Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Cricket 2019

7 minutes ago, trabuch said:

I wish I had tickets - but thinking about it there will be lots on the market because the Indians were convinced they would be in the final. My soft spot for NZ goes back as far as Hadlee. And Jeremy Coney is one of my favourite TMS commentators. It will be a super Sunday - and England might actually win a World Cup.

This is one for you in that case...gets me every time 

• Haha 4

I thought this snippet and the whole BBC interview and analyse with Kohli was excellent...

India had the stars, New Zealand had the team. India's backroom staff earn more than many corporate professionals, New Zealand don't have the funds for that kind of extravagance.

9 hours ago, Manini said:

I’m confident we can do it on Sunday, but if NZ win, fair play. I’ve loved watching them in this World Cup, I think Williamson is brilliant, Ferguson is fantastic, Ross Taylor is awesome and I’ve always had a soft spot for NZ teams of years gone by (Oram, Fleming, McCullum, Vettori). It’ll be a worthy new name on the trophy come Sunday tea time whatever happens so let the best team win I say, what an unreal day and occasion it’s going to be...if anybody on here has tickets cherish every moment it will be once in a lifetime stuff :thumbup:

9 hours ago, trabuch said:

I wish I had tickets - but thinking about it there will be lots on the market because the Indians were convinced they would be in the final. My soft spot for NZ goes back as far as Hadlee. And Jeremy Coney is one of my favourite TMS commentators. It will be a super Sunday - and England might actually win a World Cup.

I reckon if I could get tickets,I would enjoy being there for the occasion & atmosphere...but I would take a laptop so I could watch the action close on TV..

Cricket ( I was member at Grace road for years)..I believe is a sport you enjoy better on TV..

I believe England will win!

But there are at least 5 NZ players that can turn it..

Guptil ,quiet so far..

Williamson..because he just is!!

Taylor..always a nusiance against Us.

Boult..WClass opening swing Bowler.

Ferguson..just keeps coming at you..

The toss...good one to lose..!!

On 29/06/2019 at 14:52, Blueman1967 said:

Australia will win the world cup, they preform when it matters, two players with some thing to prove, and a half decent bowling attack

Got that mege wrong, well done lads, that was sheer class, lets win the final.....................for the first time

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jul/12/the-guardian-view-on-english-cricket-a-game-in-need-of-urgent-attention

Another good article in the Guardian - the most telling sentence - For the past month and a half the tournament has often felt more like a private party than a great national jamboree to celebrate a sport that used to be part of the national culture but these days feels increasingly marginalised.

The ECB have missed  a great opportunity to raise cricket's profile. Only limited highlights available on terrestial tv, and those that are, are too late for many who could be getting interested. I am doubtful  the100 ball tournament will do much to raise cricket's profile.

• Like 2

Never particularly been interested in cricket; always saw it as the test version where nothing could happen for days and it being dragged out 

But started watching the world cup with India vs Pakistan and got pretty into it. It's a pity (as said above) that there weren't highlights on or any coverage as I'm sure it would've got a lot more people (like myself) into it.

My friends chuffed I've gotten into it and is taking me along to grace road at some point:sweating:

• Like 2

On 12/07/2019 at 20:50, oxford blue said:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jul/12/the-guardian-view-on-english-cricket-a-game-in-need-of-urgent-attention

Another good article in the Guardian - the most telling sentence - For the past month and a half the tournament has often felt more like a private party than a great national jamboree to celebrate a sport that used to be part of the national culture but these days feels increasingly marginalised.

The ECB have missed  a great opportunity to raise cricket's profile. Only limited highlights available on terrestial tv, and those that are, are too late for many who could be getting interested. I am doubtful  the100 ball tournament will do much to raise cricket's profile.

To be fair a lot of this has been arranged by ICC as opposed to ECB. 

ICC literally take control of everything. At Old Trafford, They’ve had to have coaches arranged between the football ground (appointed car park spaces) to the cricket ground. At three or four of the grounds, counties players have been unable to enter the ground and get their equipment 

I've really enjoyed this World Cup, I've been down to three of the games and what I've seen on the telly has been great. 

Also been wearing my England cricket shirt out and about round Glasgow (the best thing about it is the word ENGLAND in big letters on the front). 

I'm listening to Tailenders just now to get in the mood and now I'm right up for this. 

Bring it on. 

:scarf:

• Like 2

I want England to win, of course, but if the Kiwis were to win I wouldn't be at the same level of gutted as, say, when City got relegated in 2008, or any one of England's exits on penalties from the World Cup. 

There is a lot to admire in the New Zealand team.  Probably my 3rd favourite team after England and West Indies. 

Let's see some good cricket. 

26 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Not feeling confident on this one, a mate was telling me about lords not suiting our style etc so now not too hopeful

Our record isn't great there.

But no better time to change that!

NZ openers are in bad form so get them early...

21 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

I want England to win, of course, but if the Kiwis were to win I wouldn't be at the same level of gutted as, say, when City got relegated in 2008, or any one of England's exits on penalties from the World Cup. 

There is a lot to admire in the New Zealand team.  Probably my 3rd favourite team after England and West Indies. 

Let's see some good cricket. 

New Zealand in recent years have been great value, the series against them played in a good spirit and no tedious mind-games like we'll get in a few weeks time. They are punching well above their weight and Williamson is a sensational player.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MattP said:

Good toss to lose that, think we would have bowled first anyway.

Thought you'd have batted first as well. The record of batting first bodes well for you. 

Edited by StanSP