Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Euro 2020 Qualifiers

1 minute ago, foxfanazer said:

I mean going forward and against better teams. It's great wiping the floor with these sort of sides but we need to do it against the Belgium's and Croatia's etc. Still think we're fairly weak in the middle of the park

Mehhh I take your point. Sort of. I think Sterling in this sort of form negates that whole issue, even against the better sides, and let’s face it, like him or not Harry Kane is going to score goals it’s just what he does. I think we’re as close to ‘clicking’ as we ever have been in my lifetime. 

1 minute ago, StriderHiryu said:

Serious shot of winning the tournament on this form. 

We've not played anyone half decent, the times we have done we were beaten. We'll be contenders for sure but let's wait to see how we play against a decent footballing side 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Manini said:

Mehhh I take your point. Sort of. I think Sterling in this sort of form negates that whole issue, even against the better sides, and let’s face it, like him or not Harry Kane is going to score goals it’s just what he does. I think we’re as close to ‘clicking’ as we ever have been in my lifetime. 

The issue is our middle 3, when we find a comfortable trio who click with the rest of the side I think we'll start to get even better. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Manini said:

Yeah Kane scores against the likes of Tunisia and Panama but didn't show up in the big games. It's good that people are excited about England again but it's too early to be getting carried away. Sterling can't be expected to carry us against the big teams and there's nothing to suggest he can

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Maddison could be the missing link in this side imo. Strong end to the season and start the next well and I think Southgate will have to look at him 

Think his problem at the moment is there's no real room in this current system for a proper no.10 and he's not really got the physical attributes to play as a central midfielder. The good thing is that Southgate has a) shown that he's not afraid to change formations and b) obviously has a lot of faith in young players. I'm sure he'll get a chance if he keeps improving, but then again there are a few other good players who'd be in competition for that spot e.g. Foden and Mount

• Like 1

Just now, foxfanazer said:

Yeah Kane scores against the likes of Tunisia and Panama but didn't show up in the big games. It's good that people are excited about England again but it's too early to be getting carried away. Sterling can't be expected to carry us against the big teams and there's nothing to suggest he can

100% this. The excitement behind the national team is something I've never really seen before, it's brilliant to see.

We have so much quality in the side, but it hasn't clicked against the elite opponents just yet. 

4 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

We've not played anyone half decent, the times we have done we were beaten. We'll be contenders for sure but let's wait to see how we play against a decent footballing side 

We beat Spain, in Spain, about 5 games ago.

I think we’re a long way from the finish article but we’re a much better side than we were last summer.

Just now, UniFox21 said:

100% this. The excitement behind the national team is something I've never really seen before, it's brilliant to see.

We have so much quality in the side, but it hasn't clicked against the elite opponents just yet. 

Yeah it's a young side and it seems Southgate allows them to play with freedom so it's exciting for sure. Just need the final pieces of the jigsaw and imo that's the midfield 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, foxfanazer said:

Yeah don’t necessarily disagree with any of that, or with what @UniFox21 said either. 

I guess the point I was sort of blindly getting at was that I don’t really see how Maddison makes this team any better than it is now, especially how lightweight he is, and don’t get me wrong I’m a huge fan of JM. I think he’d get found out too early at this level...but...the lad is only 20odd so in 18 months time as you say could be an asset, I hope so. 

Imagine if we had a Hazard. 

1 minute ago, Manini said:

Yeah don’t necessarily disagree with any of that, or with what @UniFox21 said either. 

I guess the point I was sort of blindly getting at was that I don’t really see how Maddison makes this team any better than it is now, especially how lightweight he is, and don’t get me wrong I’m a huge fan of JM. I think he’d get found out too early at this level...but...the lad is only 20odd so in 18 months time as you say could be an asset, I hope so. 

Imagine if we had a Hazard. 

He does need to bulk a fair bit that's for sure. If he could adapt his game to play a bit deeper I feel he could be an asset as he has an eye for a pass as we've seen for some of his assists for Vardy. Playing those sort of passes to Sterling/Sancho could prove fruitful.

Agree he's unlikely to get in as a 10 though

8 minutes ago, ttfn said:

We beat Spain, in Spain, about 5 games ago.

I think we’re a long way from the finish article but we’re a much better side than we were last summer.

Spain are as great team to beat, but they aren't at the level they used to be.

It's great progress and a great position to be in, but they aren't the giants they used to be 

Joe Cole saying we need to build the team around Kane, which we did in the summer and he went missing in our big games towards the end.

We can't build around one player, we need to build around a core group of top class players who are able to step up in the big games.

Just now, StriderHiryu said:

Spain and Croatia aren’t half decent?

Mentioned this earlier, Spain aren't the giants they used to be. It's great to be in a position to beat them, but theyre in a huge transition phase. And the Croatia game was a huge win, no arguments there.

But the last few "big" teams we've played; Belgium x2, Croatia x3 and Spainx2. We've won twice, Croatia and Spain. 

Yes we have the quality and potential to be a top side, we haven't been able to regularly perform against top teams.

1 minute ago, UniFox21 said:

Joe Cole saying we need to build the team around Kane, which we did in the summer and he went missing in our big games towards the end.

We can't build around one player, we need to build around a core group of top class players who are able to step up in the big games.

What does building a team around a player even mean in international football? I can sort of understand it at club level as you can buy players to compliment your better players but makes no sense with Kane for England.

Our biggest strength seems to be attacking at pace with fast wide players. If we build around anybody it should be Sterling on current form

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Mentioned this earlier, Spain aren't the giants they used to be. It's great to be in a position to beat them, but theyre in a huge transition phase. And the Croatia game was a huge win, no arguments there.

But the last few "big" teams we've played; Belgium x2, Croatia x3 and Spainx2. We've won twice, Croatia and Spain. 

Yes we have the quality and potential to be a top side, we haven't been able to regularly perform against top teams.

We top the group with those in it... progress, plus we won the two most recent matches against Spain and Croatia again progress 

34 minutes ago, ttfn said:

I know the opposition hasn’t been great in this round of fixtures but it beggars belief that 9 months ago we reached a World Cup semi final with no creativity whatsoever.

The team is full of creativity and movement now.

Eeehhhh. I'd hold that sentiment until you play someone decent tbh (and not in a friendly.) This latest England is very Spursy, absolutely brilliant at being a flat track bully, hence why you were going to win the world cup after beating Panama. 

But then you come up against a decent side and forget how to play. The sport becomes a hell of a lot different when the opposition are organised and parking the bus. 

With the exception of Raheem Sterling being in form, it's pretty much the same core parts as the summer which is really only a few months ago. Not a great deal has changed. 

I'm not being negative for the sakes of it, you've got a great future with some of the young players in your squad and yeah you really could actually be challenging for major trophies. 

But there's still a niggle there in that you're yet to actually look creative against a tidy team when it matters and that's still a question mark over a manager who, let's be perfectly fair here, has done basically **** all in his career tactically. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

I do agree with you, but at the same time isn't it nice to be optimistic!? We have a very good team these days and though I don't think we will win, I think we will go close.

At the last world cup even though France won, they were not very impressive. Belgium and Brazil at times looked great but both have obvious weaknesses. For me there isn't a dominant international team at the moment, which means things are up for grabs. Portugal won the last Euros without having a very good team at all, proving a lot of the time it can come down to being better on the day.

2 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

I do agree with you, but at the same time isn't it nice to be optimistic!? We have a very good team these days and though I don't think we will win, I think we will go close.

At the last world cup even though France won, they were not very impressive. Belgium and Brazil at times looked great but both have obvious weaknesses. For me there isn't a dominant international team at the moment, which means things are up for grabs. Portugal won the last Euros without having a very good team at all, proving a lot of the time it can come down to being better on the day.

This is the most optimistic we've been with our national team, and its brilliant to witness without a doubt. We actually a system and high chance of us creating a successful team. 

We do stand a good chance of getting somewhere, but I won't get too happy until we start consistently playing well against good quality opposition!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Manini said:

Is there a missing link? I think we look pretty bloody good at the moment to be honest (opposition considered) 

Team carried Dele Alli completely in that game, he did absolutely nothing - Maddison would be a much better choice in my mind.

Southgate seems to want to play with a similar system to Leicester in the midfield, being one holding, and 2 much more advanced.

Edited by Beechey

People love "stars" so it always has to be about someone that people can name. I agree it should be all about the team.

I don't see Kane as a guy that will do well with all the extra pressure. Let him just go and play and do what he does. 

I've watched for long enough that even if they score 5 goals in every match leading up to Euros, I will still temper my expectations.

I like that you see quite a few different players playing now. I think Southgate's doing a decent job managing that and seeing who will be the group he goes with.