Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Cricket 2019

Another great day's cricket today. Lads did really well to battle through some tough periods. Burns brilliant.

Crowd were incredible too. 'Championés' and 'you cheating bastards, you know what you are' were my 2 personal favorites

• Like 2

Guest MattP

Awesome day what a knock from Burns 

@David Guiza you could have a cracking day Sunday, crowd were mental today a thing guy dressed as Andre the Giant got carried out naked after throwing up.

The fans are lapping it up after the World Cup ein. Sunday sold out today 

Was there yesterday. Hotter than expected for starters!

Great atmosphere. Can't knock it at all. We were sat in Raglan, so opposite Eric Hollies and the noise from that end of the crowd was superb. Not sure how it sounded on the TV but I doubt it did it justice!

Yesterday, even if it was only a day's worth watching, made me realise how much I'd missed Test Cricket with all the ODI/T20 cricket we've been pummelled with for the best part of the last 3 months. 

Regarding the batting, Burns never looked unsettled. Very solid innings. I think Australia's appeals (albeit at times silly) were just out of desperation to get a wicket and influence the 'collapse' England are famed for these days. Burns' stance is lovably weird lol. The arched back with a lean-forward and utmost concentration. Definitely unique. You surely have to be looking at a total towards 375-400 now? Stokes supported Burns well and today will be a similar wicket in similar conditions I'd guess. Have those 2 at the crease without losing early wickets and you'd be set for a strong day. Bairstow and Woakes still to come in and they can bat a bit. Gotta pile the pressure on Australia while they're still desperate, get them frustrated.

• Like 1

Why is Roy deemed an opener for the Test series? 

May be completely wrong here, but he seems to be best in the ODI where he can just attack the ball rather than having to play defensive and stay in. Find hes either hitting 50+ or is getting out below 20.

Similar to how Bairstow is lower in the order for a simialr reason and due to being wicket.

Whereas Burns, you can tell he's a test player with how he seemed content hitting and defending shots all day.

1 minute ago, UniFox21 said:

May be completely wrong here, but he seems to be best in the ODI where he can just attack the ball rather than having to play defensive and stay in. Find hes either hitting 50+ or is getting out below 20.

Similar to how Bairstow is lower in the order for a simialr reason and due to being wicket.

Whereas Burns, you can tell he's a test player with how he seemed content hitting and defending shots all day.

Not many other better options!

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

I think they want him to bat at four but we've got no other options to open. Hopefully Burns will nail down one opening place and we can find a suitable partner. God I long for the days of Strauss, Cook and Trott as the top three, incredibly dependable.

58 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Horses for courses isn’t it? We’re trying Roy but as you say he’s an aggressive stroke player not a grinder, problem is we’ve been through so many openers Lyth, Robson, Stoneman, Jennings, the Lancs lad whose name I forget plus others and cast them aside too quickly in some cases, we need to stick with Burns and either persevere with Roy and accept he will often get out cheaply or give someone else an opportunity and stick with them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Was there yesterday. Hotter than expected for starters!

Great atmosphere. Can't knock it at all. We were sat in Raglan, so opposite Eric Hollies and the noise from that end of the crowd was superb. Not sure how it sounded on the TV but I doubt it did it justice!

Yesterday, even if it was only a day's worth watching, made me realise how much I'd missed Test Cricket with all the ODI/T20 cricket we've been pummelled with for the best part of the last 3 months. 

Regarding the batting, Burns never looked unsettled. Very solid innings. I think Australia's appeals (albeit at times silly) were just out of desperation to get a wicket and influence the 'collapse' England are famed for these days. Burns' stance is lovably weird lol. The arched back with a lean-forward and utmost concentration. Definitely unique. You surely have to be looking at a total towards 375-400 now? Stokes supported Burns well and today will be a similar wicket in similar conditions I'd guess. Have those 2 at the crease without losing early wickets and you'd be set for a strong day. Bairstow and Woakes still to come in and they can bat a bit. Gotta pile the pressure on Australia while they're still desperate, get them frustrated.

400 from here should be a minimum, still plenty in the wicket for the bowlers, turn, a little bit uneven (which I like) and a little bit of nibble, a first innings lead of anything over 120 will put huge pressure on the Aussies