Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

2018/19 U23s, Development, U19s etc

10 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

How's Knight, Soyuncu (I see he was subbed off) and the rest performing?

Only half-watching it but here's all the mentions of Soyuncu from the Merc's commentary. Doesn't sound great tbf :unsure:

4 min

Early foul from Soyuncu

Soyuncu tries to bring the ball down on his chest, loses it and then fouls his man.

Benalouane flicks away the free-kick and from the follow-up, Ballard’s looped header is saved by Jakupovic.

16 min

Composed from Benalouane and Jakupovic

The senior pros’ experience comes to the fore as Benalouane stops a swift coutner-attack with a clean tackle, then Jakupovic calmly deals with a bouncing back pass from Soyuncu, evading the onrushing striker and playing the ball back to the Turkish international.

28 min

Soyuncu does enough... just

Soyuncu gives the ball away but wins it back legally despite Arsenal protests.

Dewsbury-Hall then dribbles into an Arsenal player and the Gunners are on the counter.

Olayinka feeds John-Jules with just Soyuncu for company. The City defender goes down very early and puts off John-Jules who strikes wide. Poor play from the striker, who had time to get the better of Soyuncu after he went to ground.

50 min

Up-and-under from Soyuncu

Soyuncu’s attempt to clear a cross goes horrible wrong and it goes directly upwards. Luckily, it comes to nothing.

Just before, Wright’s cutback nearly found King in the box.

70 min

Soyuncu booked

Soyuncu fouls Omole and the two square up, the City defender raising his hand to his opponent’s neck. For that, he goes in the book.

74 min

Soyuncu subbed off

Almost immediately after his yellow card, that’s the end of Soyuncu’s night.

Beaglehole brings him off for Ramsay.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, brucey said:

Soyuncu booked

Soyuncu fouls Omole and the two square up, the City defender raising his hand to his opponent’s neck. For that, he goes in the book.

get him in the first team asap 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Blanchflower78 said:

Frustrating. Should be a class above here. Hardly material to oust Morgan just yet. Puel clearly seeing it that way. 

Difficult to judge anyone in these games as in the first 11 you have better players around you.  The pace of some of these young Arsenal forwards would leave our older CB’s for dead.  He obviously has talent,  just need to get him involved soonest to build up his confidence. He came from the Bundesliga and not the Scottish  Pub League, so he will make it with us as people coming from that league normally do well over here.

Edited by mozartfox
why not
  • Like 2

Didn't understand the penalty:dunno:,or The angle was wrong...

Our older heads,should of won that game for us..Arsenal as usual slick,but we could of won it.

fluffy/Choudry is starting to give me doubts,whether he can break through as a strong covering 1st team player...

that said u23s games can hold one back,sometimes one has to take a punt,and even when their star is somewhat hanging,still

Give them another big chance,and not just from the bench...

10 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Didn't understand the penalty:dunno:

Same here, thought the ref was a bit red, why didn’t he book their diver?

2 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

Didn't understand the penalty:dunno:,or The angle was wrong...

Our older heads,should of won that game for us..Arsenal as usual slick,but we could of won it.

fluffy/Choudry is starting to give me doubts,whether he can break through as a strong covering 1st team player...

that said u23s games can hold one back,sometimes one has to take a punt,and even when their star is somewhat hanging,still

Give them another big chance,and not just from the bench...

I thought choudhry had a very good game. Agree that change is needed, first team or loan...23's football notorious for stagnating growth.

'Somewhat hanging'? Confused??

2 minutes ago, thereeldeel said:

I thought choudhry had a very good game. Agree that change is needed, first team or loan...23's football notorious for stagnating growth.

When development after 1st recognition wanes..

• Thanks 1

You can't be spending nigh on £25m on a player and leaving him in the U23's, there's not a single other club that would do that. It's moronic. He's have been better staying at Freiburg all season, I just don't get why we quickly went at got him and Benkovic. 

Morgan isn't going to be ousted any time soon, I'd not rule out him signing a new 18 month deal soon and we're not going 3 at the back so he's going to get fcuk all chances. If he's not in the team by December then loan him out, U23 football is the pits.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Foxy-Lady said:

Just to add my 'usual' feedback to allow a little perspective on this game/result before the LCFC media-spin machine kicks-in...

Avg age of LCFC starting X1    = 23.9 years old (251 PL appearances     ; 881 Senior appearances ; 77 full International caps)   

Avg age of Arsenal starting X1 = 18.2 years old (ZERO PL appearances ; ZERO Snr appearances ;  ZERO full international caps)

If you exclude the 2 GKs as Jakupovic age slightly distorts the picture, avg ages of the starting players on pitch were 22.9 Vs 17.6 accordingly

Absolutely mad.

Just to add my 'usual' feedback to allow a little perspective on this game/result before the LCFC media-spin machine kicks-in...

Avg age of LCFC starting X1    = 23.9 years old (251 PL appearances     ; 881 Senior appearances ; 77 full International caps)   

Avg age of Arsenal starting X1 = 18.2 years old (ZERO PL appearances ; ZERO Snr appearances ;  ZERO full international caps)

If you exclude the 2 GKs as Jakupovic age slightly distorts the picture, avg ages of the starting players on pitch were 22.9 Vs 17.6 accordingly

So in summary, a significantly older (+5 years!) and vastly more experienced LCFC U23 team lost to Arsenals U18 team.

I think the key message here for me would be that Arsenals younger players would have learned far more from this game than our players and the point about us being a "better team" is almost an irrelevance when measured against the relative ages and experiences of the two teams.  Fair to say that Arsenal were focussed primarily on player development last night were as we were simply focussed on winning!

(PS Arsenals U18 team containing several U16 players recently beat our U18 team 7-0. Probably the reason several of them have been elevated to the U23 team to 'stretch' their development and properly challenge them....which is surely the primary purpose of player development...???)

Yeah, barely any of our 17-19 year olds are getting a chance at U23 level. Conor Tee who has been raved about has featured once and then gone back to the U18's I think. Who gives a shit if we finish top 3 in the U23's with Benalouane, King and other has beens each game. Beaglehole seems to prioritize the league position over long term benefit.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, thereeldeel said:

Agree. I thought Hamza had a really good game and looked a class above the other players out there.

So in summary, a significantly older (+5 years!) and vastly more experienced LCFC U23 team lost to Arsenals U18 team.

I think the key message here for me would be that Arsenals younger players would have learned far more from this game than our players and the point about us being a "better team" is almost an irrelevance when measured against the relative ages and experiences of the two teams.  Fair to say that Arsenal were focussed primarily on player development last night were as we were simply focussed on winning!

(PS Arsenals U18 team containing several U16 players recently beat our U18 team 7-0. Probably the reason several of them have been elevated to the U23 team to 'stretch' their development and properly challenge them....which is surely the primary purpose of player development...???)

I understand your point and you do make the same point all the time.

Personally I think that Arsenal should use the games how they see fit. It's not an under 19s league and I'm glad of that. I wonder where all the Arsenal 20 - 23 year olds play a decent game of football when they can't get in the U23s because it's full of talented youngsters and they can't get in the first team because it's full of old pros.  I agree with playing some of our older players to help the youngsters, it would be better if we could sell Benny, Simmo and Jako but since we can't I don't mind an occasional appearance. i think it's good for the younger players to have someone like Kingy in there. 

That will help them more watching our 18 year olds play.

Arsenal sound like they have a system of superstars - shame that after 19 they all have to go somewhere else to play football and a shame (but not really) that their first team is really not any better than ours. The PRIMARY purpose of player development is to improve OUR first team or OUR bank balance. if you think it's to make every player better for any  other reason you're in the wrong sport and the wrong league. Maybe Chelsea love seeing their youth rejects suceed at other prem teams, like Manure must have loved their youth rejects suceeding with Leicester and maybe in the future Arsenal will too, but somehow I don't think that's their primary aim.

Again, personally, I like to watch and enjoy the matches and a weak 17 yo who is out of his depth would not achieve that aim. A bit like watching Benny out of his depth in the U23s.