Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
hackenbacker

VAR yes or no ..... Discuss

1 minute ago, Guest said:

Might as well sack off the linesmen then. No need for another TWO interpretations, is there? 

The assistants MAIN jobs are offsides and determining when the ball is out of play, they are positionally better placed to ASSIST with those decisions, but they cannot overrule.

6 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

I appreciate you have some difficulties with holding a civilised discussion, but Ill try anyway.

as YOU say "people can view subjective situations differently." 

So you see adding a further FOUR interpretations  as a benefit.

Nah, I just don't suffer a fool. 

We're going in circles here because you can't grasp one basic thing. While the rules of the game are subjective and the referee has to make a decision, VAR merely gives the referee the chance to see the incident again from a better angle.

1 minute ago, ozleicester said:

The assistants MAIN jobs are offsides and determining when the ball is out of play, they are positionally better placed to ASSIST with those decisions, but they cannot overrule.

Just as well VAR can't overrule the ref as well then. They offer him a second look, not just "you're wrong, we're giving this instead". Please learn what VAR is before you continue with your absurd complaints

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

The VAR officials are also better placed to assist with the decisions because they have multiple angles and views of the incident compared to the ref's one, and they also cannot overrule.

You've quite obviously decided very early you don't like VAR and don't know/care how it's implemented. If you don't want to understand it, I can't make you, but don't have the cheek of belittling others when the basics of it are clearly way over your head

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

exactly my point.. the referee knows better... they WILL make mistakes, so will VAR. Why bother with VAR?

I think you're missing the point personally.

How can VAR itself make mistakes? It's technology which is designed to give a referee the best chance to make the correct decision. 

Where VAR is used, it's still the referee who ends up making the final decision not the panel who tell him to view replays.

1 minute ago, The Doctor said:

Nah, I just don't suffer a fool. 

We're going in circles here because you can't grasp one basic thing. While the rules of the game are subjective and the referee has to make a decision, VAR merely gives the referee the chance to see the incident again from a better angle.

you must drive yourself nuts

The decisions remain subjective, the referee has already made a decision, VAR merely makes the referee question himself and wastes time. 

Just now, ozleicester said:

The decisions remain subjective, the referee has already made a decision, VAR merely makes the referee question himself and wastes time. 

No it doesn't :frusty:. It allows the referee to resee an incident. That was a perfect example, he saw it again and saw Neymar dived.

1 minute ago, martyn said:

I think you're missing the point personally.

How can VAR itself make mistakes? It's technology which is designed to give a referee the best chance to make the correct decision. 

Where VAR is used, it's still the referee who ends up making the final decision not the panel who tell him to view replays.

was last nights penalty given to the Aussies correct?... No, it was not.... and the VAR changed the referees decision

What happened at the restart after the penalty was overturned? Was it a Costa Rica free kick for a dive (and therefore would've been a yellow) or a drop ball? Interested to know how refs are supposed to restart after that

1 minute ago, ozleicester said:

was last nights penalty given to the Aussies correct?... No, it was not.... and the VAR changed the referees decision

Not up to me to decide, and irrelevant, especially because as you said, the ref knows best.

The ref changed his mind on seeing a replay. The referee changed the referees decision, not VAR.

Interestingly, the Danish former top referee Claus Bo Larsen as well as Denmark's coach Åge Hareide both think that the penalty was the right call, suggesting that the arm was in an 'unnatural position'. Suggests to me that the rules are too unclear then.

Most of the Danish players were not upset about that penalty being given, but more about the inconsitencies of which situations VARs are flagging, e.g. When Cornelius was pulled to the ground in the penalty area midway through the second half. Clear infringement and very deliberate, with multiple angles showing it, yet there was no review there.

1 minute ago, shen said:

Interestingly, the Danish former top referee Claus Bo Larsen as well as Denmark's coach Åge Hareide both think that the penalty was the right call, suggesting that the arm was in an 'unnatural position'. Suggests to me that the rules are too unclear then.

Most of the Danish players were not upset about that penalty being given, but more about the inconsitencies of which situations VARs are flagging, e.g. When Cornelius was pulled to the ground in the penalty area midway through the second half. Clear infringement and very deliberate, with multiple angles showing it, yet there was no review there.

:) hmm amazing really isnt it, the more opinions you get... the more variations,

If only we had one single person who's job it was to make the decision and the players and fans etc just had to accept it.

7 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

:) hmm amazing really isnt it, the more opinions you get... the more variations,

If only we had one single person who's job it was to make the decision and the players and fans etc just had to accept it.

Erm, we do?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

How does it waste time when it results in a wrong decision being corrected as it has done every single time bar one This tournament. 

Edited by Manwell Pablo

So I think it will work but refs need to be strong like the fella was in taking away the Neymar penalty which he’d given moments before and not like the Ref yesterday who gave the decision following watching a three second replay and in my assessment being influenced by the decision to review from the VAR team.

The irony is that in trying to take away the human error of refs and an attempt to introduce technology, the technology is only as good as the referees who review it, in terms of the speed of their decision making, the selection of incidents to review and their interpretation of the rules of the game.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ozleicester said:

Except that rules as written it was correct. I didn't agree that it was a foul, but maybe that's down to my erroneous understanding of the handball rule.

2 minutes ago, shen said:

Except that rules as written it was correct. I didn't agree that it was a foul, but maybe that's down to my erroneous understanding of the handball rule.

This. The argument against it is purely on the vagueries of unnatural position. Not as if it's an obviously wrong decision (although as I had Denmark 1-0 in my work prediction league and Kasper in my FF team, it was obviously wrong :whistle:)

• Haha 1

Just get a tennis style challenge system in place and do away with all this "will they won't they" crap hanging over VAR.  The confusion over what individual refs decide constitutes a VAR-worthy event is the one thing holding the system back as it stands:  3 challenges per team; challenges can only be made once the ball goes out of play for the first time after the event in question; if the challenge is upheld the team get to retain it; the maximum number of remaining challenges a team can have is reduced by 1 at the 60 and 80 minute marks to prevent teams making spurious challenges to disrupt the flow of the game in tightly contested matches; teams are not allowed to make a challenge against themselves ie. if they foul in the buildup to a goal against them they can't use a challenge to take the play back and undo the goal.

A few caveats there but it's simple enough, surely?