Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

What's in the news?

56 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

This will go to another referendum.  

Second time round it would be nice to see truths being told rather than lies.  Quite an important decision to get right.

The fact that there are people out there who would back a No Deal baffles me.  The value of the pound has been troubled for ages and a No Deal takes us over the edge and into oblivion.  Say goodbye to reasonably priced holidays abroad.

I hope it doesn’t go to another referendum but if it does, there should be absolutely no campaigning allowed on either side.

Publish the options and the actual ramifications of each options only.  

Sure as houses if campaigns are allowed, there’ll be twice the amount of bullshit going on.

1 hour ago, davieG said:

If we rule out the No Deal option we have zero bargaining power. We might just as well say to the EU tell us what you'll let us have.

My mate down the pub said something similar ....    but it was more turn round drop your keks bend over and say ...  :whistle:

1 hour ago, yorkie1999 said:

Yes, we'll work with the government as long as a no-deal brexit is not on the table. The house won't agree to the only deal the eu will agree to, so it'll end up being another referendum which, if it goes the other way, will piss of 17 million uk citizens, many of whom are probably willing to march and riot on london. Now's the time to open a union jack shop.

it'll take 12-18 months to arrange another referendum, apparently - doubt that will happen.

At the moment the legal position is we leave the EU with no deal in a couple of weeks.

One of the ideas being floated is to offer MP's a set of options that they choose in order of preference ( a bit like how the Tories select a new party leader), rather that the binary yes/no on May's deal. This eliminates the less popular aspects of the deal whilst highlighting the more popular bits. The part of the deal that is least popular is eliminated and so on...

Could be fun!

8 minutes ago, Milo said:

it'll take 12-18 months to arrange another referendum, apparently - doubt that will happen.

At the moment the legal position is we leave the EU with no deal in a couple of weeks.

One of the ideas being floated is to offer MP's a set of options that they choose in order of preference ( a bit like how the Tories select a new party leader), rather that the binary yes/no on May's deal. This eliminates the less popular aspects of the deal whilst highlighting the more popular bits. The part of the deal that is least popular is eliminated and so on...

Could be fun!

You have to get the EU to agree to parts that become eliminated, otherwise it’s a pointless exercise. People need to accept, It’s Mays withdrawal agreement, a shelf agreement or no deal! There are not any other options.....

2 minutes ago, Strokes said:

You have to get the EU to agree to parts that become eliminated, otherwise it’s a pointless exercise. People need to accept, It’s Mays withdrawal agreement, a shelf agreement or no deal! There are not any other options.....

Indeed, I think the idea was to get a house consensus to take to the EU and then renegotiate. I assume that the EU would be open to a new deal rather than the current no deal situation (?)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Milo said:

Indeed, I think the idea was to get a house consensus to take to the EU and then renegotiate. I assume that the EU would be open to a new deal rather than the current no deal situation (?)

I don’t think there is much wiggle room beyond platitudes.....

26 minutes ago, Milo said:

Could be fun!

I think they should have a suggestion box, every mp should put one idea that they want in it, give it a shuffle, and the first 20 ideas should be the proposal to the eu. 

By the way - I have been thinking about the merits of starting a Puel in/out EU in/out thread...

Is there a correlation between those that want Puel out (or in) and those that want to leave the EU (or stay).

It would be interesting to know if the majority of people that voted leave want Puel out, or vice versa. 

I think it might be an interesting social experiment, maybe on risk taking/conservatism or a kind of experimental anaylsis of social psychology of individuals, groups or dyads on the thread...or a sure way to get a thread shut down  :D

• Like 1

Amazing.

May went and got a Brexit. But we didn't want that Brexit.

Then May went and got a 'new' Brexit. And we didn't want that Brexit either.

But we do want May.

So May will try to get another new Brexit. And we probably won't want that Brexit either.

But the clock ticks.

And when the clock has ticked, do we use May's Brexit? Or do we look at the EU, and shrug. And say "dunno. wot u wanna do?"

Solid. Solid.

20 minutes ago, Milo said:

By the way - I have been thinking about the merits of starting a Puel in/out EU in/out thread...

Is there a correlation between those that want Puel out (or in) and those that want to leave the EU (or stay).

It would be interesting to know if the majority of people that voted leave want Puel out, or vice versa. 

I think it might be an interesting social experiment, maybe on risk taking/conservatism or a kind of experimental anaylsis of social psychology of individuals, groups or dyads on the thread...or a sure way to get a thread shut down  :D

I’m Puel in but voted leave, so I’m half a tit.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Milo said:

I think our friend @lifted*fox made this correlation in the Safehouse thread recently.

In his usual, direct, straight between the eyes, no BS kinda style :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I think our friend @lifted*fox made this correlation in the Safehouse thread recently.

In his usual, direct, straight between the eyes, no BS kinda style :D

Ah - I left the safe house when it became a little less safe, so missed it. 

Anyway, great minds and all that..!!!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I’m Puel in but voted leave, so I’m half a tit.

8 minutes ago, Charl91 said:

I'm a remainer but want Puel out.

Leaver and on the fence, but forced to make a decision Puel in.

10 hours ago, davieG said:

Neil O'Brien voted in favour of the Brexit deal
(Harborough, Conservative)

Yeah, happy to confirm my mp is one of the select few bellends who voted for it (david tredinnick - hinckley) Good to see im well represented ?

Interesting to see that a tory mp backed his boss but blamed her for the mess, so i  reality, theres a good chance only theresa thought it was a good deal, and we all know she was a remainer until career progression(?!?!?!?????) came up, so basically just the eu thought it was good.

Thats some negotiating skills to xome back with something everybody hated. Its about the only thing the country jas agreed on since this sorry mess started.

Well done tess, you have united the nation, now **** off.

9 hours ago, Foxxed said:

So we voted to leave the EU.

But there are arguments about the meaning.

• Leave the European Court of Justice (which is not technically part of the EU -  but is used by it)?
  • Should we also stay in the Common Market (some pro-Brexit politicans said we would stay in the Common Market)?
  • The Council of Europe is also not part of the EU, so do we stay in that?
  • Etc etc.

May got a deal. But her party and pro-brexiters don't like it. And the democratically elected MPs rejected it.

So what now?

• Ignore the MPs and use May's deal?
  • Put another Tory in charge and try to get a better deal - but can he or she?
  • Have a no deal?
  • Have a second referendum - but that was going to be on the deal, and the MPs have rejected it.
  • If we do a referendum on the deal, what happens if it's rejected by both the people and the MPs?
  • Have general election - and afterwards still not know what we're doing?
  • Have a general election and use Corbyn to get a better deal - but can he?

At this point, the extreme right are increasing using Brexit to shout loader and loader. And, in addition, there are people who don't think we need a deal with the world's largest trading block and our biggest trading partner. If we had a no deal we could say "We went through with it, it ****ed us economically - we need to do something different." But the problem is: there are mothers in this country without the food to feed their children - is it reponsible to them to do something that is, in my opinion, economically reckless?

The best quote to some this up was from juncker. How can we do a deal with uk when we dont know what they want?

And we managed to trump that with "we cant tell you because we dont ****ing lnow ourselves"

Classic. If this was a tv program, it wouldnt get past the pilot its that ****ing ridiculous.

8 hours ago, Realist Guy In The Room said:

The only way through this now is for no deal.  The irresponsible nature of how this whole thing has been handled has left that as the only real option.

They have to pursue that hoping amongst all hope that one of two things happen.  Firstly, the many are wrong and the few are right.  It’s an overwhelming success, we have a year or two of I told you so and we go back to normal or secondly, it is an absolute disaster.  Jobs are lost, investment vanishes, the pound plummets further and many, many people die of a lack of medicine leaving in no uncertain terms, that the people who pushed for it are responsible and have deliberately misled the electorate on a false premise.  There follows a year or two of I told you so and we re-join and go back to normal.

There is not a deal on the face of the earth that will wash with a big enough majority of the HOC or the people to unite the country again.

The Conservative Party are responsible for the most unnecessary and divisive course of action the country has seen in modern times.  If anyone still chooses to vote for them in the future, it should only be done in the most reluctant of circumstance.

When talk of a general election came up, i was stumped. Cant vote tory as they caused this shit. Cant vote labour as their actions have also made them a joke. Lib dems proved they are pointless in the coalition and disagree with their stance on the defence issues.

Ukip are now the swastika party even more so than before.

Bring back screaming lord sutch. Hed make pm in this era.

• Haha 2