Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Cricket 2019

The result the tournament needed. Just wish it wasn't at our expense!

Off to Old Trafford tomorrow, so hope the Windies take heart from it and we get a good contest. If someone could shock the Aussies and India now, that'd be great...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, surrifox said:

We’ve been favourites before and it’s all gone wrong . I hope I’m wrong but the total lack of application (Root and Stokes excepted) in this batting performance reminded me of past England sides going into World Cups as highly fancied only to fall short. India looked like favourites before the tournament started and IMHO remain so 

Based on what I've seen this tournament India are the most complete side around. We've gone and lost a couple of tight games we really shouldn't have lost and some frailties in the batting have been exposed today.

Anyone questioning why this side were favorites coming into the tournament can't have been paying attention to what they'd been doing in white ball cricket for a long while though. Lot of people putting on their hindsight specs as I saw no real questioning of our 'favorites' tag beforehand.

Hope we can fix up on Tuesday, seriously big game now.

Edited by Goober

18 minutes ago, MattP said:

Ali and Archer need shooting for those shots, why would you do it with Stokes at the other end??

We are still a team that isn't great on a slows pitch and you can guarantee that's what we'll get when the I (ndian) CC set those pitches for the SF.

As an aside though how fantastic to see a great low scoring game on a slow pitch, need more of them.

I think it's only IPL fanboys who love Slog Slog Slog CC v Crash Bash Smash XI type affairs, even though it's the type of cricket we excel at at the moment.

Ball slightly on top will always produce the best games. Luckily we live in a country where that happens more frequently than elsewhere.

3 minutes ago, Goober said:

Based on what I've seen this tournament India are the most complete side around. We've gone and lost a couple of tight games we really shouldn't have lost and some frailties in the batting have been exposed today.

Anyone questioning why this side were favorites coming into the tournament can't have been paying attention to what they'd been doing in white ball cricket for a long while though. Lot of people putting on their hindsight specs as I saw no real questioning of our 'favorites' tag beforehand.

Hope we can fix up on Tuesday, seriously big game now.

Apologies, i hadnt been paying attention tbf, i just get riled up when our world class players play brainless shots and in my opinion play them more often than other class players.

But yes I had my hindsight specs on as you rightly say, I just hope we learn our lesson quickly on these types of pitches.

I expect the Australian's to walk out with a swagger and a cockyness on Tuesday..which usually makes for a prety dangerous Australian team.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, EastAnglianFox said:

Apologies, i hadnt been paying attention tbf, i just get riled up when our world class players play brainless shots and in my opinion play them more often than other class players.

But yes I had my hindsight specs on as you rightly say, I just hope we learn our lesson quickly on these types of pitches.

I expect the Australian's to walk out with a swagger and a cockyness on Tuesday..which usually makes for a prety dangerous Australian team.

I don’t think we’ll ever learn our lesson lol 

Hopefully Roy is back fit and the conditions favour Plunkett over Ali, Vince just isn’t good enough and Mo is winding me up big time at the minute. I’d just make us favourites if we have those 2 back. 

Aussies have some frightening match winners though, even if man for man they’re not as strong as they once were.

Buzzing for it now though.

2 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Braindead shot from Mo.

I was in the gym on the treadmill watching it. I actually got seriously irritated and vocal at his stupidness

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

When we're good we're brilliant but when we're bad we're fvckin awful.

59 minutes ago, Goober said:

Based on what I've seen this tournament India are the most complete side around.

Perhaps. But we beat them here 2-1 in an ODI series last summer.

53 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Aussies and India look the best 2 teams by miles at the moment. We've got issues and need to up our game badly.

Aussies don't. They look competent due to three or four world class players. Annoyed they're basically nailed on for a semi spot.

Well, at least this focuses the team on what needs to be done.

Beat at least one of India, Aus or NZ, two to make certain. They've got to be doing that if they're going to win the thing anyway.

Additionally, home record against all of those teams combined in the last series they've played against all of them stands at 10-3 in England's favour.

India will go over 400 today....

England..Ali has to be benched. Plunkket will get you wickets,and sometimes runs,when under pressure..Ali had a chance yesterday to prove he could help to take us home...he failed again...

Vince failed again....bring in Curran. Woakes then at at 3 or 4?? . Curran or Plunket 6 or 7.Curran is a bowler who will bring runs. Vince has not brought quick high runs to the team..so he can be dropped!!

Butcher is not yet firing.....

So do we now play around with that opener slot.Root has proven he is our great no3,ditto for Morgan at no4.

So do we put Butcher has opener ,if Roy is not yet ready????

If Butcher only gets 2-30,he's not worse than Vince....we have great 3 & 4s,with Stokes finding form at 5 .but with Woakes occasionally at 3 or 4,if it works...30+ quick runs,great!! If not ,!!one can recover & reasses the situ,knowing better batsman will follow.

then Curran,Plunkett ,Rashid your late middle order..All take wickets.

.I see no place now for Ali..!!!     Rashid is a wicket taker. Sometimes he gets you 20-30 runs,sometime 5... Archer,Wood need even during tournament,batting practice...let the coaching staff

earn their money..instead of gawking while sitting  on their arses when it's too late....

Nice to see England are not the only team who play silly shots,when it's not necessary... I still think India can get 400,even when losing early wickets...!!!

Edited by fuchsntf

18 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Will be surprised mate. 

Losing 2 wickets early on wasn't the plan! 

If afg,  don't take 3-4 early wickets,a d Kohli stays around for a big 100,India's low order can score quickly.Better than than the phantom English long tail!!!

up to now ,when asked twice now and once in the Windies,England tail has not wagged....They have not confirmed yet the OTT media hype!!!!

Against Pakistan & yesterday against SLanka....that was the biggest failing,where they lost their magic-shadow  over other teams..I

The chance was there,but the English lack of discipline,but hardened mental resolve,was brought crashing down,from a poor S.lanke side...

I don't believe India in tournaments have that collapse been in them!!!!  Though I believe England will win 2 of the last 3 games,if not all....

England have found something different within themselves, plus they have more quality through the team than ever before!!!

Their strength is their weakness..!!!  If they all click,with only 1-2 misfiring (batting & bowling) they are unstoppable

40 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Will be surprised mate. 

Losing 2 wickets early on wasn't the plan! 

As we have been exchanging posts....I now agree!!!  

Afg, have done well with Runrate...For an high 300,Dohni and Kohli have to whip out their big guns....or it will end up 290-320.

Still too much for AFg..!!!   God wouldn't it be great if AFg. shock us!!!