Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Maguire to Man Utd / Man City

18 hours ago, turtmcfly said:

Well, that plus at Man City he won't need to do anywhere near as much of the stuff he can be a bit iffy at, and we could see quite a lot of his party trick...

This rather odd piece looks at how Maguire would fit into Pep’s side   https://www.footballwhispers.com/blog/maguire-manchester-city

Starts with the point that he plays on the same side as Laporte, and compares their stats.  Harry is superior in the air and at both dribbling and passing forward.  So they conclude he would NOT fit there, as Pep wouldn’t want or need those qualities :dunno:   Stones and Otamendi aren’t mentioned …

2 hours ago, KingsX said:

This rather odd piece looks at how Maguire would fit into Pep’s side   https://www.footballwhispers.com/blog/maguire-manchester-city

Starts with the point that he plays on the same side as Laporte, and compares their stats.  Harry is superior in the air and at both dribbling and passing forward.  So they conclude he would NOT fit there, as Pep wouldn’t want or need those qualities :dunno:   Stones and Otamendi aren’t mentioned …

This seems to be the key reasoning;

However, it is telling that the Man City man (Laporte) sees more of the ball but players fewer passes forward and attempts fewer dribbles. At times it can be monotonous. It can appear as though it is possession for the sake of possession. But Guardiola has a plan and the players must stick to it.

Maguire is a talent on the ball and one of his strengths is carrying it out from the back. He’d have more opportunities to do this for City but it doesn’t mean he’d be allowed to do it as often. So that part of his game is potentially being stripped away.

22 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

Of course. However, if you knew that Tielemans plus 2 more decent players were to sign as a result of his sale, would you stick or twist?

It's a great question and a really difficult one. I think the only way to answer this with confidence is if you had all of the performance data and other reports on personality etc that the management staff have for our current players and our targets. However I'll get off the fence as the splinters in my arse are uncomfortable 

I don't think I would twist if it was just to get Tielemans, much as I agree with the almost universal opinion that he looked very good for most of the time. The asking price is steep and I suspect there are other players out there who can help make the parts a bettter whole at a better price. Don't get me wrong - I want him him here. Just not at any cost. I do appreciate the contrary arguments on this, particularly that we have seen Tielemans play, but this is just my opinion 

if on the other hand it was Tielemans and a couple more of our high quality targets who wouldn't just be squad players, but would realistically be pushing for a first team place then yes that would tip the balance for me.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

The only reason I personally think if we let anyone go it should be Harry yes because of the cover we have got but also on the basis that when he got sent off this year against Burnley, the 3 games after I personally don’t think he was missed at all. That filled me with confidence that there wouldn’t be a big whole to fill if Harry left.

Yep - difficult to disagree with your reasoning. Perhaps harry offers more in bringing the ball out and I suspect I'm a little  biased in my reasoning in that I like the idea that the spine of the team are young English players with a great future.

On 22/05/2019 at 21:35, Jacnah said:

Just catching up on this thread. I'm quite surprised how many people are dismissing Harry on the basis that we have two ready made replacements sitting in the wings. Personally I don't think we can be so certain - one has played a few times and for sure looks promising but certainly not the finished article. The best we can say for the other is that we are optimistic. Its difficult to judge from the Scottish Premier League because he standard is generally so poor.

Just my opinion, but I feel we should be very wary indeed about letting any of our top players leave. We might find we very much miss Harry.

I don’t think it’s necessarily people dismissing him. A lot of it is for the prices being quoted. I also don’t for one second reckon we wouldn’t miss him, we would, we’d be weaker without him, but sometimes you have to play backwards to go forwards and with that sort of money cashed in for him you could add serious quality. So it’s 6 and two 3’s in essence. I hope we keep him, but if the club decided to take a pragmatic approach I wouldn’t hound them for it. 

• Like 1

On 22/05/2019 at 21:35, Jacnah said:

Just catching up on this thread. I'm quite surprised how many people are dismissing Harry on the basis that we have two ready made replacements sitting in the wings. Personally I don't think we can be so certain - one has played a few times and for sure looks promising but certainly not the finished article. The best we can say for the other is that we are optimistic. Its difficult to judge from the Scottish Premier League because he standard is generally so poor.

Just my opinion, but I feel we should be very wary indeed about letting any of our top players leave. We might find we very much miss Harry.

Personally I think it’s more that we know we need to strengthen and don’t have all the money we need to do it. Harry is an asset we could sell that will bring in significant funds. I doubt in reality most people actually want him to go. I know I don’t. However, he brings in £70m+ then it is hard to knock back. 

• Like 1

I also think we’d be daft to sell prior to any England performances this summer which will put his price through the roof if he does well and change very little if he’s average...

18 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Still think he’ll stay and that buying YT is not dependent on him leaving.

I don't think that's the equation.  It's all we had to do was sign Tielemans and call the travel agency for Champion's League reservations keeping Maguire would be no problem.  The equation that matters is, can you do all the things you have to do besides keeping Tielemans (or finding another similar player) without selling a core piece?  Because if the answer is no, Harry makes the most sense to sell.

4 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

I don't think that's the equation.  It's all we had to do was sign Tielemans and call the travel agency for Champion's League reservations keeping Maguire would be no problem.  The equation that matters is, can you do all the things you have to do besides keeping Tielemans (or finding another similar player) without selling a core piece?  Because if the answer is no, Harry makes the most sense to sell.

Nobody knows.

But I’d wager a guess that if it’s the case, considering players on a free such as Sturridge and getting some 2nd choice back up for positions such as RB will suit BR adequately for this window in that scenario.

On 22/05/2019 at 17:31, Viva said:

I’m not missing the point at all. Only Tielemans out of those three would improve our first team. Attempting to buy him is probably not reliant on selling Maguire. 

Why would you want to split up a defence that conceded only once (a once in a lifetime strike) against Man City, Arsenal and Chelsea? 

Or it probably is.... nobody knows.

On 22/05/2019 at 20:31, Viva said:

I’m not missing the point at all. Only Tielemans out of those three would improve our first team. Attempting to buy him is probably not reliant on selling Maguire. 

Why would you want to split up a defence that conceded only once (a once in a lifetime strike) against Man City, Arsenal and Chelsea? 

We conceded three against Arsenal alone this season. 

1 minute ago, Nicolo Barella said:

We conceded three against Arsenal alone this season. 

We also beat Man City and Chelsea with Wes Morgan at the back... it's a sign!!!!

We didn't concede many in those games because we mostly showed bugger all ambition and played with loads of DM's.

Personally, this could be a great chance to raid their much heralded elite development squad to bump up the price. 70m (allowing for the fact we have to pay hull 15 per cent) plus 2 of their best players would be good business as they will surely have a better chance to be brought through by us.