Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

What's in the news?

Just now, MattP said:

It means a lot. It's quite a change in position.

I said to @Alf Bentley last month or so I'll even be prepared to leave on a Norway type deal now, not ideal but I've become that pissed off with extremists now on both sides, the ERG head bangers demanding everything and the second referendum mob trying to overturn a result as they lost.

Given the severity of this, what parliament now needs is level heads, negotiation and compromise instead of two parties playing games and using it to try and further their own means.

A general election most probably doesn't solve the arithmetic, a second vote doesn't solve the issue - the moderates in the two main parties now have to work out how to get 326 votes to get something through, the job they are paid to do. 

I'd agree with this. It needed all those things from the start unfortunately. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MattP said:

It means a lot. It's quite a change in position.

I said to @Alf Bentley last month or so I'll even be prepared to leave on a Norway type deal now, not ideal but I've become that pissed off with extremists now on both sides, the ERG head bangers demanding everything and the second referendum mob trying to overturn a result as they lost.

Given the severity of this, what parliament now needs is level heads, negotiation and compromise instead of two parties playing games and using it to try and further their own means.

A general election most probably doesn't solve the arithmetic, a second vote doesn't solve the issue - the moderates in the two main parties now have to work out how to get 326 votes to get something through, the job they are paid to do. 

Glad you clarified, it read like the sort of thing you read on the sun website otherwise.

Funnily enough, Norway would possibly get my support too now. Whilst I sort of want a second ref I do have some unease about it also.

The biggest issue in all of this is that the government should have sought a middle way to begin with - which was what I said many, many months ago - not a Brexit simply for Brexiteers, but one the whole country could put up with. It would require both sides to accept give and take, but if TM had been a true leader she would have made that happen.

Instead she has sought to divide. And that has an impact. She could have led a sensible public discourse instead of feeding the mentalist red top bilge with her talk of no deal being an option. I entirely blame the government for the mess we're in now.

Though to beat you to it, I haven't been happy with Labour's approach either.  I suspect a GE now would see the Tories on 35%, labour 30%, lib dems and ukip on 15%. It feels like everybody has disenfranchised pretty much everybody else.

What a horrible time for our country. 

Edited by Toddybad
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Even if the will of the public majority was to leave with a deal, I'm sure you and I would still prefer we get out of this on some technicality and end up remaining. 

Which was pretty much theresas deal imo,which has even surprised me with how many mp's (of whom it must surely be universally accepted are far more pro remain than the general public) have proved to be so overwhelmingly against it.

In response to ids knowing more than bank of England.  Ids is optimistic, bank of england is pessimistic (simplified i know) but that is their job. Working in finance it is the general underlying principle of prudence to assumile the worst, budget for the worst, and only accept gopd news when it is certain.

Nothing is certain in this other than uncertainty and lota of wait and see.

Re boris vs ceo of jaguar. The (hopefully but imo liikely)  uncertainty will no doubt cost him his job as in the short term they will suffer. I wont spend £40k on a car right now, mostly due to diesel etc (and can't afford it) whereas Boris has more faith in the long game (and probably gummy bears knowing him)

The truth is that there were lots of lied from both sides but there are educated self employed people out there, entrepreneurs who the future success of the country will be down to, who are not scared of the risks and genuinely believe it will be for the greater good.

If not, **** it, jump in with both feet and take the euro as well.

All or nothing. Right now id take nothing and see how the eu get on with the aftermath.

34 minutes ago, gw_leics772 said:

Which was pretty much theresas deal imo,which has even surprised me with how many mp's (of whom it must surely be universally accepted are far more pro remain than the general public) have proved to be so overwhelmingly against it.

In response to ids knowing more than bank of England.  Ids is optimistic, bank of england is pessimistic (simplified i know) but that is their job. Working in finance it is the general underlying principle of prudence to assumile the worst, budget for the worst, and only accept gopd news when it is certain.

Nothing is certain in this other than uncertainty and lota of wait and see.

Re boris vs ceo of jaguar. The (hopefully but imo liikely)  uncertainty will no doubt cost him his job as in the short term they will suffer. I wont spend £40k on a car right now, mostly due to diesel etc (and can't afford it) whereas Boris has more faith in the long game (and probably gummy bears knowing him)

The truth is that there were lots of lied from both sides but there are educated self employed people out there, entrepreneurs who the future success of the country will be down to, who are not scared of the risks and genuinely believe it will be for the greater good.

If not, **** it, jump in with both feet and take the euro as well.

All or nothing. Right now id take nothing and see how the eu get on with the aftermath.

The euro and blue passports! ? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mike Oxlong said:

I have no particular political leaning and in this context I feel able to note that there’s someting hugely ironic about Corbyn tabling a motion of no confidence

Whole thing is mental.

He's tabling a motion of no confidence he'll know he loses, in the hope he wins, so he can then fight an election he doesn't want, on a platform to re-negotiate a deal that he has just told everyone can't be re-negotiated. 

54 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

I’m not sure why the BBC feel the need to send their presenters to Westminster and sit outside, the studio would of done.

The BBC have been an embarrassment the past 24 hours - especially 5 Live.

Presenters wetting thier knickers like it’s Xmas Eve and desperately trying to jazz it all up. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Presenters wetting thier knickers like it’s Xmas Eve and desperately trying to jazz it all up. 

I think the BBC trying to transform itself in to modern click bait is annoying. 

But surely you can't criticise them for making a big deal out of yesterday? It's by far the most important news story to all of us whatever you want to happen, since the referendum itself. 

3 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I think the BBC trying to transform itself in to modern click bait is annoying. 

But surely you can't criticise them for making a big deal out of yesterday? It's by far the most important news story to all of us whatever you want to happen, since the referendum itself. 

I don’t mind them making a big deal of it but I don’t expect the likes of Nicky Campbell and Tony Livsey to act like shrieking 12 year old school girls from dawn til dusk.

Just expected a bit more professionalism from them that’s all.

59 minutes ago, Izzy said:

If it's not Andrew Neil or Emily Maitlis presenting the BBC just isn't worth watching with regards to politics anymore, although I think Fiona Bruce did start well on Question Time last week.

Although if you think that's bad from a former universally respected outlet there was a classic in Private Eye a month or so ago, at the Independent (now pure clickbait) someone leaked an e-mail from an editor asking the staff for more stories of "hot teachers getting it on with under-age students" - which reminded me of the"niceeeee" South Park episode.

59 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

These politicians are an embarrassment, supposedly running our country and yet it’s in complete turmoil, what a farce.

"Cross party talks", yet May not proposing to talk with Corbyn or other party leaders.