Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bazly

We do pick some stellar managers

I was wondering when one of our departing managers was actually in demand and went on to land a 'bigger' job and you have to go back 50 years when Frank O'Farrell left to manage (very briefly) Manchester United. There have been some real jokers in the last 50 years. The list of LC managers reads like a horror story. Rodgers has a low bar to hurdle compared to the likes of:

Holloway
Eriksson
Sousa

Megson
Bassett
Levin
McLintock

Puel win ratio was actually one of the worst seen but i wouldn't put him into the list of the questionable. Good luck Mr Rodgers.

Just now, surrifox said:

So you will include Sven but don’t include Taylor, Pleat , Allen or McGee 

If you look at the list of managers - the duffers list could go on and on and on. Then pops up O'Neill as a ray of sunshine quickly followed by FFS.

10 minutes ago, Bazly said:

I was wondering when one of our departing managers was actually in demand and went on to land a 'bigger' job and you have to go back 50 years when Frank O'Farrell left to manage (very briefly) Manchester United.

You're completely ignoring O'neill going to Celtic then? Which has been brought up repeatedly in the Rodgers threads because of how it mirrors this transfer...

2 minutes ago, Xen said:

You're completely ignoring O'neill going to Celtic then? Which has been brought up repeatedly in the Rodgers threads because of how it mirrors this transfer...

Celtic was more sideways in my opinion. The fact is when you look at the managerial appointments over the generations its been as a player analogy more Wise and Slimani than Lineker and Shilton. 

Taylor was the worst for me, gradually dismantling all the good Martin had done, leaving Collymore out was crazy.

Holloway took us down in the lamest way possible but in hindsight did us a favour as we sorted ourselves out afterwards

Allen and Sousa quite irrelevant.

Levein and Pleat were awful. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bazly said:

Celtic was more sideways in my opinion. The fact is when you look at the managerial appointments over the generations its been as a player analogy more Wise and Slimani than Lineker and Shilton. 

Took Celtic to a UEFA cup final. was anything but sidewards in those days when the gap between our leagues wasn't as apparent.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Taylor was the worst for me, gradually dismantling all the good Martin had done, leaving Collymore out was crazy.

Holloway took us down in the lamest way possible but in hindsight did us a favour as we sorted ourselves out afterwards

Taylor was dreadful because not only did he spent a lot of money on very poor players, he dismantled the very decent side MON built. All the success MON brought to the club vanished within one year.

Both Levein & Pleat join him in my list of the worst managers in my time watching us. The football under both of them was utterly dire. If Megson had stayed longer he'd be there too, but luckily his head was turned by the mighty pull of Bolton Wanderers. 

McLintock was another terrible manger, especially after taking over from the highly entertaining sides Bloomfield created. 

We certainly have had more than our fair share of dross!

So now let's hope we have in place a manager we can all get behind and support 100% rather than the toxic hostilities we've had on this forum over dear old Claude.

Edited by ThaiFox
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

What about McLintoch  surely the worst manager ever

11 hours ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Sven's first season here was actually quite enjoyable so wouldn't put him on the list, big sol, naughton taking man city to a replay and having a new debutant every week on loan from the top 4 

Like real life FIFA, weren’t it?

47 minutes ago, KFS said:

Like real life FIFA, weren’t it?

Basically like lol fryatt up top one week eyup heres yakubu then darius vassell is still alive? Bit of Roman Bednar on toast, was a mad season but we played really good stuff, am gutted it didn't work out but he'd turned into redknapp by that point just getting the band back together 

11 hours ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Sven's first season here was actually quite enjoyable so wouldn't put him on the list, big sol, naughton taking man city to a replay and having a new debutant every week on loan from the top 4 

Got fond memories of that season.

Some of the football we played was incredible. Appreciated it all the more because we had had years and years or awful football.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gamble92 said:

Got fond memories of that season.

Some of the football we played was incredible. Appreciated it all the more because we had had years and years or awful football.

Ricardo 

Naughton

Bamba

Mee

PVA

Gallagher

Wellens

Abe

Kamara 

Yakubu

Vassell

That back four is actually Premier League lol 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

the run of 6 or 7 wins in a row was probably the most fun football we’d played in decades. 

derby away, that waghorn goal in injury time on a friday night, that game against barnsley where we scored 4 goal of the season contenders in about 45 minutes, the decent enough cup run. 

it obviously all can tumbling down but it was hardly horrific. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

God we were rich in comparison to those around us! 

Taylor was the worst by a mile.  The gold standard of god awful. 

What he did was tantamount to industrial sabotage. He spent a fortune turning a silk purse into a sow's ear.  It took us a decade and King Power's millions to recover.

Now manager of Tesco Express Dagenham & Redbridge.