Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 2

On 03/01/2020 at 18:00, Fox92 said:

Trouble is with Maguire, and paying that sort of money for any player, you expect a great great player..... he isn't that and never will be. Van Dijk cost Liverpool £75m but he is class and without him Liverpool struggle, he's the type of player that makes the other centre back look decent. I think Carragher described him as a "big brother" type which is correct. I saw it in Huth and I see it in Evans here.

I think Man Utd fans thought they were getting their Van Dijk, or their new Vidic/Ferdinand/Stam but Maguire isn't on their level. They still need an actual World Class centre back, which we've come to learn that they always have (I mentioned the likes of Vidic and Stam there).

Man Utd obviously don’t scout players properly then. Surely if you’re gonna hand over 80 million quid, you’d do a bit of research to see if the player is any good and fits your needs. Their scouts only needed to read a few posts on here to realise he wasn’t exactly a speedboat when it came to turning. It’s like they look at the price and say he must be good if that’s how much money they want...and that’s it!

I think Maguire will look snd play better in a better team. If we still had Maguire we would still be second in the table snd he would get plaudits (with Evans) on our excellent defence.

5 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Maguire is a big part of that high line problem tho, nothing to do with him being a bad footballer he just doesn’t have the natural pace to play it. We couldn’t do it very well with him and got caught out time after time, Soyuncu comes in and there’s no problem. Little coincidence there

Correct hence we told most Man U fans the case. As Ealing says Man U employ the worst manager in the league and as soon as he’s off, Maguire will have a manager who make him look far better. 

In fact Mourinho would have been perfect fit 

38 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Maguire is a big part of that high line problem tho, nothing to do with him being a bad footballer he just doesn’t have the natural pace to play it. We couldn’t do it very well with him and got caught out time after time, Soyuncu comes in and there’s no problem. Little coincidence there

Helps that Brendan has got our midfield on point and in particular our midfield press. It’s our effective closing down on the opposition defenders and midfielders that allows us to play a high line. If we didn’t press properly, even soyuncu would get bypassed by through balls.

Evans is slow but you never see him caught (or very rarely at least). Maguire’s reaction times are slow which is exacerbated by his lack of pace. Maguire is a top half standard centreback with some extreme strengths and extreme weaknesses; he’s not good enough to completely alter a system around to play to his strengths either. £80m lol!

• Like 4

Maguire has the reaction time of a three toed sloth and the turning circle of an oil tanker. He's a good centre half, because he's a unit who's reasonably good with his feet. Pull him out of position though and it's easy to play round him.

The trouble he has currently is, as already pointed out, Utd are playing too high which leaves him exposed, particularly as his midfield offer so little protection. 

He would look far better for us this year in our current setup but I would think we're all glad that we didn't get to witness it with the emergence of Soyuncu. Also because I genuinely believe he would slow us down. 

On 05/01/2020 at 13:11, Koke said:

I think Maguire will look snd play better in a better team. If we still had Maguire we would still be second in the table snd he would get plaudits (with Evans) on our excellent defence.

Fair point, but I can think of a number of times Soyuncu pace has got us out of trouble.

I think Soyuncu and Evans, covers more bases then Evans and Maguire

However I'd would have like to see them in a 3! 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Sianist said:

For a few years Liverpool brought their best players again and again

21 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Lambert

Lallana

Mane

Van Dijk

Clyne 

Lovren 

Have I missed anyone??

Aaaahhh, I was trying to think of a Liverpool pasting at Anfield for them...