Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

2018/19 U23s, Development, U19s etc

Played well but sat back way too much after taking the lead.

Knight, Dewsbury hall and Ramsey impressed me most. Elder played well and Wright put away 1 great header and the second was good if a little fortunate.

Thought the captain had a poor game tonight.

18 hours ago, Bert said:

5 games and 6 games isn’t half a season in the championship. 

No but his loan spells were that’s all he played it’s really not that a complicated a situation to understand, neither Brentford nor Barnsley thought him good enough to play as first choice in the championship

Edited by Jimmy

49 minutes ago, Fosse93 said:

Knight is going to be some player.

He's much, much better than Darnell Johnson who I'm still unsure about.

Knight needs a loan. Only a couple months younger than Benkovic and Soyuncu is 22. Cant see him sticking around longer.

34 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

Knight needs a loan. Only a couple months younger than Benkovic and Soyuncu is 22. Cant see him sticking around longer.

I wish we could have tried him at right back a bit more. He had his first game there this season. A young right back would be great. Obviously that would mean banishing Simpson from even the u23s. Although since Hughes is still injured I guess there's a space at centre half anyway.Get him loaned out asap anyway.

You've got to feel for the likes of Knight and Johnson. The end of last season and even towards the start of pre season they must have been thinking I've got a good chance of getting somewhere near the first team then we buy two top quality young lads of a similar age. They're pretty much competing with other young lads at different academies. 

6 hours ago, Ian Nacho said:

You've got to feel for the likes of Knight and Johnson. The end of last season and even towards the start of pre season they must have been thinking I've got a good chance of getting somewhere near the first team then we buy two top quality young lads of a similar age. They're pretty much competing with other young lads at different academies. 

Not to mention Sam Hughes who was the best of the lot last year. It's very difficult to break through to the Premier League but what does make me laugh is how Puel has been built up as being this manager who develops academy players, bar Choudhury who has vanished this season he's not brought through any. 

As I've said, it's very hard to break through at a PL club but it's another myth that Puel has obtained which goes in his favour when it perhaps shouldn't. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Foxxed said:

I wish we could have tried him at right back a bit more. He had his first game there this season. A young right back would be great. Obviously that would mean banishing Simpson from even the u23s. Although since Hughes is still injured I guess there's a space at centre half anyway.Get him loaned out asap anyway.

He's not a RB, he may be able to "do a job" there but forcing him into that position is just compromising him.

6 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Not to mention Sam Hughes who was the best of the lot last year. It's very difficult to break through to the Premier League but what does make me laugh is how Puel has been built up as being this manager who develops academy players, bar Choudhury who has vanished this season he's not brought through any. 

As I've said, it's very hard to break through at a PL club but it's another myth that Puel has obtained which goes in his favour when it perhaps shouldn't. 

It’s not a myth because he hasn’t done it here yet he did it in previous jobs, we’ve rarely produced anyone from our academy for years, if the players aren’t good enough you cannot play them

• Like 1

Next season our CB options will be: Maguire, Benkovic, Soyuncu and Evans. Unless we sell one of them, there is little chance Knight, Johnson or Hughes will progress to the first team. Real shame.

But I still have hope one of them will make it (probably a fools hope).

Kind of sad we signed Benkovic and Soyuncu when we could have given one of these lads a chance.

Edited by Shane

2 minutes ago, Shane said:

Next season our CB options will be: Maguire, Benkovic, Soyuncu and Evans. Unless we sell one of them, there is little chance Knight, Johnson or Hughes will progress to the first team. Real shame.

But I still have hope one of them will make it (probably a fools hope).

Kind of sad we signed Benkovic and Soyuncu when we could have given one of these lads a chance.

Assuming Maguire will still be here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

It’s not a myth because he hasn’t done it here yet he did it in previous jobs, we’ve rarely produced anyone from our academy for years, if the players aren’t good enough you cannot play them

It is a bit of a myth. He barely played any at Southampton either. It's peddled that he was responsible for Hazard, Benzema and Henry but I think he only played Hazard a couple of times and left (admittedly he seemed willing to give him a go though aged 16/17) and both Benzema and Henry were already in the team when he was there. There's no denying he favours younger players but he's not some pioneer in young players like he's made out to be. He had many chances at the back end of last season to reward some of our better youngsters with some first team minutes but he didn't dare subject them to it given our poor run we were on. Some would say that's sensible but we were safe and our first team was under achieving, it would have at least made a statement of intent. Choudhury seemed to revel in playing, so it can't of been too damaging an environment in which to play.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Wrong Barnes came through the academy playing central

Played at Barnsley and West Brom in left midfield initially though. Players can and have change positioned before. Anyhow, since we're packed with centre halves I wouldn't mind a right back coming though.

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

It is a bit of a myth. He barely played any at Southampton either. It's peddled that he was responsible for Hazard, Benzema and Henry but I think he only played Hazard a couple of times and left (admittedly he seemed willing to give him a go though aged 16/17) and both Benzema and Henry were already in the team when he was there. There's no denying he favours younger players but he's not some pioneer in young players like he's made out to be. He had many chances at the back end of last season to reward some of our better youngsters with some first team minutes but he didn't dare subject them to it given our poor run we were on. Some would say that's sensible but we were safe and our first team was under achieving, it would have at least made a statement of intent. Choudhury seemed to revel in playing, so it can't of been too damaging an environment in which to play.

I've not followed Puel's career. But he definitely helped Chilwell here though. There's no way Chilwell was better than Fuchs for large parts of last season.

1 hour ago, Foxxed said:

I've not followed Puel's career. But he definitely helped Chilwell here though. There's no way Chilwell was better than Fuchs for large parts of last season.

Yeah he has, but he's got the reputation as being a trail blazer in plucking kids out the academy and playing them. He's not done that in England by a long stretch.