Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxes_rule1978

Post Match: City 0 - 1 Cardiff

17 minutes ago, Pete from the USA said:

Sorry to interrupt all the bellyaching, but I'm really pleased with the performance so far over the holiday period, 6 of 9 possible points. No way they were going to turn out a third perormance with intensity of the Chelsea and man city games. Hoping for at least a point against Everton.

With hindsight,  we should have played the carrabao cup side ....couldn’t have been a worse outcome ......

• Like 1

So the bickering commences..... I can’t say whether Puel is the right man long term or not as unfortunately I can’t see into the future... however it is abundantly clear that the there has probably not been a such divided view on a Leicester manager. That being said I never like to hear booing at a game, however if fans wish to vent their frustrations in this way they are entitled to do so and no one can change that. 

One thing that is concerning is the apparently lack of consistency, it’s not so much losing games, it’s the manner in which games are being lost due to the performance. Performances are largely appreciated over a result if there is a clear display of desire, which on occasion this season (probably more often than not) hasn’t always been obvious. On many occasions we’ve lost games looking clueless, and looking like there isn’t an ounce of creativity in us, and that is why there are concerns with Puel, for how long can the excuse of a “transition” be used when more often than not there is no real evidence of this? just a lack of quality and understanding. I am very much sat on the fence, but games like today often leave me wondering if Puel is the right man LONG TERM, to take us forward.    

In my opinion we could be playing a lot better than we are, we probably should be challenging Man U for sixth place, but what is the reason to our disappointing inconsistency? Is it Puel, is it the players capacity to understand his style? Or are we actually not quite on that level? 

It sounds ridiculous to be thinking like this when we’re sat in 8th, but I genuinely believe we are underachieving and the past two games coupled with today prove this.

• Like 1

Just a few points of information

Maddison took and converted a penalty v Bournemouth earlier in the season - he probably was the natural choice in Vardys absence  - some practice is called for methinks...

for those slating Vardy - he is carrying an injury, his continued presence in the team is a sign of how desperate the manager is to find a viable frontline - that Vardy always gives his all and often plays while ill,or injured is a testament to his character not something to criticise him for....

Furthermore his style is more likely to lead to fatigue than say that of Iheanacho 

And while I can understand the premise of Vardy saying he doesn’t suit the Puel style you have to ask yourself what kind of striker would suit it? I really don’t get what attributes would suit a style of play which produces so few chances..

4 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Shut result but not a dreadful performance by any means. Had enough chances to win the game including a penalty. Why is every loss treated like a crisis on here?

Isn't this a case of winning the "wrong" game? If we'd lost to Man City and won today, I think the reaction (including my own) would be different. Obviously you want to win them all but it's been a trait for years- we put in a great show against a good side then lose to a struggler and the frustration grows.

• Like 2

Just now, Corky said:

Isn't this a case of winning the "wrong" game? If we'd lost to Man City and won today, I think the reaction (including my own) would be different. Obviously you want to win them all but it's been a trait for years- we put in a great show against a good side then lose to a struggler and the frustration grows.

I get what you're saying although the end result would be the same and Puel would've still taken pelters if we'd have lost to Man City no doubt. It's frustrating don't get me wrong but it ain't as bad as people like to make out. 6 points from those 3 games is an above average return whichever way you wanna look at it

Few points from today:

- it was really boring

- i think maddison is a cheat and it pisses me off

- demarai Gray hasn’t improved as a footballer in 3 years and is still piss poor

- Vardy getting over 10 goals in this side would be a miracle

- our most creative player is our right back 

- I don’t ever want to see Mendy and ndidi in a 2 ever again 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

It's all theoretical, you prat. Given that you had no valuable response I'll assume you've taken my points on board. Cheers.

But you want to actually sack him. You would actually sack him. The grim chutzpah of a rank footballing no mark deciding that based on his amateur hour theories someone should get the sack is somewhere between laughable and disgusting. 

Plus, c'mon... that latest post is the work of a undersexed, over-rubbed 15 year old. All it needed was 'I rest my case' to complete it. 

Edited by turtmcfly

2 hours ago, inckley fox said:

Fine, he didn't set the world alight without a great deal of supply. But you wanted to single him out in your post as being worse than Gray, Maddison, and that to me is a huge over-simplification of what happened and what's happening.

Firstly and most obviously it's overlooking the wider problems. The fact that Vardy is, more than any other individual in the squad, the person most responsible for Puel still being in a job over a period of time. And that, no matter who we've played up front, they've suffered from a miserable lack of supply whenever any side - usually an inferior team - snuffs out the option of the counter. 

More than that, though, you're singling him out by saying he was the worst player for either side, which he certainly wasn't. If your diagnosis after that game - which was symptomatic of many of our other games this, and last, season - is that our striker (and, over Puel's reign, our best player) is our obvious problem, rather than the shape, the two defensive mids, the approach play, or the five man midfield which in games like this always seems to struggle to create, then we'll go round and round in circles until Puel is fired. If we play Iheanacho, Okazaki, Gray, Slimani or anyone else up there, they'll find it (and have found it) tough too because of our set-up when we're required to take the game to the opposition.

And it's not the first time, by any stretch, that I've seen Vardy singled out when, of all the many possible reasons for our failure, he's a good way down the line. In this case, it's clear to see that he's one of the lesser reasons for our loss simply because if we'd have kept him on for 10 more minutes we'd most probably have gone 1-0 up, regardless of how tired he may have been or how unsuited to the game he was. So how he's high on the list of culprits for a result which unfolded after he left the field is beyond me.

Is this an unsubstantiated conviction that the old guard are ganging up on Puel to undermine him? Is it that you're focusing too much on the single most obvious shortcoming in our game (i.e. lack of goals = our goalscorer isn't good enough)? Because I don't get how anyone could think that the supply for Vardy was anywhere near adequate today, nor for the bulk of games we've played this season at home and against mid-lower table opposition. 

We have a few serious issues, the most obvious of which is our midfield's inability to create ample chances for anyone - any striker, any midfielder - when sides sit deep. As graceful as Maddison looks at times, we simply don't play slow build-up football effectively, and aren't willing to switch quickly to a high press when it's not working. I'm a Puel-Inner, like you I believe, and I agree with most of your analysis but I can't go along with the singling out of Vardy. And sadly, I think that's a common trait of many fellow Puelites.

You use a lot of words to say absolutely nothing of value.

Is supply good enough? No, absolutely not, although that's not the full story - let's be clear, Vardy has missed 10 big chances already this season, he missed 12 in the previous 2 seasons combined. He can't hide behind bad service and pretend there's no issue with his own showing.

But, let's assume that it's all service and nothing to do with consistently poor finishing from him - does that absolve Vardy from being unable to control a bag of cement, from being a yard slower than normal, from missing yet another 1v1. No. We both know if Iheanacho put in the performance Vardy did, there'd be a 20 page long thread demanding his blood and a petition to have him deported.

He's probably the best striker we've had in half a century (Mancini, Lineker, Heskey all had their best years away from the club) but he was abysmal today. That's not on anyone else, poor control and bad movement is on him and people need to stop making excuses for his poor form. I could easily be convinced it's that he's still carrying an injury and isn't firing on all cylinders - in which case he needs to be rested, which would be helped if it didn't coincidentally leak to the press before every game if he is

• Like 2

There should be teams that can determine the pace of a game, in this case a home game against a newcomer, like Cardiff. Our team plays from the beginning in slow motion, from the first to the last minute. You might think we have too many games, like teams playing Champions League or Euro League. We had some games in the League Cup and now Boxing Day, but that's about it. The team lacks sprightliness and presumably also on condition. I watch a lot of different Premier League games, but hardly any team has a slower playmaking, playing slower passes like us. You could ask the manager what he is training with the team during the week. Watching this season is not a lot of fun, it can only get better, but for that we need a dynamic manager who can excite players even from the sideline. Unfortunately, Puel can not do that....

• Like 1

I think those who continue to defend Puel need to tell us what evidence they can provide that his methods are likely to bring the success we crave. His record at Southampton tends to suggest what we are experiencing now is not transition to a successful team but a typical Puel team shorn of confidence by being asked to overthink something called playing style. The last manager who seemed so intent on imposing his style on a team who didn’t seem to take to it was Louis Van Gaal at United. Ponderous football played around a well set defence requires pinpoint passing to break into the box and create chances. It’s extremely difficult to play and relatively easy to defend against. It is undoubtedly exhilarating when it works. Arsenal did it for years under Wenger - who is the closest to a CP mentor - and on form they were the most exciting team in the country. But well-disciplined, talented and experienced defenders could deal with it and Arsenal won relatively little in AWs latter years. 

Coming back to Leicester - I see Pereira as a great signing, Maddison the same. Soyuncu and Benkovic are promising. The introduction of Choudhury and favouring Chilwell over Fuchs are to be praised. But the style of play sees us unable to dominate our opponents (3-1 Huddersfield h) is our most dominant result this season and makes it extremely difficult to score goals. How many goals have we scored from open play? How many have actually been on the old-style counter? How many goals have come in the dying embers of a game when we are already defeated - certainly one against United and two more against Bournemouth. Simple things are not put right. Detailed things which might make a difference in matches. So many of our attacks push our full,backs into space out wide who then cross to a box full of giant opponents hoping to find the lone and tiny head of Vardy. Our corners are woeful. Our central midfielders can’t shoot. Demarai Gray can’t shoot. Our penalties are woeful. And all these things can be improved in ways which will increase our chance of scoring, increase our chance of winning. And when that happens players begin to play with freedom and confidence and the whole idea of style is forgotten.

• Haha 1

I'm finding today's defeat pretty hard to take. A part of me could see it coming a mile off. Beat 2 of the big 6 in a row, so what other possible outcome against one of the worst sides in the league than a home loss? But still, I thought maybe, just maybe, we'd turned a corner and might enjoy a comfortable, straightforward win when it was expected.

I feel like people will think I'm spoilt. We're top half and we've just beaten Chelsea away and Man City. Maybe they're right, but it's so frustrating to keep failing to break weak teams down at home time and time again. Puel has to sort this out soon, or the crowd will turn to the point where his job is untenable, no matter how many shock wins we get over the big names.

Honestly, though, I think I'd be in a much better mood if it wasn't fuching Cardiff we lost to. I can't stand them. I wouldn't mind a result like this so much against anyone else in the league. It was bad enough to lose to them, but then I heard it was their first away win of the season. That wasn't nice to hear. Then I heard they'd only got 2 points on the road before today. Sickening. Can't remember Bombscare Bamba ever playing half that well for us.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, smudgerfox said:

Just a few points of information

Maddison took and converted a penalty v Bournemouth earlier in the season - he probably was the natural choice in Vardys absence  - some practice is called for methinks...

for those slating Vardy - he is carrying an injury, his continued presence in the team is a sign of how desperate the manager is to find a viable frontline - that Vardy always gives his all and often plays while ill,or injured is a testament to his character not something to criticise him for....

Furthermore his style is more likely to lead to fatigue than say that of Iheanacho 

And while I can understand the premise of Vardy saying he doesn’t suit the Puel style you have to ask yourself what kind of striker would suit it? I really don’t get what attributes would suit a style of play which produces so few chances..

16 shots today, 7 on target.

I'm getting fed up of people saying stuff that's just not true. 

Today was just one of those days where you control the game, don't take your chances (because obviously, the manager is training them not to) and live to regret it. I'm struggling to remember the last time someone scored a goal against us that wasn't a very impressive strike from outside the box.

1 hour ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

I didnt see Vardy scoring today unless we had a pen (might not have got one with him on the pitch). He really.wasnt his usual self

I see you were at the game today... but how many matches have you actually been to this season?

Because Vardy looked his usual, isolated self to me. This happens at the vast majority of games.

1 minute ago, Raw Dykes said:

I'm finding today's defeat pretty hard to take. A part of me could see it coming a mile off. Beat 2 of the big 6 in a row, so what other possible outcome against one of the worst sides in the league than a home loss? But still, I thought maybe, just maybe, we'd turned a corner and might enjoy a comfortable, straightforward win when it was expected.

I feel like people will think I'm spoilt. We're top half and we've just beaten Chelsea away and Man City. Maybe they're right, but it's so frustrating to keep failing to break weak teams down at home time and time again. Puel has to sort this out soon, or the crowd will turn to the point where his job is untenable, no matter how many shock wins we get over the big names.

Honestly, though, I think I'd be in a much better mood if it wasn't fuching Cardiff we lost to. I can't stand them. I wouldn't mind a result like this so much against anyone else in the league. It was bad enough to lose to them, but then I heard it was their first away win of the season. That wasn't nice to hear. Then I heard they'd only got 2 points on the road before today. Sickening. Can't remember Bombscare Bamba ever playing half that well for us.

It's frustrating of course but it's not like we didn't create decent chances. It's hard to criticise Puel for us not taking those chances or missing a penalty. There have been games where it's totally justifiable to be negative about his playing style but I don't think today was one of those games

RBy the way in recent times our record against the top six is not as great as some are suggesting - implying that the recent run of results is just an extension of the Leicester psyche...beating the top six, losing to lesser lights..

Since we won the PL we’ve barely got close to beating the top six teams unless you count last springs end of season jaunts against Arsenal and Spurs...(and we still lost to Spurs)

Even when we won the league our points haul was 

Man U 2

Man City 4

Arsenal 0

Liverpool 3

Spurs 4

chelsea 4

We won the league by routinely beating the mid table and bottom table teams home and away

Edited by smudgerfox

7 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

16 shots today, 7 on target.

I'm getting fed up of people saying stuff that's just not true. 

Today was just one of those days where you control the game, don't take your chances (because obviously, the manager is training them not to) and live to regret it. I'm struggling to remember the last time someone scored a goal against us that wasn't a very impressive strike from outside the box.

But these are stats - they don’t tell you anything. The shots will include the pitiful effort by Gray which ended up in row z. The shots on target will include one where either he or Chilwell cut in from the left nd chipped it into the goalies arms. What I saw with my own eyes was a team which plays some nice football up to the edge of the box but - Pereira apart - has little idea what to do once there...its because at this point in the field  forward runs have to be well timed to beat the offside trap and passes have to be extremely accurate to the player making the forward run...

16 minutes ago, Fosse93 said:

I see you were at the game today... but how many matches have you actually been to this season?

Because Vardy looked his usual, isolated self to me. This happens at the vast majority of games.

Been to 3. I saw Man City and Burnley

Hate to bash Vardz but he missed a very good chance against Burnley aswell

Man City we did alright