Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

What's in the news?

Even some of the ex-Labour MP's aren't going to vote for the NC motion.

Think she'll win it by about 18-20.

If Labour had competent front benchers in charge now without a history of sympathising with Britain's enemies this government would be falling tonight. 

Edited by MattP

11 minutes ago, MattP said:

If Labour had competent front benchers in charge now without a history of sympathising with Britain's enemies this government would be falling tonight. 

They would vote for Dianne Abbott

3 hours ago, RobHawk said:

Gotta wonder what the point of delaying the vote was. All it's done is waste and time and if anything solidify the support against Mays deal. 

I gotta say for her part in this, I think Mays only got herself to blame. It's the biggest and most decisive issue in modern times. She's managed to create a deal that everyone hates. She's asked all sides to compromise but stuck to her red lines and refused to budge herself. 

Even now, when she needs to lead all of parliament through the biggest political crisis I've ever seen, she has no interest in speaking to the opposition and is only going to try and win over the Tory rebels and the DUP. 

The ERG will never be happy with any deal May will propose. Tonight is their chance to try and sieze power if they want it, but I can't see anything other than May in government in the morning. It's a poisoned chalice and they know it. 

David Cameron still the biggest culprit in all of this and I see today he says he doesn't regret having the referendum and leaving the country in this state. I think when the dust finally settled on all of this History will have him go down as one of the worst PMs in history. 

Spot on …. excellent post 

18 minutes ago, MattP said:

An MP who is guaranteed to lose his seat at the next election doesn't want to risk an election? Imagine my shock.

Got nothing to do with the Labour front bench.

• Like 2

Just now, ealingfox said:

An MP who is guaranteed to lose his seat at the next election doesn't want to risk an election? Imagine my shock.

Got nothing to do with the Labour front bench.

Sorry but that's just totally wrong. His position has been consistent throughout. He was also fully expected to lose his seat last year and retained it, he'd have more than a chance as an Independent at the next election.

From BEFORE the election last year - https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/labour-party/news/85170/labour-mp-john-woodcock-i-cant-vote-jeremy-corbyn

The sad thing is, we know there are lots of his fellow MP's who feel exactly the same but can't do anything but vote for this because they'll lose the party whip if they don't. 

Rees-Mogg 'won't put a Marxist in No 10'

I find it weird that he has no confidence in his own party at an election, has zero confidence in the government's Brexit deal and has done everything possible to stop it, but is going to vote for Theresa tonight. 

4 minutes ago, RobHawk said:

Rees-Mogg 'won't put a Marxist in No 10'

I find it weird that he has no confidence in his own party at an election, has zero confidence in the government's Brexit deal and has done everything possible to stop it, but is going to vote for Theresa tonight. 

Because a Marxist in no 10 would cause more economic damage than any Brexit could. 

This tonight is as much of a no confidence vote in Corbyn, Abbott, McDonnell etc as it is a vote of "confidence" in HMG.

Edited by MattP

1 minute ago, MattP said:

This tonight is as much of a no confidence vote in Corbyn, Abbott, McDonnell etc as it is a vote of "confidence" in HMG.

This. Assuming she wins the vote it's less about the confidence in her and her government and more about how bad Corbyn and the opposition are with the LiBDems just a shadow in some distant corner.

7 minutes ago, MattP said:

Sorry but that's just totally wrong. His position has been consistent throughout. He was also fully expected to lose his seat last year and retained it, he'd have more than a chance as an Independent at the next election.

From BEFORE the election last year - https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/labour-party/news/85170/labour-mp-john-woodcock-i-cant-vote-jeremy-corbyn

The sad thing is, we know there are lots of his fellow MP's who feel exactly the same but can't do anything but vote for this because they'll lose the party whip if they don't. 

What on earth are you on about? There was no election last year.

He's been critical of Corbyn for ages yes, he's on the right of the party. I didn't dispute that.

His majority was slashed in 2017 and it's now tiny. He was suspended by Labour last year and quit the party and he now sits as an independent. He was challenged to call a by-election but shock horror, he said he'd serve the remainder of the term.

He will be annihilated next time it goes to the polls.

Just now, ealingfox said:

What on earth are you on about? There was no election last year.

He's been critical of Corbyn for ages yes, he's on the right of the party. I didn't dispute that.

His majority was slashed in 2017 and it's now tiny. He was suspended by Labour last year and quit the party and he now sits as an independent. He was challenged to call a by-election but shock horror, he said he'd serve the remainder of the term.

He will be annihilated next time it goes to the polls.

Apologies, I meant the election in 2017 - I assumed you would have realised that was what I meant.

He was considered a cert to lose, Copeland next door had gone to the Tories and he was about a 3/1 outsider to hold his seat.

In all likelihood him telling his constituency he wouldn't vote for Corbyn got him over the line - if Momentum want to send a candidate upto Barrow then it will be fun at the next election. 

7 minutes ago, MattP said:

Because a Marxist in no 10 would cause more economic damage than any Brexit could. 

So it's a given that Corbyn would win any election? I get the feeling too many Tory's are looking over the fence and concentrating on Corbyn, when their own party is bringing the country to its knees. 

Rees-Mogg is at the heart of the opposition within the Tory party and has done nothing to help get this Brexit issue sorted for the sake of the country. 

We are at deadlock. So what's gonna change?

3 minutes ago, RobHawk said:

So it's a given that Corbyn would win any election? I get the feeling too many Tory's are looking over the fence and concentrating on Corbyn, when their own party is bringing the country to its knees. 

Rees-Mogg is at the heart of the opposition within the Tory party and has done nothing to help get this Brexit issue sorted for the sake of the country. 

We are at deadlock. So what's gonna change?

Certainly not, I doubt he evens wants to win an election at the minute and inherit this problem. 

I still think the moderates from both parties will try and bring something to the house that can get a majority.

Might not be the worst thing in the World either to sideline the hard Brexiteers and the Peoples Vote extremists for a while as well. We might actually get on we some actual governing as well.

6 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Tom Watson putting in a blinder of a speech here. Far better than anything Jezza could whip up.

Watson and now Gove both putting in superb speeches, both on a different level to what May and Corbyn can produce. 

6 minutes ago, MattP said:

Apologies, I meant the election in 2017 - I assumed you would have realised that was what I meant.

He was considered a cert to lose, Copeland next door had gone to the Tories and he was about a 3/1 outsider to hold his seat.

In all likelihood him telling his constituency he wouldn't vote for Corbyn got him over the line - if Momentum want to send a candidate upto Barrow then it will be fun at the next election. 

Nope, because last year was 2018. I assumed you'd have known that. I certainly wouldn't have been surprised if you'd thought he had defended his seat after his suspension by Labour if someone you like had said it at some point. 

Equally you could say having the Labour Party under his name got him over the line. All conjecture.

Whoever it is that takes it off him, the fact remains that he's losing his seat at the next election and that's why he doesn't want one.

• Like 1

**** me she's actually a parody at this point isn't she lol , tories might as well try and roll the dice if she sticks by her promise of not running in the next GE imo. Only way Corbyn gets into number 10 is with May there and even then I think he's too divisive to win, it'll just make the government more of a minority government if she stays

3 minutes ago, MattP said:

Certainly not, I doubt he evens wants to win an election at the minute and inherit this problem. 

I still think the moderates from both parties will try and bring something to the house that can get a majority.

Might not be the worst thing in the World either to sideline the hard Brexiteers and the Peoples Vote extremists for a while as well. We might actually get on we some actual governing as well.

I agree, he doesn't want to inherit this problem. 

I'm just fed up of all the games and scarmongering. Rees-Mogg keeping it going today.

I am a past labour voter, but I am no fan of Corbyn either. But, Theresa IMHO needs to go, she's too stubborn to get us anywhere. 

The anti Corbyn stuff though. If we have an election and he is voted in, isn't that the will of the people. Isn't that the democratic process in action. Isnt that what Might has been saying about Brexit for the past 2/3 years. 

The hypocrisy is mind blowing. 

2 minutes ago, RobHawk said:

The anti Corbyn stuff though. If we have an election and he is voted in, isn't that the will of the people. Isn't that the democratic process in action. Isnt that what Might has been saying about Brexit for the past 2/3 years. 

The hypocrisy is mind blowing. 

I'm not aware anyone has said we shouldn't honour the vote if Corbyn is elected or have I missed something?