Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Outfox the Fox

Benkovic January Recall?

2 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

He’s tearing up because he’s having to mark Steven Naismith out of a game

Well surely that is the precise reason to recall him and have play against more talented and challenging forwards?  Whether that is with us (within the first Team squad set-up) or on loan to a top Championship Team, depends on where we are in December in terms of our defense.  Playing in the SPL is not going to improve him.

We have some difficult games coming up where pace will be required, so something will have to change

Saw him a few times up here and I don't think he's had to wash his jersey yet. Hes a class above. Strolls through the games. I'm pretty sure he wore his slippers against hearts. 

Might be wrong but I'm pretty sure that of the 6 games he's played they've had 5 clean sheets and that's a team that started the season poorly and were leaking goals before he made his debut. 

Edited by Foxy_Bear
  • Like 2

On 22/09/2018 at 07:15, Livid said:

If we do recall him and Barnes from playing first team football elsewhere it's got to be because they are in serious contention for a first team place.

We did this to Barnes last year, gave him game time with the 2nd eleven in the cup and a couple of appearances as sub. He would have been better off staying at Barnsley IMO.

You say that, but he is now tearing up the Championship, would that have happened if he stayed a full season with Barnsley?

There are 2 sides to going on load to a Championship club. One is more competitive game time but the other is a lower level and standard of coaching. There needs to be the right combination of both. Half a season at Barnsley gave him a taste of competitive football. Then he had 6 months of top level fitness and conditioning coaching (the level of football coaching is up for debate, but we have top level facilities when it comes to sports science, conditioning, fitness and nutrition. He is now bigger faster stronger and made the step up to a top Championship side easily and is now bossing the division. If he had spent the second half on loan at Barnsley he could have got injured, fatigued or burned out at a struggling side especially after the changes at Oakwell.

The club do try and do what is best for the players, and especially young players shouldn't just be given game time for the sake of it, you can't just send a player on loan to any old club and expect them to benefit, if you don't find the right club or the right loan deal, or if it is not working for the player then you bring them back and look after them.

4 hours ago, mozartfox said:

Playing in the SPL is not going to improve him.

Maybe not from a pure footballing point of view, but they have decent facilities up there and good coaching and he is also learning the "language and culture" (I know it is Scotland but it is kinda similar) and playing in "English" conditions.

If Maguire's injury is bad, Morgan and Evans don't strike up a decent partnership and Soyuncu fails to find his feet, then yes bring him back and play him, send them Soyuncu as replacement. As it is we have 3 fit centre backs that all have the capability of doing well this season and Maguire, if we get a good partnership with a back up sorted by Christmas then leave Benkovic at Celtic if he is happy.

2 hours ago, Captain... said:

Maybe not from a pure footballing point of view, but they have decent facilities up there and good coaching and he is also learning the "language and culture" (I know it is Scotland but it is kinda similar) and playing in "English" conditions.

If Maguire's injury is bad, Morgan and Evans don't strike up a decent partnership and Soyuncu fails to find his feet, then yes bring him back and play him, send them Soyuncu as replacement. As it is we have 3 fit centre backs that all have the capability of doing well this season and Maguire, if we get a good partnership with a back up sorted by Christmas then leave Benkovic at Celtic if he is happy.

If Harry is out for a time and we pair Evans and Morgan against the top 6 attacks, we will get dished out some 6-1 hammerings like Southampton endured last night. If we played Cardiff every week, then no problem.  Not sure why we should Celtic a replacement though?.  They could have bought Benkovic in January 2018 but would not stump up the fee demanded and now they are regretting it if you read their forum!  Tough shite.

8 hours ago, lcfc sheff said:

Do we know how long Maguire is out for yet? Could force our hand 

That's the key factor, isn't it. If Harry Mag is back soon, leave him. Otherwise the lad looks ready for the first eleven already.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Captain... said:

Learn the language? Can’t wait for a deep Glaswegian/Croatian blend coming soon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mozartfox said:

If Harry is out for a time and we pair Evans and Morgan against the top 6 attacks, we will get dished out some 6-1 hammerings like Southampton endured last night. If we played Cardiff every week, then no problem.  Not sure why we should Celtic a replacement though?.  They could have bought Benkovic in January 2018 but would not stump up the fee demanded and now they are regretting it if you read their forum!  Tough shite.

Because if Soyuncu is still struggling to adapt getting game time in Scotland would benefit him rather than kick his heels behind Maguire, Morgan, Evans and Benkovic.

1 minute ago, Captain... said:

Because if Soyuncu is still struggling to adapt getting game time in Scotland would benefit him rather than kick his heels behind Maguire, Morgan, Evans and Benkovic.

There are other places to gain experience other than the very weak SPL.  How about the Championship?  Then I thoroughly agree, that is a good option for him if Benko is brought back.

29 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

There are other places to gain experience other than the very weak SPL.  How about the Championship?  Then I thoroughly agree, that is a good option for him if Benko is brought back.

Of course, but Celtic have been good for Benkovic and Soyuncu doesn’t need to be playing at the highest level he just needs to be playing with English speaking players. If we recall Benkovic Celtic will be looking for a CB to replace him. Not saying he has to go there but if f I was to phone up Celtic and say we’re recalling Benkovic the next sentence out my mouth would be, but we have an excellent young prospect looking for experience that we can loan until the end of the season.

14 hours ago, mozartfox said:

Well surely that is the precise reason to recall him and have play against more talented and challenging forwards?  Whether that is with us (within the first Team squad set-up) or on loan to a top Championship Team, depends on where we are in December in terms of our defense.  Playing in the SPL is not going to improve him.

We have some difficult games coming up where pace will be required, so something will have to change

We can't loan him out now can we? Came on against Fleetwood so has already played for two clubs. Annoying in hindsight.

Leave him at Celtic for the season. We can always utilise Fuchs or Simpson at centre back, should it get that bad. 

We’re set for mid table obscurity this season, so let’s play it out and focus on the medium to long term. 

6 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

We can't loan him out now can we? Came on against Fleetwood so has already played for two clubs. Annoying in hindsight.

Yeah. You are correct. Forgot about that cameo. Pointless in hindsight.   I suppose it is case of see where we are come December with form and injuries.

It may be a bit harsh but whilst I can understand that it may take players time to adapt to a different country and culture, in Soyuncu's case I don't buy the language barrier. If my job required me to have some knowledge of another language to atain big wages, with a bit of personal  effort I think I'd be quite proficient by now. In real terms, how many words or phrases do you really need to know on a football pitch. I think it's a smokescreen for the fact, as understandable that it is, that he was nowhere near good enough for Premiership football when he arrived. They probably knew this and bought his potential regardless. His debut was ok but that's all.

Benkovic is a separate case and appears to be doing very well but was also sent out for a reason. Though I questioned at the time the usefulness of playing in a poor Scottish league compared with the more viable comparison and competition of the Championship, I'm presuming that people better qualified than me had a reason to send him there. IF the same people who sent him there were of the opinion that he is now capable of performing at Premiership level alongside Maguire then of course he's worth bringing back. Soyuncu's feelings would not be a consideration for me as it's about whoever is the better player at a particular given time in their development. It's about them as individuals improving all aspects of their game, whether physical, temperament or communication skills and competing for a place.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

It may be a bit harsh but whilst I can understand that it may take players time to adapt to a different country and culture, in Soyuncu's case I don't buy the language barrier. If my job required me to have some knowledge of another language to atain big wages, with a bit of personal  effort I think I'd be quite proficient by now. In real terms, how many words or phrases do you really need to know on a football pitch. I think it's a smokescreen for the fact, as understandable that it is, that he was nowhere near good enough for Premiership football when he arrived. They probably knew this and bought his potential regardless. His debut was ok but that's all.

Benkovic is a separate case and appears to be doing very well but was also sent out for a reason. Though I questioned at the time the usefulness of playing in a poor Scottish league compared with the more viable comparison and competition of the Championship, I'm presuming that people better qualified than me had a reason to send him there. IF the same people who sent him there were of the opinion that he is now capable of performing at Premiership level alongside Maguire then of course he's worth bringing back. Soyuncu's feelings would not be a consideration for me as it's about whoever is the better player at a particular given time in their development. It's about them as individuals improving all aspects of their game, whether physical, temperament or communication skills and competing for a place.

My guess is that Brendan Rogers is a well respected coach that plays a similar style to Puel's football, so he'd be developed as a player in the style that naturally fits his progression into a Leicester player.

It's hard for any centre half to get time on the ball in the Championship too - it's great for developing defending long balls and physical battles, but not for coaching composure, or for defending against patient, probing, passing attacking styles he's likely to meet when he comes "home".