Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BlueThroughandThrough

Summer rebuilding of the squad

49 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

No need to keep Wes.  We have more than enough cover in this area.  even if Harry leaves.  We simply cannot hold back any of the younger CB’s at the expense of Wes any longer.   

I don't think we need to keep Wes, but I do think we will keep him.

I think we'll struggle to shift him with the wages he's on at his age, and having such a young back line is risky in the short term so a bit of extra experience in the squad from our club captain can only help. Note that I don't think he should play - or even make the bench - most weeks. Cup fixtures and backup in case of injury is about the extent of what I think he'll get. In January his contract will only have 6 months left to run so I can see him going on loan back to forest with us subsidising his wages a bit.

Wouldn't surprise me actually if we did a deal with Forest to take one of our youngsters (Knight/Hughes?) on loan for the first half of the season then swap them for Morgan in Jan.

4 minutes ago, m4DD0gg said:

LMFAO

Whats so funny about that? Last summer was our best transfer window in years.

We got a pair of promising center backs for the future, an experienced (but younger than Wes) CB for the transition period, one of the most promising English youngsters at AM and someone who is turning out to be one of the best wingbacks in the entire league. The only questionable signing imo is Ghezzal who - although he hasn't hit the ground running - hasn't been bad, per se.

Apart from striker we fixed pretty much all the issues we had before the summer. New issues have arisen because of things like Vardy/Ndidi/Mendy's poor form, but in itself the summer was bloody brilliant for us.

• Like 2

The out of contract players such as Shinji, Simpson, Fuchs etc will obviously leave (all with our blessings and best wishes for being the legends that they were) and we desperately need to offload Slimani.  However, as good as it is to see youth being developed we still need to keep some balance with a few older heads to guide and nurture them.  To this end I wouldn't be surprised if we signed someone along the lines of Delph or someone else who has played at the top levels but may be nearing the end of their careers.  These types of players are often brought in as much, if not more so for their potential coaching/mentoring as playing abilities.  A great example was Kevin Phillips, who if the reports are correct was instrumental in helping Vardy make the step up.

Someone like for Eg (don't laugh) James Milner .  He's still turning in performances for Liverpool, probably has another season at least in the legs, but would be accepting of the fact that he may not be a first choice for every game at his age, and could pass on bucket loads of experience to some of our young midfielders whilst at the same time perhaps looking to his own future and getting his coaching badges.  Somewhere like us, with a talented young squad might just seem a tempting prospect to someone of that ilk.

Someone once said "you cant win anything with kids".  OK he got that a bit wrong but then they were special kids. Most young squads still need the old heads to steer them.

48 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

How many players did you want him to bring in then, and which positions?

It was obvious we needed a striker and our ability to score this season and the reliance on vardy is ridiculous. How that has been overlooked and/or not resolved in not just one but two windows is very very poor. 

1 hour ago, chris_lcfc_85 said:

There's no way Elder will be back up to Chilwell next season, simply not good enough.

He's 23 now so hardly a youth team player and Ipswich have dropped him due to poor performances.

No need for wholesale changes as we've got a young squad that's going to improve. Our biggest challenge will be to keep them all at the club!!

Personally I think we need a left back to challenge Chilwell, a couple of centre mids and possibly a couple of strikers

Elder is pretty pants in fairness.

The only big name I can see going is Maguire, but considering the reports from Scotland, Benkovic would be a good replacement. I’d expect to see Lord Farquaad and Benko/Maguire as the main CB for next season. Hopefully Tielemans is a success and can be signed on a permanent. Then we can look into potentially bringing in some attacking support. There won’t need to be a great deal done. We signed young players, this is where you’ll start to see the benefits. 

Edited by La-li-lu-le-lo

42 minutes ago, m4DD0gg said:

It was obvious we needed a striker and our ability to score this season and the reliance on vardy is ridiculous. How that has been overlooked and/or not resolved in not just one but two windows is very very poor. 

Iheanacho was showing signs of having forged a partnership with Vardy at the end of last season, he was creating and scoring.

He looked good in pre season friendlies.

If we had have bought another striker they would have had to accept that they would hardly ever play.

Then Iheanacho lost all confidence.

ITK mentioned that we had made an off for a striker in January.

Would anyone have Morelos from Rangers? I know his disciplinary record isn't great but he could be our new Vardy. Hes strong and tenacious and a good finisher and i dont reckon hed cost a fortune. Always difficult to judge a player in the Scottish league but he seems to have all the attributes we'd want 

2 hours ago, jayfox26 said:

Would anyone have Morelos from Rangers? I know his disciplinary record isn't great but he could be our new Vardy. Hes strong and tenacious and a good finisher and i dont reckon hed cost a fortune. Always difficult to judge a player in the Scottish league but he seems to have all the attributes we'd want 

I honestly thought Itchy Nacho’s had those too. I still believe in the lad, but he’s testing me now. 

I’d sell/release:

simpson 

morgan

fuchs

king

james

okazaki

slimani

jakupovic

sign:

sessegnon (to play wing and backup for lb)

tielemans swap for Silva (keep Silva if can’t get tielemans)

charlie austin

che adams

that would leave:

GK: schmeichel, ward, U23

RB: Ricardo, amartey

LB: chilwell, sessegnon

CB: Maguire, Evans, soyuncu, benkovic, U23

CM: ndidi, mendy, tielemans, choudhury

AM: Maddison, Barnes, gray, sessegnon, ghezzal, albrighton

ST: vardy, iheanacho, Austin, Adams 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Xen said:

I don't think we need to keep Wes, but I do think we will keep him.

I think we'll struggle to shift him with the wages he's on at his age, and having such a young back line is risky in the shoot term so a bit of extra experience in the squad from our club captain can only help. Note that I don't think he should play - or even make the bench - most weeks. Cup fixtures and backup in case of injury is about the extent of what I think he'll get. In January his contract will only have 6 months left to run so I can see him going on loan back to forest with us subsidising his wages a bit.

Wouldn't surprise me actually if we did a deal with Forest to take one of our youngsters (Knight/Hughes?) on loan for the first half of the season then swap them for Morgan in Jan.

Thought he was out of contract in the summer?

1 hour ago, ARM1968 said:

I honestly thought Itchy Nacho’s had those too. I still believe in the lad, but he’s testing me now. 

Kelechi always looked like he had the attributes of finishing and being in the right place at the right time but he hasn't shown either of them recently. Morelos has more to his game and is very similar to Vardy as hes aggresive, plays on the edge and is a good finisher. Not got the pace that Vardy had in recent seasons but he certainly looks a good player.  I'd take a punt on him for around £12-15m but not sure rangers would sell him. 

Im really worried about what players are going to be left come the summer.

Maguire is as good as gone, Maddison linked to Spurs today, Chilwell Man City and Riccardo plays in a position where a real lack of quality exists in England and we see sides like Man Utd playing Ashley Young and Valencia, Arsenals Bellerin is out for ages and he wasn't pulling up any trees whilst Chelsea play Azpilicueta who is useful defensively but isn't getting any younger and gives little offensively. We have plenty of others from Barnes to Ndidi and Vardy to Gray that could easily attract offers.

If we keep the nucleus I wouldnt say we need loads of players. We need a a playmaker and a back-up striker to replace Vardy when not available or a change of tactics. I would keep faith with the kids we have to develop and clearing the decks is only natural as our squad is way too big.

22 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

One more wide player I think as well, long term still not sure on Gray and Ghezzal..I think we could still hoodwink someone in to paying £20m+ for Gray.

I will be  baking a Gray /Ghezzal humble pie just for you soon...:P

24 minutes ago, Analysethis said:

Maguire is as good as gone, Maddison linked to Spurs today, Chilwell Man City and Riccardo plays in a position where a real lack of quality exists in England and we see sides like Man Utd playing Ashley Young and Valencia, Arsenals Bellerin is out for ages and he wasn't pulling up any trees whilst Chelsea play Azpilicueta who is useful defensively but isn't getting any younger and gives little offensively. We have plenty of others from Barnes to Ndidi and Vardy to Gray that could easily attract offers.

If we keep the nucleus I wouldnt say we need loads of players. We need a a playmaker and a back-up striker to replace Vardy when not available or a change of tactics. I would keep faith with the kids we have to develop and clearing the decks is only natural as our squad is way too big.

Funny enough I wouldn’t be suprised if nobody left, United seem to be going after Koulibaly rather than Maguire, Spurs won’t pay what we’d want for Maddison, that leaves Chilwell where I have a feeling we’ll stick an outrageous price tag on him which Man City won’t pay but he’s perhaps the most likely.

Notably anyone who would attract interest have all signed long term contracts this season - we hold all the cards, after seeing the Mahrez saga I can’t imagine anyone that was really actively looking for a move would have signed.

Edited by Mehrez
  • Like 1

M

25 minutes ago, Analysethis said:

Why? All are under long contracts... they won’t be going, Frankly it isn’t their choice either...... 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Analysethis said:

If we sell Maddison,then my belief on the club wanting to take the PL serious and compete at the top end dies.

I still believe Chilwell and Maguire, handling will also prove the club's credibility and intentions!!!  

Though at present, due to lack of true support and the poor abysmal posts on not understanding the club's needs,might put the management in the

"Fxxk it' Mode!!!

Just now, Mehrez said:

Funny enough I wouldn’t be suprised if nobody left, United seem to be going after Koulibaly rather than Maguire, Spurs won’t pay what we’d want for Maddison, that leaves Chilwell where I have a feeling we’ll stick an outrageous price tag on him which Man City won’t pay but he’s perhaps the most likely.

We have seen it with Kante and Mahrez. If a player wants to go he will.

Maguire was held back but he will get his move. Arsenals DCs are woeful, Luiz at Chelsea will need replacing and possibly United. Hopefully they all want to stay but we need to be realistic here. Im not overly bothered if we continue some of our great replacement purchases.

1 minute ago, Analysethis said:

We have seen it with Kante and Mahrez. If a player wants to go he will.

Maguire was held back but he will get his move. Arsenals DCs are woeful, Luiz at Chelsea will need replacing and possibly United. Hopefully they all want to stay but we need to be realistic here. Im not overly bothered if we continue some of our great replacement purchases.

Kante had a release clause which none of our players now have and Mahrez literally had to stop playing to get his move after two years, he was sold at the time we could get the most money out of him knowing he wouldn’t sign a new contract, it suited the club and the player.

As I said above anyone likely to attract interest are on long term contracts - we hold all the cards, there’s not a chance more than one goes if any at all

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Analysethis said:

I think it’s only likely our young players would try to force moves if the current toxic atmosphere continues. I think this is a really serious problem.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mehrez said:

Kante had a release clause which none of our players now have and Mahrez literally had to stop playing to get his move after two years, he was sold at the time we could get the most money out of him knowing he wouldn’t sign a new contract, it suited the club and the player.

As I said above anyone likely to attract interest are on long term contracts - we hold all the cards, there’s not a chance more than one goes if any at all

You know there are no release clauses how? 

49 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

I think it’s only likely our young players would try to force moves if the current toxic atmosphere continues. I think this is a really serious problem.

I agree and I don't think you are overstating it.

Ironic that some of those that blame the manager for everything are actually a serious destructive force themselves.

pitchfork wielding sub-morons out!