Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Maguire to Man Utd / Man City

6 minutes ago, Gubbins said:

I think the pressure might get to him as well. He's now the most expensive defender in the world.  He HAS to be brilliant. He HAS to make a massive difference. Van Dijk levels of quality near every week. If (or given what we've seen for the past 2 years, when) he doesn't reach those levels he will be mocked and hammered, first by the legions who despise Man Utd, then the media and then the glory hunting Utd fans who's expectations will be dashed again. He's got far more chance of becoming the next Phil Jones than the next Van Dijk in my opinion.

This is going to be a huge culture shock for him. I really like Maguire, but he is susceptible defensively, as we all know. Signing him and Wan-Bissaka should improve their defence a lot, but there are still a lot of cracks for Man United to paper over.

The Man United team also lacks leaders. At Leicester you had Morgan or Evans next to him, Kasper at the back and Vardy up top. People who were big characters in the dressing room and on the pitch. Maguire will have to be that man for Man United now.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nepa fox said:

Only way to get better for Caglar is to play. I say plug him in.

i agree with this, but some dont feel hes ready, personally i think if hes given game time and that he'll vastly improve and im sure his engish has got better too, 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dave Fishwick said:

lets go and get Lewis Dunk then. Try not to spend 45 million though

we should have waited to announce the Maguire stuff as late as possible, now we're going to get rinsed on any deal :(

I don't trust Benkovic. Soyuncu looks alright but still feel we are one light in that area now

would love to use the money like so - 40m ish on a really good defender, someone who is going to come in and be solid from day 1 and doesn't have to get used to the league, then 20 mill on Butland, can learn under Schmeichel for a year, is Brexit proof. Good competition. Bank the other 20 mill for a rainy day and beers and donuts

Dear God no.

Just now, FrankieADZ said:

i agree with this, but some dont feel hes ready, personally i think if hes given game time and that he'll vastly improve and im sure his engish has got better too, 

Has all the tools. Just needs experience. If he gets fatigued, let him sit for game and let Wes get a game

• Like 1

Personally, I wouldn't run out and spend £40m on Dunk to replace him - I'd like to see us have a look at Benkovic or Soynucu, and if for any reason that doesn't work out, we've still got Wes who will do a job until January.

If we move for someone now, we're going to have the Liverpool/Andy Carroll situation, where everyone knows exactly how much we have to spend, and we pay way over the odds for a player that's alright, but not quite as good as Maguire (such as Dunk).

Still, wish him the very best - seems to have been a proper pro right the way through this, and I really hope it works out for him... as long as he isn't the difference between them finishing above us or below us! :)

• Like 1

Just now, Leicester_Loyal said:

Not for me. He's not ready and I suspect also not good enough.

Out of curiousity - based on what exactly?

• Like 2

Just now, TeePee said:

Also, assuming (and it is a big assumption!) we did sign Dunk for £40m... would you have taken that at the start of the window? Swapping Harry Maguire for Lewis Dunk and Youri Tielemens?

50/50 for me. If I had to pick, probably yes.

4 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

I just think he's not ready for a top 6 push. I hope he proves me wrong, but I think he needs another season developing and being a bit part. He makes the odd error, but then how do you rid that out of someones game, maybe by playing them.

I think we'll sign another CB, purely because he's unproven, Benko is injury prone and Wes is old.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal

4 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Just now, Leicester_Loyal said:

I just think he's not ready for a top 6 push. I hope he proves he wrong, but I think he needs another season developing and being a bit part. He makes the odd error, but then how do you rid that out of someones game, maybe by playing them.

I think we'll sign another CB, purely because he's unproven, Benko is injury prone and Wes is old.

Can't argue with that. Consider clarification delivered!

3 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

I’ve only seen him start once, against Huddersfield, and he gave a peno away in that game, shouldn’t judge on one game I know, but he didn’t look that good against a relegated side. Time will tell though.

Hol' up...

We're the selling club in a deal that will make him the most expensive defender in history.

That's quite something.

I actually didn't think they'd cough up. Part of me thinks we've absolutely pulled their pants down with this. But whatever, it's United. 

Live feed from Belvoir Drive:

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

Benko soduku or amartay.  Plenty of youth cover with Evans running the show !! Maguire wasn’t all that and was prone to be getting caught out of position when his midfield days kicked in.   Why throw stupid money away when you have 3 reasonable replacements already ? 

• Thanks 1

Okay, kinda controversial here but Manchester United haven’t been below 6th with Smalling / Jones as part of their squad. 

I actually don’t think the problem is their defence. It’s the lack of protection in front of it. They’ve not addressed that. 

They’ve spent a lot of money and I don’t think Maguire improves them as a defensive unit. I really don’t. He’s not a leader or an organiser. He’s looked better along side Evans, as he does that. What Harry does offer is great aerial ability and has this ability to get himself out of a hole when he’s out of position. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

The irony of Man United refusing to pay 60m for Maguire last season for 2x Champions League and 3x Premier League winning Manager Jose Mourinho only to then go and spend 25m more the following summer for a manager that was relegated with Cardiff is absolutely hilarious. 

Paid an extra £25m, despite not being anywhere near as good as he was the year before :crylaugh:

To think we could buy the tigers & still have £25m left in our pockets is insane lollollol 

Edited by Bluearmyfox28
  • Like 1