Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Outfox the Fox

Benkovic January Recall?

16 hours ago, Reg Vardy said:

26 and on a five year deal. Every player reaches a point where they are at an age when their value drops, largely due to age. Maguire will be sold within the next two years. Leicester whilst a decent sized football club, haven’t spent £25m on two young centre halves not to sell an older one for £75m...and as Harry’s age goes up his value goes down.

The Beckham transfer to Real is a good example, and there are countless others of great players being sold, when they know values start dropping. Slimani is prime, we overpaid for an ageing forward then struggled to sell him. Basically he is worth nowt in two years time. 

At the same time Soya and Benko will go through exactly the same process......

His value will peak probably when he hits 29/30 which is generally considered the prime years for centre backs - especially those which don't rely on pace.

1 hour ago, sylofox said:

Not sure why so many put the SPL down for a loan deal. Obviously did Maddison no harm. Or do people think he would have been twice the player had he not gone. 

TBH the standard in the main is a bit League 1/2.   Plus a couple of SPL teams play on dodgy plastic pitches, which was the reason Benko pulled out of one game during the warm-up i.e. he felt a twinge to a historical injury.   The Championship would be a much better option IMO.   

17 hours ago, Reg Vardy said:

26 and on a five year deal. Every player reaches a point where they are at an age when their value drops, largely due to age. Maguire will be sold within the next two years. Leicester whilst a decent sized football club, haven’t spent £25m on two young centre halves not to sell an older one for £75m...and as Harry’s age goes up his value goes down.

The Beckham transfer to Real is a good example, and there are countless others of great players being sold, when they know values start dropping. Slimani is prime, we overpaid for an ageing forward then struggled to sell him. Basically he is worth nowt in two years time. 

At the same time Soya and Benko will go through exactly the same process......

This time last year Evans was 29, had less than a year left on his contract, playing for a struggling West Brom side and was still getting offers in the region of £20m.

But you think in 2 years time that Maguire - a 28 year old established England international, in his prime and with 3 years left on his contract - will have dropped in value and 'be worth nowt'? Bizarre.

It'd take a world record fee for a CB for us to consider selling - especially in January - imo.

Edited by Xen
  • Like 1

He will be worth something to us......but any club buying him in two years time will get nowt back on what they try to sell him on beyond that, which is what i am referring to.

Potential buyers will want exactly the scenario you suggest. Able to recoup their investment, after they get two years out of him...to do that they need to be buying him this year, not when Maguire is 28.

Evans was sold for £3m as I recall. England's centre backs used to be 30, but Stones, Maguire, Alexander Arnold, Gomez, all  suggest 30 is exactly the time they go over their peak.....

Like I say, we haven't spent £25m on two of the brightest defensive prospects on the market, only to keep Maguire...he'll go.................time will tell who has called this right.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Reg Vardy said:

He will be worth something to us......but any club buying him in two years time will get nowt back on what they try to sell him on beyond that, which is what i am referring to.

Potential buyers will want exactly the scenario you suggest. Able to recoup their investment, after they get two years out of him...to do that they need to be buying him this year, not when Maguire is 28.

Evans was sold for £3m as I recall. England's centre backs used to be 30, but Stones, Maguire, Alexander Arnold, Gomez, all  suggest 30 is exactly the time they go over their peak.....

Like I say, we haven't spent £25m on two of the brightest defensive prospects on the market, only to keep Maguire...he'll go.................time will tell who has called this right.....

Man Utd or Man City will be paying for a top quality player. They won’t be bothered what he’s worth when he is older. They’ll want to keep him playing until his performances drop. The only way they’ll recoup a big amount on him would be to sell while he’s still at his peak, which they won’t do. 

I was all for him going to Celtic when he went. Still think it's a pretty good idea but we could do with the stability he seems to be providing for Celtic.

I've been to lots of Scottish league games and, whilst the quality of the Scottish leagues is clearly inferior to the English leagues, the games are usually competitive and Celtic have to earn their wins for the most part.

We all know Aguero is better than Naismith but that shouldn't detract from how Benkovic has calmly settled in up there and seems to be marshalling Celtic's defence.

• Like 1

I didn't see the full game last night but I saw the highlights this morning. I didn't know why he decided to leave the man he was marking and decided to mark open space. Leaving his centre half partner with two to mark with one of them scoring a free header.

12 hours ago, cityfanlee23 said:

I'm still in contact with my Scottish ex's dad who is a season ticket holder at Celtic, he says Benkovic has been immense and the fear around the fans there is that we might recall him. 

Please rest assure them whilst Morgan still has 2 legs and not suspended he wont be recalled.

Edited by les-tah

21 hours ago, mozartfox said:

TBH the standard in the main is a bit League 1/2.   Plus a couple of SPL teams play on dodgy plastic pitches, which was the reason Benko pulled out of one game during the warm-up i.e. he felt a twinge to a historical injury.   The Championship would be a much better option IMO.   

You do know our pitch is over 70% artificial as well. 

• Thanks 1

From the Celtic Forums...

Best centre half on show tonight , strong and composed and they had upamecano rated about 100m

Could we convince him to go on strike once he goes back down south?

Absolutely class. Really hope Leicester don’t recall him in January :40:

Leicester won’t have him for long never mind us.

From the 7 games so far, his defensive fundamentals are at least on par with the 21 y/o VVD that joined us for me. 

Lacks a few things that make VVD so special, but I really see him becoming a top centre half.

For any Leicester fans looking in, the boy is pish barely SPL standard.. but we'll take him off your hands.. we have an experienced German CB we will reluctantly swap for him.. (This one made me laugh!)

He is a dominator, he’ll go on and become a top drawer centre half down south.

VVD is world class and I believe Benkovic has that level of potential.

Be interesting to see how he does v better opposition..

The VVD comparisons are a little premature, but wish he was ours.

The real question is how did our scouts not notice him before Leicester did?

He's the exact type of player, from the exact type of country we used to and should be still scouting thoroughly.

I would bench press Susan Boyle on top of a bed of nails just to keep him (lol!)

It's still early days but he looks easily the best centre half in the league. would do a part trade with Boyata for him.

Sheer class he is,never looks flustered even tonight.

Mr. Penalty box control. Always alert.

If we can convince Leicester he'd benefit another season here before the jump....

Come January if we are still sitting around where we are now then it makes more sense to recall and play him. Sometimes you just need to give a player some time to integrate with the squad and get used to our style of play. 

Even if he has a few bad games at the start, its about letting him get up to speed. Its a slight gamble but im sure it would be worth it. But obviously if Claude has no intention of playing him over CS, WM or JE then leave him on loan. On the surface it seems like he may actually be more prepared for the step up than CS, perhaps the wrong player went on loan. 

Edited by Lambert09

5 hours ago, themightyfin said:

You do know our pitch is over 70% artificial as well. 

You may want to check out Desso Grass Master. That's the surface we play on. 

They state its 100% grass surface. 

I would put a link up but for some reason I can't. 

He'll play in two more Europa League games and play Rangers and Aberdeen before Christmas. Afterwards he might get some Europa Leauge matches (but it's touch and go if they get past the group stage) and he'll play Rangers again. Considering Celtic just beat the current league leaders 5 - 0 I don't know how competitive the league will be.

But granted if they get further in the Europa League then why not keep him there. Then again we do have one injured centre back, another injured backup centre back, a new aging centre back who might be coming into form, and another young centre back and it's still too early to tell about him. It's not like we're flush with options.