Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

What's in the news?

20 minutes ago, bovril said:

What happens in May if we're still in the EU? We take part in European elections?!

That's the biggest problem with having an extension to Article 50.

Possibly a daft question but if the no confidence vote passes and we have another GE, what happens with the article 50 deadline? We've got 10 weeks until that, and it's 100 days build up usually from being called that a GE happens, so would we end up just leaving during an election period?

Edited by The Doctor

Seems like we need to get puel in on this one so we can puel out asap.

All boring and lame jokes aside what an absolute disaster this has become.

Also i dont know about you but when it comes  to issues of seperation or leave i feel the number should be much higher at say 65%.  It has to be an absolute majority not over by 1% or 5%. 

44 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Possibly a daft question but if the no confidence vote passes and we have another GE, what happens with the article 50 deadline? We've got 10 weeks until that, and it's 100 days build up usually from being called that a GE happens, so would we end up just leaving during an election period?

An extension to A50 would have to happen for a General Election, just no feasible way for it to happen without it.

1 hour ago, The Doctor said:

We wouldn't just leave, delay would be ensured.

Under FTPA, there's a 14 day period for anyone to try to form a government that does have the confidence of the house but if not then parliament is dissolved and we get a GE. Parliament is dissolved for 25 working days (6 weeks). So that's 8 weeks which is just enough time but a new govt would then have to delay. The other thing is ministers still hold their office so Cabinet could meet to seek delay. 

Although actually I'm not sure how it works with the Withdrawal Act stating 'Brexit date', maybe ministers can't seek delay

Edited by Kopfkino

12 hours ago, MattP said:

lol

IMG_20190115_225654.jpg

Interesting use of the PMs head on an extinct bird. Where are Gillette, surely it's anti-woman or anti-bird or anti-constitutional to portray this type of image. If it was the prophet heads would literally roll.

1 hour ago, bovril said:

What happens in May if we're still in the EU? We take part in European elections?!

The month or the person?

So we voted to leave the EU.

But there are arguments about the meaning.

• Leave the European Court of Justice (which is not technically part of the EU -  but is used by it)?
  • Should we also stay in the Common Market (some pro-Brexit politicans said we would stay in the Common Market)?
  • The Council of Europe is also not part of the EU, so do we stay in that?
  • Etc etc.

May got a deal. But her party and pro-brexiters don't like it. And the democratically elected MPs rejected it.

So what now?

• Ignore the MPs and use May's deal?
  • Put another Tory in charge and try to get a better deal - but can he or she?
  • Have a no deal?
  • Have a second referendum - but that was going to be on the deal, and the MPs have rejected it.
  • If we do a referendum on the deal, what happens if it's rejected by both the people and the MPs?
  • Have general election - and afterwards still not know what we're doing?
  • Have a general election and use Corbyn to get a better deal - but can he?

At this point, the extreme right are increasing using Brexit to shout loader and loader. And, in addition, there are people who don't think we need a deal with the world's largest trading block and our biggest trading partner. If we had a no deal we could say "We went through with it, it ****ed us economically - we need to do something different." But the problem is: there are mothers in this country without the food to feed their children - is it reponsible to them to do something that is, in my opinion, economically reckless?

Edited by Foxxed

Slightly upbeat.  Despite the snapping dogs and the those that are pushing their own agendas ..   Sturgeon, Bercow, Corbyn ...      MP’s are waking up to the fact that they are fvckin up the future of this country.  Those over the water thought they might have it (and us) in the bag ...   but they haven’t ...   and there sounds like a little bit more desperation to their tone ..    “Make your mind up, time is running out !! “ ..   not so smug now.    Fingers crossed we move forward together now ...    although I’m not holding my breath.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bovril said:

3 hours ago, MattP said:

That's the biggest problem with having an extension to Article 50.

The assumption at the moment is that we won't take part in the elections. In practical terms, I wonder what the latest possible date is that we could opt back in if there is an A50 extension?

The Euro elections are LATE May, so opting back in at the last minute would be 7-8 weeks before the elections.....possibly still feasible.

There's been talk of it being feasible for MEPs to be elected in the UK even if the Brexit situation isn't resolved until July - because although MEPs are elected in May, the European Parliament won't sit until July.

A political, rather than a practical issue, though.....

It seems highly likely that Euro elections in the UK held while Brexit was still being resolved would lead to:

(1) A seriously vicious campaign & potential public conflict

(2) A massive upsurge in support for UKIP among Brexiteer voters....

UKIP has done very well before in Euro elections, but it could cause a lot more problems this time, given UKIP's drift from a Eurosceptic, populist party to a part of the Far Right under the new leadership with its adviser Tommy Robinson etc.

The only way through this now is for no deal.  The irresponsible nature of how this whole thing has been handled has left that as the only real option.

They have to pursue that hoping amongst all hope that one of two things happen.  Firstly, the many are wrong and the few are right.  It’s an overwhelming success, we have a year or two of I told you so and we go back to normal or secondly, it is an absolute disaster.  Jobs are lost, investment vanishes, the pound plummets further and many, many people die of a lack of medicine leaving in no uncertain terms, that the people who pushed for it are responsible and have deliberately misled the electorate on a false premise.  There follows a year or two of I told you so and we re-join and go back to normal.

There is not a deal on the face of the earth that will wash with a big enough majority of the HOC or the people to unite the country again.

The Conservative Party are responsible for the most unnecessary and divisive course of action the country has seen in modern times.  If anyone still chooses to vote for them in the future, it should only be done in the most reluctant of circumstance.

• Like 1

I'm not convinced any of the other idiots would have done any better to be honest.  When you stand back and look, the mistake was triggering article in the first place without a strategy agreed.  What did we actually want?  How would we convince the EU to agree?  What was in it for them?  The complete lack of a clear objective, and a strategy on how to achieve it are now so very obvious. The only realistic outcome now is to postpone for 1 year and plan properly for no deal exit.

Gotta wonder what the point of delaying the vote was. All it's done is waste and time and if anything solidify the support against Mays deal. 

I gotta say for her part in this, I think Mays only got herself to blame. It's the biggest and most decisive issue in modern times. She's managed to create a deal that everyone hates. She's asked all sides to compromise but stuck to her red lines and refused to budge herself. 

Even now, when she needs to lead all of parliament through the biggest political crisis I've ever seen, she has no interest in speaking to the opposition and is only going to try and win over the Tory rebels and the DUP. 

The ERG will never be happy with any deal May will propose. Tonight is their chance to try and sieze power if they want it, but I can't see anything other than May in government in the morning. It's a poisoned chalice and they know it. 

David Cameron still the biggest culprit in all of this and I see today he says he doesn't regret having the referendum and leaving the country in this state. I think when the dust finally settled on all of this History will have him go down as one of the worst PMs in history. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ian Nacho said:

What a waste of a few weeks it has been to the inevitable defeat of the deal. Another waste of a day today with the no confidence vote being debated. Either leave the EU doing it properly or don't bother at all. 

What I find strange...They knew it was going to be defeated..but just like the original  Brexit-descision...and every single Brexit turn,

they have NEVER been prepared.....The electorate should not just be asking for a general Election..but demanding both major parties,

Put up a complete new-wave-generation of Politicians,before they are willing again to go to the polling-booths!!!

Same incompetent Politicians,have no business to lead UK politics into the future........!!!I

29 minutes ago, LiberalFox said:

She thought she could trigger A50 then use that as a springboard to get a landslide majority which would give the authority to do what she pleased. We were always going to be a shambles trying to negotiate without a government majority.

Her biggest problem has been she's gone through this negotiation as if she has that majority. Almost this blind faith that MPs would follow her regardless. 

I'm not sure if she's just really stubborn or has a huge lack of self awareness. Either way she's ****ed it right up. 

Even today after the worst defeat in parliament for any government ever, she's still sticking to her red lines. We will never get anything through parliament as long as she's running the show. 

On 13/01/2019 at 17:13, bovril said:

Neil Warnock came out as pro-Brexit. Which is up there with Ricky Martin coming out as gay. 

Thankfully, Cardiff City have issued a statement clarifying that Warnock's Brexit views "do not reflect the political position of the club": :D

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46862847?ns_campaign=bbc_match_of_the_day&ns_mchannel=social&ns_linkname=sport&ns_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR1rsglZhLnumZsQZWHcW7g1zlQ18mnivWTRYDuDiRrKLgxybh5YrND-UlA

That's a relief. I thought I was going to have to get my marker pens and a bit of cardboard to protest about that, next time we play them. I wonder what the LCFC "political position" is on Brexit? Or Millwall? Chelsea? Celtic? Rangers?

Mind you, someone should let Warnock know that the idea is to exit the EU, not the world as a whole....

"I can't wait to get out of it, if I'm honest. I think we'll be far better out of the thing - in every aspect, football-wise as well, absolutely. To hell with the rest of the world."