Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Cricket 2019

6 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I'm genuinely not trying to piss on anyone's chips by the way, both teams knew the rules going in to the match and England won fair and square according to them. Congratulations. I've said before, I don't hate or wish ill on the England cricket team and I do mean that. Don't take this as my usual anti England saltiness. 

It just seems to devalue the bowlers a bit if wickets mean **** all. Surely counting wickets has more value than counting boundaries? 

I'd understand if both teams were bowled out for the same total or both completed 50 overs with the same wickets and total. 

It just seems a bit like the odds were stacked against the team that are better in the field than with the bat. 

Hats off to both teams though it was a ridiculously exciting spectacle, loads of my mates that don't even really care about sport that much let alone cricket were watching and getting seriously involved because of the drama. It was gonna be harsh on whoever lost, I do feel for the kiwis. 

Shame it's all over because its been brilliant drama the last few weeks. I didn't anticipate caring as much as I have. 

Doesn't sit well with me either, but :dunno:

It's rather like football teams in group stages on the same goal difference and the team with the most goals goes through, which is a slap in the face to the team with a great defence.

Edited by Trav Le Bleu
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Innovindil said:

C'mon man. The super over is such a rare thing in cricket that a term like odds were stacked is a bit OTT. The odds marginally favour the side with the biggest hitters, granted. But in the end it would have been settled with 1 run, hardly asking for the world is it.

Oh yeah I mean the whole thing is obviously fine margins. Two teams score identical runs totals inside ten wickets / 50 overs and obviously they're both about on a level and only split by the narrowest of gaps. 

I really do mean it - congratulations. 

I'm not trying to wind anyone up. I mean, technically, aren't Wales world champions too now? :whistle:

Guest ttfn
5 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Jason Roy's run out. 

And Roy looked like he might have cost us about 2 balls earlier.

So much drama in the last hour of that game - Stokes was 2 inches from being caught on the boundary in the penultimate over - that was game over if he’d gone then. Then obviously the nonsense with the “six” and, the super-over, both sides having somebody throwing themselves towards the crease knowing that if they got there they won the game and falling short.

I’ve never seen anything like that in sport. 

Just now, ttfn said:

So much drama in the last hour of that game - Stokes was 2 inches from being caught on the boundary in the penultimate over - that was game over if he’d gone then. Then obviously the nonsense with the “six” and, the super-over, both sides having somebody throwing themselves towards the crease knowing that if they got there they won the game and falling short.

It emphasises just what a great sport it can be with so much thrilling action. 

Really feel for NZ to lose in such a way but somebody had to. Credit to them and Kane Williamson definitely deserves player of the tournament. His captaincy when it came to fielding positions and bowling choices were brilliant. Got majority of NZ runs too by a mile. 

3 minutes ago, ttfn said:

You'd be absolutely pig sick if you were a kiwi tbh. 

1 minute ago, Paninistickers said:

I actually think Stokes was considering blocking the next ball. He was definitely uncomfortable with those extra runs

He was - he was saying don't count them - but those are the rules. It's pure odd luck.

Guest ttfn
1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

You'd be absolutely pig sick if you were a kiwi tbh. 

Of course you would, they deserved to win that game, the fact they lost the game despite scoring the same amount of runs even after the super over and losing fewer wickets seems grossly unfair.

Unbelievable spirit from Stokes, Buttler and Archer though.  

5 minutes ago, ttfn said:

Of course you would, they deserved to win that game, the fact they lost the game despite scoring the same amount of runs even after the super over and losing fewer wickets seems grossly unfair.

Unbelievable spirit from Stokes, Buttler and Archer though.  

I don't know about deserved to win. I'm not sure either team deserved to lose but maybe that's different. 

The six at the end when they put a foot on the boundary, it was sickening but it was a mistake. Arguably even letting the ball hit Stokes and run for extras was a mistake, even if an incredibly freak one. 

But certainly as a fan it must feel like the world is absolutely against them there.