Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 2

Pro Evo 3 was my game, won our uni wide tournament and a couple of other local ones.

As is life, I would assume there would have been others nationally who were better than me but would have been interesting to find out at least.

8 hours ago, z-layrex said:

Load of rubbish, your perceptions of things are not everyone else's perception. Heaton from SK gaming in the 90s for example was every bit as much an artist, to those people who enjoy that medium.

Just because you enjoy guys playing football on a field doesn't meant it's any better or worse than a game that is happening on a digital field.

Not better or worse, no. Just different.

And no one is arguing about the art bit, which, by definition, is subjective anyway.

But, as it's already been pointed out: from a hard scientific viewpoint, mastering a sport "in real life" is harder and requires more from a physical stand point than e-sports. Surely you can see and accept that? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Everyone thinks that don't they. When all you gotta beat are your mates on the sofa. 

For me it was Soul Calibur and Pro Evo. Whooped all my mates. 

Games now, however good you think you are, you get on the internet and you realise you ain't shit. And that the people that are destroying you, they ain't shit compared to even bottom rung pros. 

I've got little interest in watching eSports, in fact I'd go so far as to say they're a serious damage to the gaming industry and I can't stand them, but you gotta recognise the skill there at least. 

It wasn't just my mates though. I could whoop them without even trying. Other friends of friends would put up their best players and I'd whoop them too. 

9 hours ago, srex9 said:

But not to blow my own trumpet, I have played sport professionally. I don't particularly care if you want to call e-gaming an e-sport or call them e-athletes. But please don't insult actual athletes and sports stars who push their bodies to the absolute physical limits, and have essentially sacrifised any other way of life in the short term, something I'm afraid an e-athlete couldn't even begin to comprehend. Particularly the levels of training and physicality involved.

Not all sports people push themselves to their physical limits, dartists, snooker players, sumo wrestlers, F1 drivers, golfers etc.

Success in any sporting arena is about marrying natural skill with absolute dedication bordering on obsession, with a bit of technical assistance thrown in. In that sense e-sports are the same, if you're naturally good at a game you're not going to become a pro unless you dedicate your time and energy to studying, practicing and perfecting skills. In that sense it's more like chess than an athletic endeavor, but still has merit and rewards those that put the effort in.

1 minute ago, Spudulike said:

Not a sport though, is it. 

It's a game. 

Yes and no.. 

The definition of 'Sport' 

an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

Using the above then no it isn't a sport. However we still class Darts and Snooker as sports and there isn't much physical exertion going on in either of them. 

3 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Yes and no.. 

The definition of 'Sport' 

an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

Using the above then no it isn't a sport. However we still class Darts and Snooker as sports and there isn't much physical exertion going on in either of them. 

I think the definition has changed over the years. The only sports initially were hunting and fishing. 

Hence the Olympic Games, not sports. 

4 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Everyone thinks that don't they. When all you gotta beat are your mates on the sofa. 

For me it was Soul Calibur and Pro Evo. Whooped all my mates. 

Games now, however good you think you are, you get on the internet and you realise you ain't shit. And that the people that are destroying you, they ain't shit compared to even bottom rung pros. 

I've got little interest in watching eSports, in fact I'd go so far as to say they're a serious damage to the gaming industry and I can't stand them, but you gotta recognise the skill there at least. 

I would triumph over anyone on Mario Kart Ghost Valley 1 trust me.  ANYONE. 

1 hour ago, Captain... said:

Not all sports people push themselves to their physical limits, dartists, snooker players, sumo wrestlers, F1 drivers, golfers etc.

Success in any sporting arena is about marrying natural skill with absolute dedication bordering on obsession, with a bit of technical assistance thrown in. In that sense e-sports are the same, if you're naturally good at a game you're not going to become a pro unless you dedicate your time and energy to studying, practicing and perfecting skills. In that sense it's more like chess than an athletic endeavor, but still has merit and rewards those that put the effort in.

I agree with this. I was going to mention the likes of darts etc. Things that are more skills than sports imo.

Disagree about Formula1 though. Those guys are super fit and go through very tough training regimes. 

5 minutes ago, srex9 said:

I agree with this. I was going to mention the likes of darts etc. Things that are more skills than sports imo.

Disagree about Formula1 though. Those guys are super fit and go through very tough training regimes. 

Yes and no, formula 1 drivers need to be fit and have a strict fitness regime to cope with the rigours of driving. But they don't need to push their bodies to the physical limits to excel at their sport. They need to maintain a high level of fitness to be able to perform, but they are not going to be pushing their bodies for marginal gains in fitness.

Fitness is important but once you reach that threshold, there is no benefit to pushing yourself beyond it. LewisHamilton is not a better driver than Bottas because of fitness, and Bottas pushing his physical limits to improve his fitness beyond a high enough level is not going to close the gap.

In the same way an e-sportist needs to have a level of fitness and conditioning to be able to maintain focus and concentration whilst competing, albeit a much much lower level.

Couldn’t think of many things duller than watching esports, I’ve not really got much against it but I just don’t see the appeal for spectators. I’d struggle to be that enthused watching Northampton vs Crewe so seeing some sweatband wearing, monster drinkers play the latest battle royal game holds no interest for me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Abrasive fox said:

Most clubs have exactly the same amount of hard-core supporters. Beyond that all your arguing about is how many fair weather / band wagon jumpers there are.

I was not in the slightest, tiniest, remotest, vaguest way being serious. 

7 hours ago, Captain... said:

Yes and no, formula 1 drivers need to be fit and have a strict fitness regime to cope with the rigours of driving. But they don't need to push their bodies to the physical limits to excel at their sport. They need to maintain a high level of fitness to be able to perform, but they are not going to be pushing their bodies for marginal gains in fitness.

Fitness is important but once you reach that threshold, there is no benefit to pushing yourself beyond it. LewisHamilton is not a better driver than Bottas because of fitness, and Bottas pushing his physical limits to improve his fitness beyond a high enough level is not going to close the gap.

In the same way an e-sportist needs to have a level of fitness and conditioning to be able to maintain focus and concentration whilst competing, albeit a much much lower level.

Anyone who saw Jody Scheckter smash it on Superstars knows that's a load of bollocks

F1 drivers are and have to be some of the fittest people in all of sport to perform to a high level, they pull massive G-FORCES for 2 hours at certain tracks, Schumacher changed the game in F1 and its been the case that if you're not ultra fit you don't get a look in ever since, the days of James Hunt are long gone in F1, bit daft to put it alongside darts and snooker as examples of sports comparable to e-sports. 

I've always been a massive gamer, got really in to apex legends and thought I'd watch an e-sports event of the best players, it was one of the dullest things I've ever seen unfortunately, just the way the good players play the game, it's 90% sitting around waiting to see where the ring goes, barely any actual gun fights which is the bread and butter of what makes the game entertaining. 

18 minutes ago, jmono84 said:

I could never enjoy FIFA because it just doesn’t feel real enough to me because it’s so slow but I don’t think a game could ever be replicated to the speed of a real footy game

Have you played FIFA at all lately? FUT is like ping-pong. 

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Have you played FIFA at all lately? FUT is like ping-pong. 

I’ve not played it for years to be honest... I’ve had opportunities around mates houses but I always decline because I’m such a bad loser.