Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StevieB

Seagrave Training Centre - Construction updates

15 minutes ago, brucey said:

Why have the club applied to remove the requirement then? 

I'd hope if the junction is anywhere near being potentially dangerous, which it sounds like it is, that the club should do all it could to avoid risks to staff. Especially given our recent history of travel related tragedy. 

Good question. Developers of any kind, regardless of our cult-like allegiance, should follow through with commitments if they're causing an increase in traffic.

I'm glad we've not just had a load of knee-jerk defending of the club over the concerned residents in this thread since this topic came up. This should be treated at face value, like any private organisation causing potential issues with the existing road system.

19 minutes ago, brucey said:

Why have the club applied to remove the requirement then? 

I'd hope if the junction is anywhere near being potentially dangerous, which it sounds like it is, that the club should do all it could to avoid risks to staff. Especially given our recent history of travel related tragedy. 

I understood it was the Highways responsibility and they're not available to do it  in time for the opening so I think we've asked for a temporary change to the agreement to allow us to move in. 

Could be wrong mind.

1 minute ago, Footballwipe said:

Good question. Developers of any kind, regardless of our cult-like allegiance, should follow through with commitments if they're causing an increase in traffic.

I'm glad we've not just had a load of knee-jerk defending of the club over the concerned residents in this thread since this topic came up. This should be treated at face value, like any private organisation causing potential issues with the existing road system.

I agree, think it helps that a lot of us use and don't like that junction! You can absolutely see how multiple cars leaving at once would create a real issue for safety.

It needs sorting, and in advance of that maybe they could use a park and ride style minibus to/from six hills, and utilising the roundabout near syston rather than crossing the a46, if indeed it is due to the roundabout having to be done by highways and them causing the delay.

1 minute ago, davieG said:

I understood it was the Highways responsibility and they're not available to do it  in time for the opening so I think we've asked for a temporary change to the agreement to allow us to move in. 

Could be wrong mind.

We don't know how long until Highways are able to do it due to Covid, and that's unavoidable. The question here is whether we should be moving in at all before the work is done, even if that gets delayed for a year or so.

I would argue it's not worth it. Belvoir Drive is still perfectly functional and can be used for as long as needs be. We are taking all these covid precautions to minimise the miniscule chance of a footballer dying from it, yet an accident at a dangerous junction is at least as likely, if not more. Footballers are not the greatest drivers at the best of times. If anything were to happen (career threatening injury or death), due to us rushing to move into our shiny new place, that would be disastrous. An unpredictable helicopter malfunction is one thing.. an entirely avoidable tragedy is quite another. There is no urgency here, we've already paid, no money is at stake. 

11 minutes ago, brucey said:

We don't know how long until Highways are able to do it due to Covid, and that's unavoidable. The question here is whether we should be moving in at all before the work is done, even if that gets delayed for a year or so.

I would argue it's not worth it. Belvoir Drive is still perfectly functional and can be used for as long as needs be. We are taking all these covid precautions to minimise the miniscule chance of a footballer dying from it, yet an accident at a dangerous junction is at least as likely, if not more. Footballers are not the greatest drivers at the best of times. If anything were to happen (career threatening injury or death), due to us rushing to move into our shiny new place, that would be disastrous. An unpredictable helicopter malfunction is one thing.. an entirely avoidable tragedy is quite another. There is no urgency here, we've already paid, no money is at stake. 

Oh yeah I wasn't trying to justify it just giving out what i seem to remember about the circumstances and it's certainly nothing to do with penny pinching as in....

image.thumb.jpeg.a4de3adf057433ffe9ee8a4184f39d8c.jpeg

14 minutes ago, brucey said:

There are costs involved in running both sites and they might need to sell Belvoir Drive to offset costs.

mainly though you've got all that expensive equipment and you want to use it. The new training ground was meant to improve the team and you want that improvement sooner rather than later.

Another thought presuming it would all be ready but it could mean the players could all set up home there and so avoid going home and reducing the risks.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, davieG said:

Another thought presuming it would all be ready but it could mean the players could all set up home there and so avoid going home and reducing the risks.

That could work? The players are going to have rooms there each when it's ready so it could be like a quarantine camp! 

So basically the club should instruct all staff (and anyone coming to the training ground) not to use the junction and to detour 5 minutes using the next roundabout and making a u turn. 

whilst human nature will make people do otherwise, it should be stressed that this needs to be observed - it’s an instruction, not a request. 

8 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

So basically the club should instruct all staff (and anyone coming to the training ground) not to use the junction and to detour 5 minutes using the next roundabout and making a u turn. 

whilst human nature will make people do otherwise, it should be stressed that this needs to be observed - it’s an instruction, not a request. 

Or the next slip road... not necessarily down to next roundabout. The next slip road isn’t particularly dangerous in my opinion 

53 minutes ago, NAKC20 said:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/watch-heart-stopping-a46-near-2948228

When you get idiots like this trying to cross the junction you can see why someting needs to be done.

what an absolute dickhead. And driving a minibus too!

How fuching stupid do you have to be to drive like this?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

image.thumb.jpeg.a4de3adf057433ffe9ee8a4184f39d8c.jpeg:revenge:

In fairness, it is a really bad junction and with the increased volume of traffic something could happen..... but with all the traffic for construction, to my knowledge there hasn't been an increase.

57 minutes ago, Rusko187 said:

In fairness, it is a really bad junction and with the increased volume of traffic something could happen..... but with all the traffic for construction, to my knowledge there hasn't been an increase.

The traffic for construction isn't allowed to use the junction tho is it?

They are under instruction to turn left only at the 46 when leaving the site for definite and can be reported if seen doing otherwise. Not sure about when entering from Newark direction. Do they have to go to ratcliffe and turn under the 46 and come back or are they allowed to cross the flow of traffic from syston direction?

Guest SO1
2 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

what an absolute dickhead. And driving a minibus too!

How fuching stupid do you have to be to drive like this?

Morons abound. Aggressive, impatient or distracted driving will put you in an opportunity for tragedy no matter what the situation.

Stop lights, roundabouts, and train crossings, nothing seems to work. Bet that van was a bit smelly after that though.

1 hour ago, Bayfox said:

They are under instruction to turn left only at the 46 when leaving the site for definite and can be reported if seen doing otherwise. Not sure about when entering from Newark direction. Do they have to go to ratcliffe and turn under the 46 and come back or are they allowed to cross the flow of traffic from syston direction?

In the article above about the near miss with the minibus it said:

"They said they have prohibited longer vehicles from crossing the carriageway to use the gap but minibuses were still allowed to go across."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8348459/Brendan-Rodgers-says-Leicesters-new-100m-training-base-help-compete-Europes-best.html

Brendan Rodgers says Leicester's new £100m training base will help them compete with Europe's best

Brendan Rodgers believes Leicester's new training ground will give them a platform to compete with Europe's best teams.

Construction work is ongoing on the £100million base to the north of the city, which Rodgers hopes will allow Leicester to move in before the start of next season.

If the 2019-20 campaign resumes next month, Leicester will fancy their chances of securing Champions League football. They are third in the table with nine matches remaining, and have an eight-point gap to fifth-placed Manchester United.

Brendan Rodgers says Leicester's new training base will let them compete with Europe's best

Brendan Rodgers says Leicester's new training base will let them compete with Europe's best

Construction work is ongoing on the £100m facility and Rodgers hopes his side will move soon

Construction work is ongoing on the £100m facility and Rodgers hopes his side will move soon

Rodgers told beIN Sports: 'There's ambition with the club. We can never compete financially with the top six but we can be competitive [on the pitch]. 

'We move to a new training ground later in the summer which will be one of the best in the world.

'The consistency has been great to see. Up until Christmas we were on a great run. After Christmas there are challenges with a young squad, but any bumps we've had, we've been able to get over that.

Leicester also hold an eight-point gap over Manchester United in the race for a top four place

Leicester also hold an eight-point gap over Manchester United in the race for a top four place

'It's always refreshing when you work with a group who are so hungry to learn. They want to be better, they want to improve. But then you have senior players who are top-class professionals and that always helps.

'I wouldn't like to say I'm surprised because we've done a lot of hard work on and off the pitch, but it's always nice when you see the fruits of your work.'

When the Premier League does start again, Leicester forward Jamie Vardy will need just one more goal to complete his century in the competition.

• Thanks 4

4 hours ago, Bayfox said:

Only in specific directions as you point out to exit... not that it stops some, but even on a quiet day it's an awful junction to exit to head towards Syston. I pulled into the central area and a van (couldn't tell you if it was from the training ground) pulled alongside me, completely blocking my view up the carriageway.

12 hours ago, davieG said:

Could be wrong mind.

If it's a temporary request that shouldn't be an issue as the works were because of the volume of traffic and coaches that would increase due to the training ground. At the current time that volume won't be reached, no matches or coaches if it's just the first team squad training. Highways Agency crews should be back long before we're hosting matches. 

Although given that it was due to open next month I'm wondering why highways agency hadn't actually started the works prior to Covid. Surely with the additional construction traffic this should've been done much sooner? 

Just now, sylofox said:

This could be such a boost to our players in this mini season. Surely a switch to a stat of the arts training ground will be a boost.

Got to bed in and get used to the place, it's like moving house. Season we won the League, West Ham were getting their new ground done with a couple months left of the season and moved in early to make use of the facilities but their form ultimately dipped.