Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 2

7 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

https://www.statbunker.com/alltimestats/AllTimeLeagueTable?comp_code=EPL

I've posted this before but it does give a pretty good indication of club success in the modern (Premier League) era and therefore adds weight to the big/small club debate. 

The games played provides and interesting result where we are 16th soon to be 15th but well behind Villa, Newcastle, Middlesbrough and Sunderland. Gives a clue as to why the are considered bigger by many.

4 minutes ago, Corky said:

https://www.myfootballfacts.com/premier-league/all-time-premier-league/all-time-premier-league-table/

This is the most up to date one. We are 15th, two points behind Middlesbrough and 30 behind Leeds. Everyone else is too far ahead.

One of these tables is wrong. Middlesboro are given 3 points more in this one. 

1 minute ago, Spudulike said:

One of these tables is wrong. Middlesboro are given 3 points more in this one. 

They did have 3 points deducted in 1996/97 for postponing a game so their confirmed total and their actual total are slightly different.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

This is what I read, it is not right obviously, but I think its better  :thumbup:

Seriously though, you need this type of thinking in order to grow clubs, and did he outline where the uplift has come geographically?

It's mostly because of Jimenez who is Mexico's biggest star right now. His social media following is more than all of the rest of the team put together. We even created a Spanish speaking side to the club's social media outlets and website just for him. 

“Our fanbase has gone through a 400 per cent growth over the course of the last 18 months,” says Jones, who cites Jiménez as one of the biggest contributors.

“He's opened up the Mexican market to us, we've done an awful lot of campaigns in Mexico. We now have five times more followers in Mexico than we do in the UK.”

I'd imagine over here in the UK and China are the biggest upturn after Mexico. 

We're taking eSports seriously in a massive way to build global branding as well, in terms of our own team of players for FIFA tournaments, virtual racing and other popular games. 

• Thanks 1

Speaking from Ireland we still have no real brand awareness. Although the ties are that bit stronger with Northern Ireland since 1992.

If you visit Lifestyle Sports in Cork City you will find a shirt belonging to a so called top 6 club without any bother. Even Aston Villa, West Ham, Newcastle, Everton shirts are on sale. If Leeds return they will be a big seller too next season. Leicester though is still absent from the shelves.

Even now 4 years on from the title no one wants to get caught out supporting a flash in the pan. A lot latched onto Blackburn only for it to go sour not long after. Forest had a large following from the 80s/90s but that has long since faded out. 

WIthout close links a club like ours will always find it difficult even with our current profile.Leicester doesn't have the appeal of a place like London, Liverpool, Manchester, Birmingham even. All the above have airports for ease of access as well as good clubs/pubs to visit. Leicester just lacks some of the other places attractions and ease of access.

4 minutes ago, The Bear said:

It's mostly because of Jimenez who is Mexico's biggest star right now. His social media following is more than all of the rest of the team put together. We even created a Spanish speaking side to the club's social media outlets and website just for him. 

“Our fanbase has gone through a 400 per cent growth over the course of the last 18 months,” says Jones, who cites Jiménez as one of the biggest contributors.

“He's opened up the Mexican market to us, we've done an awful lot of campaigns in Mexico. We now have five times more followers in Mexico than we do in the UK.”

We're taking eSports seriously in a massive way to build global branding as well, in terms of our own team of players for FIFA tournaments, virtual racing and other popular games. 

What do we win? 😀

Screenshot_20200626-200549.png

Screenshot_20200626-200607.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Don't dispute it makes money - I completely get games as a fun form of escapism, and fair play to anyone managing to make a living from it - but the thought of *watching* someone play games categorically sounds like the dullest thing in the world, personally.

Try watching a top level counter strike tournament, the production levels are top tier and commentary is as professional as any televised sport. The teams are very well paid professionals who dedicate their lives to it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Bear said:

1.5 MILLION TWITTER FOLLOWERS, YOU'LL NEVER SING THAT 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, z-layrex said:

Try watching a top level counter strike tournament, the production levels are top tier and commentary is as professional as any televised sport. The teams are very well paid professionals who dedicate their lives to it.

Doubt you'll find much luck among the old folk of foxestalk lol

But what you've said is exactly right, luckily for the people that enjoy it, a whole generation is being brought up with the option of making professional gaming into a full time career and that can't ever be a bad thing. To me, comparing esports to irl sports is same art, different canvas.

Guest Fktf
42 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

But what you've said is exactly right, luckily for the people that enjoy it, a whole generation is being brought up with the option of making professional gaming into a full time career and that can't ever be a bad thing. To me, comparing esports to irl sports is same art, different canvas.

From a neuroscience viewpoint, the art irl is much harder to master. Even down to small things like kicking a ball - there's so many more systems in the brain to coordinate irl compared to performing these actions in esports. We've had counterstrike mentioned too. The art of firing any sort of gun accurately is also much harder to perform irl than virtually. 

I'd accept that both are probably art forms, given people have dedicated lives to becoming the very best - but I'd struggle to see them as the same art form 

Edited by Fktf

1 hour ago, Innovindil said:

1 hour ago, Fktf said:

From a neuroscience viewpoint, the art irl is much harder to master. Even down to small things like kicking a ball - there's so many more systems in the brain to coordinate irl compared to performing these actions in esports. We've had counterstrike mentioned too. The art of firing any sort of gun accurately is also much harder to perform irl than virtually. 

I'd accept that both are probably art forms, given people have dedicated lives to becoming the very best - but I'd struggle to see them as the same art form 

I'm with fktf to be honest.

There is an undoubted skill in esports but it is all within the realms of normal human boundaries, whereas if someone told us in 2000 there would be two players with the abilities of Messi and Ronaldo irl and what they've both produced through pure ability with consistency,  you probably wouldnt believe it was possible for one person to produce that let alone two in the same area. Their art is so many levels beyond any esports gamer.

Edited by Nalis
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Corky said:

https://www.myfootballfacts.com/premier-league/all-time-premier-league/all-time-premier-league-table/

This is the most up to date one. We are 15th, two points behind Middlesbrough and 30 behind Leeds. Everyone else is too far ahead.

Points per game is the more interesting table on there.

Sunderland 😄

2 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Points per game is the more interesting table on there.

Sunderland 😄

Less than Wigan ffs, could have sworn they have some decent seasons away from their relegation dross.

12 minutes ago, Nalis said:

I'm with fktf to be honest.

There is an undoubted skill in esports but it is within all within the realms of normal human boundaries, whereas if someone told us in 2000 there would be two players with the abilities of Messi and Ronaldo irl and what they've both produced through pure ability with consistency,  you probably wouldnt believe it was possible for one person to produce that let alone two in the same area. Their art is so many levels beyond any esports gamer.

Load of rubbish, your perceptions of things are not everyone else's perception. Heaton from SK gaming in the 90s for example was every bit as much an artist, to those people who enjoy that medium.

Just because you enjoy guys playing football on a field doesn't meant it's any better or worse than a game that is happening on a digital field.

Edited by z-layrex
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, z-layrex said:

Load of rubbish, your perceptions of things are not everyone else's perception. Heaton from SK gaming in the 90s for example was every bit as much an artist, to those people who enjoy that medium.

Just because you enjoy guys playing football on a field doesn't meant it's any better or worse than a game that is happening on a digital field.

My best friend is obsessed with esports and travels to live events abroad regularly. I see the appeal and it's clear those guys have serious talent and skills in terms of reactions, certain fast twitch muscles and decision making in game. And it's obvious why fans can fall in love with certain teams and players. I do enjoy gaming myself and do it regularly. I'm rather good at counter strike.

But not to blow my own trumpet, I have played sport professionally. I don't particularly care if you want to call e-gaming an e-sport or call them e-athletes. But please don't insult actual athletes and sports stars who push their bodies to the absolute physical limits, and have essentially sacrifised any other way of life in the short term, something I'm afraid an e-athlete couldn't even begin to comprehend. Particularly the levels of training and physicality involved. E-athletes get to sit in a room on their desktop, possibly in their mums basement...👀

I jest. But the two are not comparable in the slightest. I know Twitch and the broadcasting has money thrown into it with e-gaming and it's got a huge fan base. But the reality is that those comparing it to actual sports can't and don't fully comprehend what it actually requires to make it to the top in a real sport. Ronaldo, Messi, Muhammad Ali, Roger Federer, Jonny Wilkinson, Michael Phelps...There is just no comparison. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, The Bear said:

I wish eSports was around back in my Street Fighter 2 days. I was top level at that game. I remember thinking I could compete no probs. 

Everyone thinks that don't they. When all you gotta beat are your mates on the sofa. 

For me it was Soul Calibur and Pro Evo. Whooped all my mates. 

Games now, however good you think you are, you get on the internet and you realise you ain't shit. And that the people that are destroying you, they ain't shit compared to even bottom rung pros. 

I've got little interest in watching eSports, in fact I'd go so far as to say they're a serious damage to the gaming industry and I can't stand them, but you gotta recognise the skill there at least.