Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 2

2 hours ago, whoareyaaa said:

Maguire is just an average defender, the media circus hasn't helped him one bit.

Maguire is an above average defender but was popular amongst Engalnd fans as part of that squad at the world cup and had a funny chant. The media jumped on this and created the hype. Not one single United fan believed us when we said he was decent enough but we were happy with the transfer fee, it was just passed off as sour grapes. 

He's still a decent enough defender who can and would flourish under a better set up but the price tag, captains armband and the fact that United fans have the collective football intelligence of Peter Taylor are painting a very bad picture of him. The media seemingly refuse to back down on their stance as it was them who put him on the pedestal but he's no better or worse than he was for us, he's still making  the same mistakes but is still solid enough, just not good enough, and never will be, for an £80million price tag. 

If United don't improve over the next couple of years then unfortunately for him it's career suicide, no way he'll get another transfer not, not to any team of note anyway, and he'll be stuck there and will ultimately be remembered as a bit of a flop 

• Like 4

Feels like a bit of revisionism here, from them and from us.

The role of centre-back, probably more than any other position on the pitch, relies on partnerships. Maguire is a decent reader of the game, an excellent header of the ball and a good passer. He isn’t fast, and his nouse isn’t quite good enough to make up for that. Soyuncu is much quicker, is exceptionally good at recovery tackles, but he makes more mistakes (see Pukki absolutely rinsing him over and over before Christmas).

Alongside the cultured and clever Evans, and behind the outstanding Ndidi, both players are excellent CBs. Alongside a makeshift cast of Man United’s current squad, both would be regularly exposed-it’s the nature of the job and their style of play. 

If Utd sign a decent partner for him, and play a midfield with some structure, he’ll look great again, and his maverick tendencies will be more strength than weakness. If they don’t, he’ll fester until he moves somewhere that does...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HighPeakFox said:

It's only because he's English that he got all the attention - we got him in and out in time.

I was a bit worried that we wouldn't get as much as we could if we had sold in 2018, glad we held out to rinse then still 

2 hours ago, MPH said:

Well if we are talking about players who more than did a job for us over the last ten years then there should be twenty or so players on that list..

Knoccky became a Terraces favourite....Maybe just Not an MPH one..:P

16 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Knoccky became a Terraces favourite....Maybe just Not an MPH one..:P

oh i loved  him and thought he was great for us. in the championship. all the others have proved their worth in the prem and overwhelmingly so.

Edited by MPH

7 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Have you ever heard of Nigel Pearson? 

Don’t really understand what maguire has to do with the thread ?   The odd post on twitter saying we had yanited’s pants down is predictable .........it simply derails what was usually a good read ..... if posters want to laugh at yanited re maguire then surely we can have a thread dedicated to that ? 

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

Don’t really understand what maguire has to do with the thread ?   The odd post on twitter saying we had yanited’s pants down is predictable .........it simply derails what was usually a good read ..... if posters want to laugh at yanited re maguire then surely we can have a thread dedicated to that ? 

I think you've entirely missed my point. 

4 hours ago, MPH said:

oh i loved  him and thought he was great for us. in the championship. all the others have proved their worth in the prem and overwhelmingly so.

But wasnt it that surge from the Championship that brought us into our New epoc...  from Acorns....and all that..!!

8 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

But wasnt it that surge from the Championship that brought us into our New epoc...  from Acorns....and all that..!!

you’ll have to go back to the original post i quoted- where he put him down as a gem alongside some top players like mahrez, kante and maddison... there’s no denying he did well for us in the champ  and he endeared himself to many but a gem holds its value. where is he how? and where are the others mentioned?

Edited by MPH

Just now, MPH said:

you’ll have to go back to the original post i quoted- where he put him as. gem alongside some top players like mahrez, kante and maddison... there’s no denying he did well for us in the champ  and he endeared himself to many but a gem holds its value. where is he how? and where are the others mentioned?

Ok ..its New year...:)

18 hours ago, Jacnah said:

well said. Not sure why some have the knives out for Harry. He did a great job for us, acted with integrity and put a lot of money in the coffers. I wish him all the very best. Equally I hope Man United continue to be abysmal, which is a conudrum for me but there you go

Absolutely. This constant sniping makes us look a bit needy and small minded. His time here was good for him and us. And let's face it, we've hardly suffered as a result of his leaving.

If we want to be thought of as a big club - top 4 finishes, bigger stadium etc - I think a more generous attitude to ex-players might be appropriate. After all, they're part of the story.

• Like 3

On 02/01/2020 at 11:55, surrifox said:

I still love the quip that the club trousered £80 million quid and improved the defence by selling him! 

It may be a quip but it's also true.

20 hours ago, st albans fox said:

polite request -  maguire has been gone for over 4 months now ……. can we move on ?   its soooooo boring 

It's like people who keep slagging off my mate Claude, wish they'd give it a damn rest

• Haha 1