Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StevieB

Seagrave Training Centre - Construction updates

2 hours ago, sylofox said:

Is it finished yet? Is june 1st handover day?

20 minutes ago, Fox in the North said:

29 June was previous handover date, however I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a few weeks to a months delay. 

Potential problem with that - club’s applied to change to one of the conditions of development - which essentially prohibits us from moving in to the ground until there is work done to improve the junction - they are claiming that COVID19 has prevented that from happening and all the locals are ****ing fuming about it, even claiming that the club are morally corrupt. 

3 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Potential problem with that - club’s applied to change to one of the conditions of development - which essentially prohibits us from moving in to the ground until there is work done to improve the junction - they are claiming that COVID19 has prevented that from happening and all the locals are ****ing fuming about it, even claiming that the club are morally corrupt. 

It's certainly a dodgy junction. I'm sure there was a fatal accident there a few years back when the driver turned right into oncoming traffic from Syston. 

Why don't they just block that junction until the work has been completed?

As others have said, you can just join the road and turn back at a safer junction further on. It's been years since I raced cycling time trials along that stretch of the A46 (the start was opposite the entrance to the golf course, now training ground) but on the 10mile we'd exit at 6 Hills and follow the road under the dual carriage way. Of you do that you can rejoin southbound safely.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Plastik Man said:

It's certainly a dodgy junction. I'm sure there was a fatal accident there a few years back when the driver turned right into oncoming traffic from Syston. 

Why don't they just block that junction until the work has been completed?

As others have said, you can just join the road and turn back at a safer junction further on. It's been years since I raced cycling time trials along that stretch of the A46 (the start was opposite the entrance to the golf course, now training ground) but on the 10mile we'd exit at 6 Hills and follow the road under the dual carriage way. Of you do that you can rejoin southbound safely.

They've had a 'strict' policy of directing all construction traffic immediately away from Seagrave and then explicitly left at the A46 junction, though you can't control what people actually do in the moment, and according to the complaint letters there have been a few incidents of both those conditions being ignored.

It's weird that the councils and highway authorities completely refuse to do anything about it aside from the adjustments in the training ground plan; according to one resident who used to own the land before the golf course bought it he applied to make changes to it even then in the 90s, but never did and still haven't come to fruition. 

46 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Are these major changes? I don't know this junction so not aware of what the work involves. How long is it likely to take? 

Not according to the plans I found online, although I'm not certain they were the latest or final plans. They just show enlarging the central reserve cross over for exiting, mainly to accomodate coaches. The other half is a civil engineer in road scheme construction and estimates 3 - 4 weeks.

I'm still baffled why this wasn't started prior to Covid considering the June opening date for the training ground.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, The Padster said:

Training ground off to the left

469CAAC3-1D57-4698-9324-918B49B5873E.jpeg

So coming away from the training ground, turning right southbound towards the city whilst crossing two carriageways is the issue? Once the work starts the junction will be closed, I presume, so perhaps they'll close it early. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

So coming away from the training ground, turning right southbound towards the city whilst crossing two carriageways is the issue? Once the work starts the junction will be closed, I presume, so perhaps they'll close it early. 

Driving from the north and turning right is messy too. Short slip road and potential for a nasty back up collision.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, LestaAl said:

......one of the most dangerous junctions in the county, they should block the ability to cross the carriageways as soon as poss.

Wouldn’t that just make it more dangerous, having all those cars perpendicular to the oncoming traffic but unable to get across? 🤣

1 hour ago, WarehamFox said:

Is there not enough council/highways land to build a roundabout? 

I would think if you built it coming straight off the Seagrave Rd where there seems to be a bit of space, then angled the road from the training ground towards it then it looks like you could put one there. 

4 hours ago, Spudulike said:

No, they're not closing the junction just widening the reservation. Closing it would make it safer, not really sure the changes improve safety for the general motorist, you'll still cross the dual carraigeway to turn right from either direction.

32 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

No, they're not closing the junction just widening the reservation. Closing it would make it safer, not really sure the changes improve safety for the general motorist, you'll still cross the dual carraigeway to turn right from either direction.

I'm guessing the locals must believe it makes the junction safer. Or perhaps its just the final push back by the disgruntled few. 

Guest SO1
3 hours ago, urban fox said:

This really is a nasty junction. Easy to misjudge the speed of traffic on the A46. Admittley it was 20 years ago now but i know someone who's daughter was killed in an accident there.

That's the best point yet. Probably should build an overpass with exit/entrance ramps. The older I get the harder it is to judge distance at faster speeds. Especially at night.

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Pienty of room for a roundabout offset on the left but not plenty of money for the council to get it done .....

I thought we were paying for the improvements?

4 hours ago, pSinatra said:

I used to drive to Newark & back every day.  Coming home in the afternoon, even though there's a speed camera (70mph) I would prepare myself to slam the brakes on should some dozy twat do something stupid.

If you are in the left-hand lane going south, some cars turning right from the Seagrave direction would pull out into traffic - using your right hand lane to build up speed.  So you would be undertaking them.  I'd seen it enough times, that I was able to anticipate it.  The first time it happens though, you absolutely crap yourself & I have seen people brake hard.

It's a terrible junction & I'm with whoever is campaigning to improve it's safety.  It has never been safe.  It will piss the locals off, but I think they should make the junction 'left turn only'.  They would have to go up to Six Hills, under the A46 & back down the other side.  

They should 100% just close off the junction. Easy, cheap and solves the problem right away. 

• Like 1