in the starting X1)

Edited by Foxy-Lady
  • Like 1

It's down to each individual club how they approach their "development". I suspect many of our younger players will learn far more and much quicker playing alongside Okazaki, Simpson, King and the like. Not totally convinced of the long term value of this Development League myself so if Leicester want to use it as a sort of reserve team and giving match time to squad player then I can't see the problem.

Edited by l444ry
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, l444ry said:

It's down to each individual club how they approach their "development". I suspect many of our younger players will learn far more and much quicker playing alongside the likes of Okazaki, Simpson, King and the like. Not totally convinced of the long term value of this Development League myself so if Leicester want to use it as a sort of reserve team and giving match time to squad player then I can't see the problem.

No problem at all for me and as you rightly say, clubs should be free to chose how they approach their "development" programmes.  

Im just trying to add a little perspective as I get a bit tired reading the clubs media propaganda about how well the U23s are doing when in reality, they are achieving results against much younger and less experienced opponents.

Edited by Foxy-Lady
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, l444ry said:

It's down to each individual club how they approach their "development". I suspect many of our younger players will learn far more and much quicker playing alongside the likes of Okazaki, Simpson, King and the like. Not totally convinced of the long term value of this Development League myself so if Leicester want to use it as a sort of reserve team and giving match time to squad player then I can't see the problem.

Would it be better for a smaller number of academy to players to play in a reserve league with first team professionals, or the majority getting to play alongside players like Simpson and King who seemingly have no future at the club?

I think there is space for a reserve league and U21 or at least a better balance.

I don't think comparing us to Chelsea is healthy, especially as the Chelsea model of hoovering up talented youngsters and then sending them all out on loan is not what I want to see us do. We aren't Chelsea, we don't have the prestige or finances Chelsea have and we can't attract the same calibre of youngsters. What we could be trying to do is be seen as a second chance club. Look at the rejected players we have picked up and turned into champions. If we can uncover a couple more diamonds from the reject bin then we'll be laughing. The problem with that is it needs time and we may have to pick up players at 19 and give them a chance to develop over a few years.

I agree with most on here that we don't seem to have the right balance at the moment, but it doesn't help when we keep on changing managers who have different styles and requirements and want to recruit their own players. Which is why we have a bloated squad with players signed by Pearson, Ranieri, Shakespeare still knocking about that Puel has no intent on playing.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Would it be better for a smaller number of academy to players to play in a reserve league with first team professionals, or the majority getting to play alongside players like Simpson and King who seemingly have no future at the club?

I think there is space for a reserve league and U21 or at least a better balance.

I don't think comparing us to Chelsea is healthy, especially as the Chelsea model of hoovering up talented youngsters and then sending them all out on loan is not what I want to see us do. We aren't Chelsea, we don't have the prestige or finances Chelsea have and we can't attract the same calibre of youngsters. What we could be trying to do is be seen as a second chance club. Look at the rejected players we have picked up and turned into champions. If we can uncover a couple more diamonds from the reject bin then we'll be laughing. The problem with that is it needs time and we may have to pick up players at 19 and give them a chance to develop over a few years.

I agree with most on here that we don't seem to have the right balance at the moment, but it doesn't help when we keep on changing managers who have different styles and requirements and want to recruit their own players. Which is why we have a bloated squad with players signed by Pearson, Ranieri, Shakespeare still knocking about that Puel has no intent on playing.

The Premier League wrecked reserve football. The Premier Reserve League was formed and that hit the old Central and Football Combination Leagues. Then that folded and was replaced by the so-called elite system, which has basically given us these Development Leagues. Therefore, it looks like there is no reserve league worth playing in these days unfortunately. 

We can't judge him on one U23 development game, especially when he has been away on international duty and still settling here. 

The reviews he got from Frieberg were incredible and it's still a very exciting signing now and for the future. 

I think Saturday is too early though and I would like to see more faith shown in Evans, who has proven quality at this level for over 300 games.

I don't expect it this weekend, but I truly hope Puel is working on the idea of having a back 3 of Soyuncu, Evans and Maguire.

I say this, because I read that Soyuncu said he was promised first team football here, hence his move. Obviously Maguire is always going to start and I don't believe Evans was bought simply as a 3rd choice back-up. He is too good and would not have agreed to a move with little football. Add to that, the incredible WC Maguire had in a back 3 and how it plays into his strengths but also negates his weakness of being slow, and surely that adds up to a possible switch to a 3! 

Edited by STUHILL

26 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

We can't judge him on one U23 development game, especially when he has been away on international duty and still settling here. 

The reviews he got from Frieberg were incredible and it's still a very exciting signing now and for the future. 

I think Saturday is too early though and I would like to see more faith shown in Evans, who has proven quality at this level for over 300 games.

I don't expect it this weekend, but I truly hope Puel is working on the idea of having a back 3 of Soyuncu, Evans and Maguire.

I say this, because I read that Soyuncu said he was promised first team football here, hence his move. Obviously Maguire is always going to start and I don't believe Evans was bought simply as a 3rd choice back-up. He is too good and would not have agreed to a move with little football. Add to that, the incredible WC Maguire had in a back 3 and how it plays into his strengths but also negates his weakness of being slow, and surely that adds up to a possible switch to a 3! 

Agree with your views on soyunco, but not on Evans. I'm sure he was bought as an upgrade on Wes - and then we got him here and saw him play, and went out and bought two more CBs. enough said. He's lost it and he's slow. The day you start to change formation because one of your players is shit is the day you should consider your job. If we go to a three we may as well play Amartey on the right, faster and a better CB/RB than Evans who is only going to get better while Evans can only get worse.

12 minutes ago, FIF said:

Agree with your views on soyunco, but not on Evans. I'm sure he was bought as an upgrade on Wes - and then we got him here and saw him play, and went out and bought two more CBs. enough said. He's lost it and he's slow. The day you start to change formation because one of your players is shit is the day you should consider your job. If we go to a three we may as well play Amartey on the right, faster and a better CB/RB than Evans who is only going to get better while Evans can only get worse.

Evans has played once for us in the league. He is 30, which is actually still considered in the peak age for CB's (27-32). The guy has over 300 appearances in the Premier League, 200 for Man U and a load for the very demanding Sir Alex. He won player of the season for WBA in 2 of the last 3 years. He has always been slow, as are many top CB's. This idea of requiring fast CB's to succeed, is a myth. Some of the best ever CB's were slow as a carthorse. It's much more to do with positioning and being able to read the game. Something that he must have had, to compete so long at this level and be considered captain material on numerous occasions.

He has not turned into a bad player overnight at the age of 30. Arsenal and Man City were close to signing him only last season for over £20million. He is a very capable CB at this level and I think a bit of patience with him and the right system, and he will be good for us over the next two seasons. 

To be clear though, if Puel simply switches Evans for Morgan next week and plays the same team/system, then I expect both CB's to struggle again, as they will be too exposed like we saw at Bournemouth. 

Edited by STUHILL

On 16/09/2018 at 05:31, EnderbyFox said:

Soyuncu looks a bit dodgy doesn’t he? From what I’ve seen of him in the u23s and for Turkey I think we’ve loaned the wrong CB out lol

Wow !!!

He lasted two weeks before we gave up on him !!