Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Maguire to Man Utd / Man City

7 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

So if I understand you right are you saying contracts are not enforceable? as you said there was little we could do.

We all know contracts mean nothing in football.

If a player wants to leave they get the move. Contracts just help the club get a higher fee.

1 hour ago, Goober said:

Do wonder how Brendan feels about this. Can't imagine he'll be too pleased about losing him a week before the season starts. 

Wouldnt blame him if he resigned, but I think he will just carry on, he has to really.  But if he does get any good form, and another club comes calling, this sale will likely affect his opinion of our ambition and make it more likely he would leave in such an event.

• Haha 4

Just now, Buce said:

Seriously, anyone describing Maguire as a 'great' footballer needs to buy a history of football book and a dictionary.

Pele was great. Maradonna was great. Beckenbaur and Bobby Moore were great. Ronaldo and Messi are great. Maguire doesn't warrant being spoken of in the same breath as these players. You might argue that he's the best English centre-half but he's not the best centre-half in England. If he's worth 90 million, what price Van Dijk?

£150 million now I’d guess. 

1 hour ago, That_Dude said:

He wanted to go and was never going to stay more than three season. His love story with MU began as long time ago. Remember his tweets about MU and the rumors at the beginning (or middle) of last season? Credit to him, he never made a fuss.

No one can decently be surprised by the outcome. Both sides are happy and MU got their pants royally down. 

I personally wish him all the best there. 

3 seasons would have been ok, but he only stayed two. :(

1 hour ago, Paddy. said:

We've negotiated a potential world record fee for a good but not outstanding player...and people are still complaining.

is money all that counts in football?

Why is the league table based on wins, draws, losses, goals etc instead of profits?

Just now, Chrysalis said:

I would expect a manager to be the decision maker not merely consulted.

Just remember though that a manager is a paid employee of the owners. he’s also not the most senior member of staff on the books

2 minutes ago, Buce said:

Seriously, anyone describing Maguire as a 'great' footballer needs to buy a history of football book and a dictionary.

Pele was great. Maradonna was great. Beckenbaur and Bobby Moore were great. Ronaldo and Messi are great. Maguire doesn't warrant being spoken of in the same breath as these players. You might argue that he's the best English centre-half but he's not the best centre-half in England. If he's worth 90 million, what price Van Dijk?

I'd argue those legends you mentioned would be in a class above just plain old 'Great' 

There are many 'Great' players in football, but only a handful of 'Exceptional' which players like Pele, Maradona, Ronaldo and Messi should be in.

Semantics though. 

I’m glad it looks like it’s finally done, and it’s a fantastic price but a little part of me feels sad that a player still wanted to leave us for what is in my opinion is a rancid mess of a club who are nowhere near the glory days of their past. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Livid said:

I’m glad it looks like it’s finally done, and it’s a fantastic price but a little part of me feels sad that a player still wanted to leave us for what is in my opinion is a rancid mess of a club who are nowhere near the glory days of their past. 

That's exactly how I feel too. Losing him to Man City would have been easier to accept. 

• Like 2

Guest Cujek

We proper pied them off on this one. 

Enjoy the toxic atmosphere Harry! 

Was really a bit shit last year, wouldn't expect him to improve this year really. 

5 minutes ago, LC/FC said:

I'd argue those legends you mentioned would be in a class above just plain old 'Great' 

There are many 'Great' players in football, but only a handful of 'Exceptional' which players like Pele, Maradona, Ronaldo and Messi should be in.

Semantics though. 

Well, I would argue 'exceptional' is a synonym of 'great' but I think we can nonetheless agree that Maguire is neither.

• Like 1

This is a dark day. Not coz we lost maguire..but for the messages it sends.

Ok players sign a contract for a long as you like in return for a big wage hike .... and dont worry coz we wont hold you to it. 

Come on top six club help yourselves to any of our players you fancy

I expected more

Edited by foxinsocks
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

If you have an intention of selling when they come back with a higher bid then you either sell early for less, or set a deadline midway through window and at that point flat out reject all bids.

When man utd fans were asked why are they not giving up, they gave a reasonable answer which was "because your club didnt flat out reject meaning they willing to sell".

We as much as a selling club as southampton, the main difference has been we have recruited somewhat better with the replacements.

Nothing wrong with it. I think there’s literally five clubs who can refuse if a bigger club comes calling. 

• Like 1

That’s football, there’s a pecking order and we’re higher up that order than ever but still cannot compete with the lure of playing for Man Utd, we’ve got a great price for him (assuming he’s gone) and now we can go and get someone from a team lower down the pecking order, and be hated by the supporters of that team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

So then.... so far we’ve made a profit of £12m this summer. Remember when people were giving the big one about spending big a week ago lol

Always wait until the end of the window before giving it large, it’s the golden rule. 

Isn't it £12m down?

I make it Perez (£30m), Justin (£10m), Tielemans (£40m) = £80m, against Maguire £80m 

That's a net spend of zero but we owe Hull 15% = £12m

1 hour ago, fox_up_north said:

I thought he'd go for 65-70 based on English premium, length of contract and the inflation of wages but that is absolutely mental.

For those worrying about breaking top 6 with Maguire - this money pays for the long term infrastructure of the club. 

Why do people keep calling this fee mental?

Dunk valued at 45m.

AWB moves for 54m

VVD moves a year ago for 70+ mill.

Mings squad player moves for 22.3m

Targett squad players moves for 14m

I would say this puts Maguire on the upper end of a expected fee range.  Valuation of 70-90m.  Based on existing transfers "from" EPL clubs in 2019.  Most definitely "not" "absolutely mental".

Its also logical the later in the window the higher the fee due to the extra disruption and higher cost of any replacements.

Now if we sold Caglar a squad player at start of window for 85m, then I would perhaps agree on the description of the fee. :(

Next season a defender will be sold for 90+ million.  The season after 95+, The season after 100+, its inflation.

Profit from the move upper scale I would estimate at about 55m.   Assuming we dont buy a CB to replace him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

This is a dark day. Not coz we lost maguire..but for the messages it sends.

Ok players sign a contract for a long as you like in return for a big wage hike .... and dont worry coz we wont hold you to it. 

Come on top six club help yourselves to any of our players you fancy

I expected more

Yep, we want to break into the top 6 whilst selling them our key players.  Odd approach.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

is money all that counts in football?

Why is the league table based on wins, draws, losses, goals etc instead of profits?

You're being a bit disingenuous here mate. If you'd read any of my posts you'd see that I've never wanted us to sell Maguire- I love the guy. However, he's decided he wants out and once that happens the clubs hand is forced. As such, negotiating a world record fee seems like a decent solution to me. 

Your second point about the league is just a bit daft to be honest.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

3 seasons would have been ok, but he only stayed two. :(

3 seasons were my maximum expectation when he signed and I somehow managed to mistake it with his actual stint at the club.

He didn't make them and went for MU even though they're actually in turmoil, which tells quite a bit about how he saw us. You can't keep a player who wants to go, you'll never get the best out of him anymore and MU were crazy enough to give us 85M for him. I will never hold any grudge against him and honestly wish him success. He always showed a professional attitude, did his job the best he could and never threw a fit. But to be completely frank, his whole transfer saga and its outcome left me quite indifferent.

Edited by That_Dude