Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Maguire to Man Utd / Man City

United's entitled fans expect nothing less than the latest shiny toy, like young kids throwing a fit for the latest video game. Leicester won the title with no overpriced players while United has no titles in recent years and only overpriced players.

On another note: what has Southampton gotten in return for selling all its marquee players? A lot of money, but a club perpetually scrapping to stay up. Will this be Leicester's fate?

Edited by Pentatonic
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

This is a dark day. Not coz we lost maguire..but for the messages it sends.

Ok players sign a contract for a long as you like in return for a big wage hike .... and dont worry coz we wont hold you to it. 

Come on top six club help yourselves to any of our players you fancy

I expected more

This is stupid. No club in the world holds all their players ransom to their contacts, that would be akin to slavery. We were extremely hardball with them over TWO summer windows, and got a world record fee for him. 

That's the exact opposite message you think it sends. Nobody will want to buy from us unless they really, really, really want to and have just kidnapped a leprechaun. 

21 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

We all know contracts mean nothing in football.

If a player wants to leave they get the move. Contracts just help the club get a higher fee.

Thats not what I said.

I said is it enforceable?  Not do clubs typically soften up and back down.

I don't begrudge Maguire his move and wish him well. However, I don't feel any great attachment to him, he's used us as a stepping stone and we've used him to squeeze an inflated sum out of United. It does show we're still some way off from being regarded as a top level team when we're selling players to those who should be our direct rivals.

• Like 1

I know all games have three points available and a season is 38 games long but the Wolves game really is a big one, one of two matchdays where we can affect their progress and I think we're going to be very close all season. Our CB partnership for that game in nine days time have either rarely played together or (Dunk) never met. Great preperation! The timing is s**t, we said it would require more than Van Dykes fee from day 1 and have lost weeks of preperation time  as Utd f***ed about.

I'm worried now about Chilwell next time he meets Harry with England being tapped up with tales of how great it is to be at such a big club.  But with his age and more years ahead of him, what would his fee be?

As for this loyalty bonus for not handing in a transfer request, what about "Harry has expressed to the club and his team mates that he does not wish to stay at the club", I know it's not formal but if that's not a transfer request what is he saying, he wants to leave the club and just jack it in, find a new profession! 

Despite the other three being fine players our defence and our defences contribution to our attacking will not be as good as last season, what we need to do is invest well to have an as good as possible CB and hopefully a new winger, of Zaha level, maybe offer Gray plus cash. Spreading the Mahrez money over multiple positions was the right thing to do with no Mahrez-esque replacement available to buy like for like, the same is required now, let's bloody someone elses nose and take their best player, I trust Top and his team to get it right.

Maybe if Dunk or whoever is more of a stay at home CB, Chilwell will have another 10-20% on his license to bomb forward with a little more security but I seriously think we're going to have to ensure we have eben more of the ball and less defending to do as our defence will undeniably be weaker, weaker than the one Spurs at home, Palace etc p***ed on last season.

I'm not shouting "We're doooomed" from the rooftops but some people are talking about a bit of spraypainting required when  a big wheel has fallen off. But Dunk at Cb and Zaha on the wing would maintain the same level of star quality albeit in a different balance.

Oh, pleased for Hull. By the way Hull, all that money weighing down your pockets, fancy an Algerian CF, special price?

4 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

This is a dark day. Not coz we lost maguire..but for the messages it sends.

Ok players sign a contract for a long as you like in return for a big wage hike .... and dont worry coz we wont hold you to it. 

Come on top six club help yourselves to any of our players you fancy

I expected more

This is stupid. No club in the world holds all their players ransom to their contacts, that would be akin to slavery. We were extremely hardball with them over TWO summer windows, and got a world record fee for him. 

That's the exact opposite message you think it sends. Nobody will want to buy from us unless they really, really, really want to and have just kidnapped a leprechaun. 

5 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

Why do people keep calling this fee mental?

Dunk valued at 45m.

AWB moves for 54m

VVD moves a year ago for 70+ mill.

Mings squad player moves for 22.3m

Targett squad players moves for 14m

I would say this puts Maguire on the upper end of a expected fee range.  Valuation of 70-90m.  Based on existing transfers "from" EPL clubs in 2019.  Most definitely "not" "absolutely mental".

Its also logical the later in the window the higher the fee due to the extra disruption and higher cost of any replacements.

Now if we sold Caglar a squad player at start of window for 85m, then I would perhaps agree on the description of the fee. :(

Next season a defender will be sold for 90+ million.  The season after 95+, The season after 100+, its inflation.

Profit from the move upper scale I would estimate at about 55m.   Assuming we dont buy a CB to replace him.

For me, the Maguire that ended last season was not palpably better than the one that started the season before.

A five-fold increase of 70 million quid (irrespective of sell-ons) is mental. 

2 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

I dont want to see pur squad picked apart....  and the gulf to the top six widened.

8 minutes ago, murphy said:

Isn't it £12m down?

I make it Perez (£30m), Justin (£10m), Tielemans (£40m) = £80m, against Maguire £80m 

That's a net spend of zero but we owe Hull 15% = £12m

Justin £8m, Tielemans £35m