Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Maguire to Man Utd / Man City

3 hours ago, sylofox said:

Agreed. Not sure why people keep saying sell our best players and become Southampton? 

Huge difference we will sell to reinvest in areas we are weak. Southampton sold to fill the owners pockets. 

To be fair, they are above us in terms of spend since we were promoted, one of the biggest spenders in the league. They just bought badly and sold too many over the space of two seasons, rather than staging it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sylofox said:

Agreed. Not sure why people keep saying sell our best players and become Southampton? 

Huge difference we will sell to reinvest in areas we are weak. Southampton sold to fill the owners pockets. 

According to saints fans the money was actually spent, just they got so many duds with it.  Basically they lost the transfer market lottery.

Edited by Chrysalis
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Countryfox said:

Just one question ...   if he's got all these weaknesses and flaws in his game ...   why do Manure and Citeh want him ??

That would presume their scouting is great, we all know Man U are appalling at that currently and Man City just keeping buying and then replacing until they get it right.

27 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

According to saints fans the money was actually spent, just they got so many duds with it.  Basically they lost the transfer market lottery.

Signed a few flops who we were allegedly after too - Lemina, Hoedt, possibly Elyounoussi who I can think of in recent times. Think their main problem has been poor managerial appointments though.

Puel, Pellegrino and ****ing Mark Hughes is enough to send any club backwards. Probably harsh on CP as he got them top half and a cup final, but they never built on his work there at all. I think we seem set to do the complete opposite with Rodgers.

Anyway, is anyone actually after Maguire? I'd be surprised after the average season he had here.

1 hour ago, Chrysalis said:

I suppose there's an argument as to how much they would have had or would have spent had some of those players stayed. TV revenue is so high that teams can easily have £40-50m per season to play with without any raised funds through sales. It does feel like they took their foot off the gas with their recruitment and progressive squad building they'd previously been so shrewd at.

11 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I suppose there's an argument as to how much they would have had or would have spent had some of those players stayed. TV revenue is so high that teams can easily have £40-50m per season to play with without any raised funds through sales. It does feel like they took their foot off the gas with their recruitment and progressive squad building they'd previously been so shrewd at.

Or others caught them up .....

17 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Or others caught them up .....

That wouldn't explain why their player recruitment looked so poor though, they went from being the leading club outside the top 6 for player and manager recruitment to pure guff.

51 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. When we sell one of our great players we have to buy at least 2 normally before we've replaced them.

Good job he's not one of our greats then :D

9 hours ago, weller54 said:

You're missing the point... The money we get for Maguire will be used to strengthen the team... We have adequate strength in that CB position without Maguire.. Cash in.. Buy Tielemans, Bowen and Che Adams (and still have some loose change left). 

I’m not missing the point at all. Only Tielemans out of those three would improve our first team. Attempting to buy him is probably not reliant on selling Maguire. 

Why would you want to split up a defence that conceded only once (a once in a lifetime strike) against Man City, Arsenal and Chelsea? 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Viva said:

I’m not missing the point at all. Only Tielemans out of those three would improve our first team. Attempting to buy him is probably not reliant on selling Maguire. 

Why would you want to split up a defence that conceded only once (a once in a lifetime strike) against Man City, Arsenal and Chelsea? 

Maybe the player wants to leave? 

Guest SO1

Maybe we should sell Benkovic and Soyuncu. If we're going to keep Maguire and there's no place for them to progress except for the squad then its time to move on.

At least that's how I'd look at it if I was either one of them. You want to loan me again fine. Pay raise please, your stunting my growth or sell up so I can move on.

Players only have a limited time on the field. I'd be absolute hardball with Rodgers and the team. This is starting to remind me of the Hudson Odoi BS at Chelsea.

You can't stockpile talent and expect it not to blow up in your face. Sell Maguire and buy some attacking players or suffer the consequences. I'm bored.

Edited by SO1
bored

4 minutes ago, SO1 said:

Maybe we should sell Benkovic and Soyuncu. If we're going to keep Maguire and there's no place for them to progress except for the squad then its time to move on.

At least that's how I'd look at it if I was either one of them. You want to loan me again fine. Pay raise please, your stunting my growth or sell up so I can move on.

Players only have a limited time on the field. I'd be absolute hardball with Rodgers and the team. This is starting to remind me of the Hudson Odoi BS at Chelsea.

You can't stockpile talent and expect it not to blow up in your face. Sell Maguire and buy some attacking players or suffer the consequences. I'm bored.

you cant get by on a squad of just 11 players either and neither can you spend 40 million every time you want someone for the first 11. sometimes you have to buy potential and nurture it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SO1 said:

Serious question 

when you first joined you said you are along term follower of BR.

Have you always referenced we when talking about other clubs ?

Do you think you could become a long term surporter of a club regardless of If BR was there or not?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Babylon said:

That would presume their scouting is great, we all know Man U are appalling at that currently and Man City just keeping buying and then replacing until they get it right.

Well, that plus at Man City he won't need to do anywhere near as much of the stuff he can be a bit iffy at, and we could see quite a lot of his party trick...

46 minutes ago, SO1 said:

No problem with the general idea, but I really don't want Benkovic to go anywhere. Every time I've seen him he looks like an absolute beast.

Guest SO1
6 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

Serious question 

when you first joined you said you are along term follower of BR.

Have you always referenced we when talking about other clubs ?

Do you think you could become a long term surporter of a club regardless of If BR was there or not?

Damn ! That's an excellent question. 

Yes

Out of respect to the die hard supporters who have followed this club their whole lives.(kind of sounds like BR doesn't it?) If you asked me that in reference to my statement it was only to emphasize the possible perspective of the players in question.(yes I can be a drama Queen)

Hard to say. I always feel a personal and emotional connection to the teams that I follow. Witnessed by my wife when Liverpool beat Barca in the semis(even though I hate FSG). I'm really addicted to the energy and the building of an attacking football team. When Rodgers went to Liverpool I made up my mind that win, lose, or draw I was going to watch him put together that squad. Learned alot about football from BR and this guy on Liverpool RAWK Phase of Play.

Hard to become a long term supporter when you can't see any home games. Some day, in this life or the next:)

8 minutes ago, SO1 said:

Damn ! That's an excellent question. 

Yes

Out of respect to the die hard supporters who have followed this club their whole lives.(kind of sounds like BR doesn't it?) If you asked me that in reference to my statement it was only to emphasize the possible perspective of the players in question.(yes I can be a drama Queen)

Hard to say. I always feel a personal and emotional connection to the teams that I follow. Witnessed by my wife when Liverpool beat Barca in the semis(even though I hate FSG). I'm really addicted to the energy and the building of an attacking football team. When Rodgers went to Liverpool I made up my mind that win, lose, or draw I was going to watch him put together that squad. Learned alot about football from BR and this guy on Liverpool RAWK Phase of Play.

Hard to become a long term supporter when you can't see any home games. Some day, in this life or the next:)

Thanks

I always read your posts with the suspicion you could somehow be related/linked and there might be some insight from BR :giggle:

Dont burst by bubble

Guest SO1
1 hour ago, MPH said:

you cant get by on a squad of just 11 players either and neither can you spend 40 million every time you want someone for the first 11. sometimes you have to buy potential and nurture it.

That's true. I would think you have two contenders for every position. If I were as good a football player as Soyuncu I'd be in Rodgers face all the time about playing.

Or tell me why I'm not. Or tell me what I have to do to be better. Soyuncu and Benkovic aren't here to play backup to Maguire. They aren't indentured servants.

When I see the word Nurture it says to me 'be patient and wait your turn'. That's not gonna fly forever, especially in the minds of some very hungry pro footballers.

The kind of squad Rodgers wants to create. Of course I could be full of Sxxx. Just food for thought.

Guest SO1
11 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

Thanks

I always read your posts with the suspicion you could somehow be related/linked and there might be some insight from BR :giggle:

Dont burst by bubble

He's always welcome to call and say hello. Whatever info we exchange will be just between you and me:schmike:

1 hour ago, Jacnah said:

Just catching up on this thread. I'm quite surprised how many people are dismissing Harry on the basis that we have two ready made replacements sitting in the wings. Personally I don't think we can be so certain - one has played a few times and for sure looks promising but certainly not the finished article. The best we can say for the other is that we are optimistic. Its difficult to judge from the Scottish Premier League because he standard is generally so poor.

Just my opinion, but I feel we should be very wary indeed about letting any of our top players leave. We might find we very much miss Harry.

Of course. However, if you knew that Tielemans plus 2 more decent players were to sign as a result of his sale, would you stick or twist?

11 hours ago, Jacnah said:

Just catching up on this thread. I'm quite surprised how many people are dismissing Harry on the basis that we have two ready made replacements sitting in the wings. Personally I don't think we can be so certain - one has played a few times and for sure looks promising but certainly not the finished article. The best we can say for the other is that we are optimistic. Its difficult to judge from the Scottish Premier League because he standard is generally so poor.

Just my opinion, but I feel we should be very wary indeed about letting any of our top players leave. We might find we very much miss Harry.

The only reason I personally think if we let anyone go it should be Harry yes because of the cover we have got but also on the basis that when he got sent off this year against Burnley, the 3 games after I personally don’t think he was missed at all. That filled me with confidence that there wouldn’t be a big whole to fill if Harry left.