Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Cricket 2019

On 06/09/2019 at 08:05, fuchsntf said:

This is a New group of selectors.....!!!

You cant Blame selectors,they are not responsible for the Lack of high talent in the County game....

Plus this squad,was still the best around & had Experience und runs. 98% would have been chosen by the Knowledge hardened cricket fans..

Flights of fancy by Posters and then throwing names into the Pot doesn  cut it....!!!

Just because One has an opinion on selection,doesn  mean any is better or worse...

I would have chosen Curran,but we have seen 2 new bowlers break through in Archer & Leach,and Woakes had earnt his selection...

We had to give Burns a crack,and no I wouldnt have chosen Denley,but bis selection was has good/bad as any..

We had to try Roy....there still might be a nr4 in him...!!

Stokes the hero,hasnt been Good in every game.    Our best batsman & captain,has not had a good series. Bairstow & Butler have misfired,but so

have their middle-order... Steve Smith Maybe be an ass,but hes become a super World class batsman,he being the  Major difference between the 2 teams.

Though I would say,their Bowling attack,no matter who they chose,are more disciplined in line and length  than ours,but that as always been the case..!!!

You certainly can blame the selectors, James Taylor & Ed Smith have gotten the choices wrong but having looked into this further this way be more wrongdoing of the ECB. Ed Smith has a crush on Denly and was his pick, but given his age of 34 hardly a glowing endorsement of building a test team for the future.

i disagree on the lack of talent in the county game, there plenty of forms players they could have selected for the Ashes including Sibley (who scored half centuries against Australia in a warm up match) Pope, Northeast, Crawley, Hain or Bell-Drummond hardly names out of a pot. Most of these are 30 or under and could be given time to develop, the England Lions is meant as a pathway to the senior side, however if these players perform then they should be selected yet they haven't been.

The squad chosen wasn't the best available, yes Roy had a good world cup but has barely played any red ball cricket so was chosen on white ball performances but also for having a contract with the ECB probably a white ball version so have tried to get a test opener on the cheap.   

I don't agree either that the team had lots of runs, look up how many times we have been bowled out for less than 200 in the last years & how many times we have reached over 350 runs its pretty low. 

With so many test players not in good form the World cup must have been used to mask the current abilities- Bairstow/Buttler/Roy/Root, i'm not suggesting they should all be dropped but surely they should have tried where possible to squeeze in some red ball game time? A short match against Ireland isn't a proper warm up to a 5 match Ashes series all good cricket fans know this (ECB and Coaching staff errors). They should have either gone back and played a county game or play an interim game against the Lions 4 or 5 day to put some miles in the legs, also this would have appealed more fans to attend and generate revenue for the ECB. 

I agree we should have chosen Curran in earlier matches to give us a left arm option and add some variety not to mention some valuable runs with the bat, also he came into the test side last year and a strong Kohli led India side and single handed won us two tests. Hardly a new test bowler? 

With regards to the rest of the squad, we have no identity we still haven't solved the opening partnership questions or the middle order. This issue has been with us for over two years now and is worse now Cook has retired. We also lack balance or variety in both batting and bowling, Roy should never have been selected as his defence technique isn't good enough at test level, Denly is take or leave should at 34 he isn't going to improve the side yet has put a few gritty innings. Stokes is an all-rounder yet but the test team has leaned on his batting mostly and has shown the courage and ability to fight in on the big occasion ala World cup n Headingly innings. 

The fact they have had to move the batting order around during the series shows poor and amateurish selection by the selectors and the ECB.  

Our middle order has too many similar players in Baistow/Buttler who are both good players but personally we should only play one to increase the competition, they can both punish the opposition with the speed of scoring and shot selection. i only look inwards Aussies middle order has performed about the same as ours Steve Smith is a freak but plays with a test temperament, the fact that we have to bounce him out of a test shows we don't have a consistent plan to ball towards him.  

Overall there Bowling unit is the best overall in test Cricket and i agree they bowled with better line and length during the whole series, we used the same ball and you would have thought playing at home we should have bowled better and used the conditions better. i like seeing Archer and look forward to seeing how he develops, its a shame Anderson got injured and surely would have given us a better chance to win the Ashes but was not to be. 

Personally after the Ashes has concluded i would like to see the following side tour New Zealand/South Africa:

Sibley

Burns

Pope

Root (VC)

Foakes (W)

Stokes (C)

Woakes

Curran

Archer

Leach

Broad

Part of the 15: Bairstow/Northeast/Ali/Wood or Anderson if fit

Going with the above gives us a good platform with a better balance between Bat n Ball, We have 5 dedicated batsmen up top with 4 seamers with Stokes as a fifth change so focus on captaincy.

• Like 4

Burns

Sibley

Pope

Root

Stokes

Bairstow/Buttler

Foakes

Curran/Woakes

Archer

Leach

Broad/Anderson

Something like that this Winter would be encouraging. Has Foakes become a better player than he actually is in his absence from the side? Possibly, but I think he's our best glove man and he looked handy enough with the bat last Winter.

Feel like we've enough talent in our ranks to be excited about the future. The planning for this Ashes in terms of selection has been truly horrendous though. 

Hopefully we can level up the series, lick our wounds and rebuild. Looking forward to the Winter if we're brave enough to make some changes.

I bet they'll stick with Root as skipper too. So hopefully he's learned a LOT this Summer.

29 minutes ago, Walkers said:

Isn't Pope a 5 or 6? Sticking him in at 3 stinks of what we've done in the past just putting players where the holes are. Granted I put Northeast in at 3 when I think he opens lol Makes more sense to do that than promoting someone up the order in such an important position

Yeah, we put Pope at four when he'd never batted that high for his county. The current selectors love putting square pegs in round holes.

6 hours ago, Manini said:

Their bowling attack is without doubt world class and its won them this series (maybe?) but let’s not pretend this is a Goliath of an Australian side

I don't know if you intentionally did it, but saying their bowling attack won them the series is a huge discredit to Steve Smith. 

Without his runs, they'd have been nowhere near winning it. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, StanSP said:

I don't know if you intentionally did it, but saying their bowling attack won them the series is a huge discredit to Steve Smith. 

Without his runs, they'd have been nowhere near winning it. 

No to be fair that wasn’t intentional, human error. 

You are right. 

Biggest problem for me is the lack of red ball preparation. Not just England either, all sides seem to be struggling with this. Smith is just so good that it doesn't matter to him. All the one day players have played very little red ball cricket in the past few years.

Sibley will get a go next in New Zealand i'd imagine. Someone needs to bat 3 to allow Root to bat 4, Stokes at 5 then Bairstow/Buttler/Roy or 6, Foakes at 7 so the others can concentrate on batting (although no idea what kind of county season he has had), a third choice bowler probably Woakes at this stage, 2 of Broad/Anderson/Archer, Leach or Ali depending on conditions and form.

Buttler would be great if we had a reliable top 5, imagine him coming in with 250/300 on the board, he would take the game away in Gilchrist style. He is almost trying to hard to adapt his game to test cricket but it doesn't play to his strengths.

Won't get anywhere until we get a reliable opening partnership and someone that wants to bat at 3. Can't keep going into new series with new players.

• Like 1

Smith showing his true colours by getting personal and taking the piss out of leach.

And lyon being the ring leader again.

They're a horrible side and they'll be up to their old cheating tricks as soon as they lose a few games again.

Wish more sides would get as personal to them as they do to others.

De Kock did it to them and their whole world collapsed.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

Smith showing his true colours by getting personal and taking the piss out of leach.

They're a horrible side and they'll be up to their old cheating tricks as soon as they lose a few games again.

What was said/done? 

2 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

Biggest problem for me is the lack of red ball preparation. Not just England either, all sides seem to be struggling with this. Smith is just so good that it doesn't matter to him. All the one day players have played very little red ball cricket in the past few years.

Sibley will get a go next in New Zealand i'd imagine. Someone needs to bat 3 to allow Root to bat 4, Stokes at 5 then Bairstow/Buttler/Roy or 6, Foakes at 7 so the others can concentrate on batting (although no idea what kind of county season he has had), a third choice bowler probably Woakes at this stage, 2 of Broad/Anderson/Archer, Leach or Ali depending on conditions and form.

Buttler would be great if we had a reliable top 5, imagine him coming in with 250/300 on the board, he would take the game away in Gilchrist style. He is almost trying to hard to adapt his game to test cricket but it doesn't play to his strengths.

Won't get anywhere until we get a reliable opening partnership and someone that wants to bat at 3. Can't keep going into new series with new players.

I said all of this on the last page :ph34r:

16 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

Took the piss out of leach (ridiculous really) and lyon called the press *****.

‘Classless’ Steve Smith slammed after mocking Jack Leach with glasses celebration after retaining...
thesun.co.uk

Aussie cricketers have rarely been known for being graceful winners - tbh though it's that mentality that has often made them winners in the past.

4 hours ago, Abrasive fox said:

hopefully Bancroft and Warner's careers will be over due to their being shite all series. 

56 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

Took the piss out of leach (ridiculous really) and lyon called the press *****.

‘Classless’ Steve Smith slammed after mocking Jack Leach with glasses celebration after retaining...
thesun.co.uk

Is that it? 

All he did was wear the glasses right? 

Is it a bad thing just because it's Steve Smith doing it? 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Taking the piss out of any sporting opponent you've just beaten isn't exactly graceful, is it?

I'm gonna go out on a whim and say its not the first time any sportsman has done this and it seems like there's a big fuss about it just because it's Smith and the history that precedes him.

Not saying it's not graceful to do it, but it's hardly the worst thing in the world to do. It lives up to the rivalry and spark between the 2 teams. I beg the question of what an England player would do in Australia if he was booed and targeted all series (rightfully, mind) and then wins in their rivals back yard. Just sit there and not rub it in? Nah. Some England players would milk it and lap it up and fair play to them if so. 

He's celebrated with glasses with a bit of humour. It's not like he's pissed on them or taken a massive shit on them and burnt a Leach shirt while doing so. Literally just worn some glasses. 

I will agree that Lyon is a cvnt, however :D