Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BlueThroughandThrough

Summer rebuilding of the squad

Don't think we'd be a destination for Che Adams to be honest. He's 23 next season, if he moves to the premier league there's several clubs at a similar level to us (Watford, Crystal Palace, West Ham or Everton) more likely to play him more/pay him more if he has the quality they need.

I'm also not convinced Mendez would join us/we would want him, unless we sold Gray - Ghezzal seems to be improving to the point that he's a worthy squad player at least, Diabaté is doing well on loan, and Albrighton just signed a new deal. 

Keeping those 3 all happy on the bench might not only be difficult, it would be quite wasteful imo.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Allowing Matt James to sign a new contract at the club was the single most bewildering piece of business that LCFC have done in a long time.

I say again... wtf? 

I’ll never get it. If he was fully fit and competing for a first team place, then fine. But he’s not. He’s miles off...

It’s almost like it was done as a sympathy vote?

It was done by a manager trying to take a leaf out of Pearsons man management book, look after your players and be seen to look after them! With a Chairman behind him who also looks after people.

Edited by Babylon
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Players like Mendy and Iheanacho would be on the next batch of outs. I'm not sold on either, but we are already losing a large amount of players so I think you need to keep some continuity.

Not keen on getting rid of Mendy. At least we know he can be a credible starter in the PL.

• Like 1

how exciting on paper is our team?! just need the results this back end of the season to prove it.

Vardy, Gray and Ghezzal for me need to show what they can do, that will determine everything.

i think someone like Januzaj would be an interesting signing with lots to prove, definitely gonna get grief for saying that but he's someone that i think looks very good for real sociedad

On 08/02/2019 at 21:03, Analysethis said:

Kante had a release clause for Champions League clubs but we accepted a bid from a non-Champions League club so the clause wasnt used. Mahrez did not stop playing to get his move 2 years later either. Mahrez only asked to leave at the end of last season. 2 years ago he had signed a new 4 year contract. The point is players outgrow clubs. Its not just a Leicester thing, just ask Tottenham fans who have lost the likes of Modric, Bale overseas and a few years ago now Berbatov and Carrick to Man Utd.

I would put money on the fact that Maguire wont be there for the seasons start and thats why we did some forward thinking with Benkovic.

First time I've heard it was a release clause for Champions League only.

Why would we have let him go when we held on to Mahrez for so long?

59 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

£40 mil for Tielemans is speculated at the club. 

At the club or by you?

1 minute ago, lcfc sheff said:

how exciting on paper is our team?! just need the results this back end of the season to prove it.

Vardy, Gray and Ghezzal for me need to show what they can do, that will determine everything.

i think someone like Januzaj would be an interesting signing with lots to prove, definitely gonna get grief for saying that but he's someone that i think looks very good for real sociedad

Januzaj has little resale value and we already have far too many mediocre wingers. Rather go for someone that hasn't already "failed" in this league.

I also still haven't forgiven him for thinking his name was said with hard Js like in January and making a fool of myself the first time I said his name.

7 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

First time I've heard it was a release clause for Champions League only.

Why would we have let him go when we held on to Mahrez for so long?

At the club or by you?

The release clause was something like £22m for clubs qualified to the Champions League, and there was plenty of interest at that price. Chelsea came in with their offer of ~£30m and we accepted as otherwise we'd have lost him for less. We couldn't have kept Kanté for any longer than we did, unfortunately.

Mahrez had no such release clause in his contract, and when he signed a new contract there was a gentlemans agreement in place that we'd let him move on eventually for the right price.

Edited by Xen

Clearly a lot of outgoings required to streamline/balance the squad and unload salaries. Key targets: creative box-to-box midfielder (Tielemans), striker (target man good at holding up and playing with back to goal proven goalscorer at Premier League level (Mitrovic). By holding on to our young talent and adding these two we'd have the best young squad in the league and arguably the most talented outside the top 6. 

5 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

I concur and I'd sign that in a heartbeat.

Goalkeeper situation is settled, I don't think Kasper can afford to leave this summer with the contract he's on. But I'd urge the club to look at possible replacements in the 26 to 30 yo bracket already, you never know... Or else they are prepared to push Ward as No.1 in the near future?

Defenders: Maguire, Evans, Söyüncü, Benkovic, Morgan as back-up if needed. Chilwell and another left-back (Elder to stay?), right-back with Pereira and potentially another new player as back-up (depending on Amartey's healing process).

Still think we could do with a quality or slightly older winger who's a bit more experienced, I'm not sure Barnes, Ghezzal, Gray and Diabaté (if returning for good) are good enough at this point. I like the look of Barnes, though. Albrighton would be my first choice on the team sheet - I'd wish for more wingers with his attitude and workrate. Gray especially needs some inner motivation, has been stagnating for too long, his end product is lacking still. Maybe the introduction of Barnes can change things for the better there...

Central midfield looks good with Maddison and Choudhury. Question marks over Ndidi and Mendy, as I'm wondering whether there's still room for improvement.

Surely need at least one quality central midfielder with attacking prowess, let's see how Tielemans does in the next seven, eight, nine matches.

The striker situation... Well, we have Iheanacho. Guy's an enigma. Can play sensationally well under the circumstances, why is he so out of form right now? Low on confidence? Guy needs to play, especially given the fact that we paid big money for him. I just don't want this to be another Silva Situation, where we pay millions of pounds, only for the player hardly ever donning the shirt. Would be such a waste of talent.

Struggling to see the talent to be honest

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Claridge said:

Struggling to see the talent to be honest

That's because he ain't playing at all at the moment. :D

His performance in the 5-4 defeat at Spurs last season showed how good he can be if given the chance. Reminded me a bit of Balotelli in that match.

Still only 22 years old, btw.

Not a massive revamp needed. Just 3 or 4 quality players to rejuvenate the squad and add competition in the areas we all seem to agree with. My preference would be:

Mendez

delph

Adams/mitrovic

tielemans/mooy if we can't get youri. 

Can still see one of the bigger assets leaving like maguire to pay for these players. Just need to have a plan if they do. 

In order of urgency

1) More progressive Central Midfielder who can play in the 2 to break up the N'Didi/Mendy pivot(can either pass incisively and/or or carry the ball)

2) A starting calibre wide forward/winger  (Albrighton has been a great servant, but worries me to see people suggesting he is the first choice wide option - it emphasises the lack of genuine quality we have in this area of the pitch)

3) Striker

4) More attack minded full back to provide cover for both Ricardo and Chilwell

Would probably need to sell Maguire at the very least to finance this. 

7 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Don't think we'd be a destination for Che Adams to be honest. He's 23 next season, if he moves to the premier league there's several clubs at a similar level to us (Watford, Crystal Palace, West Ham or Everton) more likely to play him more/pay him more if he has the quality they need.

I'm also not convinced Mendez would join us/we would want him, unless we sold Gray - Ghezzal seems to be improving to the point that he's a worthy squad player at least, Diabaté is doing well on loan, and Albrighton just signed a new deal. 

Keeping those 3 all happy on the bench might not only be difficult, it would be quite wasteful imo.

Adams lives in Hinckley, or did until recently and I think he would love to come here like Maddison did. 

Mendez is going to have his suitors but not sure the top 6 in the PL will go for him just yet so we would be in with a shout given the wages we'd pay over the above average European sides. He would be coming in to play the RW role which we need another option for and I am torn on Gray, if we were offered near £20m for him again I'd do it. Mendez release clause isn't much more than that and he is gifted on the ball, we need more creators.

GK:

Schmiechel

Ward

Iverson

RB:

Ricardo

Amartey

CB:

Maguire

Benkovic

Soyuncu 

Evans

LB:

Chillwell

New LB (Angelino???)

CM:

Hamza

Ndidi

Mendy

Sangare

Tielemans

WINGERS;

Gray

Albrighton

Barnes 

Ghezzal

Kalu

CAM:

Maddison

Barnes

Eze

ST:

Vardy

Mitrovic

Adams

Thoughts???

Also, Robert Skov, 21 goals and 5 assists from right wing this season, only 22. Could be worth a punt.

Edited by Dusty

20 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

I think he's really Puel's ideal No. 6 in terms of skillset. Very happy to have him as backup to Ndidi who is a better player imo.

A decision may need to be taken on Mendy this summer. I think he came on a 4 year contract, so that would expire in June 2020. So we either offer him a new o or sell him if we want to recoup any money.

He’s a decent enough player, but we have Hamza and I would like to see him play more next season. I say sell Mendy in the summer if there is interest. May also help to finance a Tielmans bid if he proves as good as we hope he will be in the next 12 games

• Like 1

2 hours ago, harpendenfox said:

A decision may need to be taken on Mendy this summer. I think he came on a 4 year contract, so that would expire in June 2020. So we either offer him a new o or sell him if we want to recoup any money.

He’s a decent enough player, but we have Hamza and I would like to see him play more next season. I say sell Mendy in the summer if there is interest. May also help to finance a Tielmans bid if he proves as good as we hope he will be in the next 12 games

That's a good point. We could probably sell him for decent money. Although then we would also have to line up a prospect like Watford's Quina who could be a decent backup, because just having Hamza Ndidi and Youri would not be enough.