Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Euro 2020 Qualifiers

Very disappointed that our players didn't walk off. I don't buy this protocol, it seems like it's there just to try and stop the fans by using the stage 2, not to abandon the game and punish the nations. We had a chance there tonight to walk off like we said we were going to originally, to show UEFA that regardless of the importance of playing in a major international tournament, the racial abuse of our players matters more and we bottled it. Imagine that, the nation hosting the semi and the final, walked off the pitch and was willing to sacrifice the win in order to try and kick racism out of the game. The racism clearly carried on into the second half with the referee not even considering abandoning the game. All that'll happen now is they get a fine or they'll play a match behind closed doors, when in reality they should be banned from any international games for 6-12 months.

They were doing monkey chants, they were doing nazi salutes, they were blatantly booing black players and they've placed stickers in and around the stadium promoting white power and saying no to racial mixing. All this and they'll likely just get a slap on the wrist.

Our FA chairman after the game was absolutely spineless too. The comment about isolated incidents is bullshit, there were clearly small groups still continuing with the chants, regardless of that huge group that were the main culprits leaving.

We'll be here again in 12-18 months, commenting again on our players being racially abused in one of these backwards inbred European countries, it makes me sick.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Very disappointed that our players didn't walk off. I don't buy this protocol, it seems like it's there just to try and stop the fans by using the stage 2, not to abandon the game and punish the nations. We had a chance there tonight to walk off like we said we were going to originally, to show UEFA that regardless of the importance of playing in a major international tournament, the racial abuse of our players matters more and we bottled it. Imagine that, the nation hosting the semi and the final, walked off the pitch and was willing to sacrifice the win in order to try and kick racism out of the game. The racism clearly carried on into the second half with the referee not even considering abandoning the game. All that'll happen now is they get a fine or they'll play a match behind closed doors, when in reality they should be banned from any international games for 6-12 months.

They were doing monkey chants, they were doing nazi salutes, they were blatantly booing black players and they've placed stickers in and around the stadium promoting white power and saying no to racial mixing. All this and they'll likely just get a slap on the wrist.

Our FA chairman after the game was absolutely spineless too. The comment about isolated incidents is bullshit, there were clearly small groups still continuing with the chants, regardless of that huge group that were the main culprits leaving.

We'll be here again in 12-18 months, commenting again on our players being racially abused in one of these backwards inbred European countries, it makes me sick.

I do get where you are coming from and i think it was disgusting behaviour but for me if we had walked off then dont you think the idiots would have thought they had won?

2 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

I do get where you are coming from and i think it was disgusting behaviour but for me if we had walked off then dont you think the idiots would have thought they had won?

No because Uefa would have done something had we walked off (in my opinion). We've been staying on the pitch for over 20 years and they still continue to do it and nothing still continues to be done. Staying on and playing on through it doesn't combat the abuse because Uefa just let it slide every time.

5 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

This isn’t a personal attack but I can’t believe people are still rolling out the “they think they’ll have won” line. It’s absolute nonsense and needs to stop 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

No because Uefa would have done something had we walked off (in my opinion). We've been staying on the pitch for over 20 years and they still continue to do it and nothing still continues to be done. Staying on and playing on through it doesn't combat the abuse because Uefa just let it slide every time.

2 minutes ago, Samilktray said:

This isn’t a personal attack but I can’t believe people are still rolling out the “they think they’ll have won” line. It’s absolute nonsense and needs to stop 

Like i said i get where you are coming from and making a statement by walking off, would have been one hell of a statement. But we are not talking about rational people here, they are disgusting racists and were there to be-little and put off the players with their actions, dont you think if we had walked off they would have in their warped minds thought they had done a good job? 

Im just asking and i dont know their reasoning :) 

IMHO walking off is the right  decision. Anyone can stay and play but it takes balls to make an actual stand for this even if it means losing the game for walking off. I get this won't neccesarily change behaviours/opinions/beliefs but you have to start somewhere. Take football away from these hooligans and see how much fun they have playing mushy cookie with their inbred friends. 

I think its sad that a select minority of idiots ruin it for everyone.

• Like 1

Awful from a human point of view but awful from a football point of view as well tbf. 

Just did England's team talk for them. The notion that European ultras are just trying to throw the opposition off their game just took one in the eye. 

England looked keen to prove a point to be quite honest and put them to the sword. 

I'm absolutely not suggesting that should always be the response, it should always be up to the players and if they want to walk off they absolutely should. But certainly thrashing the opposition six nil is another way of dealing with it. 

Fair play. 

• Like 2

I don't think it would've been fair to the thousands of England fans that travelled out there if England had walked off y'day. They did the right thing for those lot staying on and hammering Bulgaria. 

If Bulgaria aren't seriously punished after this though then I'm behind walking off if it happens again.

I don't understand why people thought this protocol was so succcessful, it basically allowed these thugs to come into the stadium, racially abuse people upto a certain point and then just leave right before it got to the stage where it should have been called off.

If isolated incidents occur then so be it, you try and take action on those people, but as soon as it was clear hundreds of people are making monkey noises the game should be abandoned. There has to be zero tolerane of it, not a window for racism until it gets so bad we decide to take the nuclear option..

9 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I accept that parts of Eastern Europe have a particular problem with incidents of racism and I fully get that some grounds have seen repeated issues and somehow games continue to be played there. 

However, describing entire countries as "backwards" and "inbred" is the kind of blanket description that we are railing against, and probably not helpful. 

Not all Bulgarians share the views of those behaving shamefully last night:

Think it would be incredibly harsh on the Bulgarian players if the team were to be banned in the basis of their dumbass supporters. The captain was arguing with the fans, pleading for them to stop. He, and the other players, will be proud of representing their (majority not racist) country. Ban all the fans, leave the players be. 

1 hour ago, MattP said:

I don't understand why people thought this protocol was so succcessful, it basically allowed these thugs to come into the stadium, racially abuse people upto a certain point and then just leave right before it got to the stage where it should have been called off.

If isolated incidents occur then so be it, you try and take action on those people, but as soon as it was clear hundreds of people are making monkey noises the game should be abandoned. There has to be zero tolerane of it, not a window for racism until it gets so bad we decide to take the nuclear option..

So you want to punish the masses for the actions of a minority? Let's not forget that out of thousands of people, this was a group of maybe 100 that was causing issues. You can't combat anything by punishing those not in the wrong. You could say the same about English football fans who go abroad and disrespect the locals and their country. You can't punish everyone as it tends to be a small minority of groups that do it.

In this day an age where cameras are everywhere (and we even saw loads of them on TV), it should be dealt with person by person. Ban them from attending football matches, give them punishments by the law. There is little the players, staff, honest fans can do to stop this themselves without the support of the government/FA.

And those saying walking off would have been correct, I am not sure myself. I think the way everyone went about it yesterday was ideal. The people shouting abuse were not there to watch the football match, they were there to terrorise the players. They're not football fans. Walking off would have been a win for them as they got what they came for.

• Like 1