Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Maguire to Man Utd / Man City

1 hour ago, henrik_62 said:

Couldn't agree with this more, as well as we've worked the transfer market in recent years there have been occasions we've been too sentimental and not been ruthless enough to sell players at their peak and re-invest.  One's that spring to mind are Boruc, Bitton and more recently last summer where we could have got a combined £20m+ for Ntcham and Boyata, one of which has now left for free and the other has had a poor season and diminished value as a result.

I've not seen much of Soyuncu but I know a lot about Benkovic and am quite honestly flabergasted at Rodgers' comments on perhaps sending him out on loan again next year, Rodgers of all people.  If he ends up back at Celtic Park I won't grumble obviously tho lol!

If Rogers sends Benko back out on loan to Celtic, after claiming last November he is ready for the EPL, then I smell a huge rotting Rat.  If Harry goes, as is almost a certainty,  Benko must be paired with JE.  To contemplate starting a 36 YO cb in the EPL shows no ambition.

Edited by mozartfox
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, FIF said:

I'm sure you're right, but isn't that the fact for any of our decent players. Just like Mahrez, if he wants to go, he'll force a move.

I think it all comes down to the respect towards the club & the players ambitions. 

There’s a huge difference between informing the club you want to leave as you want regular champions league football & to win trophies, to then informing the club you want come back to training as you want to move for example Mahrez.

Imo the way Mahrez dealt with the transfer showed disrespect to our club considering we made him who he is today. I think Big H is to humble to even attempt to force the type of move Mahrez did. I genuinely believe if Harry approached BR informing him he wanted to leave as much as BR would want him to stay he would allow him to go for the right price.  

30 minutes ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

Would you honestly say Benko is that good?

Yeah he's definitely good enough to play in the EPL week in week out, absolutely no question and I base that on comparing him to players who have left us and done well in the EPL.  Slight concerns over his injury record but this could be managed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, KingsX said:

An "ITK" mod on the ManU subreddit posted a supposed account of a transfer committee conference call.  Koulibaly said to be their only target at CB (contradicting press reports of Maguire and/or de Ligt).  No LCFC player was mentioned.

reddevils.JPG.8eceede7a66fe93d22e9a951fd1d80a9.JPG

(He went on to say Pogba and de Gea are hoped to stay; but that OGS took the job on condition of getting rid of a “massive” list of players including Bailly, Mata, Sanchez, Matic, and Pereira immediately; and Young, Smalling and Jones when their deals conclude.)  All fun talk … but he now has Sancho staying at Dortmund ... and it’s hard to believe even ManU is dysfunctional enough to allow this type of leak.

Interesting even if we cant validate it being true :-) -

you would assume that these kind of calls are happening in every club at the moment and it wouldn't be unreasonable to think that a few of our players are going to be on the initial lists that then get whittled down

Edited by Jacnah

23 minutes ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

How poor do you think we are? lol We can easily spend £100m & not be affected by FFP. We are going to spend big this summer, it’s evident. Selling some like Harry will help us invest in better quality elsewhere on the pitch yes. However selling Harry hasn’t got anything to do with getting Youri specifically.

And where is that £100m coming from? We've never got close to spending half of that, despite winning the league and reaping record profits form the champions league. We made a £1m profit in the last accounts and not have a training ground and potential ground expansion to finance. 

5 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

If Rogers send Benko back out on loan to Celtic, after claiming last November he is ready for the EPL, then I smell a huge rotting Rat.  If Harry goes, as is almost a certainty,  Benko must be paired with JE.  To contemplate starting a 36 YO cb in the EPL shows no ambition.

I personally think BR was simply just covering his bases by saying he would let Benko go back to Celtic just in case Harry was to stay for another year. I’m confident that alongside JE with his guidance Benko will turn into a great centre back.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

If Rogers send Benko back out on loan to Celtic, after claiming last November he is ready for the EPL, then I smell a huge rotting Rat.  If Harry goes, as is almost a certainty,  Benko must be paired with JE.  To contemplate starting a 36 YO cb in the EPL shows no ambition.

As great a manager as Rodgers is a bit of advice would be to take what he says a lot with a pinch of salt, he likes to talk a lot, a lot of the time too much and goes on to contradict himself in a short space of time.  That's not a dig or being bitter in any way it's just an observation from his time up in Scotland.

1 minute ago, henrik_62 said:

Yeah he's definitely good enough to play in the EPL week in week out, absolutely no question and I base that on comparing him to players who have left us and done well in the EPL.  Slight concerns over his injury record but this could be managed.

Interesting, would you go as far as comparing him to VVD when he was with you guys, similar age bracket.

With regards to injuries I think it’s fair to say we have one of the best sports science teams in the country, so I’m confident we will be able to sort that.

2 minutes ago, Jacnah said:

Interesting even if we cant validate it being true :-) -

you would assume that these kind of calls are happening in every club at the moment and it wouldnt be unreasonable to think that a few of our players are going to be on the itial lists that then get whittled down

Sure De Ligt is only not a target as he's already knocked them back publicly.

1 hour ago, Crispin LA said:

I haven't been to the King Power to see Leicester play, so what I've seen on Maguire is what I see on TV. 

What do you guys who watch the matches at the stadium think of his season, work ethic, gameplay and attitude on the pitch? 

All excellent. TBF, there is a question mark over his positional sense and pace, but my perspective is that we are talking minor issues, that having been said,  they can make the the difference between a really  very good player indeed  and a world beater

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

Interesting, would you go as far as comparing him to VVD when he was with you guys, similar age bracket.

With regards to injuries I think it’s fair to say we have one of the best sports science teams in the country, so I’m confident we will be able to sort that.

Van Dijk was slightly ahead of him based on his time in Scotland in a Celtic jersey but not by miles.  Not saying Benkovic will go on to be as good as him but based on what I've saw and comparing to Van Dijk I've absolutely no doubts he could slot in at Leicester and play every week and look accomplished.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

Plus plastic pitches are not allowed in the EPL and it was one of these that initially did for Benko.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, FIF said:

How much worse did we do last season?

Seems we've upgraded on Mahrez and we ALREADY have the upgrades on Maguire. Money for other areas or king power's pockets.

I agree, but on paper it was a massive loss Mahrez - Maguire not so much?

7 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

I agree, but on paper it was a massive loss Mahrez - Maguire not so much?

I agree with you there & to be honest I don’t think we ever did replace Mahrez hence the need for a quality winger still. It softened the blow because we changed the style of our play to accommodate Maddison we play more down the middle as that’s where our creativity is based. So I agree on paper Mahrez was more of a blow than Maguire however small tactical adjustments can make up for that.   

• Like 1

The loss of Mahrez was illustrated well on Saturday In that first half - Watford were stretched on that side and RM continually ended up 1 v 1 against Holebas. Watford had to drag some cover across and ended up ceding too much space in the centre of the pitch - not enough press on Man City’s possession in that central area and it was easy to pick out little chip balls into the box. 

its not such a simple game any more .....

EDIT : and yes, Harry will only leave because Harry wants to leave. We don’t want to lose our best players - it sends out the wrong message to those we are trying to get in but we also don’t want  it to appear that players are ‘prisoners’ to their contracts. A huge offer would mean a sale if Harry wants to go 

Edited by st albans fox
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Babylon said:

And where is that £100m coming from? We've never got close to spending half of that, despite winning the league and reaping record profits form the champions league. We made a £1m profit in the last accounts and not have a training ground and potential ground expansion to finance. 

Where do you think it’s coming from? Obviously from the owners. Yes I get your points regarding profits but it seems the owners are willing to make a loss this year In order for us to get closer to get to our goal. FFP gives you so many years to level out your profit/loss ratio. The last 5 years if I remember correctly we’ve made profits all of this comes into consideration. How do you think Everton spent so big last summer without FFP sniffing around them.

It’s so annoying seeing this repeated question. We aren’t cash strapped, far from it. The people at the top are smart. If you look at our squad now compared to the prem winning squad despite us winning the league our squad now looks a lot better, the owners are acknowledging that & know we aren’t far off cracking the top 6. However they know they are miss that few pieces of quality to get there so they’ll spend the cash to try make it happen.

Our owners are supposedly going to show some serious intent to get our club into the top 6 & bring back European football. The amount of negativity I see on here because of that is ridiculous. Be happy that the owners are gonna go for it & enjoy it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

The loss of Mahrez was illustrated well on Saturday In that first half - Watford were stretched on that side and RM continually ended up 1 v 1 against Holebas. Watford had to drag some cover across and ended up ceding too much space in the centre of the pitch - not enough press on Man City’s possession in that central area and it was easy to pick out little chip balls into the box. 

its not such a simple game any more .....

I noticed this a lot. KDB had a field day when he came on because the first thing he did was moved into the space that Mahrez created. I think that’s why it’s so important that we sign a high quality winger this summer. If we do the amount of space available to like of Madders & maybe Youri will make such a difference let alone with Vardy stretching the centre backs apart.

11 minutes ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

Where do you think it’s coming from? Obviously from the owners. Yes I get your points regarding profits but it seems the owners are willing to make a loss this year In order for us to get closer to get to our goal. FFP gives you so many years to level out your profit/loss ratio. The last 5 years if I remember correctly we’ve made profits all of this comes into consideration. How do you think Everton spent so big last summer without FFP sniffing around them.

It’s so annoying seeing this repeated question. We aren’t cash strapped, far from it. The people at the top are smart. If you look at our squad now compared to the prem winning squad despite us winning the league our squad now looks a lot better, the owners are acknowledging that & know we aren’t far off cracking the top 6. However they know they are miss that few pieces of quality to get there so they’ll spend the cash to try make it happen.

Our owners are supposedly going to show some serious intent to get our club into the top 6 & bring back European football. The amount of negativity I see on here because of that is ridiculous. Be happy that the owners are gonna go for it & enjoy it.

But this is all just guess work, nobody actually knows. Percy said we would last year and we spent a small net figure. I can't for the life of me understand why people are talking like it's an absolute certainty. 

Perhaps they will decide to, but nothing in the past 6 years actually points to them doing so, yet half the people on here talk like it's not even without doubt. That's not negative, it's bloody realistic. 

• Like 3

Have no issue with Maguire being sold for a decent fee as it should enable us to invest in areas we are severely lacking (a winger, number 8 and striker) without ending up with a huge net spend. 

I would however be a bit concerned if we sold 2 or more quality assets in the off season. Its not football manager and we don't know how good our recruitment is going to be, do I don't subscribe to this "let's get 100m+ then buy x, y and z" . Big upheaval every summer is risky for many reasons. 

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I'd love the fairytale world where we get like 75 each for them but it's not going to happen. 

Man City are shrewd. They gave us 65m for our best ever player, months after Liverpool sold someone barely much better (who's had an equally tough time at his new club) for like 170.

We're not getting 80/90 odd for Maguire and we'll get less for Chilwell. 

I'd like to be wrong but I think we get wildly optimistic about transfer fees on here. 

We have absolutely no incentive to sell Chilwell, and he's not going to force a move.  Man City would have to get close to 100 million just for him in order for Leicester to even consider it.  Since he's not worth that much to Man C. or anyone else, it'll never happen.