Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 2

2 minutes ago, Dorkingfox said:

It is strange how some people support a team. My two boys and daughter we born in Surrey and only ever lived in Dorking where I moved to in the mid 80's. I took them to see Chelsea and Palace, offered to get them season ticket for a local team, they went to a few matches but always wanted to support Leicester City and the Tigers, I did warn them it would be a very frustrating thing to do, but they have stuck with it and glad they did. Dylan, my youngest boy is now at Uni in Leicester, loving it and going to as many matches as possible.

My Brother was similar he like me was born in London became a LCFC fan moved to Zambia with two very young boys and they've never lived in Leicester since, brother and one of his son's live in the South East and the other lives in the Philippines all three are ardent LCFC fans but rarely get to see them live. 

If they were 'big' team supporters they'd be called glory boys :teehee:

16 minutes ago, Dorkingfox said:

It is strange how some people support a team. My two boys and daughter we born in Surrey and only ever lived in Dorking where I moved to in the mid 80's. I took them to see Chelsea and Palace, offered to get them season ticket for a local team, they went to a few matches but always wanted to support Leicester City and the Tigers, I did warn them it would be a very frustrating thing to do, but they have stuck with it and glad they did. Dylan, my youngest boy is now at Uni in Leicester, loving it and going to as many matches as possible.

Said it on here loads,and not wanting to sound boring,but my reason for supporting Leicester as a kid in 80s was different.

First glittery club badge in my Panini sticker book.Thats it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davieG said:

Well I must be different then because I was born in Chelsea and moved to Leicester when I was 7 didn't start watching football until I was 15ish used to go to some LCFC games but also went to a few Chelsea ones when visiting family.

Both teams had excellent players and I enjoyed watching both but then this was when fans occasionally used to applaud really good play by the opposition as I recall.

But a decision had to be made when the 2 teams met in the League Cup Final and I chose LCFC and never looked back and never regretted it.

Yeah - well circumstances obviously differ from person to person. Coming from inner-city Leicester (in those days anyway) meant there was never any other option. It wasn't anything to do with choice. 

Why that changed - and to what extent - is an interesting sociological question. Who knows?

They were very different times, that's for sure, though I'm not sure I remember it as a more sporting or balanced era as you imply. As I remember it was just as fiercely tribal and one-eyed as it is now. In fact, considerably more so. Filbert Street in the 60s saw a vastly more hostile crowd than the blue rinse brigade at the KP these days.

Though I recall the whole ground at White Hart Lane once, Leicester fans included, reacting with stunned appreciation after Jimmy Greaves scored what - to this day - remains the greatest goal I've ever seen. That can still happen though - think Ronaldo in the Champions League.

The past may is a foreign country (I've heard it said), and as such the differences are what make it interesting.

Edited by Stoopid
  • Like 1

Guest Markyblue

Don't live in Leicester now but brought up on the braunstone and unlike some parts of the city you supported city without a second thought. 

38 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

Yeah - well circumstances obviously differ from person to person. Coming from inner-city Leicester (in those days anyway) meant there was never any other option. It wasn't anything to do with choice. 

Why that changed - and to what extent - is an interesting sociological question. Who knows?

They were very different times, that's for sure, though I'm not sure I remember it as a more sporting or balanced era as you imply. As I remember it was just as fiercely tribal and one-eyed as it is now. In fact, considerably more so. Filbert Street in the 60s saw a vastly more hostile crowd than the blue rinse brigade at the KP these days.

Though I recall the whole ground at White Hart Lane once, Leicester fans included, reacting with stunned appreciation after Jimmy Greaves scored what - to this day - remains the greatest goal I've ever seen. That can still happen though - think Ronaldo in the Champions League.

The past may is a foreign country (I've heard it said), and as such the differences are what make it interesting.

Oh it was still tribal but much more 'gentlemanly' tribal as i recall certainly not the venom and hatred that arose during the 70s+ the sporting aspect was not an everyday occurrence but it did happen. I was at WHL when Greaves scored direct from a corner and was roundly applauded momentarily and then the singing began.

I just remember the tribal aspect being more to do with supporting your own team rather than directed at the opposition fans, something I still don't understand.

2 hours ago, davieG said:

No doubt but not always, people should be more wary with their judgement these days.

No one is being judged, it is just strange that you do not support the club where born. I know there are many reason why people may choose a different team, but then you do not get the your team so often. To choose a team because they and top is a bit shallow.

53 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

Yes, I was an inner-city inhabitant, born in the Royal between the football and rugby ground so no choice. Filbert Street could be a rough old place in the 60's and 70's, full of passion, but as a spectator I think I prefer the KP now, but as a young supporter with you mates, standing at FS took some beating. I think if you choose another team where you were not born seems an odd one to me, but everyone to their own. The thrill of 2015/16 Prem win was really mind blowing, unless you were a spuds fan.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

I am afraid that the weird obsession with how bad the people and fans of Liverpool are is pretty distasteful. 

It’s not the people of Liverpool for me, it’s the lfc fans from Leicester, Surrey, Devon, Ireland etc 

7 minutes ago, OadbyBlue said:

It’s not the people of Liverpool for me, it’s the lfc fans from Leicester, Surrey, Devon, Ireland etc 

Yeah sums it up for me too. I know a lot of scousers and they’re all sound, know their footy too - few spiteful scallys but no different to some wrongens you meet in Leicester or any other part of the country. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, OadbyBlue said:

I can understand Devon and Ireland to an extent. I can’t understand cities and towns where there are existing football clubs with hundreds of years history 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, davieG said:

Oh it was still tribal but much more 'gentlemanly' tribal as i recall certainly not the venom and hatred that arose during the 70s+ the sporting aspect was not an everyday occurrence but it did happen. I was at WHL when Greaves scored direct from a corner and was roundly applauded momentarily and then the singing began.

I just remember the tribal aspect being more to do with supporting your own team rather than directed at the opposition fans, something I still don't understand.

Well, memory tends to be selective I guess and we perhaps remember things that suit whatever narrative we've constructed around our lives. There's a definite human tendency to see the past as a better place than actually it was.

As for tribalism being more 'gentlemanly' back then I'm not so sure. The skinhead phenomenon started in the 60s and had precious few adherents who could be described as gentlemen.

And I remember a game against Forest at Filbert Street in about 67 or 68 - no later, certainly - where there was what can only be described as a bloody battle throughout the afternoon. No segregation to speak of, and fights - real fights - all over the shop. Fans constantly spilling out onto the pitch as first City, then Forest, then City again fought for control of the Kop. Fights were even breaking out in the Main Stand and basically everywhere you looked.

Can't be arsed to look it up. Not even sure where you would, but there were well over a hundred arrests, and a fair few - eleven from memory - got banned for life.

Forest was the worst, but I recall pretty vicious tear-ups from that time against Man Utd and Everton too. Especially Everton.

Custom and habit may change over the course of a few decades, but human nature remains essentially the same. People then were certainly no kinder or given to fair-play than they are now. It's just that life was much less regulated then, and probably less was made of it. Growing up in Leicester in the 60s I actually remember society in general as more violent than it is now. Certainly from a street-fighting point of view. It's just that people didn't see it as anything particularly noteworthy. It just happened.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

Well, memory tends to be selective I guess and we perhaps remember things that suit whatever narrative we've constructed around our lives. There's a definite human tendency to see the past as a better place than actually it was.

As for tribalism being more 'gentlemanly' back then I'm not so sure. The skinhead phenomenon started in the 60s and had precious few adherents who could be described as gentlemen.

And I remember a game against Forest at Filbert Street in about 67 or 68 - no later, certainly - where there was what can only be described as a bloody battle throughout the afternoon. No segregation to speak of, and fights - real fights - all over the shop. Fans constantly spilling out onto the pitch as first City, then Forest, then City again fought for control of the Kop. Fights were even breaking out in the Main Stand and basically everywhere you looked.

Can't be arsed to look it up. Not even sure where you would, but there were well over a hundred arrests, and a fair few - eleven from memory - got banned for life.

Forest was the worst, but I recall pretty vicious tear-ups from that time against Man Utd and Everton too. Especially Everton.

Custom and habit may change over the course of a few decades, but human nature remains essentially the same. People then were certainly no kinder or given to fair-play than they are now. It's just that life was much less regulated then, and probably less was made of it. Growing up in Leicester in the 60s I actually remember society in general as more violent than it is now. Certainly from a street-fighting point of view. It's just that people didn't see it as anything particularly noteworthy. It just happened.

I guess I'm talking early 60s late 60s yes it was the start of the hooligan era that was full blown in the 70s. Early 60s as i recall there wasn't even segregation. I stood in the Popular side alongside away fans including Liverpool and Glasgow Rangers, mind you that Ranger's game was scary. 

12 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I can understand Devon and Ireland to an extent. I can’t understand cities and towns where there are existing football clubs with hundreds of years history 

So what about Cardiff...? :ph34r:

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, davieG said:

I guess I'm talking early 60s late 60s yes it was the start of the hooligan era that was full blown in the 70s. Early 60s as i recall there wasn't even segregation. I stood in the Popular side alongside away fans including Liverpool and Glasgow Rangers, mind you that Ranger's game was scary. 

You got that right. I was there for the Rangers match and got pinged on the nut by a coin thrown by one of their lot who were in the Pop Side from memory.

Didn't half bleeding sting, felt it for weeks.

They were a bunch of drunken, rowdy gits. Nice silk scarves though (which I hadn't seen before).

3 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

yeah there’s a decent amount of liverpool fans i know in leeds. from leeds. seems absolutely made when you consider most were born late 80s or early 90s so would’ve been fully involved in footy when leeds were actually better than liverpool at the end of the last century. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

yeah there’s a decent amount of liverpool fans i know in leeds. from leeds. seems absolutely made when you consider most were born late 80s or early 90s so would’ve been fully involved in footy when leeds were actually better than liverpool at the end of the last century. 

This. I love Leeds and I'm desperate for them to come up but I've seen a few on here envious of them and Newcastle for being one club cities when it isn't the case. Leeds is full of folk that don't support them, partly because non native students settle there on account of it being the best city in the UK, others glory supporters that have grown up with Leeds being a bit shit. On a pro rata basis they should be filling Elland Road out every week regardless, it doesn't happen.