Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 2

6 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

Given the way Wolves were mugged off yesterday (and the Sane penalty debacle when we lost up their) Livarpool are in danger of losing a large slice of credibility when they lift the Title later in the season. They have had extraordinary 'help' from VAR thus far.

Not their fault though is it!!!!

13 hours ago, TRAD-DAD said:

I get a certain satisfaction of knowing that when the floodlights go out and the Liverpool fans trudge home they are hit with the realisation that they still have to live in Liverpool. No wonder  that football is the centre of their lives. imagine having to live in that cesspit with nothing else to live for?

Unfortunately a large proportion of them live in the delightful county of Leicestershire!!

• Haha 1

Just now, Hammo said:

Unfortunately a large proportion of them live in the delightful county of Leicestershire!!

I was always amazed at how many people supported Liverpool when at school in the 60's and 70's, why, did they never want to go to a match. Armchair supporters I suppose, like the Man U , Spurs and other none local teams, was their loss not mine, for a bit of false glory.

28 minutes ago, Hammo said:

Whether I’m being hypocritical here,I don’t know.

For someone who has supported Leicester for well over 30 years with absolutely no connections to the City,I find it strange that people from a big City,with a big football side support anyone other than Leicester.

Growing up in 70s in my neck of the woods it was mainly Man Utd,Liverpool and Leeds.This I sort of get because of the geography and lack of big teams about.

Probably winds you Leicester folk up more because of this factor.

Something on FB wound me right up after our Boxing Day defeat.Few Liverpool,but Leicester based fans who were obviously mates giving it”surrounded by Leicester glory boys,there stadium was half empty the season after they won it”

We unfortunately have a lot of Arsenal and Spurs fans about aswell as Norwich and Ipswich ,people do not bat an eye.They used to look at me as if I was some kind of idiot supporting Leicester.Mileage is about the same from door to door to Leicester and the latter 4.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cambridgefox said:

For someone who has supported Leicester for well over 30 years with absolutely no connections to the City,I find it strange that people from a big City,with a big football side support anyone other than Leicester.

Growing up in 70s in my neck of the woods it was mainly Man Utd,Liverpool and Leeds.This I sort of get because of the geography and lack of big teams about.

Something on FB wound me right up after our Boxing Day defeat.Few Liverpool,but Leicester based fans who were obviously mates giving it”surrounded by Leicester glory boys,there stadium was half empty the season after they won it”

We unfortunately have a lot of Arsenal and Spurs fans about aswell as Norwich and Ipswich ,people do not bat an eye.They used to look at me as if I was some kind of idiot supporting Leicester.Mileage is about the same from door to door to Leicester and the latter 4.

Many posh/Cambridge fans about? Or is it the usual “I’m a red through and through but always want (posh/Cambs) them to do well”, which really means I have no interest in them at all I’m just saying this to save face. 

12 minutes ago, cambridgefox said:

I'd be surprised if there wasn't some kind of study on it. 

Those people over the years that I've found in Leicester who 'follow' (and that's all it usually is...rarely, if ever,  do they attend games) a big team tend to have a rather one or more of a bullish, overbearing, bullying and/or self obsessed personality. Following a big club merely suits their identity to have last laughs and bragging rights over thier friends, family and colleagues.

Then there's the Oadby Asians who obsessively follow Liverpool, Messi and Ronaldo (!), who I'd guess culturally like to back winners, have nice cars etc etc....plus add to that the entirely hostile atmosphere of the 1980s when  non whites simply weren't welcome at stadiums....it was easier and safer to follow a team from afar. 

• Like 1

There may have been more local glory hunters back in the 70s but these days there are plenty of people that do not live in the city where they were born, my Son-in-law is a born and bread Liverpudlian and lives in Oxfordshire and his 2 kids are both, I'd say quite naturally Liverpool fans :cry: but then I was born down the road from Stamford Bridge but have been an LCFC fan since I first started watching football.

Things aren't always what they seem.

3 minutes ago, davieG said:

There may have been more local glory hunters back in the 70s but these days there are plenty of people that do not live in the city where they were born, my Son-in-law is a born and bread Liverpudlian and lives in Oxfordshire and his 2 kids are both, I'd say quite naturally Liverpool fans :cry: but then I was born down the road from Stamford Bridge but have been an LCFC fan since I first started watching football.

Things aren't always what they seem.

That is true, but many were glory hunters and that is still true of many of the richer club supporters.

30 minutes ago, Dorkingfox said:

I was always amazed at how many people supported Liverpool when at school in the 60's and 70's, why, did they never want to go to a match. Armchair supporters I suppose, like the Man U , Spurs and other none local teams, was their loss not mine, for a bit of false glory.

Maybe it depends where you were brought up, but when I started following the game in the early 60s, supporting anyone but the team of the city you lived in just didn't really exist. I lived in Highfields, and just anout every kid I knew who liked football was a Leicester fan.

It would have seemed weird and frankly ridiculous if they hadn't .

It wasn't a question of choice.

Football was (and still is in my book) about place.

I got kids who lived in the further reaches of the county feeling the geographical pull of neighbouring places, but apart from one (Irish) lad who followed Celtic and a kid who liked Everton because his dad had played for them - everyone I knew supported Leicester.

Not sure when that changed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dorkingfox said:

That is true, but many were glory hunters and that is still true of many of the richer club supporters.

No doubt but not always, people should be more wary with their judgement these days.

• Like 1

Premier League New Year's Day predictions: Lawro v BGT comedian and Liverpool fan Kojo Anim - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50856023

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and if Lawro thinks we'll lose fair enough. But everytime he predicts we'll lose it's the same thing. He lavishes us with praise, really talks us up, and then without explanation, predicts a lose.

3 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

Maybe it depends where you were brought up, but when I started following the game in the early 60s, supporting anyone but the team of the city you lived in just didn't really exist. I lived in Highfields, and just anout every kid I knew who liked football was a Leicester fan.

It would have seemed weird and frankly ridiculous if they hadn't .

It wasn't a question of choice.

Football was (and still is in my book) about place.

I got kids who lived in the further reaches of the county feeling the geographical pull of neighbouring places, but apart from one (Irish) lad who followed Celtic and a kid who liked Everton because his dad had played for them - everyone I knew supported Leicester.

Not sure when that changed.

Well I must be different then because I was born in Chelsea and moved to Leicester when I was 7 didn't start watching football until I was 15ish used to go to some LCFC games but also went to a few Chelsea ones when visiting family.

Both teams had excellent players and I enjoyed watching both but then this was when fans occasionally used to applaud really good play by the opposition as I recall.

But a decision had to be made when the 2 teams met in the League Cup Final and I chose LCFC and never looked back and never regretted it.

29 minutes ago, Manini said:

Many posh/Cambridge fans about? Or is it the usual “I’m a red through and through but always want (posh/Cambs) them to do well”, which really means I have no interest in them at all I’m just saying this to save face. 

Got a few mates who are STH at both Posh and Cambridge that don’t support anyone else.Probably more Pish than Cambridge.

My mate who is coming tonight has 3 kids all STH at ive always brainwashed the younger one about Leicester.Much to his dads disgust he asked Santa for a Leicester kit.Santa delivered 😂

• Haha 2

Just now, davieG said:

Well I must be different then because I was born in Chelsea and moved to Leicester when I was 7 didn't start watching football until I was 15ish used to go to some LCFC games but also went to a few Chelsea ones when visiting family.

Both teams had excellent players and I enjoyed watching both but then this was when fans occasionally used to applaud really good play by the opposition as I recall.

But a decision had to be made when the 2 teams met in the League Cup Final and I chose LCFC and never looked back and never regretted it.

It is strange how some people support a team. My two boys and daughter we born in Surrey and only ever lived in Dorking where I moved to in the mid 80's. I took them to see Chelsea and Palace, offered to get them season ticket for a local team, they went to a few matches but always wanted to support Leicester City and the Tigers, I did warn them it would be a very frustrating thing to do, but they have stuck with it and glad they did. Dylan, my youngest boy is now at Uni in Leicester, loving it and going to as many matches as possible.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, cambridgefox said:

Got a few mates who are STH at both Posh and Cambridge that don’t support anyone else.Probably more Pish than Cambridge.

My mate who is coming tonight has 3 kids all STH at ive always brainwashed the younger one about Leicester.Much to his dads disgust he asked Santa for a Leicester kit.Santa delivered 😂

Good work!