Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

City break recommendations

5 minutes ago, Milo said:

Great help, thanks for taking the time. We were wondering what to do on the Sunday, so maybe a mooch around the flea markets and a bit of sightseeing would do the trick. 

ok one final suggestion then because I really can't help myself. The flea markets I mentioned were all pretty small. The really really big one. Is every Sunday at Mauerpark. That's the sort of place you can spend hours but it is very busy and the crowds can get a bit much sometimes. Anyway, have fun! :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, what? said:

ok one final suggestion then because I really can't help myself. The flea markets I mentioned were all pretty small. The really really big one. Is every Sunday at Mauerpark. That's the sort of place you can spend hours but it is very busy and the crowds can get a bit much sometimes. Anyway, have fun! :) 

I love flea markets. You can get some amazing bargains, if you know what to look for. :thumbup:

12 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I was really disappointed with Amsterdam. As a standard nerd more interested in history and architecture than accessible weed and the sex industry, I thought the old town had completely sold out to cheap student tourism. 

Tacky drug paraphernalia, dodgy steak and pizza places and unwashed stoners and perverts were pretty much on every other street. 

Possibly been spoilt by Belgium really but I was kinda expecting more of the same from Brugge / Ghent but it just didn't quite live up. 

agree with this, and that’s coming from someone who probably perfectly fits the stoner pervert stereotype. been 3 times in the last 4 years and i’ve no idea why everyone keeps wanting to go back. sure it’s a nice novelty to have something (average) to eat and then smoke a doob afterwards before strolling round but it’s pretty boring really. 

went one last time this year to see kendrick lamar and after that i’ll be refusing any more trips there i reckon. it’s also very expensive compared to most other places (outside of france which seems to be the most expensive place of all time). 

1 minute ago, ScouseFox said:

agree with this, and that’s coming from someone who probably perfectly fits the stoner pervert stereotype. been 3 times in the last 4 years and i’ve no idea why everyone keeps wanting to go back. sure it’s a nice novelty to have something (average) to eat and then smoke a doob afterwards before strolling round but it’s pretty boring really. 

went one last time this year to see kendrick lamar and after that i’ll be refusing any more trips there i reckon. it’s also very expensive compared to most other places (outside of france which seems to be the most expensive place of all time). 

Why would you do it that way round?

On 17/08/2018 at 18:36, what? said:

As a customer and talking purely selfishly I think they're great. I've always had brilliant experience with them but as the company has grown their practises have started to have quite negative effects on the cities. I actually saw a very large piece of graffiti scrawled on a beautiful crumbling old building in Lisbon that last trip that has stuck in my mind. 

"You're killing the city you've come to see, **** you and **** AirBnb" 

Pretty stark but I get it. I live in Berlin, in one of the trendier districts. The local government tried to ban Airbnb here but couldn't enforce the rule and has now have resorted to heavy controls. Even still half the apartments in my building are constantly being rented out and rents in general are skyrocketing to insane levels. Basically airbnb is too profitable and tempting and in small old cities like Lisbon, if it's left unchecked, you end up with nobody being able to actually live there because everywhere has been bought up to rent out as holiday apartments. 

That said, I don't really blame anyone who uses it as a customer.

Kreuzberg?  My favourite spot in Berlin…. Very cool city to visit…. Hugely different mentality to the rest of Germany!

Huth was a Berliner!

On 17/08/2018 at 19:21, simFox said:

Leftfield choice, how about Bilbao in Spain.

Guggenheim museum, very clean, efficient tram. Great city.

Bilbao is cool and San Sebastián (30 mins away) is probably my favourite European town

Krakow was also standout 

21 hours ago, lgfualol said:

Going Milan for a couple nights in a couple weeks on my way to France, anyone got any tips for things to do? Never been. 

I dragged my girlfriend round the San Siro tour which was cool. The centre is obviously very picturesque, with the cathedral and shopping centre but there are a few shifty "bracelet sellers" round there. Just ignore them as the locals do.

I'd recommend walking across Sempione Park as it's really pretty and also you reach another part of Milan that's more modern and reasonably priced. 

Their metro system is fairly easy to use, I think it only has 4 or 5 lines and it's about €4 for a day ticket.

Edited by RonnieTodger

22 hours ago, lgfualol said:

Going Milan for a couple nights in a couple weeks on my way to France, anyone got any tips for things to do? Never been. 

Duomo’s rooftops are great. The large park has mentioned is worthy of a walk. If you want a district where you can have a cheaper apertivo, visit Navagli. It’s very Italian twee around there 

23 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I was really disappointed with Amsterdam. As a standard nerd more interested in history and architecture than accessible weed and the sex industry, I thought the old town had completely sold out to cheap student tourism. 

Tacky drug paraphernalia, dodgy steak and pizza places and unwashed stoners and perverts were pretty much on every other street. 

Possibly been spoilt by Belgium really but I was kinda expecting more of the same from Brugge / Ghent but it just didn't quite live up. 

Couldn't agree with you more on this. I was only there for a few hours and it didn't impress me at all. 

3 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

I dragged my girlfriend round the San Siro tour which was cool. The centre is obviously very picturesque, with the cathedral and shopping centre but there are a few shifty "bracelet sellers" round there. Just ignore them as the locals do.

I'd recommend walking across Sempione Park as it's really pretty and also you reach another part of Milan that's more modern and reasonably priced. 

Their metro system is fairly easy to use, I think it only has 4 or 5 lines and it's about €4 for a day ticket.

I am staying opposite the San Siro so that might be an option. My GF would probably not come though lol Thanks for the tips! 

2 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Duomo’s rooftops are great. The large park has mentioned is worthy of a walk. If you want a district where you can have a cheaper apertivo, visit Navagli. It’s very Italian twee around there 

Those rooftops look awesome I will take a look and probably go. Cheers!

42 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

Those rooftops look awesome I will take a look and probably go. Cheers!

For info, the normal entry ticket includes the rooftops. Worth seeing if you can get the jump-queue ticket as well. 

Apertivo is brilliant as well - most of the bars in Milan from 6 until 8 will charge a single price for a drink and all you can eat buffet. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

Loved Seville when we went there for the Champions League.

Rome for Valentines ? was also lovely and nothing like as expensive as I feared.

Bruges is very pretty but when we were there last month eye-wateringly expensive.

We also liked Munich.  Great food, great beer and very safe.

Everyone I know who has been to Barcelona has loved it.

Paris is an overpriced, overrated shithole imho.

Went to Istanbul years ago for a week and absolutely loved it. 

Grand Bazaar, Blue Mosque, Topkapi Palace, Ferry over to the Asian side of the Bosphorus (not a lot there came straight back), ferry up to small fishing village on the the edge of the Black Sea, hydrofoil out to the traffic free Princes Islands and hired a bike to cycle around, coffee in a cafe right on the banks of the Bosphorus at Ortakoy, A Besiktas home game, getting  pummelled by some 5'4" powerhouse of a man in a Turkish Bath, lounging on giant cushions drinking iced tea looking up at Hagia Sophia., The Spice Bazaar, one of the world's great cities.

A tip for all city trips,in Europe,if you are wandering around the towns,behind some facades of buildings and through those questionable cute inviting  archways.

Get cheeky and look around some courtyard,some nice nice non touristy shops,local young bars and breweries,wine-bars of biergartens,some bars,or good special restaurants....Sometime you only find washing lines....but all part of the fun discovering that something different.....obviously use common sense

and wisely tact...Porters and small shop,shop assistants and sacrificing 5-10minutes exchanging pleasantries can,open up a city,or a city suburb.

Even unknown markets,local celebrations with music food and drink,in a pleasant atmosphere..

We have met,some folk who were happy to play guide,without expecting money or tips,just happy to give and exchange time together.

This is great if you have time on your excursions.......Though recently there has been reports of robber bands abusing this niche.

nothing wrong with dam. just gotta go to the right places.

i've been about 7/8 times for both work and pleasure and always enjoyed it.

good food, great architecture / canal views, relaxed vibe, nice museums, awesome parks, good shopping, decent weed if you want it. 

yeah there's some touristy bits but there's plenty of areas that aren't like that.

not my favourite place but always have fun there and it's 45 minutes on a plane. 

On 22/08/2018 at 11:09, what? said:

Cool, I'd suggest heading south into Kreuzberg or east to Friedrichshain. Remember on Sundays nothing is open except corner shops (Spätis), cafes/restaurants and flea markets. So the best activity would just be exploring somewhere with pretty buildings or chilling with some nice food. Boxhagner Platz is a cute little square surrounded by great places to eat.

Had a great time, thanks for the recommendations. Seemed like a great city - safe and lots to do. Loved the spy museum (!) and the historical side of things, and did plenty of chilling and wandering around. Night life was lively, too :P

On 22/08/2018 at 11:30, Voll Blau said:

If you're round the East Side Gallery check out Scheers Schnitzel. Best I've ever tasted in Germany with top homemade sauces

It was indeed a good schnitzel, (even if the place did look a bit dodgy!), thanks for the tip! Good job, too, as there was bugger all else round there. I thought the east side gallery would be a bit of an artists hub, with things to do and see. But there was literally the wall and nothing else - no shops, bars, restaurants or anything other than a few building projects - wall was pretty impressive, tbf.

Thanks again, would highly recommend Berlin for a weekend away :thumbup:

• Like 2