Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
yorkie1999

Also in the news

31 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47902292

Interesting statistics from Cardiff University today. Showing a downward trend of admissions of people with injuries from violent attacks. Surprising considering the police are reporting a 19% increase in violent crime. 

I suspect there is a correlation with statistics showing young people are consuming less alcohol.

46 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47902292

Interesting statistics from Cardiff University today. Showing a downward trend of admissions of people with injuries from violent attacks. Surprising considering the police are reporting a 19% increase in violent crime. 

Interesting - and there could be various reasons.

It's clear that there has been a rise in homicides and knife crime, much of it linked to inner city gang violence, drug crime and wider youth culture.

But that could be coinciding with a drop in more minor violence. I see Buce just mentioned the recorded decline in drinking among young people, which could partly explain it.

But I do wonder about the reliability of hospital admissions as a source of comparative data over time. This "decline in violence" is based on a 1.7% fall in hospital admissions due to violence.

But it could be that hospitals are admitting fewer people with minor injuries due to pressure on beds - patching up people who just need a few stitches or have a broken bone and sending them home.

Given the pressure on hospital beds, it would be surprising if hospitals were NOT admitting fewer people with such minor injuries....without there necessarily being a reduction in such injuries.

Another purely anecdotal comment.... Yesterday, I was talking to my brother, who lives in a fairly downmarket part of London and has a son in his late teens.

He was concerned that his son never goes out - partly due to spending lots of time on gadgets but also due to concerns about violence locally.

He said his son wasn't untypical in this & that you see very few teenagers on the local streets near him.

Maybe some violence is being avoided but at the cost of social isolation through fear of violence? Purely anecdotal, though....

Edited by Alf Bentley

16 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Interesting - and there could be various reasons.

It's clear that there has been a rise in homicides and knife crime, much of it linked to inner city gang violence, drug crime and wider youth culture.

But that could be coinciding with a drop in more minor violence. I see Buce just mentioned the recorded decline in drinking among young people, which could partly explain it.

But I do wonder about the reliability of hospital admissions as a source of comparative data over time. This "decline in violence" is based on a 1.7% fall in hospital admissions due to violence.

But it could be that hospitals are admitting fewer people with minor injuries due to pressure on beds - patching up people who just need a few stitches or have a broken bone and sending them home.

Given the pressure on hospital beds, it would be surprising if hospitals were NOT admitting fewer people with such minor injuries....without there necessarily being a reduction in such injuries.

Another purely anecdotal comment.... Yesterday, I was talking to my brother, who lives in a fairly downmarket part of London and has a son in his late teens.

He was concerned that his son never goes out - partly due to spending lots of time on gadgets but also due to concerns about violence locally.

He said his son wasn't untypical in this & that you see very few teenagers on the local streets near him.

Maybe some violence is being avoided but at the cost of social isolation through fear of violence? Purely anecdotal, though....

It's funny that you mention that last paragraph Alf since a friend at work said just this week he's stopped going out for the same reason. Maybe there is something to it. 

5 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/apr/11/ex-pope-benedict-xvi-blames-sexual-abuse-on-swinging-sixties

Two absolute CVNT Popes at the same time, what a time to be alive!

“homosexual cliques” among priests, Ultimately, the reason is the absence of God - What where they doing as priests if God was absent from them?

Swing 60s lol Abuse of kids sexual or otherwise has been going on, well probably forever. 

Some priests just had the benefit of being in their own secret sex club.

Guest MattP

Brexit party officially launched. I think they will do pretty well.

Nigel Farage leads and deputies appear to be Ben Habib and Annunziata Rees-Mogg (sister of Jacob)

1 minute ago, EnderbyFox said:

Annunziata Rees-Mogg is sure to appeal to the anti-establishment working class vote lol

I imagine she appeals to about 50% of the voting public.  Shame about her politics though.

1 hour ago, MattP said:

Brexit party officially launched. I think they will do pretty well.

Nigel Farage leads and deputies appear to be Ben Habib and Annunziata Rees-Mogg (sister of Jacob)

I'm sure it will do pretty well in the Euro elections. I wonder what all this rhetoric about "a democratic revolution" means? Sounds like a project beyond Brexit. Will be interesting to hear what that's about.

I suppose how well they do in the Euro elections will depend partly on how much media exposure Farage gets - but he tends to do well at that.

Though mainstream TV won't be obliged to provide that much coverage - and will be obliged to cover UKIP, I imagine, as UKIP was the party that won the most votes/MEPs last time, while Brexit Party didn't exist.

How good they are at online campaigning will also affect their ability to get a bandwagon rolling.

The obvious risk is that they and UKIP split the Hard Brexit vote - and UKIP will start with much better name recognition, even if Farage is much better known than Batten and better liked than Robinson beyond a hopefully narrow Far Right fringe.

If there has to be a big vote for a Hard Brexit party (as I'm sure there will be), I'd certainly prefer it to be this lot than the new Robinson-advised UKIP. 

Ideally, though, they'll fvck one another up - and fvck the Tories up, too, without taking TOO many votes from Labour. :D

How things go between the Lib Dems, Greens & Change UK will be equally interesting, as I'm sure there'll be a big Pure Remain/Second Referendum vote, too....but for which of them?

2 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Brunei has declared that it will stone to death adulterers and people having gay sex.

Excuse me, but which century are we now living in?

One where Brunei is just one of many who have such a law.

Guest MattP
2 hours ago, EnderbyFox said:

Annunziata Rees-Mogg is sure to appeal to the anti-establishment working class vote lol

Weirdly, Jacob does. They did polling on individuals at Yougov a while back and was more popular among CD2's than AB class.

I think it's a bit outdated to assume working class people don't like someone because they talk posh. Similar with Corbyn, he polls better among academics, middle class students etc than he does with many of the blue collar.

9 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

To each their own, knowing who her brother is makes it much more naughty. :knockyhat:

Nah I bet she's ridiculous in the sheets but she also looks like the sort of person that could transform into a 150 year old witch at any moment.

Red woman off Game of Thrones vibe.

• Haha 1

Guest MattP
2 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

I'm sure it will do pretty well in the Euro elections. I wonder what all this rhetoric about "a democratic revolution" means? Sounds like a project beyond Brexit. Will be interesting to hear what that's about.

I suppose how well they do in the Euro elections will depend partly on how much media exposure Farage gets - but he tends to do well at that.

Though mainstream TV won't be obliged to provide that much coverage - and will be obliged to cover UKIP, I imagine, as UKIP was the party that won the most votes/MEPs last time, while Brexit Party didn't exist.

How good they are at online campaigning will also affect their ability to get a bandwagon rolling.

The obvious risk is that they and UKIP split the Hard Brexit vote - and UKIP will start with much better name recognition, even if Farage is much better known than Batten and better liked than Robinson beyond a hopefully narrow Far Right fringe.

If there has to be a big vote for a Hard Brexit party (as I'm sure there will be), I'd certainly prefer it to be this lot than the new Robinson-advised UKIP. 

Ideally, though, they'll fvck one another up - and fvck the Tories up, too, without taking TOO many votes from Labour. :D

How things go between the Lib Dems, Greens & Change UK will be equally interesting, as I'm sure there'll be a big Pure Remain/Second Referendum vote, too....but for which of them?

The point about the media is very good - the BBC didn't even show the launch of his party today whereas Sky did.

Is Farage himself a big enough name to command the press? Yes but he can't do all the workload himself, one of the reasons UKIP rose under his leadership was having a couple of decent media performers to also promote the brand like Woolfe, Jones and Carswell. I'd imagine unless they are polling at 15% they wouldn't get the sane airtime his UKIP got.

I'm delighted to see him back though, the debate certainly needs him.

1 minute ago, MattP said:

The point about the media is very good - the BBC didn't even show the launch of his party today whereas Sky did.

Is Farage himself a big enough name to command the press? Yes but he can't do all the workload himself, one of the reasons UKIP rose under his leadership was having a couple of decent media performers to also promote the brand like Woolfe, Jones and Carswell. I'd imagine unless they are polling at 15% they wouldn't get the sane airtime his UKIP got.

I'm delighted to see him back though, the debate certainly needs him.

I saw it on BBC - it was on in the break room at work. Walked in an said "look at that bellend" whilst Farage was introducing Rees-Mogg

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, MattP said:

It got some coverage on the BBC Lunchtime News today.

As the Euro elections are due to take place within a few weeks, the Brexit Party will have to lean heavily on Farage's recognition value, I reckon.

Wouldn't surprise me if they even included his name with the party name on the ballot paper or they'll risk less informed voters opting for UKIP, not being aware of recent changes.

Over the longer-term they might be able to build up some other leading figures via the media, but not much time for that now.

Hard to predict what's likely to happen at the election. I'd expect a high turnout among those who are strongly pro or anti-Brexit, but a low turnout among those who are less politically engaged in that issue or just sick of it.

That argues for a very polarised result with purist Hard Brexit/Second Referendum parties doing well. But the bigger parties have the people on the ground to get more of their vote out, which the smaller parties will lack.

Change UK will have an even harder job than Farage's lot to attract voters to a new party, though. At least it's clear what The Brexit Party is about (though UKIP will be more widely known). Change UK will have to promote themselves as pro-referendum, but will be fishing in the same pool as the Lib Dems, Greens and others.

It's odd to realise that, even if Farage/UKIP do well, we're likely to elect fewer Eurosceptic MEPs than in 2014, when UKIP got more MEPs than either Tories or Labour.

4 hours ago, davieG said:

“homosexual cliques” among priests, Ultimately, the reason is the absence of God - What where they doing as priests if God was absent from them?

Swing 60s lol Abuse of kids sexual or otherwise has been going on, well probably forever. 

Some priests just had the benefit of being in their own secret sex club.

Benedict is the same shit for brains who lambasted “atheist extremists” when he visited the UK in 2010, saying:

"Even in our own lifetime, we can recall how Britain and her leaders stood against a Nazi tyranny that wished to eradicate God from society and denied our common humanity to many, especially the Jews, who were thought unfit to live," he said.

He’s a thundercvnt and it’s a shame there won’t be a hell for him to go when he finally dies.