Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

2018/19 U23s, Development, U19s etc

3 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

I know its silly, but i really feel sorry for Simpson playing in the u23's :( 

I know its the way of the modern game; but seeing him and Kingy just removed is horrible to see. I know there isn't place for sentiment in the modern game, but still. 

King one is particular hard to take, given I'd seen him play from the beginning in the reserves at the Hinckley ground when I was a kid to lifting the premier league trophy

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Simpson won’t play for the first team so the 23s is his best bet at trying to keep some sort of match fitness in the hope a championship team take a chance on him in jan 

• Like 1

There’s a player somewhere in Diabate he’s still very raw and needs time to develop.

Nduwku has it all and if he doesn’t make it here, he will only have himself to blame.

Uche won’t make in England, he doesn’t have that physical edge to his game that you need to make up for lack of size.

Really not impressed with how Beaglehole gets this side playing. They are being held back I feel with archaic coaching. 

Edited by GingerrrFox
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, GingerrrFox said:

There’s a player somewhere in Diabate he’s still very raw and needs time to develop.

Nduwku has it all and if he doesn’t make it here, he will only have himself to blame.

Uche won’t make in England, he doesn’t have that physical edge to his game that you need to make up for lack of size.

Really not impressed with how Beaglehole gets this side playing. They are being held back I feel with archaic coaching. 

.....looks like they are  playing a passing game as per Puel's request. They now seem to pass for the sake of passing and causing themselves more trouble due to not taking responsibility on the ball. When it comes off it looks great but there are times when to carry it and when to just lay it off.

Loads of chances in the closing minutes but once again releasing the ball when a delay  and committing the keeper would open every thing up for the support.

Love watching Loft, old style looking forward, just gives us a different option.

Diabate seems to be getting worse, he just needs to keep it simple, stop overdoing things and get the ball under control before he attempts to take a player on.

1 hour ago, GingerrrFox said:

Totally agree regarding Ndukwu, he is a real talent. He sometimes seems a bit lazy and I think that is the only thing that is likely to stop him becoming a top player.

13 hours ago, nwl fox said:

Diabate really has gone to shit, its quite worrying.

Only watched the end of second half but it looked like he improved, had a few nice plays, but not enough to be a first teamer. I wonder what's caused his downtown.

Hamza and Knight look like they're ahead of him. We've had Chilwell, Barnes and Hamza break out of the development squad. Darnell and Knight should be next with Ndukwu hopefully afterwards.

They did play the passing game. The problem with the passing game is when one or more players are not capable - especially midfielders, then you lose the ball a lot. Dewsbury gave it away a lot for example.

Thought the new kid (at least to me) who came on as sub at left back did particularly well. Loft was good - perhaps we can stop scapegoating the guy. Ndukwu was great but really should have scored the one at the end, it was on a plate from loft. Lamina and Hamza had good games. The keeper looks a really good signing. The CBs were solid.

Simpson didn't look out of place and was far from one of the better players. Diabaté had a poor game until nearer the end when he set up a couple of very good chances.

5 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

More applicable to our very youngest players rather than U23s, etc but an interesting idea I thought....

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2018/sep/02/biobonding-football-coaching-young-elite-players

To coach elite child footballers, size – not age – matters

Young players develop best if coached in bands picked by height, rather than age

Jamie Doward

Sun 2 Sep 2018 08.00 BST

Advocates of biobanding – used extensively in New Zealand for rugby union – claim that, by grouping players together according to their size and strength, late developers are given a greater chance to shine while players of all sizes are likely to see their game improve. The initiative, organised by the Premier League, involved players aged between 11 and 14 drawn from the academy teams of Reading, Southampton, Stoke City and Norwich City football clubs.

They played in three 11-a-side games on a full-size pitch with 25-minute halves. They then compared their experience with a normal age-group competition. Significantly, they all said the experience had been positive and recommended that the league integrate biobanding into its games programme.

Good post!

Ive been aware of bio-banding in NZ rugby for some time and if it makes sense to one of the best and most forward think ingsporting institutions in the world (in any sport!) then there is clearly some mileage in it.

One of the key reasons it was introduced in NZ rugby is due to the concerns of the authorities and parents over safety and fall out rates of the indigenous "white" population due to the growing presence of south-sea islanders in NZ whose children generally develop much earlier physically meaning that the less well developed indigenous kids could simply not compete with them on a physical level due to their sheer size at a much earlier age.  Hence the need to address the concerns over the alarming fall out rate which diminishes the player pool of a country with only 4.7m people.

Not quite the same issue in football in this country but the logic of bio-banding still applies for 'other' well documented reasons

• Like 1

19 hours ago, nwl fox said:

Diabate really has gone to shit, its quite worrying.

he was never actually that good he was just "not Gray" so people vastly overrated his cameo's he hasn't done anything of note against a side higher than league 1, he was always bought for the development squad to be fair and got chucked in

19 hours ago, Suzie the Fox said:

I'm sure he'll be happy enough collecting his wages, putting players like him and Wes on massive money was always a mistake

On 04/09/2018 at 09:22, RumbleFox said:

More applicable to our very youngest players rather than U23s, etc but an interesting idea I thought....

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2018/sep/02/biobonding-football-coaching-young-elite-players

To coach elite child footballers, size – not age – matters

Young players develop best if coached in bands picked by height, rather than age

Jamie Doward

Sun 2 Sep 2018 08.00 BST

For the anguished parent standing on the touchline, it all seems so unfair. Week after week they fret as their 12-year-old, a diminutive but naturally gifted midfield general, is harried off the ball by bigger players.

But change may be on the way. Grouping young footballers according to physical maturity, as opposed to age – a practice called biobanding – improves performance and reduces the chances of injury, according to research that will be examined by coaches in many sports.

The study, by a team at the University of Bath’s department for health and published in the Journal of Sports Sciences, is the first to explore young players’ experiences of competing in a biobanded tournament.

Advocates of biobanding – used extensively in New Zealand for rugby union – claim that, by grouping players together according to their size and strength, late developers are given a greater chance to shine while players of all sizes are likely to see their game improve. The initiative, organised by the Premier League, involved players aged between 11 and 14 drawn from the academy teams of Reading, Southampton, Stoke City and Norwich City football clubs.

They played in three 11-a-side games on a full-size pitch with 25-minute halves. They then compared their experience with a normal age-group competition. Significantly, they all said the experience had been positive and recommended that the league integrate biobanding into its games programme.

The bigger boys, who were used to dominating normal training, reported being stretched by the physical challenge of the biobanded games. They told researchers that the matches better prepared them for games involving more physically able opponents, including adult teams. Findings suggested they were encouraged to adapt their game and emphasise technique, tactics and teamwork over physicality.For smaller boys, researchers found, the biobanded tournament was less of a physical challenge, but gave them a greater chance to show their skills, exert influence in the game and take on leadership roles. They reported greater confidence and composure on the ball – something that previous studies have shown to be a key predictor of success and development in sports.

The study’s lead author, Dr Sean Cumming, said he hoped to consider biobanding for rugby, cricket, gymnastics and ballet, too. “This training and selection regime can help coaches spot hidden talent among late maturers, and can reduce injury risk,” he said. “This study reinforces the positive effects biobanding can have for players across the spectrum – both early and late maturers.

Biobanding appears to be catching on around the world. In April, the US Soccer High Performance Department announced that it would work in conjunction with a number of clubs to put on the first biobanded event in any sport in the US.

Clubs hope it will help them spot future stars among late developers. Arsenal famously rejected England captain Harry Kane when he was 11 years old, before he had developed physically.

“Every player grows at a different rate, and biobanding educates sports science practitioners, coaches, players and parents on their level of physical maturity,” said Andy O’Boyle, the Premier League’s head of elite performance. “It helps late-maturing players in their development and offers different challenges to early-maturing players. Clubs have now developed biobanding initiatives themselves and regularly organise their own fixtures and tournaments, as well as using it to aid talent identification and strength and conditioning provision.”

This is a great article. For example i know the club spent many years scouting young massive black strikers in the academy in hope for the next heskey.. but never made it.

Edited by les-tah

1 hour ago, treer said:

How come Ndukwu is not in the squad?, can we play him anyway because of his age?

https://www.lcfc.com/tv/844541/ndukwus-best-moments-in-august

Due to his age, he can play without being registered, yes. There is a talent in there for sure, wonder if he might make the bench at all as the season goes on.

1 hour ago, treer said:

How come Ndukwu is not in the squad?, can we play him anyway because of his age?

https://www.lcfc.com/tv/844541/ndukwus-best-moments-in-august

Possibly our 4th choice winger right now as Diabate seems out of favour.

Against Liverpool we had 3 defenders on the bench which is just overkill. I’d like to see one of the bench spots given to Ndukwu.